• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy shit, can we talk about how bad DICE/EA campaigns have got?

cormack12

Gold Member
I guess after BF4, which I thought had a decent campaign mode, I kind of thought we were done with campaigns when Battlefront landed with no campaign (but a few co-op missions). That seemed ok as most play for MP. I would miss the Cod style campaigns in the long term but understood why it made sense.

Fast forward to BF 1 and we got these war stories, which were kind of a novel idea, they continued through in BF V, on a worse level and in between we got BF II, which I'm playing through now and while it looks pretty, my god it's fucking awful. BF 1 'Friends in High Places' was terrible, but it did have 1 or 2 that were ok. The Italy one were you were Iron Man was also stupid. And the Bedouin end mission (below) really tested my patience.

They all seem to clock in at 4-6 hours, and they seem obsessed with forcing stealth in an FPS which pisses me off no end.

That's not even mentioning that about 30% of Battlefront II seems to be an advertisment or push into squadrons with the amount of X-Wing/TIE/Cloud ship missions. Honestly, if they are going to do this then at least make the missions relevant to classes, vehicles or modes online so they are actually useful and not just a massive waste of time. BF II is a particular shitshow with enemies spawning into rooms as soon as you leave them. If you're going to half ass it this bad then don't bother.

Sincerely
- Fed up

Nico_D

I bought Battlefront 2 from PS sale and played maybe 5 missions . I found it very uninspired and frankly boring. No difference between the characters, weapons feel mostly the same. Not my thing.

fatmarco

I mean this is the same developer who refused to give us things like a Battlefield Normandy landing or a Battlefield Stalingrad or Battlefield Dunkirk in their first return to World War 2 in over 15 years to instead give us boring content or ahistorical content.

The same developer who didn't have French soldiers in a game centered around World War 1, where nearly all the maps take place in France.

The same developer who has heard for over a decade from their fans that Bad Company 2 was their favourite single player experience and yet have done nothing to emulate or repeat that success.

They haven't quite had their priorities straight when it comes to their games recently.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Because 1% of gamers time is spent on the single player component of games compared to multi. Just the way of things...

You get your 8 hour story’s worth on Sony’s yearly exclusive the rest of the market is now multiplayer driven where players will pump 8 hours in a night. Which equals money being spent on dlc...

wipeout364

I disagree about EA as a whole but completely agree about DICE. To be fair though has DICE ever released a good Battlefield campaign, Hardline was kind of fun is a goofy way. EA has been decent with Battlefront 2, Titanfall 2(best campaign of last gen), It takes two, mirror’s edge among others. EA are not amazing but decent.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The last decent one I can remember is Battlefield 3 - which while entertaining was also kind of a poor aping of CoD campaigns. After that they got damned lazy.

Fbh

Yeah last one I played was BF1 and the campaign was basically a glorified tutorial.

At this point I don't know why they even bother. Crap as these story modes are, they are still costing them time and resources that could go towards making an extra multiplayer map or mode.

assurdum

Banned
I already did the same thread a couple of days agos. I have to admit Battlefield V after completed it, is a bit better than Battlefield 1 though fuck the stealth missions, horrid as hell. Anyway I don't understand why they have splitted the campaign in multiple story, the whole game seems shorter than what it is already. Still Jeez what a fucking engine. I was totally impressed about the graphic by my humble PS4 pro. It has some rough spot just in the first scenario with the aliased beam lights but what a spectacle. Can't imagine what Dice will do with the next generation.

Last edited:

elliot5

I've literally never played any singleplayer part of Battlefield. I'm not sure why any resources are spent on it tbh.

I guess after BF4, which I thought had a decent campaign mode, I kind of thought we were done with campaigns when Battlefront landed with no campaign (but a few co-op missions). That seemed ok as most play for MP. I would miss the Cod style campaigns in the long term but understood why it made sense.

Fast forward to BF 1 and we got these war stories, which were kind of a novel idea, they continued through in BF V, on a worse level and in between we got BF II, which I'm playing through now and while it looks pretty, my god it's fucking awful. BF 1 'Friends in High Places' was terrible, but it did have 1 or 2 that were ok. The Italy one were you were Iron Man was also stupid. And the Bedouin end mission (below) really tested my patience.

They all seem to clock in at 4-6 hours, and they seem obsessed with forcing stealth in an FPS which pisses me off no end.

That's not even mentioning that about 30% of Battlefront II seems to be an advertisment or push into squadrons with the amount of X-Wing/TIE/Cloud ship missions. Honestly, if they are going to do this then at least make the missions relevant to classes, vehicles or modes online so they are actually useful and not just a massive waste of time. BF II is a particular shitshow with enemies spawning into rooms as soon as you leave them. If you're going to half ass it this bad then don't bother.

Sincerely
- Fed up

Shit the campaign in the Star Wars Space Shooter(I forget the name I haven't played it in awhile) was setup like a campaign..but it really was really like 90% a tutorial for the multiplayer mode. And I know multiplayer mode was the focus, but it didn't have a lot of content, and I walked away from the game saying to myself that they should have just cancelled the campaign and beefed up/got the multiplayer tighter.

I say all that to say thats how I felt about some of the Battlefield Campaigns too. Like forreal...we didn't need those campaigns, the time spent producing that content could have been dedicated to getting Battlefield 5's multiplayer in a better state than what was presented.

Sincerely
- Fed up

Capitalism. Killed battlefield the push to immitate cod and produce a new game every year because of greed has eaten themselves inside out. They are more focused on creating profits than creating art. The last battlefield for me was bad company 2. 3,4,5 all of the new ones boring. The last cod for me was modern warefare 1,2,3 best one was big red one. On ps2.
And medal of honor frontlines.

Honestly speaking they dont make good games anymore a very few developers do. Even with better graphics and more powerful machines tge ps2 era will forever in history be the golden era. Now gaming has alpt pf cancer. Politics, gender, money, gambling, services, agendas. Completely rotten.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m prepared for the worst when it comes to EA campaigns I remember liking Mass Effect, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Medal of Honor, and Bad Company 2.

kiphalfton

I remember when multiplayer was tacked into single player games. Now it seems like a single player campaign is tacked onto multiplayer games. CoD manages to have good campaigns, and Titanfall 2 is pretty good, with varied environments/etc... BUT I think it's only a matter of time where the single player campaign will be just multiplayer maps with stupid simple objectives.

Naked Lunch

All these people whining about Battlefield single player campaigns are the reason the series turned trash - I put the blame on you.
Play another game for your single player shit.
Battlefield should have always stayed multi only.

V4skunk

Banned
Dice should just get rid of the campaign altogether and concentrate on the multiplayer like the old games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sincerely
- Fed up

So....you just of now realized the campaigns in those games suck?

Since they started doing them with Bad Company, they've always been bad and I've always avoided them. Its why I thought the stupid shit people where crying over BFV was funny as shit, you mean the one mode 90% of BF players ignore and just right into MP or?????

BF is simply not an IP I buy for the story mode and I'd argue the majority that buy BF don't buy it for that reason, so I'd be 100% ok with them just actually no longer doing it tbh.

Top Bottom