• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy joins the list of games that costs $70 on current gen consoles

kingfey

Banned
Australian price.
BeXF6Xo.jpg

ckaneo

Making the PS5/Series X version more expensive when they are still releasing the same game on the PS4 and Xbone is so stupid. If you are gonna charge us extra money then you better make sure it was actually built for the more expensive systems.

Harry Potter was even delayed. No reason for it to be 70.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm completely fine with this. It's mind boggling how videogame prices never kept up with inflation and production costs.

Very cheap introductory prices on videogames despite inflation and skyrocketing production costs is part of the reason why we got to live service games, MTX and titles launching with unfinished stories so we need to buy DLCs to get to the bottom of them.

ckaneo

I'm completely fine with this. It's mind boggling how videogame prices never kept up with inflation and production costs.

Very cheap introductory prices on videogames despite inflation and skyrocketing production costs is part of the reason why we got to live service games, MTX and titles launching with unfinished stories so we need to buy DLCs to get to the bottom of them.
Record profits before the price increase and yet never kept up with production cost.

Oh, and now we have $70 games with microtransactions.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Record profits before the price increase and yet never kept up with production cost.

Oh, and now we have $70 games with microtransactions.
Record profits for a few safe bets, massive losses for most attempts at innovation.

If the initial price for games was $70 or $80 from the get go, more AAA experiences could be successful with a lower sales count.
I'm fine with it.

Three

Expect future games for this current gen to be $70 from now on. This is just the US pricing. EU and other countries would be much expensive, than the US price.
Have you been living under a rock? Big hhird party games have been $70 since the launch of these consoles, yes even on the xbox. This isn't a new trend Hogwarts is setting.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
here it's £60 for last gen and £70 for current gen :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i'm sure i'll be able to get a steam key for <£40 so i'm not bothered.

I don't buy full priced games any longer so will get this when on sale. The whole $70 tag for games is insane.
same. the prices are insane and certain publishers are trying to pull the same shit on PC now. looking at you Square Enix. I'm not paying £70 for FFVII Remake :messenger_grinning_squinting: i'll be waiting for them to drop the price. fuck supporting that shit.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Have you been living under a rock? Big hhird party games have been $70 since the launch of these consoles, yes even on the xbox. This isn't a new trend Hogwarts is setting.
Its just following that trend that has been set.
Now this $70 is becoming a normal thing now. All of our games from now will cost $70, instead of the $60, if this keeps going.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sony pushed hard for this trend, creating a few controversies with paid upgrades, but it looks like it is catching on. There isn't an endless supply of money, so I suspect they'll start seeing fewer day one sales and longer tails. AUD$100.00 is already expensive. Now we're looking at AUD$110.00 - or AUD$125.00 for Sony's titles - and then the usual DLC and MTX bullshit on top. Greed's a hell of a thing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If you were looking for a way to blunt ANY positive momentum your game had. . .

Now this $70 is becoming a normal thing now. All of our games from now will cost $70, instead of the $60, if this keeps going.

Except it isn't normal nor is there any rhyme or reason to it even within a studio (FFO is 60 while FORSPOKEN is 70). Same with small studios: THE QUARRY is 70 while Saints Row is 60. TT: Wonderland has locked it's "console optimization" for next gen behind this tax.

None of this was inevitable.

. . . and you want to know why all of the above is bullshit? Because it didn't happen with the previous generation.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If you were looking for a way to blunt ANY positive momentum your game had. . .

Except it isn't normal nor is there any rhyme or reason to it even within a studio (FFO is 60 while FORSPOKEN is 70). Same with small studios: THE QUARRY is 70 while Saints Row is 60. TT: Wonderland has locked it's "console optimization" for next gen behind this tax.

None of this was inevitable.

. . . and you want to know why all of the above is bullshit? Because it didn't happen with the previous generation.
Yes and it'll happen starting from this gen now

Paul Rudd Lol GIF by HBO Max

Three

It was pretty much already a normal thing with all the new big blockbusters from the big publishers COD, BF, FIFA, NHL, HFW you name it. on PS5 or XS every one of these publishers were releasing $70 big games. It was already normal. Why are people acting like this is surprising for Hogwarts? Do people think it's a lesser game or WB would operate differently?

RafterXL

I don't buy $70 games, they can shove it up their asses. And it's not about $10, it's about the principle of it. Record gaming profits, on top of that they found fifty different ways they monetize customers, and the industry is bigger than ever. There's zero reason to increase the prices and anyone ok with this is just a corporate ballwasher.

kingfey

Banned
It was pretty much already a normal thing with all the new big blockbusters from the big publishers COD, BF, FIFA, NHL, HFW you name it. on PS5 or XS every one of these publishers were releasing $70 big games. It was already normal. Why are people acting like this is surprising for Hogwarts? Do people think it's a lesser game or WB would operate differently?
We still have games, which cost $60.

Bethesda games, dying light 2, and elden ring are still $60.

The big 5 are the only one who jumped on this opportunity.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hogwarts Legacy joins the list of games that will hit my library when it's 60 percent off.

Probably makes sense for them to price at $70 considering that many gamers have no self control. I’ll just wait since my backlog has reached ridiculous levels and AAA games don’t really do anything new anyway.

Braag

If you think raising prices is going to affect that in any way, then you'll be in for a surprise.

Tripolygon

Banned
People forgot often than in the US, prices are before taxes while in the rest of the world, prices are often after taxes.
Actually, US is the only country I know where prices are shown before taxes.
That is because taxes are uneven by state. So one state might have 7% tax while another might have 6% tax and others might be 0% tax.

Chukhopops

I’ve managed to not buy a single €79 game and I think I’ll keep it this way. I know it’s pointless but at least I didn’t contribute to it becoming widespread. And it makes me respect Nintendo and MS even more.
Is there no smart delivery for the Xbox version?
Smart Delivery isn’t mandatory, there have been a couple of games with no free upgrade to next gen.

Fbh

Ah yes, the $10 next gen tax to cover the monumental cost of setting the framerate limiter to 60fps instead of 30 and the resolution to ~1440p instead of ~1080p.

Every time I go the settings on a PC game and there's like 10 resolutions to choose from I'm like "wow, this feature alone must have cost like $30 million"

Top Bottom