• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy final previews have dropped

I loved those books too!!! Shame they actually butchered the movie.
We can still hope!

The Dark Tower series is Stephen King’s most extensive epic, which also makes it his most difficult story to adapt. Several attempts have been made over the years, including a forgettable 2017 movie and a scrapped Amazon Studios pilot. It was recently announced that Mike Flanagan will be the next creative to take a stab at The Dark Tower, and everyone has high hopes. This isn’t Flanagan’s first rodeo with the king of horror, having written and directed both Gerald’s Game and Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining. The series spans seven books and Flanagan has confirmed that he intends to work on at least five seasons of TV before closing it all with two feature films.

In an interview with Deadline, Flanagan explained how he landed the rights to the adaptation, saying he worked on very extensive outlines for King to go over. He also described the project as his “Holy Grail,” and revealed that The Dark Tower is actually separate from his Amazon deal—meaning he’s free to shop the series around to different studios and networks.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
When I hear "greatest stories ever told" I think of "great hero journey's." I'm not thinking of anything by Tolstoy or Hemmingway as those are great pieces of literature. I don't care for HP in general, but its insane to think that HP doesn't qualify because it is a young adults novel and talk about "Butter Booze." Like, as cribbed and stolen as the story from Star Wars is, Luke's journey I absolutely consider one of the best stories in our collective consciousness. The same can even be true in reverse: INFINITE JEST is a good piece of literature. . .I think its a terrible story though.

. . .TLDR: most people know the sentiment IGN was going for and yes, to a LARGE number of people worldwide and for generations to come, HP will be one of the great stories in folks lives (particularly those who experienced it in real time - publishing wise).

Ar¢tos

The girlfriend & I just did a whole marathon of the movies she had never seen them before which blew my mind. Just seeing the world and the potential it'll be fun to play regardless of the drama behind one persons name. I'm not going to watch these reviewers because 90% of the are annoying.
I watched the last 2 movies last year, and the previous ones a few years apart each, they play them on TV at Xmas time here. I never felt much interest in the concept of a bunch of kids doing magic by waving wands and, obviously, saving the world... Some people just feel neutral to Harry Potter, it's not bad but it's not great either. I'm more of a horror movie fan.
But i'll play any game as long as it is good, regardless of feeling a connection or not to the IP.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
All you people slegging HP obviously weren't at any midnight openings at fucking bookstores of all places that had queues that would put a Taylor Swift concert to shame, i got dragged to them by the ex and they where a sight to behold tbh and we've never seen anything like it before or after, the story may not of resonated with any of you degenerates ;-) but you can bet for kids of all ages and adults it did including this grumpy miserable aul cunt, looking forward to buying this for my kids who grew up on HP and absolutely love it

Umbasaborne

Banned
All you people slegging HP obviously weren't at any midnight openings at fucking bookstores of all places that had queues that would put a Taylor Swift concert to shame, i got dragged to them by the ex and they where a sight to behold tbh and we've never seen anything like it before or after, the story may not of resonated with any of you degenerates ;-) but you can bet for kids of all ages and adults it did including this grumpy miserable aul cunt, looking forward to buying this for my kids who grew up on HP and absolutely love it
They’re just salty that it will sell better than their favorite console exclusives like god of war ragnarok and starfield.

Last edited:
Nobody is slagging it off as far as I can see just pointing out that ‘greatest story ever told’ is pretty lol.

delete12345

Watching the previews in the OP, it seems the game is loosely following a story plot. It doesn't seem like the game allows the players to play in a sandbox environment.

Arioco

there you go.

MkIceandFire gameplay looks so good but I'm not sure if it's performance or resolution mode. It says 4k 60 fps from PS5. If it's 60fps then it has to be performance and it looks so damn good even on YT.

He's playing in Performance mode, but from what I can see the game is far from locking 60 fps, in fact it seems to stutter all the time, constantly, I find it super annoying. Not a good thing, TBH. But again, as he said that's not even the final build so it can improve a bit with the one day patch. And maybe a VRR compatible display can iron out these performance issues if frame drops are not too heavy.

But anyways it's a bit disappointing, I mean, it's a cross-gen game that will target 30 fps on last-gen machines after all, PS5 and Series X shouldn't have any trouble running it at perfect 60 fps, right?

My God, you people need to read some books, in what universe is Stephen King schlock ever even in the running for the best story every told. Try Dostoevsky, or something.
vqjJAje.jpg

samoilaaa

My God, you people need to read some books, in what universe is Stephen King schlock ever even in the running for the best story every told. Try Dostoevsky, or something.
a way of kings by brandon sanderson is great
kingkiller chronicles is great also but the 3rd book hasnt been released yet

Lasha

When I hear "greatest stories ever told" I think of "great hero journey's." I'm not thinking of anything by Tolstoy or Hemmingway as those are great pieces of literature. I don't care for HP in general, but its insane to think that HP doesn't qualify because it is a young adults novel and talk about "Butter Booze." Like, as cribbed and stolen as the story from Star Wars is, Luke's journey I absolutely consider one of the best stories in our collective consciousness. The same can even be true in reverse: INFINITE JEST is a good piece of literature. . .I think its a terrible story though.

