• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West Delayed to 2022 - Original Leaker of Horizon: Zero Dawn PC

Horizon wasn't shown in a bad light from a developer that took a well oiled franchise and kind of had a mixed bag of reception. killzone was never as big to the heights of halo franchise so them moving on from it to something different benefitted them.

And they made a home run. 343 took an already great IP that had up till their handling multiple entries loved by everyone. Then they made halo 4. Which campaign wise I loved, but it's multi was shit. Halo 5 was the reverse of that, and MCC was a trainwreck and unplayable up till the past or so year.

They announced in 2018 a new halo, then showed a trailer in 2019 that looked great for being a trailer. Then showed gameplay in 2020 and it looked really rough, and maybe if they had put 2021 people would not have raged as much? But also it was in such a state that people questioned what was going on at 343. Which then more people with sources reported on, and we now know more of the story.

It's all about perception and setup. Sony has set expectations by showing us a game in trailer form where it was not a engine trailer like Halo's 2018 was. Also they are not using some brand new engine, they are using DECIMA, so if there is a delay it's not because of engine tool issues, or work flow issues. It's more compounded by people for over a year working from home. All evidence on first party when looking at what has come out and whats about to come out show PS5 developer environment to be in a more mature complete state than where xbox was.

Sony gave us launch games, and is giving us Ratchet, MLB in next couple months.

Thats why it feels like there's s double standard so to speak. One company mismanaged a lot of their platform and software last gen, the other proved that they had their shit together.

I think I would place Horizon in the same boat as Hellblade 2. While we didn't really get any gameplay from either of those games what they showed us looks good so far. Things can change once they show the gameplay but at the moment they haven't shown anything terrible.

Halo Infinite on the other hand had a pretty bad gameplay reveal. So bad they the backlash made the developers delay the game.

Mostly the reason why we really can't compare Halo Infinites showing to Horizons FW showing.

the problem is when sony delays a game people only see it as a good thing but shit all over Microsoft for doing the same thing

That's not true because it isn't the same thing. Halo Infinite was delayed after a poor showing but Horizon FW isn't being delayed for the same reason.

If Sony shows Horizon FW and it looks like crap then delay it. I'm pretty many people will criticize them for a poorly developed game.

Birdo

Banned
22..... 2 + 2 = 4.......4 The Players.

They were trying to tell us all this time about their games all being pushed to '22.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That's not true because it isn't the same thing. Halo Infinite was delayed after a poor showing but Horizon FW isn't being delayed for the same reason.

If Sony shows Horizon FW and it looks like crap then delay it. I'm pretty many people will criticize them for a poorly developed game.

does anybody know the reason for it being delayed though? no gameplay has been shown only a trailer. it could be they cancelled the ps4 version and wanna rework the ps5 for all we know

NullZ3r0

Banned
I'll steal a ton of covid vaccines and give them to the horizon 2 development team. If it means horizon 2 releases this year dammit.
A vaccine won't un-ring the bell of months of precious development time being lost last year when countries went into lockdown. Anything that required onsite work like PCAP had to be delayed. Delays in one part affect others. The only way games like this could release this year is an unreasonably high amount of crunch for months on end. Not going to happen unless they want to risk open revolt.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
does anybody know the reason for it being delayed though? no gameplay has been shown only a trailer. it could be they cancelled the ps4 version and wanna rework the ps5 for all we know
I'd say low user base.

Almost all of Sony's heavy hitters come later when the install base picks up. With all the stock shortages, releasing all these games in year one across maybe 5 million consoles is pointless.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'd say low user base.

Almost all of Sony's heavy hitters come later when the install base picks up. With all the stock shortages, releasing all these games in year one across maybe 5 million consoles is pointless.
its not like people won't buy them in a years time when they get their PS5, was that what people were saying around here as to why Spiderman MM sales were lower was people were waiting to get the PS5 before buying it

Fake

Would be great if they decided to drop the PS4 version and go all in optimizing it for the PS5.

Is a double edge sword. I posted on the State of Play thread about this role situation. IDK whats happening at Playstation HQ right now, but they looks like pretty confusing about that.

