• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is Europe’s fastest-selling game (that isn’t FIFA) for a generation | European Monthly Charts (PS5 5x last year)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Do we know just how much JK gets from games, movies and other merchandise? Especially with ones she isnt directly involved in? 10%? 20%?

The game likely made a billion in the first month. That means shes probably $100-200 million richer which is hilarious considering she had nothing to do with the game.

P.S The first fantastic beasts movie which she wrote the screenplay for had a side plot about this black sickness that manifests itself in kids who are forced not to be witches/wizards i.e., basically reject their magic or be themselves. I always saw that as an allegory to how some gay kids were forced to hide their sexuality by their parents, go through conversion therapy etc. The woman has always had a soft spot for the LGBT community.

crushed noo GIF

Is that the Gaf users mad about Last of Us sales?

Last edited:
Do we know just how much JK gets from games, movies and other merchandise? Especially with ones she isnt directly involved in? 10%? 20%?

The game likely made a billion in the first month. That means shes probably $100-200 million richer which is hilarious considering she had nothing to do with the game.

P.S The first fantastic beasts movie which she wrote the screenplay for had a side plot about this black sickness that manifests itself in kids who are forced not to be witches/wizards i.e., basically reject their magic or be themselves. I always saw that as an allegory to how some gay kids were forced to hide their sexuality by their parents, go through conversion therapy etc. The woman has always had a soft spot for the LGBT community.
I keep seeing 10% being thrown about but not sure if it's accurate.

She might not have anything to do with it but of course she's going to make money off the world she created.

She's going to be even richer when the PS4 and Switch versions come out. There ain't no stopping her. Bitch is rich as fuck and is only going to get richer. Hogwarts is still to come out on PS4, XB1, and Switch. There is a new HP book (not novel) coming out this year which will sell a fuck load but she might give the money to charity like the other companion books she's wrote. And if the rumors of a new HP movie based on Cursed Child and the main series reboot are true then well that's a lot more money coming in for her!

Ree/Twitter can rage all they want but they can't do shit against her.

EN250

How many PS5 were sold in February last year? 5X sounds like a lot but idk the base number, shortages were these severe?

As for HL, never thought it'd get this huge sales beast and that's without previus gen versions, idk how much those ports would add, but numbers are going up regardless, I guess all that boycott nonsense was just pure showing for social media clout and the people pushing it are secretly playing the game like the majority, all that noise never was a threat to the game's sales :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Raven117

Gold Member
I mean the older Harry Potter games didnt come close to this in success, not even equivelant success 'pound for pound'. There must be a lot of buyers that are partly buying this as a push back against the woke agenda.
Doubt it. I'm sure most people just hear "A good, open world, Harry Potter game" (A game that the IP has been screaming for for almost 20 years)....The people came running.

Elios83

Last year Sony shipped 2m in the January-March period.
So far yoy we're seeing 3x the sales in the UK, 5x the sales in Europe, over 3x the sales in Japan.
Seems like they're in a really good position to hit their numbers, not that there was any particular doubt, when you increase a forecast with less than 2 months left it's not even a forecast but a statement of intents based on current logistics.

Software wise I was expecting this kind of success for HL, the brand is super strong and they made a fantastic game.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

i know many console owners who only buy the latest FIFA. And then they play FUT until the new one comes out. Its not surprising.

PS5 without supply constraints as best selling console isn't surprising too. And at a higher RRP even, its 549/599. Bet on it that next-gen consoles will cost at least 599. 599 was probably more money in 2006, but its possible as long as the product is good.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
It was a dumb boycott anyway. Rowling didn’t make the game and the game is actually supportive of modern gender politics, no genders specified and you can go with a female voice on your wizard if you want and they have a trans person voice acting the bar owner in Hogsmead etc.

That's the thing that irritates me the most about the "boycott". It's just dumb.

The dooming about the price increase looks hilarious right now, especially when sony reaped the benefits of increased holiday supply while some were discounting their hardware

Makes you realize all those “big PR losses” sony takes on the internet don’t amount to shit.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
i know many console owners who only buy the latest FIFA. And then they play FUT until the new one comes out. Its not surprising.

PS5 without supply constraints as best selling console isn't surprising too. And at a higher RRP even, its 549/599. Bet on it that next-gen consoles will cost at least 599. 599 was probably more money in 2006, but its possible as long as the product is good.
I paid 450€ for my Xbox 360 in 2006, back in the day 450€ would equal 624.1€ today.

PS5 can be bought for 449.99€.

SkylineRKR

I paid 450€ for my Xbox 360 in 2006, back in the day 450€ would equal 624.1€ today.

PS5 can be bought for 449.99€.

I presume its the digital only SKU. Which was originally 399,-. Its not the most desired version. The 549,- disc version sells best.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone loving the game that had zero interest in Harry Potter?
I bought the game to show support but after about 10 hours of play over various days, i'm really struggling to get into the game, and open world games are my thing.

Although i can def tell from playing why fans would adore this game, the lore and world building is very impressive.
yep. I watched all the movies even. I now love harry potter lol

EN250

Makes you realize all those “big PR losses” sony takes on the internet don’t amount to shit.

Which was the last one? the "believe in generations" or is something else? That kind of "heated" internet debate is not really capable to reach the mainstream, people don't care as long as they have games to play 🤷‍♂️

Also, wow, I really thought Avalanche Group, the guys who make the Just Cause games were the ones who developed HL, now I know there is another Avalanche studio :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Which was the last one? the "believe in generations" or is something else? That kind of "heated" internet debate is not really capable to reach the mainstream, people don't care as long as they have games to play 🤷‍♂️

Also, wow, I really thought Avalanche Group, the guys who make the Just Cause games were the ones who developed HL, now I know there is another Avalanche studio :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The price increase

TLOU2 outselling God of War Ragnarok 2 and half years after its release :messenger_clapping:

The game was also inside this chart multiple times since release, even without the TV show. Wonder if the game could be at around 13M by now? Maybe a bit more?

With a PS5 sku, PC release and the TV show covering this one game happening for season 2 and 3, i can't see this not hitting 20M one day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom