• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West Delayed to 2022 - Original Leaker of Horizon: Zero Dawn PC

If you are happy with your gaming situation now there is no need to jump into next gen... And I'm saying this as a Switch, PS5 and Series X owner. The party isn't gonna truly start till 2022/2023. Gamepass and now are great if you want to play lots of games but if you want new next generation experiences? Neither have made the case yet.

Spiderman, Demon's Souls, Ratchet, Returnal and Horizon alone will have all justified the first year jump for me

Krisprolls

Banned
Good for you bro. I played Spiderman on PS4 Pro and outside of the loading times it felt same on PS5. Demon Souls is an ok game I guess. Ratchet, Horizon and Returnal are not out yet.

Demon's Souls is an ok game now :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I read it all. It's the most next gen game there is right now. An absolute masterpiece. 92 rated on metacritic by the way.

Most people can only dream of getting a 92 rated "ok" exclusive like that on their console day one (or even year one). I feel blessed with my PS5.

Last edited:
Demon's Souls is an ok game now :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I read it all. It's the most next gen game there is right now. An absolute masterpiece. 92 rated on metacritic by the way.

Most people can only dream of getting a 92 rated "ok" exclusive like that on their console day one (or even year one). I feel blessed with my PS5.

It's a 2009 game with a new coat of paint. There is literally nothing next gen about it.
If an Assasins Creed 2 (another 90+ metacritic game from 2009) remaster came out at the PS5 launch and looked like Valhalla (which looks better than Demons Souls), nobody would be bragging about that either, no matter how high it scored 'again'.

The best looking piece of software we have so far is Hivebusters..and it's cross gen.

are you the forum police? Lol Read what the person I responded to had replied to my post. I was replying to what he said to me simple.

Freeze punk I'm here to confiscate all your TP.

128027.jpg

Krisprolls

Banned
It's a 2009 game with a new coat of paint. There is literally nothing next gen about it.
If an Assasins Creed 2 (another 90+ metacritic game from 2009) remaster came out at the PS5 launch and looked like Valhalla (which looks better than Demons Souls), nobody would be bragging about that either, no matter how high it scored 'again'.

The best looking piece of software we have so far is Hivebusters..and it's cross gen.

Nice one, now I know you didn't even play it. It was remade from scratch. It has nothing to do with the 2009 game. Graphics, sound, everything is new. 60 fps. Instant. Next gen.

The most beautiful game there is right now. Incredible lighting. Incredible sound.

You don't know what you're talking about. :messenger_winking:

Hivebusters... Give me a break :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gears-5-Hivebusters-DLC-graphics-06.jpg

vs Demon's Souls :

4500556.jpg

thumb-1920-1081795.png

You need to get your eyes checked... "Coat of paint" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
the visuals are next gen.

dOgqVEN.gif

ezgif.com-crop4adde1f81379db76.gif

wN9hlRn.gif

Valhalla is indeed a great looking game, but demon souls is better in pretty much every graphics category. character models, lighting, texture detail, and effects.

Yes, that's not close really. Valhalla looks good, but Demon's Souls is completely on another level.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
yeah, its one of my favorites too. I have beaten the game almost 15 times and I look forward to this bit every time. it still gets me. great audio too.

Found a couple more amazing looking shots.

855c21a6cc493f8f522f6ba202464afc2b2f320d.gif

138af1f16050850d8d2f6961a72a4a694cc406b8.gif

Just a "coat of paint" they said. But are you sure Hivebusters doesn't look better ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thanks for the wonderful gifs.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I swore iff demons souls ps5 after i got the platinum, but these gifs are making me want to go for another play through. Also hive busters looks really fucking good, dont get what the joke is

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I swore iff demons souls ps5 after i got the platinum, but these gifs are making me want to go for another play through. Also hive busters looks really fucking good, dont get what the joke is

It looks nothing like the best looking next gen game though (which is arguably Demon's Souls). Look at the gifs and then Hiverbusters pic, Hivebusters clearly looks one gen behind, especially the lighting.

People laughed because of the over the top claims he made, in itself Hivebusters doesn't look bad.

