• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is the most anticipated game of 2023

Ozzie666

Unless this game gets catastrophically bad reviews across the board, it’ll sell 15m copies in its first year. Easily.

Judging by the footage we’ve had, it looks competent. I’m buying it day one on Series S using a foreign market place.

Thats the problem, it won't be given a fair shake based on the merits of the game itself. I suspect there will be a lot of review tanking going on. Politics and agendas are already overshadowing this game. If journalists can't objectively review this game without bias, they need to not discuss the game at all or retire. I use the world journalist lightly. Despite the villain not having anything to do with the game, other than creating the source material. The battle of science and biology will rage across this front.

Anecdotally, several people at work played the mobile game and were pretty into it or have recently seen the live play (supposedly fairly good). There is definitely a thirst for this franchise amongst young adults with cash to spend. Hopefully it does well enough the developers can keep their jobs and make another game. I get the feeling this game is a dream come true, just like flying an X-wing or Tie Fighter.

If I was as rich as JK, I'd offer to subsidize the game and knock 50% off the launch price so it sells even more copies. I'd also make sure to send fancy gaming chairs and gifts to reviewers to buy them off like Cyberpunk. People should be allowed to like the game without having to agree with the creator, or agree, doesn't matter.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i have a bad feeling about this game, the devs did showed the gameplay but i feel like they are hiding something. Hope im wrong cause im interested.

How is that bole take when Zelda BOTW is selling around 30 million units at full price while no Harry Potter's games came close to it.

Sequel to the highest rated game of the generation is going to blow Hogwarts Legacy without any trouble.
Why on earth are you using past Harry potters games as a ref point?

Many people did this to downplay spiderman ps4 sales chances they look pretty foolish now.

Hogwarts legacy easily has a chance of being the biggest game of the year.

supernova8

Banned
i have a bad feeling about this game, the devs did showed the gameplay but i feel like they are hiding something. Hope im wrong cause im interested.
For me it looks great visually but the combat seems like it would get old fast. I guess it will all hinge on the story and also how replayable it is if you complete it and then play again under a different house.

How is that bole take when Zelda BOTW is selling around 30 million units at full price while no Harry Potter's games came close to it.

Sequel to the highest rated game of the generation is going to blow Hogwarts Legacy without any trouble.
30 million over 5 years. First year is another story.
Thats the problem, it won't be given a fair shake based on the merits of the game itself. I suspect there will be a lot of review tanking going on. Politics and agendas are already overshadowing this game. If journalists can't objectively review this game without bias, they need to not discuss the game at all or retire. I use the world journalist lightly. Despite the villain not having anything to do with the game, other than creating the source material. The battle of science and biology will rage across this front.

Anecdotally, several people at work played the mobile game and were pretty into it or have recently seen the live play (supposedly fairly good). There is definitely a thirst for this franchise amongst young adults with cash to spend. Hopefully it does well enough the developers can keep their jobs and make another game. I get the feeling this game is a dream come true, just like flying an X-wing or Tie Fighter.

If I was as rich as JK, I'd offer to subsidize the game and knock 50% off the launch price so it sells even more copies. I'd also make sure to send fancy gaming chairs and gifts to reviewers to buy them off like Cyberpunk. People should be allowed to like the game without having to agree with the creator, or agree, doesn't matter.
Metacritic is kinda meaningless outside of nerd circles, even more for a casual audience aimed title like this. I don't even care for the title, but I sure hope it is polished and breaks all the records just to make those selfimportant slacktivists feel as irrelevant as they are.
abraxas-lotr.gif

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
For me it looks great visually but the combat seems like it would get old fast. I guess it will all hinge on the story and also how replayable it is if you complete it and then play again under a different house.
Hopefully they give us lots of spells to mess around with and give us the freedom to really toy with the game. Layered mechanics can be a lot of fun, it’s why BOTW was so well received.

skeebs

Gonna be a ton of disappointed people
That’s my bet too

Two things got me excited for the ps5. Demons souls remake and the first few trailers for the Harry Potter game. I’m not hardcore on the movies. Haven’t seen anything since the last proper movie from the series but the game looked like it was going to bring the books and movies to life. I expect to be disappointed but hey.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
For what it's worth, my coworkers speak with reverence and awe whenever we talk about games and Hogwarts Legacy comes up. Down to a person, they're all excited. It's described as "the game they always wanted".

