• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Call of The Mountain Review Thread

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I think this kind of mentality doesnt help. Just because its a VR game doesnt mean you arent spending $60 on it. Doesnt mean you arent spending $550 on a brand new hardware for it. We have to treat it just like any other AAA game.

Half Life Alyx has proved that you can have a 93 metacritic AAA game. That's what Sony aims for with their first party titles and its disappointing that their only big AAA release for VR is more of a mixed bag.
Lots of “copium” being consumed in this thread. 79 Metacritic for your flagship launch title for new hardware is not good, at all.

Sony, more so than most other game companies understands that games are literally everything - above hardware, marketing, and hype. And 79 isn’t the quality of game that’s going to convince someone to buy your brand new niche system.

Hopefully the “surprises” in store that people keep counting on are some actual good, system selling games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lots of “copium” being consumed in this thread. 79 Metacritic for your flagship launch title for new hardware is not good, at all.

Sony, more so than most other game companies understands that games are literally everything - above hardware, marketing, and hype. And 79 isn’t the quality of game that’s going to convince someone to buy your brand new niche system.

Hopefully the “surprises” in store that people keep counting on are some actual good, system selling games.
79 on day one. It will settle around 75 when all the late reviews come in.

But yes agreed. They shouldve had their AAA studios work on VR. Firesprite is no Valve. The problem is that Sony's first party studios were already taking 5 years to make PS4 games, god knows how long to make PS5 games, and now they simply cant afford to get sidetracked by VR. Which means their B studios have to deliver AAA games and thats a tall task for any studio. I highly doubt Druckmann or Barlog give two shits about VR. And we need directors like them to truly make VR shine.

RafterXL

And this shit is why, even though I've got a PSVR2 about to ship, I'm not still sold on console VR. If you took away the VR zealots, people who think ANYTHING in VR is a life altering event, this game would score even lower.

I don't want a stupid ass climbing simulation with on rails combat in a 4 hour game. I don't another rollercoaster horror game, or a 4 hour Star Wars "experience". I want full fledged AAA Horizon, Fallen Order, or Dying Light, etc. from start to finish and we are probably just never going to get there on console.

For every RE8 or GT7 you've got a thousand tech demos pretending to be video games and it sucks for those of us who want traditional games in VR. It's also why VR hasn't caught on nearly as much as it otherwise should have and probably never will. The promise of VR was a lot more exciting than the reality thus far.

Kokoloko85

Gt7 > Alyx shrugs
Totally different games. I wouldnt say its better because complete different genres. I have GT7, its awesome without VR. Ill play on PSVR2 but they need more.

Something that is made for VR. Half Life is way better than Horizon Call of Mountain etc they need a TLOU big game for VR. They have the talent, need to use it

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Decent. They need great for new tech worth that much. It will be remembered as a glorified demo.

PSVR2 needs a Half Life Alyx moment. I think only Santa Monica or Naughty Dog are capable of doing that atm for Sony. Not Guerilla’s B/C Team

Sony clearly isn't willing to pour that type of investment into the platform.

It's a catch 22 situation. Consumers are waiting for that must-play, AAA, premiere experience before adopting, and Sony is waiting for more consumers to adopt before investing further.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Sony clearly isn't willing to pour that type of investment into the platform.

It's a catch 22 situation. Consumers are waiting for that must-play, AAA, premiere experience before adopting, and Sony is waiting for more consumers to adopt before investing further.
There gonna have to at one point. They have the money to make 2-3 big AAA games for VR.

Kokoloko85

Well, it's going to go one way or the other. They're either going to fully invest into the platform in order to attract more customers, or it's going to go the way of PSP/Vita.
PSP sold like 80 million, they done well.
But it will go the same way as Vita, Move, PSVR1 if they dont

Time to drop climbing in VR games. It's not fun.
So you're saying there no potential for a rock clinbing simulator game? Heck, the parkour games in VR are pretty good for what they offer.
And this shit is why, even though I've got a PSVR2 about to ship, I'm not still sold on console VR. If you took away the VR zealots, people who think ANYTHING in VR is a life altering event, this game would score even lower.

I don't want a stupid ass climbing simulation with on rails combat in a 4 hour game. I don't another rollercoaster horror game, or a 4 hour Star Wars "experience". I want full fledged AAA Horizon, Fallen Order, or Dying Light, etc. from start to finish and we are probably just never going to get there on console.

For every RE8 or GT7 you've got a thousand tech demos pretending to be video games and it sucks for those of us who want traditional games in VR. It's also why VR hasn't caught on nearly as much as it otherwise should have and probably never will. The promise of VR was a lot more exciting than the reality thus far.

Man, take a deep breathe, you're in good hands.🙌

I seen some reviewers say PSVR2 is the new standard for Vr gaming. Sony themselves have adressed that concern, about games, as initially VR is being innovated by Indie developers. They'll do that because its another medium for them to thrive. I believe Sony said they're asking their 1st party studios to make hybrid games in the future, meaning games that can be played flat screen or VR compatible, like GT7 and RE8.

Its not like its so easy to put in a Vr mode for a game like God of war, too much work. Games have to be developed with VR compatibility from the start. The PSVR2 tech in particular will elevate the experience and allow devs to add new interesting game mechanics, such as creatures that move when you close your eyes.

