• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Evolving Aloy (new character model and visual updates)

Fake

KJ3LaTS.jpg
MsB6kyK.jpg
ncXs4d6.jpg

i love ai!
dVos6NE.jpg

VCjT4Hd.jpg
wnsKWbn.jpg
wtPJzdA.jpg
kRPzQaO.jpg

Damn... Twitter community gonna cancel A.I

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
They never intended for Aloy to look like her. She is too pretty. Just the base which they could then make their own alterations.
This thought process is fascinating to me.

- Pay for likeness
- Oh she too pretty
- Make ugly.

Like, why pay for the likeness then? I guess for her to do facial mocap, because the faces are "sorta" the same? I mean usually you want the 3d face to be pretty close (not always a big deal though).

Also, pretty people would exist in Aloy's world just like they do in ours. GG's decision is so strange.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I am glad gaming industry has move away from the way it used to design female game characters. It’s also a sign of gamers and game creators getting mature age wise or otherwise. For me personally, it has made it a lot easier for me to play games in front of my kids specially in front of my daughter. I recently finished HZD and there was no issue playing that game when they are around. I also have Neir Automata but having second thoughts playing it when they are watching.
I agree, being feminine and conventionally attractive and wearing sexually empowering clothes is just appalling. I much prefer looking at big butch women who look like men, talk like men and behave like men. That’s progress right there.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Ummm...WTF??! Is this not an oxymoron? How can you "push of the boundaries" of a system that is 6-8x more powerful (with 100x faster IO) and not compromise the lower system? How can the system with less than 20% of the raw performance and no 3D audio, no Dualsense features, no SSD get an "equally immersive experience"?

I love Guerilla, but this is everything that is wrong with this "cross gen" phase (or at least I hope its a phase). Sure the game looks like a marked step up from the original game but again the engine is still based on the PS4. PS5 will just push more pixels and frames (once again) which is NOT "pushing the boundaries" of the next gen platform.
Yeah it's just marketing. We know Horizon Forbidden West isn't really pushing the PS5 silicon to its limits even though it looks good. It's not being built from the ground up for the PS5

Mister Wolf

This thought process is fascinating to me.

- Pay for likeness
- Oh she too pretty
- Make ugly.

Like, why pay for the likeness then? I guess for her to do facial mocap, because the faces are "sorta" the same? I mean usually you want the 3d face to be pretty close (not always a big deal though).

Also, pretty people would exist in Aloy's world just like they do in ours. GG's decision is so strange.

The funny part is they used Lance Reddick in the game and he looks exactly like himself proving it has nothing to do with the talent not being able to match the model's likeness.

It is what it is. The stuff that displeases me too much i just won't support it. Videogames are a dime a dozen and there is always something new worth playing or something old that got overlooked. I'm just now playing Psychonauts for the first time and its fun as hell. Can't believe I slept on it all these years.
I just beat part 1 for the first time very recently. I couldn't believe how much it holds up. Psyched to start part 2 soon. Giving it a tiny bit of breathing room.

Tripolygon

Banned
The funny part is they used Lance Reddick in the game and he looks exactly like himself proving it has nothing to do with the talent not being able to match the model's likeness.
I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Lance Reddick voice and likeness was used for the character with extreme body modification. Alloy is a fictional person with a real person used as a base to create her likeness but voiced by Ashly Burch. Vanasha looks like the voice actor while Olin looks nothing like the voice actor. Each character has a certain look they are going for and if the voice actor matches then they go with their look and make some adjustments to fit.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe its weird...but I think shes way too fine(to the point of ending bland). As if they're giving her nothing but normal tunes here and there out of fear. The actress is pretty but her face in the game is just ok.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
My main problem is her character front and center. So damn bland and generic despite all the constant chatting to herself. I was hoping for a more interesting world, I read all the lore and it was just boring and uninspired. For a pseudo-rpg I was hoping for more. The action is okay, but most of the game is an exceptionally barebones Ubisoft clone. A pretty game mind you, but I'd rather play something more appealing artistically and especially story-wise. There's sadly not much to separate her from other Mary Sue's.

Its also actually pretty cool and impressive what the pc modding community has done for her model. And then the gorgeous women that have roleplayed her. My girl was browsing the PS5 dash and saw the Horizon community spotlights, and was upset that the in-game model doesn't try to be more "attractive" like the women cosplaying. I get her point. But sadly that's just not in the cards for many western media developers. So even my girlfriend continues to be more weeaboo than me. She loves getting dolled up and I appreciate it. Not sure if I'll be picking this game up honestly, and I know sure as hell she wont after her tirade last week.

I hope for a better game design wise, more meaningful content that rewards exploration, character development, and a story that motivates me to want to play it all the way through. I'll wait for impressions from the community.

AGRacing

Gold Member
FQrxIpK.jpg
NSoyu67.jpg

They've played with her cheekbones. Made her eyes look smaller as a result. The cheekbones protrude out .. easily visible on the left side of Aloy due to the lighting. That's one hell of a cheekbone... and it isn't the one they started with.

Now... I would grant anyone the opinion these are both good lookin' ladies. That's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.... but I'm curious as to why they'd bother to start with a model and then make a change to the structure of her face.

The "why was this done?" conversation and the biases involved in that thought process is definitely interesting and worth having. To start with an actress or model and then make changes... are you trying to make her tougher? Less feminine? Did you accidentally pick a model you thought looked weak later? Did her face look wrong (in their opinion) after the 3D modeling was done? To change something there must be a reason.

If I were the agent of or this actress or model or whatever she is... I would disallow any artistic license on the basic shape of her/my face. It's a bad representation (in my opinion). The same thing happened to the Jesse Faden actress. Both don't do the original model justice.

vpance

They've played with her cheekbones. Made her eyes look smaller as a result. The cheekbones protrude out .. easily visible on the left side of Aloy due to the lighting. That's one hell of a cheekbone... and it isn't the one they started with.

Now... I would grant anyone the opinion these are both good lookin' ladies. That's not an issue as far as I'm concerned.... but I'm curious as to why they'd bother to start with a model and then make a change to the structure of her face.

The "why was this done?" conversation and the biases involved in that thought process is definitely interesting and worth having. To start with an actress or model and then make changes... are you trying to make her tougher? Less feminine? Did you accidentally pick a model you thought looked weak later? Did her face look wrong (in their opinion) after the 3D modeling was done? To change something there must be a reason.

If I were the agent of or this actress or model or whatever she is... I would disallow any artistic license on the basic shape of her/my face. It's a bad representation (in my opinion). The same thing happened to the Jesse Faden actress. Both don't do the original model justice.

To paraphrase, they said they manned the face up because having a feminine looking character doing the ass kicking Aloy does wouldn't seem realistic.

Top Bottom