• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Call of The Mountain Review Thread

Romulus

VR newbies? I'd wager a large portion of early adopters had the first PSVR or at least have tried the Quest line of headsets.
Most casuals curious about VR would probably have picked up a Quest 2 already.

Well, there's Breath of the Wild too.

The gameplay is just too restricted to be for VR veterans.

Kilau

Gold Member
Lotta people shitting all over this and PSVR2 in general, even with the limited visuals & tracking of the original PSVR everytime I set it up (after 14hrs sorting through all the wires) it always brought a smile to my face at how immersive the basic games where and this just looks like such a generational leap in all areas that I'm like a fucking kid at Xmas counting down till I get my hands on it.

I couldn't give two shits how short this game is or what the mechanics are like, I just cannot wait to immerse myself in that world, words and videos cannot describe what it's like to be in VR and be transported to other worlds, playing the crytek Dino game on PSVR1 there's a moment where you look over the landscape and the sense of scale was incredible even with the terrible graphics same with the dinosaurs, you are literally in awe at the size and scale of everything and Horizon is a whole other league with sharp detailed graphics even in the distant areas. Fuck the game I'm looking forward to the boat ride section so I can sit back and just look around me in awe without the game getting in the way
I really enjoyed Robinson on PSVR, the climbing in that was very neat so I’m excited for this with better controls and graphics.

mckmas8808

Banned
And they complain about one wire. And we getting this in VR!

fKYIo08.jpg

This whole post was straight trash! Darn near every sentence. Like this maybe the worst post of the week on GAF. Tech demo? VR headset soreness? Mandatory charger? Like wth man.
You obviously didn't read the linked articles, that was the reviewer's take and as someone that owns basically every major game device for 3+ decades, with the exception of PS4/PS5/PSVR it would be good feedback for Sony/SVR2/this game to see such perspectives e.g. the reviewer raises a lot of points I also have for myself. For example the climbing nature of this game has the gamer looking up a lot, the headset weight is pressing down on the reviewers nose etc. There has been a pretty common issue in all VR headsets around how long and how comfortable the headsets/weights/game actions are. It's a new technology still.

It's ok, I'm not trying to shit on your beloved PSVR2 or Horizon, there are other takes out there too. If you're loving the game and think it is a 10/10 grand slam home run, then more power to you mate.

If Ninty/Xbox threads have every point of view under the sun, Sony threads enjoy much the same.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'll eventually get it but not the first week. Between birthdays, Valentine day, and PSVR I've spent a nice chunk recently.

I have a few other PSVR 2 games to keep me busy for a minute.

mckmas8808

Banned
You obviously didn't read the linked articles, that was the reviewer's take and as someone that owns basically every major game device for 3+ decades, with the exception of PS4/PS5/PSVR it would be wise for Sony/SVR2/this game to see such perspectives e.g. the reviewer raises a lot of points I also have for myself. For example the climbing nature of this game has the gamer looking up a lot, the headset weight is pressing down on the reviewers nose etc. There has been a pretty common issue in all VR headsets around how long and how comfortable the headsets/weights/game actions are. It's a new technology still.

It's ok, I'm not trying to shit on your beloved PSVR2 or Horizon, there are other takes out there too. If you're loving the game and think it is a 10/10 grand slam home run, then more power to you mate.

If Ninty/Xbox threads have every point of view under the sun, Sony threads enjoy much the same.

It's not beloved. It's just that some of the takes are nonsense. It's silly to make the wire some bad selling point when it legit provides a service to a better game. There's an actual reason as to why it exist.

It's like complaining that a Xbox Series X isn't portable like a Switch. It's silly.

Plus most are saying it's one of the most comfortable headsets on the market too.

call of the mountain is basically a next gen VR launch game, so i dont expect rave reviews, should be around 75/100

REAL PSVR2 games will be coming in the future.
This is the moment where rave reviews are required for people to get excited about a new VR headset. I wouldn't downplay the importance of that. VR in general has been out for quite some time.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Got to love those 100/100 scores.....yeah right...

Of course...all of these gaming sites and influencers got a $600 system for free and of course were 'encouraged' to give it a good score.

Sorry....but no VR game is a 100/100.

Fuck right off!

It's pretty much what I expected it to be from all the footage leading up to launch. A visual showcase for what PSVR2 can do and it really does look amazing (should look mind blowing in the headset, when you can actually see the scale of the machines) while the gameplay is pretty standard VR stuff, which is not bad, just nothing really new and I'm totally fine with that.

I'm looking forward to going along for the ride, it seems like it's worth it overall and the 79 MC score is far from bad.

Got to love those 100/100 scores.....yeah right...

Of course...all of these gaming sites and influencers got a $600 system for free and of course were 'encouraged' to give it a good score.

Sorry....but no VR game is a 100/100.

Fuck right off!
I could understand someone giving Superhot a 10/10.

People who have played VR in here are understandable a little skeptical. But for people new to VR, I have no doubt you'll see many impressions of people playing it and having a transformative experience.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I could understand someone giving Superhot a 10/10.

People who have played VR in here are understandable a little skeptical. But for people new to VR, I have no doubt you'll see many impressions of people playing it and having a transformative experience.
I own a PSVR (PS4) and was blown away by Rez, Astrobot and a few other things. But nothing was a 10/10 or life changing. But it was cool.

mckmas8808

Banned
Jesus fucking wept.. look at that, if you are not impressed by that shot and have tried VR before so you know it'll look 100x better due to scale, depth, 3D, etc.. then fuck me man, gaming isn't for you

100% agreed. And it's just a launch game.

Superhot for me is the only thing that blew my mind. It's probably a 9.5 for me.

So basically a 10 then. Like, why act as if a 9.5 is that far from a 10?

Top Bottom