• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy joins the list of games that costs $70 on current gen consoles

RPSleon

You want to play day 1? Cough it up. Otherwise wait for a sale like always.
Sales and updates that fix the game.
You get the same experience whenever you have it. May aswell wait.

Its not like pre order incentives are even ever really very good.

Im good for it

Kq6tclE.gif

Codes 208

This was a given. Just about every AAA third party and sony’s first party has hit the $70 mark

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Is the gagging on corp cock some sort of "i aint no cuck" chad talk? The bizarre promotion of accepting a price increase on games from mega corporations is beyond my comprehension. I'd rather struggling indies price their games higher.
Weirdly it is indies that actually take more threatening risks that deserve higher MSRP and they are the ones that get the worst backlash. If they dare trying.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I've been priced out. I thank gamepass every day.

On the flip side, thank the gamers that keep buying the games out of GamePass as if we were in a subscription games only economy they games you get would change and you may not like it if they all became episodic and/or MTX filled… think gaming on mobile where prices cratered.

manzo

Imagine paying for a videogame 70 euros or dollarinos in the year 2022, when the releases are always buggy and rushed. So you get the inferior product day one with inflated prices. What a deal!

Best to buy games one year after release, -50 to -75% prices and most of the glaring issues fixed.

Oh well, already covered:

Is there any point to pre-ordering games anymore? You don't even get the kickass physical bonuses they used to give out back in the day for pre-ordering games so it seems pointless, especially since you never know which new hyped game is going to be the next broken piece of junk. Plus with so many games out now there's barely any time to play everything so I don't see the rush in running out and buying a game for $70 even if it is great.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Ah yes, the $10 next gen tax to cover the monumental cost of setting the framerate limiter to 60fps instead of 30 and the resolution to ~1440p instead of ~1080p.

Every time I go the settings on a PC game and there's like 10 resolutions to choose from I'm like "wow, this feature alone must have cost like $30 million"
But game development is getting costlier and inflation is a thing. You can't spin that.

Keihart

But game development is getting costlier and inflation is a thing. You can't spin that.
As if the big games are not selling expotentially more than what AAA production used to.
The amount of cuck sucking to corporations is unveliavable sometimes, the games that have big budgets and fail should be questioning the budget and not why the consumer isn't paying more, the profits are so big it's ridiculous. No big publisher is starving at 60 dollars a game when they are aiming at selling 5+ millions of copies.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers will prioritize their gaming choices, basically $10 price hike everybody thought $60 was a lot now it’s $70 let that sink in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As if the big games are not selling expotentially more than what AAA production used to.
The amount of cuck sucking to corporations is unveliavable sometimes, the games that have big budgets and fail should be questioning the budget and not why the consumer isn't paying more, the profits are so big it's ridiculous. No big publisher is starving at 60 dollars a game when they are aiming at selling 5+ millions of copies.
Also profits are higher than ever before. You can’t spin that.
Yup.

Game studios seem to have no problem telling gamers their new games are bigger, more expensive and take longer to make. They might even brag a game sold 10 million copies.

Yet, I've never seen one of them ever say their company is doing great and check the latest earnings report showing record sales or profits due to digital sales and mtx.

Gaffers: Don't get fooled by the one sided PR bullshit game employees do. They'll always try to make it look like they are dirt poor and scraping by..... but check their wall street financial forms. Totally different.

Just as an example, Team 17 (the Worms maker) bought out the Hell Let Loose dev for about $80 million. Who even knew this company had that kind of money and corporate borrowing power to do so.

deeptech

Yet i doubt it will join games that cost 60$ yet look like they should cost 70$ or more (Elden Ring).... Trailer reeks of mediocrity

kingfey

Banned
Fewer titles being made as a result of the higher costs. Risk has increased. Selling your game at $70 reduces the risk.
Nope that is just false. Gaming is easy to make now.
$70 at 3m is $210m. 63m will go to the console platform/store. The $147m will go to the dev. (Transportation, marketing, and devs pay cut, game cost).

Games cost 60m-80m to make. The left over would be 87m-67m for them devolopers/publishers. That is another funding for a new AAA game. That is what selling 3m copies at $70 generates for these guys.

KiteGr

I still never pay 70€ for a game.
Nor do I pay 60€.

I always wait for a discounts, used market, and complete editions.
I still haven't bought Sekiro, Elden Ring or any Nintendo games.

Arachnid

Just went from day one to a deep sale or gamepass. 70 dollars for a game is wild. 60 + tax was already pushing it.

Kerotan

The studios can’t manage properly and have escalating costs as a result.

tenor.gif
Well you're the one crying about this. $70 games will be normal by the end of the gen. We live in a world where people spend thousands on pointless MTX. 70 for a full AAA game is a bargain.

Roxkis_ii

I don't see a problem. If you can't afford a game at $70, then don't buy it while it cost $70.

Doesn't seem like a hard concept.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well you're the one crying about this. $70 games will be normal by the end of the gen. We live in a world where people spend thousands on pointless MTX. 70 for a full AAA game is a bargain.
I’m just pointed out that your post saying ‘costs are escalating so they have to charge us more’ is a load of bollocks because of record revenues (y)

Well, everyone was ripping Sony apart for this when they are not the only company embracing this decision. What gets me with the price increase mostly is, we will most likely still be getting microtransactions-riddled games with bugs, glitches, incompleted and cross generation.

If I got to pay $70 at launch, at least try to have the game take full advantage of the expensive hardware I purchased. I told people that this generation will only get greedier and things will get much worst from here folks. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Kerotan

I’m just pointed out that your post saying ‘costs are escalating so they have to charge us more’ is a load of bollocks because of record revenues (y)
There's a reason few games then ever before are being made for consoles. Companies can make bigger profits elsewhere. They need big returns otherwise they'll go elsewhere.

Top Bottom