Last edited:

WildBoy

Breath of the wild, Mario 64, Twilight Princess and Halo Combat Evolved say hi. And they were all original games. This is the first time in Sony first party history they have had a metacritic highly rated game at launch... A remake of an old game that they didn't even develop in the first place... Just cos a game has a high metacritic doesn't mean it's for everyone. Also when you have already played it on PS3 it's not a new game for you. Tbh a remake of a highly critically acclaimed game like mario 64 DS at launch of a console is an easy safe bet. So yeh souls is on OK game.

Krisprolls

Banned
Breath of the wild, Mario 64, Twilight Princess and Halo Combat Evolved say hi. And they were all original games. This is the first time in Sony first party history they have had a metacritic highly rated game at launch... A remake of an old game that they didn't even develop in the first place... Just cos a game has a high metacritic doesn't mean it's for everyone. Also when you have already played it on PS3 it's not a new game for you. Tbh a remake of a highly critically acclaimed game like mario 64 DS at launch of a console is an easy safe bet. So yeh souls is on OK game.

Critics rated Demon's Souls 92/100, which is not at all an "ok" rating.

Feel free to disagree but you're clearly in the minority here. That's huh... your opinion, like the Dude said. :messenger_winking:

Some people hated Breath of the Wild too. Doesn't make it less of a masterpiece, does it ? Why the saltiness by the way ? I said nothing against Nintendo...

Last edited:

WildBoy

Totally agree! And it's a 3 player coop online. Coalition are wizards. MS best studio at the moment in my opinion. When most of your time can be spent on graphics instead of world design of course Demon's souls is gonna look good. But Hive Busters image quality has to been to be believed. It's super fun to boot.

WildBoy

Critics rated Demon's Souls 92/100, which is not at all an "ok" rating.

Feel free to disagree but you're clearly in the minority here. That's huh... your opinion. Like the Dude said. :messenger_winking:

Some people hated Breath of the Wild too. Doesn't make it less of a masterpiece, does it ?
I don't think you got the point I was trying to make... Don't worry keep patting yourself on the back. I'm happy be in the minority as I was when I championed the game when it came out on PS3 and I got it on Chinese import. But times have changed and the game isn't the masterpiece it once was as it has been well and utterly trounced since then. The best playstation launch game was Astro Bot by a mile.

WildBoy

It looks nothing like the best looking next gen game though (which is arguably Demon's Souls). Look at the gifs and then Hiverbusters pic, Hivebusters clearly looks one gen behind, especially the lighting.

People laughed because of the over the top claims he made, in itself Hivebusters doesn't look bad.
Hivebusters one gen behind!? That is hilarious! Especially the lighting?! Brilliant...

Krisprolls

Banned
I don't think you got the point I was trying to make... Don't worry keep patting yourself on the back. I'm happy be in the minority as I was when I championed the game when it came out on PS3 and I got it on Chinese import. But times have changed and the game isn't the masterpiece it once was as it has been well and utterly trounced since then. The best playstation launch game was Astro Bot by a mile.

You're entitled to your opinion, some people prefer hamburgers to great restaurants meals, some people prefer Series X to PS5.

Me I liked Astro but I agree with the critics, Demon's Souls PS5 is a masterpiece.

It's ok to have a different opinion, as long as you understand it's just yours.

Last edited:

WildBoy

If anyone is salty it's you so don't try reverse it my guy. Let's stop derailing this horizon thread.

Phase

I'm actually in agreeance with WildBoy WildBoy on Demon's Souls in some respects. I think it looks fantastic, but I played the shit out of it on PS3 and it's nothing new. Yes, it's a phenomenal game. Bluepoint made the visuals, the sounds, etc. and enhanced practically everything as well as adding some quality of life, but the game runs on practically the same code. It even has the same glitches. The fact that it gets such a high score is just indicative of how good it is in general.

Demon's Souls is a masterpiece, but the fact that a remake is being touted as the best next-gen game is sad. There aren't many good innovative games out. People are starving for one. We'll get one eventually, but Demon's Souls ain't it.

Krisprolls

Banned
If anyone is salty it's you so don't try reverse it my guy. Let's stop derailing this horizon thread.

