• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West Delayed to 2022 - Original Leaker of Horizon: Zero Dawn PC

Elios83

They just confirmed late 2021 the other day.
This guy is just speculating given the delays that many games are facing.
In any case it's impossible to tell in February if a game will meet a November release with 100% confidence.
We'll know much better in June.

Papacheeks

Banned
They just confirmed late 2021 the other day.
This guy is just speculating given the delays that many games are facing.
In any case it's impossible to tell in February if a game will meet a November release with 100% confidence.
We'll know much better in June.

Yea, unless the GQ article was done pre-delay for horizon it still is on track for later 2021.

I'll start worrying after May-June if we dont see or hear anything on it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah, seems folks forgot how barren 2014 was and with no COVID at that. I'd argue 2021 will end up being better than 2014 at least.

i think the only big new games in 2014 for new consoles were watchdogs, ac unity, infamous second son, shadow of mordor, and dragon age inquisition

Ar¢tos

2022 is going to be packed... Nearly everything was delayed to it.
Unless 2022 becomes 2020 Part III (covid-wise)

Haggard

Banned
Glad I decided to scalp instead of playing myself. I´d have played DS and then that box would have been collecting dust for 12+ months with the recent batch of delays.

martino

2022 is going to be packed... Nearly everything was delayed to it.
Unless 2022 becomes 2020 Part III (covid-wise)
it also means there will be lot of fails (and since time is not expandable the competition for it will exist between all medias)

Piggoro

Also the guy that promised 15 exclusives for the Series X launch. No reason to believe him.
The original leaker Anton Logvinov is a legitimate Russian videogame journalist with lots of connections in the whole industry. I've been following him for almost 20 years now. Since he was a small time writer at the inception of Russian video game journalism.
He is legit.
I'm still super intrigued by his statement that Battlefield 6 won't be something that we all expect and want. At least not just BF4 but for 2021.

Last edited:

Ellery

Wish I could bet on video game delays like wall street bets on falling stocks.

Just short every video game date. Guaranteed winner

Andodalf

Banned
I think we'd know if it was confirmed delayed internally. It may be missing milestones and heading that way though

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I guess ms should have run a bunch of videos of incomplete games that had no chance of coming out last summer too? Pr mistake or being honest with gamers instead?

dorkimoe

Lol, the next gen console releases were utterly pointless. They could have easily waited until later this year.
Yup. Anyone who thought these games were actually coming this year are clueless. I’m really tired of people acting like they have to have a ps5 right now because they’re missing so much. No, no you aren’t. (This can apply to Xbox as well).

geary

Except Horizon never looked terrible when it was first shown to us
If you compare bullshots with actual gameplay...at least Halo show some actual gameplay...For what i know, HFW could have looked exactly like Halo...

did we see actual gameplay though?

Halo? Yeah we saw actual gameplay with that. With how bad it looked they decided to delay because of the negative feedback.

As for Horizon it's the sequel to one of the best looking games on the PS4. It won't be another Craig situation.

horizon zero dawn GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought GT7, Ragnarok and Horizon 2 were all coming in 2021?

You guy should know Sony does this all the time when hyping new systems. They do this to get as many people buying their console right away, so when they announce a delay it's too late for any early adopters.

Look at their track record of year one first party games for all systems. Not that great. The heavy hitters really come in a few years.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Glad I cancelled my PS5 order. This year is dead. Only really Demons Souls worth playing.

no Spider-Man or Ratchet is not worth it. GT is meant to be out this year and HZW. lol

at this point the best thing to do is wait for the inevitable PS5 Slim in 2023. Maybe the games will be out by then. Will be easier to get hold of a console…and prices will cheaper. Win. Win. Win.

• Fire
Reactions: e&e

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

You guy should know Sony does this all the time when hyping new systems. They do this to get as many people buying their console right away, so when they announce a delay it's too late for any early adopters.

Look at their track record of year one first party games for all systems. Not that great. The heavy hitters really come in a few years.
So true. The PS4 sucked until like 2015. Even at that we only really had Bloodborne + Until Dawn. It really took off in 2016.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Year of re-play PS4 games that have been enhanced for the PS5. At least that's my situation since I've pretty much ignored 99% of single player games from the PS4 era, so it's a treat playing them now.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Sorry about this news guys. I was hoping that at least one of the top tier games would be released this year. I can understand saying it's useless for the next-gen consoles to have released in 2020. What a bummer.

mitchman

Gold Member

So you want them to release something unfinished like Cyberpunk 2077, in a era when most are working from home with limited access to internal systems and test setups? I don't think most people realize what impact not having the creative environment at a work location has on output and efficiency.

GymWolf

I wonder if that's the case. It could be that Sony is worried about releasing so many extremely expensive AAA games this year when chip shortages will severely limit the number of PS5s they can sell to consumers this year. Sony expected to sell 15 million PS5s in its first year, this forecast was changed to 11 million in September and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony is forced to lower the sales forecast again in the upcoming months.

It just doesn't make sense to release single player games that are expected to sell 10 million or more copies at a time when PS5 has such a small consumer base because of outside circumstances.
I'm sorry, but what are these many extremely expensive AAA games released by sony this year?

