• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home Networking GAF - VPNs, routers, modems, APs etc

MorgLaw

Neo Member
giphy.gif

That sounds like an ad. Although, I guess all of these posts are kind of like that.
Well everyone shares their opinion and shares the products they tried. Everyone gives advice after trying a program for example. If I like something, I would be happy to share it with other people :)

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
This is my current gear

Modem: Arris SurfBoard SB6141 (3.0 DOCSIS)
Router: NetGear WNDR3400v3

Got supposedly a 500mb connection but I'm not getting those speeds. PC is hardwired and everything else is WiFi

Is my gear too old? I kinda wanna go up to 1gb soon but I know 3.1 DOCSIS is recommended for that

DGrayson DGrayson - you super knowledgeable about this stuff? Can you hook a dude up on a budget? What should I be looking at? Would rather use my own gear and not mess with anything from my ISP.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
got my new modem set up tonight gang
3.1 docsis
looks like i had my ethernet via my ol daisy chained through my router prior
no wonder my speeds were such ass

MScYUM4.png
Jesus Christ Spike. What are you doing? (I actually really like that emoji and their variations and just wanted to post one myself more than anything.)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I picked up a Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n IoT Desktop and installed pfSense on it.

$200

s-l1600.jpg

It caught my eye because it's got two physical network interfaces (as seen above) which I'm using for WAN / LAN. This thing is absolutely sexy and 100% quiet with no moving parts inside. Runs pfSense like a dream, and I'm piping all my traffic through an OpenVPN connection. Even when maxing out my 100mbps internet connection, the CPU only spikes to about 6%. I hear this thing can stall out on gigabit internet connections, something to do with the realtec drivers, but I haven't had that issue (although again I'm only using 1/10th that speed).

It's been a fun and practical project!

TheContact

i use a netgear docsis 3.1 modem and a netgear wifi 6 router. i never bothered with mesh because i get full bars everywhere in my house plus outside in my yard. wifi speeds on wifi6 are crazy but the only device i have that supports it is my laptop

teezzy

Banned
Okay current speed test results are abysmal again

Paying for 500mbps

Getting under 100 download - like 90 or so

WTF

brand new Arris SB8200 3.1 Docsis

Did a packet loss test and everything is solid

ISP is telling me to call the modem manufacturer

I ain't got time for this. Get rekt

Was fine when they I first hooked it up, but now shit sucks

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Paying for 500mbps

WTF

What is your wireless mode set to? g/n for 2.4 and n/a for 5?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
My fucking ps4 gets those speeds wirelessly. Either the internet itself is crap or you have maybe a old wire (doubt it as you tested this earlier)/modem a shit.

Prob your ISP.

teezzy

Banned
My fucking ps4 gets those speeds wirelessly. Either the internet itself is crap or you have maybe a old wire (doubt it as you tested this earlier)/modem a shit.

Prob your ISP.

Yeah I'm right there with you. She asserted that she "highly recommended" I reach out to the modem manufacturer. I will do exactly that, then escalate to a level 2 or level 3 next time I reach out. I'm getting what I pay for one way or another, even if I have to be annoying.

I'm tired for today though.

Thanks Slow. Your input is appreciated.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Paying for 500mbps

WTF

I pay for 100 and barely get up to 30. Most times it hovers between 13-20. ISPs are shit. I'm signed up to change over to a new one, but that's still 6 months or more off, as they are still laying the fiber cables.

teezzy

Banned
I pay for 100 and barely get up to 30. Most times it hovers between 13-20. ISPs are shit. I'm signed up to change over to a new one, but that's still 6 months or more off, as they are still laying the fiber cables.

Turthfully, theyre lucky that I've got all these other obligations I need to juggle and cant be spending that amount of time with tech support atm...
terminator ill be back GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any home security camera systems that are simple and play nice with your networks? I'm trying to give my friend's parents some suggestions.
I personally use the Eufy system. No cameras in the house, everything outside or in my shop. Picked them specifically because they can be set up online, then put into offline mode where they can stream via RTSP to my local NAS because I'm paranoid with my security footage of my house going to "the cloud". Cameras also have an SD card slot where they record to a microSD card as a "backup".

Even if you don't care about your stuff going to their cloud, it seems like a pretty robust system and was incredibly easy to set up. They have wireless cameras, pan/tilt/zooms, indoor, outdoor, doorbells (like Ring) etc. that all come together with a single app.

Top Bottom