I just laughed at some bold claims, nothing more, I'm not sure why you're losing your mind here. It's ok to have different opinions.

I don't know what I could be salty about, with PS5 having basically everything from the best games to the performance advantage and the next gen features right now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And really I'd be ok with buying a Series X too if there are great games on it one day and I can't play them on my PC. I was a Game Pass subscriber until very recently...

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I'm actually in agreeance with WildBoy WildBoy on Demon's Souls in some respects. I think it looks fantastic, but I played the shit out of it on PS3 and it's nothing new. Yes, it's a phenomenal game. Bluepoint made the visuals, the sounds, etc. and enhanced practically everything as well as adding some quality of life, but the game runs on practically the same code. It even has the same glitches. The fact that it gets such a high score is just indicative of how good it is in general.

Demon's Souls is a masterpiece, but the fact that a remake is being touted as the best next-gen game is sad. There aren't many good innovative games out. People are starving for one. We'll get one eventually, but Demon's Souls ain't it.

Sure, but the point that was made was about graphics and being next gen. Obviously gameplay is not next gen here since they were extremely faithful to the original, but that wasn't the point here. I must add I loved it all the more for not having completed the PS3 original (I had barely scratched the surface at that time).

If you want more innovative gameplay, you'll never get it in the first year of a new console. Well, you kinda got it at small scale with Astro, but generally you'll have to wait a bit for true next gen gameplay on a larger scale... It has always been like that.

I think we'll be completely wowed by what Sony 1st party will make on PS5 from 2022 on, because the console is extremely powerful, and Sony studios have never been as rich and talented as they are now, with GotY after GotY being released recently. You'll get your next gen gameplay, I'm sure of that, just probably not in 2021.

Last edited:

Honestly I don't think it's a bad thing as long as it's something worthy of being called Next Gen. I mean Digital Foundry seemed really impressed with the visuals. So I don't see why it can't be called a next gen title when the quality is so high with it.

But I do agree that nobody else making a new game worthy of being next gen is pretty sad. But that's not Sonys fault. Demon Souls isn't at fault here in my opinion. Bluepoint did do an excellent job with it and shouldn't be shunned for it.

It's best to look at the ones that didn't deliver next gen games.

Phase

Sure, but the point that was made was about graphics and being next gen. Obviously gameplay is less next gen here since they were extremely faithful, but that wasn't the point here.

If you want more innovative gameplay, you'll never get it in the first year of a new console. Well, you kinda got it with Astro, but generally you'll have to wait a bit for true next gen gameplay on a larger scale... It has always been like that.
Oh it was more about graphics, got it. I have to agree that *for consoles* it's a very nice step up.

Krisprolls

Banned
Oh it was more about graphics, got it. I have to agree that *for consoles* it's a very nice step up.

Even for PC standards it looks great. Definitely among the best graphics overall on any platform.

I've been playing for years both with my gaming PC and my consoles on the same screen (switching between both), only switched to OLED TV and PS5 recently, so I know pretty well what I'm talking about...

Graphical differences between the best PC GPUs and consoles have been minimal since the PS4 Pro / Xbox One X era, mostly due to diminishing returns above 1080p.

I actually decided not to upgrade my PC until some time later because the main reason left was the 60 fps PC versions and now consoles even have that too... They even have 120 fps modes in several games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I agree. I would've preferred if they had done a full blown remake with some brand new boss fights and some new areas. the fact that its the same game made me not even consider it for my goty even though its by far my most played game of last year with almost 15 ng and NG+ runs.

I think both SOTC and Demon Souls are the most basic kind of remakes where they just change the graphics and call it a day. I love them both. SOTC is probably my favorite gaming experience of all time. But I think they could've done far more with Demon Souls with the power they had available. I think RE2 is a far better remake.

With all that said, the little changes they made to the combat made it easily the best in a souls game ever. And that includes Sekiro. It was fast responsive and every hit felt just perfect. I played with every weapon archtectype and their dual sense implementation just doesnt get enough praise. Especially after launch when they added certain after-sound effects to the dual sense speakers. I played AC Valhalla right after DS and it was like swinging my sword through water. there was no feedback in game or in the controller. I dont think i wouldve done 15 runs of the game if the combat didnt feel so good with even the most unwieldy and largest of swords.