But that's just anecdotal

Metacritic is kinda meaningless outside of nerd circles, even more for a casual audience aimed title like this. I don't even care for the title, but I sure hope it is polished and breaks all the records just to make those selfimportant slacktivists feel as irrelevant as they are.
abraxas-lotr.gif
I think there is data showing higher metacritic scores correlate with higher sales.

Obviously individual games can buck the trend.

I think if Hogwarts legacy gets above 80 its effect will be minimal.

This game looks like the most generic ubisoft style game with some basic rpg elements. People are just freaking out about it because it Harry Potter. The Potter fans haven't had a game in over a decade.
What does generic ubisoft game even mean these days. Climbing towers?, Clearing out outposts?, Clearing icons off a map?

Regardless the world and gameplay systems look pretty unique in the open world space.

How many open world games features buildings as hyper detailed as hogwarts Castle? Not many maybe elden ring legacy dungeons but there more like combat areas

Ronin_7

Banned
Is anyone really interested in this Harry Potter game? I've no doubts it'll break records but the game from the latest videos doesn't seem anything special at all lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is anyone really interested in this Harry Potter game? I've no doubts it'll break records but the game from the latest videos doesn't seem anything special at all lol

You have a bunch of people here that grew up reading the books, watching the movies - dreaming of being able to explore Hogwarts. Now we have a game that lets us literally do just that.

Yes, many are VERY excited for this game!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Youre Kidding Are You Serious GIF by Snowfall

Harry Potter​

The Harry Potter series is far and away the highest-selling series of novels ever. Written by British author J.K. Rowling, the series has sold at least 500 million copies, 150 million more than the next-highest selling series. The highest-selling book in the series, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, sold 120 million copies alone.1 Even more impressive than the series’ sales dominance is the relatively few number of novels in the series—there are only seven Harry Potter books. The Goosebumps series, in comparison, includes 62 main installments.

While originally a book series, the Harry Potter franchise has grown into a worldwide brand, with movies, theme parks, video games, plays, and toys all based on Rowling’s Wizarding World. The Harry Potter movies are some of the highest-grossing of all-time, and the play set in the universe was a relative financial success on Broadway.

Crayon

I just took a look at it. seems kinda nice. I likely won't be playing it anytime soon though. Too many other games going on.

Barakov

Gold Member

abraxas-lotr.gif
Denzel Washington GIF

Hot5pur

Game looks unimpressive, but lots of people grew up on harry potter. I got through one book, quite boring.
Might try it if gameplay isn't terrible, which so far it looks to be, but reviewers will probably shit on it for being a JKR reference.
Also to the angry triggered mob, the best thing to do is not work for a woke company and not use their idiotic platforms (like retardera).

sandbood

Banned
Zelda BOTW sold 3.82 million units in its first month and 10 million units in its first year despite small userbase of Nintendo Switch and WiiU.

There will be around 125 million userbase on Zelda TOTK release date.

I dont think TOTK will repeat the success of BoTW, the latter was lightning in a bottle and the new console launch propelled it even further.

The average Zelda game does like half those numbers

Ristifer

You think it’ll break records, but you’re questioning whether anyone is interested in it. Can’t really have it both ways there.

sandbood

Banned
I dont think TOTK will repeat the success of BoTW, the latter was lightning in a bottle and the new console launch propelled it even further.

The average Zelda game does like half those numbers
The average Zelda game isn't open world with complex physics simulation.

TOTK is going to use and improve the same formula that was in BOTW and it's going to sell gangbusters.

The average Zelda game isn't open world with complex physics simulation.

TOTK is going to use and improve the same formula that was in BOTW and it's going to sell gangbusters.

I think it will sell well out the gate, i dont think it will have the same legs. Especially see how long in the tooth the switch is right now

Dynasty8

My favorite is this one:

"I want to burn this wretched world down seeing the number 1 on this list, and everyone playing this game will be my enemy, and I hope every one of you who plays the fucking Harry Potter game burn your hand into incapacitation, ban me if you want"

LMAO and of course the idiot isn't banned for saying that. Cringe.

This is mental illness...and I fucking hate using that word. But this is straight up evil and bat shit crazy. Fuck that person.

These people at ResetEra are one of the reasons why modern gaming blows. It's to a point now if you have any negative opinion on this game at all you'll look like these people.

These people at ResetEra are one of the reasons why modern gaming blows. It's to a point now if you have any negative opinion on this game at all you'll look like these people.

It became a joke to me when I saw mod posting about sexualization of women in games... when I saw them earlier that day posting about their "fantastic" playthrough of a Neptunia game in another thread. Everyone including the mods are just trying not to get cancelled by the minority of crazy people

Last edited:

ADiTAR

Banned
Hopefully they give us lots of spells to mess around with and give us the freedom to really toy with the game. Layered mechanics can be a lot of fun, it’s why BOTW was so well received.
I think we would have seen this by now if that was the case, it doesn't seem like you will be able to affect the world with spells besides what is designated. It makes sense, that would be a huge undertaking to creating a chemistry engine like that.

I'm sure the game will be successful, but if it's really good it'll have word of mouth and will be huge. For me, everything they've shown is cool, but I don't get what the game is yet since it seems like combat may be restricted to specific places. I don't think you can just Abra Cadabra a kid in school.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've been waiting for a new Harry Potter game for so long and now it's about a month away I can't say i'm excited. Something feels off about it so I'm definitely not jumping in until there are plenty of reviews and gameplay. I want to buy it but I'll wait.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
guys I sense a REE plant among us
Watching Spy Kids GIF
Talking of wet flannels, I was just literally listening to a quick bit of Yellowflash whilst making a coffee and honestly couldnt believe what I heard..

You'll get banned for saying you'll 'buy' the game? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I had it on it the background so I wasnt watching it, and maybe theres some ifs and maybes but whatever. When did gaming, people and society in general become this fucking weird?

What is actually going on? Is it a brain virus? Is it in the water? Is it autism, and if so why are so many people now autistic? Was it the food? Was it people doing drugs in the 60's? Was it because the Hadron collider screwed up the astral plane??

Somethings gone wrong, I see it every day, even in my shitty little backwater town, even in my kids school. Most people here have turned lunatic too..

I want to know. I think we need serious answers now. There is no way that we as a species can go on like this..

And i'm not just on about Hogwarts, or Reee.

Last edited:

GymWolf

People are starved for even decent quality harry potter content.

A nice and fun 7\10 gorgeous harry potter themed luna park is enough for many, nobody is expecting a 9-10 game from this studio.

GymWolf

Zelda BOTW sold 3.82 million units in its first month and 10 million units in its first year despite small userbase of Nintendo Switch and WiiU.

There will be around 125 million userbase on Zelda TOTK release date.
Ok, now let's do the math for how many user there are between:

ps4
ps4 pro
ps5
pc
switch
xbox one
xbox one X
xbox series s
xbox series x

I think they are slightly more than 125 mil.

Last edited:
People are starved for even decent quality harry potter content.

A nice and fun 7\10 gorgeous harry potter themed luna park is enough for many, nobody is expecting a 9-10 game from this studio.
Not to mention, all the casuals went ham for their other favorite 90s children's IP, Pokemon, going open world last year and clearly didn't care how phoned-in and trashy it was. Any concerns that Hogwart's Legacy is "too Ubisoft" or "only 7/10" might bother select hardcore nerds like myself, but certainly not the masses.

D'ya know, I was under the impression it was the Just Cause lot making this and was thinking 'They'll knock out a pretty good game' (Wasnt really interested in Potter), upon inspection.. it's not :messenger_neutral:

Oh my.
Holy shit, I thought the same :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

sandbood

Banned
Ok, now let's do the math for how many user there are between:

ps4
ps4 pro
ps5
pc
switch
xbox one
xbox one X
xbox series s
xbox series x

I think they are slightly more than 125 mil.
I was comparing BOTW and TOTK's situation. TOTK wont be held back by Nintendo Switch userbase on its launch date.

TOTK is going to sell gangbusters right off the bat thanks to the massive Switch userbase but won't have the same leg as BOTW.

Baki

If this game is a solid 8, it's going to sell very well. It's on all major platforms and it's the 3rd most viewed video on the PlayStation channel. Do we have a prediction thread for software on this forum?

My favorite is this one:

"I want to burn this wretched world down seeing the number 1 on this list, and everyone playing this game will be my enemy, and I hope every one of you who plays the fucking Harry Potter game burn your hand into incapacitation, ban me if you want"

LMAO and of course the idiot isn't banned for saying that. Cringe.

Which thread is this from?

Top Bottom