• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy joins the list of games that costs $70 on current gen consoles

Lupin25

It is what it is.

Yup. It is what it’s been.

I don’t even know why this is a topic. If there’s been people willing to pay for NBA, COD, BF2024, HFW, as well as all the ridiculously expensive special edition bundles all these years (which definitely set a precedent), this shouldn’t come as a surprise what publishers are willing get away with and who follows suit.

WB obviously feels they have a product worthy of the price tag so it will either live or die by it. No one is forced to buy anything.

Topher

Gold Member
If it is good I'll pay $70 for physical and then sell it on ebay when I'm done.

Arnold Schwarzenegger No Prob GIF

ckaneo

Are you under a spell (pun intended) whenever microtransactions are placed in games? Can they not be ignored? I have never been forced to buy any of that when playing base games.
Never bought a microtransaction in my life. The problem is companies get greedier and greedier and start affecting gameplay loops

Esca

Won't stop me. Before this gen even started or the mention of $70 games I knew they would go up to $70. We went like 15 years with out a price increase,... it was time

FlyyGOD

Have you been living under a rock? Big hhird party games have been $70 since the launch of these consoles, yes even on the xbox. This isn't a new trend Hogwarts is setting.
I haven't paid 70 bucks for one series x game yet.

lately I've been buying XSX keys from websites. not sure why I haven't been doing this earlier. you get a significant discount, even for newly released games.

ckaneo

lately I've been buying XSX keys from websites. not sure why I haven't been doing this earlier. you get a significant discount, even for newly released games.
Yeah, honestly im highly considering moving over 3rd party releases to xbox but i would have to convince my family to come with me. I have a series x and ps5 and the reason I mainly game on the ps5 is to gameshare with them.

Sony just feels like they are pushing some narrative they are premium like apple or something lol. This is why competition is good because I fear what Sony would have become if Microsoft exited the console race after the xbox one

Last edited:

Sybrix

PC gaming

The extra expense on a gaming PC on par with a PS5/XBOX will be $200 - $300 higher than the console. (I'm being very generous to consoles here, I'm not even going into high res, RTX and 144hz+ etc)

However, the money you save on games you get back and then some.

This game, much like all new AAA games will be cheaper on PC and will be cheaper still on places like CDKeys

Last edited:

kyoji

Back when games were breakout successes if they sold 1 million copies and games came complete on physical media that will outlast you?
Im not sure what youre trying to get at. Or how that has anything to do with pricing for a game, do schools stop teaching business? And how costs and labor production go into determining price before passing it on to the consumer? This is just the tip of the iceberg.

MHubert

This has been a long time coming and it's only fair, honestly. Complaining about the companies making profit is a lame critique - I guess Apple should basically hand out their products for free, then. Then again, I'm used to pay 70$ or more for new AAA titles and the price increase somehow doesn't affect my country.

Fuz

Banned
This has been a long time coming and it's only fair, honestly. Complaining about the companies making profit is a lame critique - I guess Apple should basically hand out their products for free, then. Then again, I'm used to pay 70$ or more for new AAA titles and the price increase somehow doesn't affect my country.
Triple H Wrestling GIF by WWE

Fbh

I’m stuck with the PS5 DE. If the Switch version is native it’ll be around £35 at launch, half as much as the PS5 version.

Which would be pretty ironic since optimizing a native Switch port is probably going to require a lot more work than just enabling higher resolution, framerate and some other basic settings on the Ps5/SX version.
The $10 next gen tax made sense when we were supposed to be getting next gen games. Right now publishers are charging Ps5/SX users $10 for the equivalent of going to the setting menu on PC and changing the preset from low-mid to mid-high.

PC gaming

The extra expense on a gaming PC on par with a PS5/XBOX will be $200 - $300 higher than the console. (I'm being very generous to consoles here, I'm not even going into high res, RTX and 144hz+ etc)

However, the money you save on games you get back and then some.

This game, much like all new AAA games will be cheaper on PC and will be cheaper still on places like CDKeys

During normal times,sure. But with current GPU prices building a PC is pretty damn expensive for the moment

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Australian price.
BeXF6Xo.jpg
Oh EU price, nice....

Best Buy has a promotion for the PS and Xbox versions.

"
Best Buy® - $10 Promotional Best Buy E-Gift Card [E-mail delivery] [Digital]
A $10 value!"

Warm my heart for you out there, with best buy

Luckily, I recently got introduced to VPN Argentina tricks for Xbox games. So, I will purchase this there if they are going to hike the prices up.
Do tell pls

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Im not sure what youre trying to get at. Or how that has anything to do with pricing for a game, do schools stop teaching business? And how costs and labor production go into determining price before passing it on to the consumer? This is just the tip of the iceberg.
Games cost $60-80 in the 90s because they were on expensive ROM carts. PS1 games were $20-50 because they used cheap CDs. Now games are still on disc, or on nothing (digital).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
£49.85 pretty much the usual price here in the UK for most games, although we do have a £69 games too
o4pUz3r.jpg

Last edited:

pratyush

10$ increment is not such a big deal considering but this dual pricing is unacceptable. Make everything same price and be done with it. I can understand price hike since the price remained stagnant for a decade but i cant justify 10$ increase just for increasing frame rate.

MrA

Banned
10$ increment is not such a big deal considering but this dual pricing is unacceptable. Make everything same price and be done with it. I can understand price hike since the price remained stagnant for a decade but i cant justify 10$ increase just for increasing frame rate.
Its not just framerate, but raytracing in photodiode
They can charge what they want, and I'll only pay up to what I want to. Any mainstream 70 dollar game will drop
Conversely I personally am more willing to pay a premium for lower budget niche games, if sefa announced a new real shining force but was like 70 bucks I'd be like ok, im in

kingfey

Banned
Interesting, possible console exclusive.

Might not get it on launch then if its $70.
It says pc. Either they want to hide that $70 pc, or its possible Epic exclusive, which is in the work. Usually games have steam place holder. Starfield has one.

Duchess

Meh. Wait a few months. Means you get to buy it cheaper and also have to contend with fewer bugs. Plus, you might also get some quality of life improvements over the launch version.

Unk Adams

Banned
Is there any point to pre-ordering games anymore? You don't even get the kickass physical bonuses they used to give out back in the day for pre-ordering games so it seems pointless, especially since you never know which new hyped game is going to be the next broken piece of junk. Plus with so many games out now there's barely any time to play everything so I don't see the rush in running out and buying a game for $70 even if it is great.

Top Bottom