Phase

Obviously.

When people talk about Demon Souls being next gen they are mostly talking about the visuals.

The gameplay and level design are from the PS3 era but the visuals are next gen.
I can only hope Forbidden West blows everything out of the water graphically when it releases. I think they need it to be superior because the gameplay will probably be fairly similar to Zero Dawn.

Krisprolls

Banned
Obviously.

When people talk about Demon Souls being next gen they are mostly talking about the visuals.

The gameplay and level design are from the PS3 era but the visuals are next gen.

Sure, nobody hyped Demon's Souls gameplay as next gen... Only visuals and sound are, obviously.

Last edited:
I can only hope Forbidden West blows everything out of the water graphically when it releases. I think they need it to be superior because the gameplay will probably be fairly similar to Zero Dawn.

Well it is a cross gen game so it's visuals might be limited by the PS4s hardware. They can't have it look and play like garbage on that platform.

Sure, nobody hyped Demon's Souls gameplay as next gen... Only visuals and sound are, obviously.

Pretty much but it still bothers me that some people dismiss bluepoints achievements because it's a remake of an old game.

Krisprolls

Banned
Honestly I don't think it's a bad thing as long as it's something worthy of being called Next Gen. I mean Digital Foundry seemed really impressed with the visuals. So I don't see why it can't be called a next gen title when the quality is so high with it.

But I do agree that nobody else making a new game worthy of being next gen is pretty sad. But that's not Sonys fault. Demon Souls isn't at fault here in my opinion. Bluepoint did do an excellent job with it and shouldn't be shunned for it.

It's best to look at the ones that didn't deliver next gen games.

You could argue Astro is the one having next gen gameplay due to haptics and triggers being so well used. I loved it. That was a smaller scale effort though.

Krisprolls

Banned

They'll probably include haptics and adaptive triggers. I hope they'll also think of new ways to play. For example, the overpowered I/O could allow us to fly extremely fast over the map and it could be made to good use here by making us ride dino birds. Not an easy thing to add though, because such freedom usually breaks games.

This I/O could also make time travel or world travel possible at blistering speed. Not sure it's useful here though. Could be.

Last edited:
I own both. So my argument is coming from a balanced place.
iYmLiPA.jpg

Not really. You can still own both and have a really strong preference for one system over the other. I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One X and I'm definitely not neutral nor do I pretend to be. I mean Dealer owns a PS5 and we all know how he's like.

Breath of the wild, Mario 64, Twilight Princess and Halo Combat Evolved say hi. And they were all original games. This is the first time in Sony first party history they have had a metacritic highly rated game at launch... A remake of an old game that they didn't even develop in the first place... Just cos a game has a high metacritic doesn't mean it's for everyone. Also when you have already played it on PS3 it's not a new game for you. Tbh a mi remake of a highly critically acclaimed game like mario 64 DS at launch of a console is an easy safe bet. So yeh souls is on OK game.

So, in subsequent posts, you diss Spiderman for "being the same" than Ps4 ( even if It play at double the frame rate with RT refleclion, make use of the dualsense features and has instant loading ) while you acclaim fairly straight port from late generations GameCube and Wii U games as the best launch titles ever...?

Last edited:

WildBoy

So, in subsequent posts, you diss Spiderman for "being the same" than Ps4 ( even if It play at double the frame rate with RT refleclion, make use of the dualsense features and has instant loading ) while you acclaim fairly straight port from late generations GameCube and Wii U games as the best launch titles ever...?

Breath of the Wild is portable on switch. Twilight princess uses motion control on Wii. All far more important than loading and visual bumps to how a game actaully plays. I didn't diss Spiderman in fact I applaud them for making a game that ran so well on ps4 pro with that fidelity. The only problem I had with miles was the final boss where I got intermittent stutters. On PS5 i had a few crashes. But the instant loading helped a lot to get me back in after a crash.

Top Bottom