I would argue that both demons remake, spidey short spinoff and ratchet are not nearly as pricey as horizon, gow, tlou and other bigger games from other studios and kena\returnal are more AA than AAA if we talk about budget. (Kena looks great but the studio is literally formed by 2 people...)

I get what you say, but this year is pretty poor for sony if we talk about big pricey AAA games unless some big news doesn't come out during the rest of the year.

Well i don't care what the reason is, one year more in the oven is ALWAYS a positive thing when you have a capable and organized studio (so no like bioware) and a big ass open world game.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Was my most exited game for this year, Halo Infinite looking pretty good and comfy right now with all Sony delayed games.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but what are these many extremely expensive AAA games released by sony this year?

I would argue that both demons remake, spidey short spinoff and ratchet are not nearly as pricey as horizon, gow, tlou and other bigger games from other studios and kena\returnal are more AA than AAA if we talk about budget. (Kena looks great but the studio is literally formed by 2 people...)

I get what you say, but this year is pretty poor for sony if we talk about big pricey AAA games unless some big news doesn't come out during the rest of the year.

Well i don't care what the reason is, one year more in the oven is ALWAYS a positive thing when you have a capable and organized studio (so no like bioware) anda big ass open world game.

Just because they're not as pricey doesn't mean they're AA cheap to make.

Returnal, Horizon and Ratchet and Clank are their three scheduled AAA games for this year. That's a very good output if they manage

Last edited:

GymWolf

Just because they're not as pricey doesn't mean they're AA cheap to make.

Returnal, Horizon and Ratchet and Clank are their three scheduled AAA games for this year. That's a very good output if they manage
AAA is literally judgying the budget of a game tho.

And no offense, but if horizon get delayed, returnal and ratchet are not nearly enough to be a very good output.

Let's be honest here, if this was not the first year but a middle year, this output would be hilarious and trolled to infinitum in here, even considering a short spin off and a remake of a ps3 game at launch.

Thank god we had a lot of great indies and games from other third parties because if it was for sony alone, this would be kinda of a sad year for ps5 owners, not the saddest first launch on sony history (probably the opposite) but still sad in the big scheme of things. (Okay sad is a big world but you get my point)

Horizon is their saving grace for this year, but like i said, i prefer a 2022 release to have the best game possible and because i don't care about losing a stupid release war list in a forum like some people.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Both Microsoft and Sony should have delayed the consoles till holidays 2021. Produce more machines untill then. Have more exclusives finished like Halo etc.

If true, this will have gone from one of Sony's strongest years in terms of 1P to one of its weakest (2019 arguably being their weakest over the past decade, but I expect 2021 to be better off of Rift Apart alone).

All of the heavy-lifting will end up being done by timed 3P exclusives (Kena, Deathloop, maybe Sifu etc.), with the exception of Rachet & Clank: Rift Apart (Returnal I'm almost tempted to say is 1P but technically speaking Sony doesn't own Housemarque yet so I guess it should still be counted as an "extended-timed" 3P exclusive).

Combined with the Japan Studio news, doesn't necessarily feel all that great tbh.

I would argue having them release prematurely is better for the consumer. The sooner they release, the sooner early adopters start testing them, the sooner manufacturers start addressing and correcting faults in production lines, the sooner the consoles start aging and thus, decreasing in price. By the time PS5 has a worthy catalogue you will most likely be able to buy it at a lower price, and with the hardware also being far more reliable than it was in its initial launch stage.

No; Sony and Microsoft should be the ones testing these systems and addressing/correcting faults. Why are people paying full-price for systems Day 1 being asked to be QA beta testers? What world is this?

I wonder if that's the case. It could be that Sony is worried about releasing so many extremely expensive AAA games this year when chip shortages will severely limit the number of PS5s they can sell to consumers this year. Sony expected to sell 15 million PS5s in its first year, this forecast was changed to 11 million in September and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony is forced to lower the sales forecast again in the upcoming months.

It just doesn't make sense to release single player games that are expected to sell 10 million or more copies at a time when PS5 has such a small consumer base because of outside circumstances.

I'd understand this if it were, say, Rachet & Clank getting delayed, because AFAIK that is a PS5-only title. But that's not the situation here; Forbidden West was already confirmed for PS5 & PS4, so I don't see how chip shortages for PS5 affect a title that is cross-gen. At worst, they could just delay the PS5 version for a later date with maybe some more content and of course the better graphics/performance.

Just willing to accept that mo-cap work and further polishing might be taking them longer than anticipated for both versions of the game, hence it potentially getting delayed. Kind of disappointing tho because that's now three Sony 1P games that were initially promised for 2021 getting delayed to 2022 (GT7, Ragnarok, Forbidden West).

Resident Evil 8 will have 2021 GOTY award locked for sure

Most tracked and trending game in twitter/ social media thanks to lady dimitrescu

Nothing else ( comparably as big ) is coming this year

Not that RE8 is going to be bad (looks like it'll be excellent), but just goes to show how shallow criteria for GOTY (or really most of these award shows) tends to be since nowhere in your comment did the game's objective or relatively subjective quality once come up.

These awards are seemingly popularity contests and, probably similar to the Oscars, what companies can get the most "backstage" pull for their titles at the award proceedings through various incentives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom