• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter: "'Y: The Last Man' TV Series in the Works at FX (Exclusive)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

'Y: The Last Man' TV Series in the Works at FX (Exclusive)

y_the_last_man_a_p.jpg

Brian K. Vaughan's beloved comic Y: The Last Man is coming to television.

FX is teaming with Vaughan and Color Force's Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to develop the dystopian sci-fi comic as an ongoing series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A search is under way to find a writer to develop the series with Vaughan. A director for the potential series has not yet been determined. Y: The Last Man, which is purely in development at this time, will be produced by FX and FX Productions.

FX declined comment.

Y: The Last Man ranks as one of the most beloved and critically acclaimed comic book series of all time. The Vertigo title was first launched in 2002 and revolves around Yorick Brown — the last surviving human with a Y chromosome — and his Capuchin monkey, Ampersand. The series follows escape artist Yorick after the mysterious plague as he sets out to find what might have wiped out the world's male chromosomes.

The news of a Y: The Last Man TV series comes after a long waiting period as rights to the series reverted back from New Line to Vaughan after the company's plans to convert the comics to a feature film were scrapped.

New Line — a corporate sibling to publisher Vertigo — acquired the film rights to the series in 2007 and set David Goyer, Carl Ellsworth and director D.J. Caruso to adapt. The latter wound up walking away from the project after New Line didn't want to produce the saga as a three-film franchise but rather a two-hour stand-alone feature.

In March 2012, Jericho's Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia were in final negotiations to take on the property with J.C. Spink, Chris Bender and David Goyer producing and Mason Novick and Jake Weiner set as executive producers. The latter fell apart in September 2014 when Vaughan announced that the rights were in the process of reverting back to him and the movie was dead.

"We wanted to tell a complete story … but not the whole story," Vaughan said at the time, noting that he had hoped that "in success, we could get tell the rest of our serialized adventure."

If this happens-it's fantastic. It's my favorite comic story ever, and I never wanted a movie, because it would condense the story-a serialized TV show is the only way to do it justice.

Zaph

Wondering when this would happen. Of all he acclaimed sci-fi comics, this one seems seems the (relatively) easiest to adapt into a television show.

Hope this happens. The material is a great fit for an FX style series. Too much would have been lost in a movie adaptation.

harSon

Banned
I need to go back and re-read it. I really enjoyed the graphic novel, but thinking back - it was extremely cheesy. I guess that was part of the charm. Hopefully they don't go too serious with the adaptation.

Dalek

Might be time to read it again then. Props on them using a cover from the last issue to sell the vibe of the show though lol.

I could never find myself to read it again. The ending it too raw and emotional-I've never been more wrecked by any piece of fiction.

Wow.... Y is probably my favorite series ever. Very happy to hear that the film adaptations were canceled for the more suitable format. So, Y, Chew, and Locke & Key are being adapted. Hallelujah, thought were gonna be mired in the sameyness of the Marvel ghetto for forever.

PSqueak

Banned
I hope they don't attempt to explain what killed all men, i loved that aspect of the comic, nobody fucking knew what caused it and theories ranging from diseases, wonky understanding of evolution and even mysticism were all concidered seriously at different points in the comic.

Viewt

This is one of those few comics series where you can straight-up just shoot the pages. It's built-and-ready for a TV adaptation, so I think FX could potentially do a fantastic job here.

Viewt

If she wasn't tied up with Empire, I'd suggest Taraji P. Henson for 355. She's got that innate toughness, while still being really beautiful. She's 40-something, but I mean, she's supposed to be a fairly accomplished government agent, so I don't think they necessarily need to cast someone in their 20s, and I think Henson could easily play someone in their mid-30s.

harSon

Banned
If she wasn't tied up with Empire, I'd suggest Taraji P. Henson for 355. She's got that innate toughness, while still being really beautiful. She's 40-something, but I mean, she's supposed to be a fairly accomplished government agent, so I don't think they necessarily need to cast someone in their 20s, and I think Henson could easily play someone in their mid-30s.

Nicole Beharie would be good

That would have been perfect casting, actually.

At the time, probably.

Also, the producers wanted to know the ending, but Vaughan refused to tell as the series was only a few issues into its run. They came up with something awful instead, but I can't remember the details.

I so hope this happens. I was disappointed when I heard of talks to make it into a movie, but now that they're trying to develop it as a show this could totally work.

Viewt

Nicole Beharie would be good

I sorta remember her from Shame, but I don't watch Sleepy Hollow, so I'm not super familiar with her.

I know Gugu Mbatha-Raw is kind of an "it" actress right now, so maybe her? I'm not sure how good she is at action, though.

Blader

Fuck yes. One of my favorite comic runs of all time, and so perfectly suited to TV. And FX is a great place for it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I....don't know what to think about this. Could be interesting. The mind just cannot fathom how they'll film it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom