• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Evolving Aloy (new character model and visual updates)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's not about makeup . It's the agenda by some Western game companies to uglify female characters . No coincidence that all the base models are very good looking IRL but end up like a chameleon-human cross breeds in games .

Look at how Kojima's characters always stay faithful (in some case , prettier) to the models , makeup or not
fragile-lea-seydoux-death-stranding.jpg

margaret-qualley-as-mama-death-stranding.jpg

model2-quiet.jpg
There's nothing wrong with Aloy's model.

You have adults complaining that she doesn't look like some pinup model. It's just ridiclous.

CitizenZ

Banned
The look of Aloy is the least of the problems from my POV. Im sure its a fine game, but i just don't care for the rainbow look apocalypse. I mean even with all this tech it presents the #1 issue when it comes to presentation, everything looks like it just got out of the makeup chair and wardrobe. Nothing looks aged, why?

The devs literally stated they wanted to make her uglier than the model. THAT is what is ridiculous.
I haven't seen the movie but Google: Charlize Theron Monster. And there are definitely more subtle examples from movies.
GG haven't gone to an extreme, it could be that they're just going for a more "average" looking female design (but only the character designer could explain it).

And gaming used to have a lot of "ridiculous" oversexualised female character designs - and personally, just as I didn't mind it back then, I don't mind the character designs in today's games.

Last edited:

MrPotato

It's not about makeup . It's the agenda by some Western game companies to uglify female characters . No coincidence that all the base models are very good looking IRL but end up like a chameleon-human cross breeds in games .

Look at how Kojima's characters always stay faithful (in some case , prettier) to the models , makeup or not

model2-quiet.jpg
Why do Gamers get a bad 🌯?
German Hops German Hops You can find your answer here ^

aclar00

The look of Aloy is the least of the problems from my POV. Im sure its a fine game, but i just don't care for the rainbow look apocalypse. I mean even with all this tech it presents the #1 issue when it comes to presentation, everything looks like it just got out of the makeup chair and wardrobe. Nothing looks aged, why?

I kind of get you, but most of the previous landscape is gone, say for a few metal structures that for the most part are covered with flora. There was a 1000 year difference between Aloys time and the actually apocalypse too right (cant remember)? Plenty of time for plants to rebound and take over and create the beauty lanscape we see.

Reactions: Isa

Thats the best part of the game…the earth reclaimed the planet. Everything looks brand new and untouched. It’s in contrast to the burned out arid landscapes in other post-apocalyptic games. It makes sense for the plot also, this earth didn’t fall victim to nuclear fallout. So everything could properly grow back the way it was before

410514-horizon-forbidden-west-Horizon-II-Forbidden-West.jpg

FIbKYinWUAENz9Q

It has its own color palette and identity outside of other games for that reason

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I haven't seen the movie but Google: Charlize Theron Monster. And there are definitely more subtle examples from movies.
GG haven't gone to an extreme, it could be that they're just going for a more "average" looking female design (but only the character designer could explain it).

And gaming used to have a lot of "ridiculous" oversexualised female character designs - and personally, just as I didn't mind it back then, I don't mind the character designs in today's games.

Personally I don't care either way. I just find it hilarious the terminology they used. They could have simply said "We designed her as we wanted." and left it at that. Instead they actively stated they wanted to make her uglier because of "male gaze" and some asinine other reasons.

mckmas8808

Banned
Personally I don't care either way. I just find it hilarious the terminology they used. They could have simply said "We designed her as we wanted." and left it at that. Instead they actively stated they wanted to make her uglier because of "male gaze" and some asinine other reasons.

Where did you see that quote?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Where did you see that quote?

I was trying to find it and found out I was mistaken so I will take the L here.

https://wccftech.com/guerrilla-creating-horizons-iconic-aloy/ - Was the closest I could find for an official source. Numeorus forums mention what I stated and give a general "N4G" stamp but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else can if it actually exists?

mckmas8808

Banned

https://wccftech.com/guerrilla-creating-horizons-iconic-aloy/ - Was the closest I could find for an official source. Numeorus forums mention what I stated and give a general "N4G" stamp but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else can if it actually exists?

I'm not blaming you are all, but there are alot of gamers that just have an agenda against certain devs who are choosing to make their female characters look more diverse. And when I say diverse and mean in the sense that they aren't all Playboy pinup models with a gun in their hands. You know they want to make them look............like real women in the real world.

The devs literally stated they wanted to make her uglier than the model. THAT is what is ridiculous.
Isn't the whole setting of the Horizon world based on human's being back in a stone age setting therefore meaning hygiene wouldn't be as much of a priority and cosmetics wouldn't exist therefore making women less attractive than they are today?

I would like to think this would be the motivation for the devs in making Aloy less attractive than your average female.
Aloy looking like a tarted up Megan Fox would stand out like a sore thumb in a game with such a setting as Horizon.

MrPotato

Looks like gamers were the one with an agenda afterall lol.

vpance

It wasn't about male gaze, it was something like making her look less feminine because they didn't think a dainty young girl wreaking havoc on robo dinos would be believable. :pie_eyeroll::messenger_grinning_smiling:

Lol what?

Wonder how people groom themselves in that universe. Are there small machines they use like robotic versions of the Flintstones home appliances?

GymWolf

Because what you see is new stuff created by ia and machines, the old buildings from the old world are aged like you ask.