For Horizon full potential, they need to make dev team dedicate full time at PS5 hardware, without making any other version, to fully use PS5 potential, but they will lost money because PS5 install base is tiny.

So, if they right now drop the Horizon PS4 version, they will lose much money AND gonna be forced to make a PC version much early to get the money back.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
A vaccine won't un-ring the bell of months of precious development time being lost last year when countries went into lockdown. Anything that required onsite work like PCAP had to be delayed. Delays in one part affect others. The only way games like this could release this year is an unreasonably high amount of crunch for months on end. Not going to happen unless they want to risk open revolt.
I should have put that i was joking around and that my post was not to be taken seriously.

You are right though. A vaccine won't undo months of lost work.

iQuasarLV

Question 1: Why are these studios incapable of transitioning to a remote work environment? How hard is it to setup VPN access to the onsite render farms for artwork, and program the rest from home?

Question 2: At this point, are the studios using Covid-19 as an excuse to milk the cow a little more? To stretch out the check writers a little longer?

Obseration 1: I am sure glad I decided to just wait out this generation. The previous two were horrendous for game libraries at launch, but this time, yeesh. Took my $500 and bought a Traeger. Been getting that sweet grillin on. Never knew a steak tasted so nice coming from a pellet grill versus a sear/oven. But I am digressing.

Observation 2: More and more studios are just straight up announcing delays because ... Covid... I worked remotely this last year setting up IT for 2 schools in one of the largest districts in the US. If I could get teachers into their class computers to run things remotely, I can sure as hell expand that to making progress on a game that is close to 100% made on computers either directly or remotely. Mo-cap and sound production aside. Sigh, I don't know it just sounds like laziness, or incompetence to not have systems in place to keep business trucking along in case your workforce is incapable of physically being present. In. a. game. studio.

Observation 3: I just don't see any surges of PS5 sales this year because where are the games. If more and more system sellers are delaying I just see ho-hum sales for hardware because of delays like this.

sncvsrtoip

One more pesimistic thought if Horizon is 2022 and crossgen then proper ps5 version Horizon 3 around 2027 when ps6 come out (similar story with Gow which is also probably crossgen)

Fredrik

Guerilla released KZ2, KZ3, and KZ:SF in the same time it has taken to make Horizon 2

what is going on with this studio? Did it all turn to shit when Herman left?

that is wildly inefficient

a sequel should not take way longer than the original
Did Hermen Hulst leave the studio?

Anyhow, games take longer to make now, goes for all studios, same thing on Xbox.

Elios83

Yup. And he is also the same guy who said that Zelda BOTW is releasing on PC.

I already didn't believe this rumor, but now Jason Schreier has also debunked it.

It's kinda incredible that some people for drama purposes are even listening to random people on twitter when the CEO of the company was basically boasting and positioning this as their biggest 2H 2021 title three days ago :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Not that I believe that in February we can totally rule out further delays for end of year releases but it's clear that right now they're on schedule with this game and I'm not surprised considering that Horizon Forbidden West is basically a cross gen title that started development in 2017.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony needs this out this year for the simple reason that Ratchet & Clank is PS5 exclusive, and they need a big PS4 title for the holidays.

First God of War, then GT7 and now Horizon? Hmmmm...Ratchet and Clank might be next considering it seems like we are getting a lot of footage from it. Well, at least there is enhanced backwards compatibility and RE8 should be really good.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Sony needs this out this year for the simple reason that Ratchet & Clank is PS5 exclusive, and they need a big PS4 title for the holidays.
I don't think so. Most core/hardcore gamers, fans and fanboys already got a PS5 or will when Sony has stock. The rest doesn't give a shit about exclusive games. Those are more than happy with their yearly EA, 2K, COD, GTA, Fortnite and so on and won't complain.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

That sucks. I remember when Sony fans were dissing MS for only having Halo for this holiday. Karma, I guess. Looks like we'll continue playing mostly cross gen games with Elden Ring being the cream of the crop.

Last edited:
agree but still sony fans were more negative about it than anybody else and they won't even play the game.