Last edited:

Reallink

Decent. They need great for new tech worth that much. It will be remembered as a glorified demo.

PSVR2 needs a Half Life Alyx moment. I think only Santa Monica or Naughty Dog are capable of doing that atm for Sony. Not Guerilla’s B/C Team

Guerilla had nothing to do with this game aside from minor lore/character oversight and perhaps giving Firesprite access to some existing game assets, their name was used for cache and marketing. Firesprite is the developer and their body of work speaks for itself, perhaps best known for The Persistence (a mediocre indie rouge-like space horror game on PSVR1). I actually expected this to score in the 60's, so they've overdelivered.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just upset this is in horizon universe...I hate it.

I wish they bad done a sequel to the blood game.

Get some cockneh gangster action. Loved that on psvr

ahtlas7

70 m f’ing bucks!
Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

reinking

Gold Member
Looks fun, and visuals are certainly impressive.
But for an almost full priced game releasing as the highlight to a $549 accessory I expected more than a 6 hours game that's reportedly primarily about climbing and ,seemingly (at least from what I see), made almost entirely of recycled assets.
Never mind. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

PeteBull

79 on day one. It will settle around 75 when all the late reviews come in.

But yes agreed. They shouldve had their AAA studios work on VR. Firesprite is no Valve. The problem is that Sony's first party studios were already taking 5 years to make PS4 games, god knows how long to make PS5 games, and now they simply cant afford to get sidetracked by VR. Which means their B studios have to deliver AAA games and thats a tall task for any studio. I highly doubt Druckmann or Barlog give two shits about VR. And we need directors like them to truly make VR shine.
The thing is, if they put top talent and gave them top money, thats literally taking away all of those from actual ps5 games, that arent niche and will sell in big amount of copies;P
I bet not many playstation owners would be happy if A-Teams from all sony 1st party devs got money and next 3years of time to work on psvr2 game coz instead it could have been ps5 games;p

PeteBull

8/10 is usually considered pretty good. If this is a big win for naysayers then we're in good shape.
Its not even 8/10 tho, compare it to all first/2nd party ps5 games/games released after ps5 launch, its score(on avg which means quality) is only better from ghostwire tokyo https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/ghostwire-tokyo but not by much and it could even tie it or drop below- if u had ps5 console only with ghostwire tokyo as its showpiece, would u be happy with it or not so much(and costing 950$:p)?:p

Last edited:

Crayon

Its not even 8/10 tho, compare it to all first/2nd party ps5 games/games released after ps5 launch, its score(on avg which means quality) is only better from ghostwire tokyo https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/ghostwire-tokyo but not by much and it could even tie it or drop below- if u had ps5 console only with ghostwire tokyo as its showpiece, would u be happy with it or not so much(and costing 950$:p)?:p

If ghostwire was the only game to that was allowed to be reviewed...

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The thing is, if they put top talent and gave them top money, thats literally taking away all of those from actual ps5 games, that arent niche and will sell in big amount of copies;P
I bet not many playstation owners would be happy if A-Teams from all sony 1st party devs got money and next 3years of time to work on psvr2 game coz instead it could have been ps5 games;p

Totally get that. In that case they need to expand some of their studios

mckmas8808

Banned
You really going to argue the different between a 7.9 and a 8.0?

PeteBull

You really going to argue the different between a 7.9 and a 8.0?
Im arguing that once reviews from normal outlets who didnt get free psvr2 and free game code start dropping its metacritic score will go down for sure, but even if it doesnt, if thats the best system has to offer currently it will be hard to convince ur avg customer to buy it(aka non vr niche freak;p)

Forsete

Really fantastic visuals.

Looking forward to trying it out. Might be my first VR experience, depending on how big the download is.

Who pays $550 for "decent review" games?

Well there are certain people that pay that for systems that gather dust and having no major titles to play for very long periods of time

I don’t think PSVR2 has that problem given it’s adaptation from flat screen supported VR titles and third parties

There’s no “copium” for a well reviewed game in addition to many other well reviewed games

Maybe you have the copium?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Lotta people shitting all over this and PSVR2 in general, even with the limited visuals & tracking of the original PSVR everytime I set it up (after 14hrs sorting through all the wires) it always brought a smile to my face at how immersive the basic games where and this just looks like such a generational leap in all areas that I'm like a fucking kid at Xmas counting down till I get my hands on it.

I couldn't give two shits how short this game is or what the mechanics are like, I just cannot wait to immerse myself in that world, words and videos cannot describe what it's like to be in VR and be transported to other worlds, playing the crytek Dino game on PSVR1 there's a moment where you look over the landscape and the sense of scale was incredible even with the terrible graphics same with the dinosaurs, you are literally in awe at the size and scale of everything and Horizon is a whole other league with sharp detailed graphics even in the distant areas. Fuck the game I'm looking forward to the boat ride section so I can sit back and just look around me in awe without the game getting in the way

mckmas8808

Banned
Im arguing that once reviews from normal outlets who didnt get free psvr2 and free game code start dropping its metacritic score will go down for sure, but even if it doesnt, if thats the best system has to offer currently it will be hard to convince ur avg customer to buy it(aka non vr niche freak;p)

But what if it's not the best that it has to offer currently?

Top Bottom