The world in horizon is pretty young because it was builded from basically 0.

model2-quiet.jpg
Japanese developers are normally great at scanning faces and modeling and keep the models accurate and faithful to their real life counterparts. Look at RE3: Remake and Yakuza for more great examples.

I thought I heard something like that as well. I never understood that mentality. If you want an uglier or more grounded looking model, why get a pretty model in the first place? Just get a plain-Jane or homely looking female and call it a day. I don’t have a problem with Aloy looks, but if that’s true that is ludicrous.

demonstr8

I can't even pinpoint what it is they did to her face but she looks a little bit repulsive now. I think it was even worse than the original reveal where she didn't look right relative to the original.

Jada_Li

Banned
Can anyone point to the official source of the claim, "The developers made Aloy to look ugly."? Because I am not finding it but I did find some of the early concept art for Aloy and the developers thoughts and direction of how they wanted to create her. I also went ahead and bought the art book for Horizon Zero Dawn to learn a bit more.

"Some fans" are the ones complaining how Aloy looks ugly and do not like how she looks in the sequel. It appears she has a rounder face but it could be how the lighting is hitting her face giving the appearance of a less defined jawline, thus looking like a rounder face. Regardless of whether she has a rounder face or not is really trivial unless she may be pregnant but I doubt it, as Aloy is still too much into her youthful adventures exploring the wilds, helping others and learning more about the ancient civilization of the Old Ones and their technology.

Perhaps it is true, that some males and perhaps some females too, have an issue with how women are represented in video games concerning not looking like Victoria Secret models . Because you know, all women are feminine looking and all men are masculine looking. No such thing as diversity in the real world.

===

Edit: It's so annoying to reread something I've wrote to completely get a different meaning than what was intended. Unfortunately I can often think of various things at once and easily crossover thoughts into other subjects, thus muddling what I was trying to say.

Yes, there is a difference, generally speaking, about how various creators from differing backgrounds and cultures might envision what to them is considered a strong looking female. Is that an issue though, considering that all cultures have their own beliefs, thought processes, beauty standards, ways of life and so on? Of course, not everyone within a culture/society agrees or follows along. When it comes to incorporating diversity, it means to me, that there are all kinds of people with different walks of life. Concerning specifically women since Aloy's appearance is the subject matter, realistically women all look different and not every woman cares about how she is visually presented to the world, to a certain extent. Some are more down to earth and focused on character over appearance, though that does not mean she doesn't care about her appearance but that is not what is most important to her. Especially in terms of impressing others by looks alone.

Aloy is a huntress and her character design portrays that along with her personality in how she dresses for practicality. Comparing how she looks from the first game to the sequel, she mostly looks the same to me with improved skin/freckle rendering and her hair looks a bit more detailed and so on. I don't really have any complaints about how she looks. What I am concerned about is how much more involved did they make the gameplay and what new things can Aloy learn and do. From what I have seen, thus far, her new moves and her new outfits look amazing. I cannot wait until Horizon Forbidden West comes out because I have a feeling it's going to be good and again become another favorite game of mine. I enjoy the story, the characters, the gameplay, the challenge, the quests, the graphics, the skill tree, the outfits, the looting...pretty much everything. I'm only sad that this is not on PC day one but I understand why not.

To sum up, everyone looks how they look and yet are made fun of because of the superficial who prioritize what their definition of beauty is to them. Whether in the real world or talking about a fictional character, everyone's true colors show.

Last edited:
Many Western developers are part of an agenda to normalize transgenders.

You put masculine-looking portrayals of women everywhere in mass media - movies, games, tv - and the brains of young people (who consume a lot of media) eventually accept this as how women are supposed to look.

When the brainwashing is complete you can put trannies everywhere - all over TV, movies, music, politics - and people will be totally unaware.

Western media: TV, games, movies are not about creativity anymore, they are social engineering tools.......

if you really want to find creativity, you have to go into the smaller, independently produced media

Last edited:

MrPotato

You put masculine-looking portrayals of women everywhere in mass media - movies, games, tv - and the brains of young people (who consume a lot of media) eventually accept this as how women are supposed to look.

When the brainwashing is complete you can put trannies everywhere - all over TV, movies, music, politics - and people will be totally unaware.
We get it man, you're insecure about your sexuality.
The Big Devs are out to get you. Go and Hide before it's too late

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Please tell me you don't consider Aloy as an example of your ridiculous claims you've stated above. There is nothing masculine about her appearance.

Please tell me you don't consider Aloy as an example of your ridiculous claims you've stated above. There is nothing masculine about her appearance.
I don't agree with him, but:

"There was some debate on the subject, but the team decided that the original model portraying Aloy looked like she would "cry if she broke a nail."
By adding weight and masculinity to Aloy's face, they added the look of "strength" and "intimidation.""

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don't agree with him, but:
I'm not sure where this quote is from but regardless, that is just terrible wording all around. I think what they were trying to say was that they made her appearance more appropriate considering the game's character, circumstances, and unique environment, which is completely fine and necessary. It really has nothing to do with "more masculine vs more feminine".

I'm not sure where this quote is from but regardless, that is just terrible wording all around. I think what they were trying to say was that they made her appearance more appropriate considering the game's character, circumstances, and unique environment, which is completely fine and necessary. It really has nothing to do with "more masculine vs more feminine".
They were trying to say what they just said. They made her face more masculine so she could look stronger.
Masculine strong. Feminine weak. Therefore women must be like men. Pay attention and you'll notice it's a trend in western culture.

Top Bottom