Microsoft didn't delay the game because of people that would never buy it. There were plenty of Xbox owners that gave negative feedback as well. If they didn't the game would have released as a launch title.

Sony fans were not the ones that delayed the game. I suggest you look somewhere else.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Damn, if true this year is quickly going from jam-packed to quite empty. I hope this info is not legit.
For some companies, think Polyphony Digital that travel a lot to do research, COVID-19 was a big problem, but I think a lot others are riding on it to reduce costs (some might be unprepared and not trusting their devs remotely much if at all) and avoid hiring the massive amounts of temps that are normally used to complete the last stretch of the project and if they can (nobody wants the kind of bad publicity CyberPunk 2077 got) they can then drag the games to 2022 and hope the market is still hot.

Blond

Banned
They should delay PS5 launch to 2021
LOL even though I secured one (I’ve never gotten a next Gen console at launch, I entered last Gen with the PS4 pro) I was saying I wouldn’t be mad if it had to come at 2022 because it just made sense given that the tech they launched with was in it’s infancy.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Microsoft didn't delay the game because of people that would never buy it. There were plenty of Xbox owners that gave negative feedback as well. If they didn't the game would have released as a launch title.

Sony fans were not the ones that delayed the game. I suggest you look somewhere else.

have a look at the halo threads on here, you know how much sony fans got involved. anyway when you look at the new screenshots released the game is looking good

have a look at the halo threads on here, you know how much sony fans got involved. anyway when you look at the new screenshots released the game is looking good

Sony fans are not the ones that caused the delay though. I saw the recent screenshots if it wasn't for Halo fans trashing the initial reveal you wouldn't be getting those improvements.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony fans are not the ones that caused the delay though. I saw the recent screenshots if it wasn't for Halo fans trashing the initial reveal you wouldn't be getting those improvements.

well back own topic, if Horizon does get delayed we still aint seen gameplay to know what the delay was

Varteras

Gold Member
Exactly. The delay wasn't because of backlash from "Sony fanboys". It was because the entire gaming community looked at what they showed us and meme'd it to hell and back. It was hyped to be their big showpiece. Proof of how awesome Xbox was going to be. It was a steaming pile and everyone made sure Microsoft knew that. Truth is, if Microsoft listened to die hard Xbox fanboys they would have released the game as it was and it would have been even more embarrassing. Halo Infinite will be much better for it and I'm looking forward to playing it. Just hope 343 can finally rekindle that old Halo magic.

Exactly. The delay wasn't because of backlash from "Sony fanboys". It was because the entire gaming community looked at what they showed us and meme'd it to hell and back. It was hyped to be their big showpiece. Proof of how awesome Xbox was going to be. It was a steaming pile and everyone made sure Microsoft knew that. Truth is, if Microsoft listened to die hard Xbox fanboys they would have released the game as it was and it would have been even more embarrassing. Halo Infinite will be much better for it and I'm looking forward to playing it. Just hope 343 can finally rekindle that old Halo magic.

I do agree that fanboys did meme it to death but Microsoft isn't going to pay attention to those people. What they were worried about were the ones that were actually planning to buy the game. Many of them were disappointed with the reveal and it was enough for Microsoft to delay the game.

You don't delay a huge launch title just because a couple of PlayStation fans made fun of Craig.

NinjaBoiX

Honestly, I feel like this is a big factor for these delays is the install base of the new consoles. With the pandemic causing shortages for parts, they likely want to wait a bit until they’ve sold more consoles.

I’m thinking more and more as time goes on that I might be better to just wait another couple of years and get the mid-gen refresh of whichever console o choose, looks like were hardly going to be overflowing with compelling software in the near future.
Jeah i dont expect much after the first Part
Yeah, I’m not a huge fan of Horizon tbh. I mean it’s fine and everything, fun enough to play but meh.

I don’t even think it’s all that flash graphically if I’m honest, especially coming from TLOU2.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Everyone keeps saying what’s PlayStations big fall game? But in reality I think Sony only had ONE big exclusive all last gen in the fall which was death stranding.

Top Bottom