. . .TLDR: most people know the sentiment IGN was going for and yes, to a LARGE number of people worldwide and for generations to come, HP will be one of the great stories in folks lives (particularly those who experienced it in real time - publishing wise).

Harry Potter stands out for it's excellent writing and strong prose. The initial craze had a temporal aspect as kids of a certain age literally grew up with Harry Potter. Each book matures in complexity and tone naturally with the reader. It's brilliant. It's still just a simple children's story.

The story's appeal is in the novel way it treated witches and wizards. Rowling only developed the world enough to move the story along. There is no depth in the setting beyond the events of the plot. That's why I would never consider it the best story ever told or even top ten. I still think it's a wonderful series worthy of its audience.

zkorejo

He's playing in Performance mode, but from what I can see the game is far from locking 60 fps, in fact it seems to stutter all the time, constantly, I find it super annoying. Not a good thing, TBH. But again, as he said that's not even the final build so it can improve a bit with the one day patch. And maybe a VRR compatible display can iron out these performance issues if frame drops are not too heavy.

But anyways it's a bit disappointing, I mean, it's a cross-gen game that will target 30 fps on last-gen machines after all, PS5 and Series X shouldn't have any trouble running it at perfect 60 fps, right?
It looked fine to me but I can't tell a difference after 40 fps.. it all seems smooth to me. Witcher 3 next gen update with RTGI being an exception.

So if PS5 (the version they have shown most of not all of footage from) isn't smooth as butter. I'm just not very confident about PC performance. I will wait for comparisons before I decide which platform to go for.

Not to mention the system requirements seem a bit too high for highest settings.

Last edited:

Hibs

there you go.

MkIceandFire gameplay looks so good but I'm not sure if it's performance or resolution mode. It says 4k 60 fps from PS5. If it's 60fps then it has to be performance and it looks so damn good even on YT.

The pop in at 14:39 is crazy lol.

zkorejo

The pop in at 14:39 is crazy lol.
Pop ins are kind of bad from other videos too. I noticed sometimes in some areas there's issue with pop in, in some other areas its all fine.

Here's hoping this atleast will be much less noticeable in the final build/day 1 patch.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I won't shit on Crime & Punishment, but many historically important/impactful novels like The Great Gatsby are dull as dishwater despite being incredibly well-written. The Catcher in the Rye, boy mopes about a bit and ruminates on life. Whoop-de-fuck. A lot of these books aren't regarded as timeless stories, just important books.

Stephen King is the greatest storyteller alive, he just tells stories about killer alien spiders disguised as clowns.

Freeza93

Banned
I won't shit on Crime & Punishment, but many historically important/impactful novels like The Great Gatsby are dull as dishwater despite being incredibly well-written. The Catcher in the Rye, boy mopes about a bit and ruminates on life. Whoop-de-fuck. A lot of these books aren't regarded as timeless stories, just important books.

Stephen King is the greatest storyteller alive, he just tells stories about killer alien spiders disguised as clowns.
I still not know if King is a brilliant writer or he just writes a ton and sometimes hits the nerve. Hes insane at what speed he wrote books. Loved 1922

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I still not know if King is a brilliant writer or he just writes a ton and sometimes hits the nerve. Hes insane at what speed he wrote books. Loved 1922

Master storytelling who sometimes fires duds. Even he'll tell you that Insomnia sucked.

And I still read the damn thing because of the Tower links.

He's writing a set of myths and folktales for a new country and culture - the USA. In 1,000 years his name will be forgotten but kids will still be scared of Pennywise. He is a brilliant storyteller, perhaps the best pure weaver of stories in modern history, but they aren't the greatest in the way that Hansel and Gretel isn't one of the greatest - he just knows to, how you put it exactly, hit a nerve.

If only he planned his stories from the start as he did with The Dead Zone, which is, surely not coincidentally one of his few works with a decent ending.

Also he should never have joined Twitter. Fucking hell.

I don't get the franchise but happy for those that get a decent game in it. Also I find it fucking hilarious that all discussion has been banned on Restarea. Free speech is alive over there!

Valentino

Pop ins are kind of bad from other videos too. I noticed sometimes in some areas there's issue with pop in, in some other areas its all fine.

Here's hoping this atleast will be much less noticeable in the final build/day 1 patch.
One of the guys from preview said it wasn’t the final build he was playing on and then of course there’s going to be a day 1 patch. I haven’t got a PS5 yet so I haven’t experienced with my eyes what it has to offer. But are pop ins still a thing with this generation when it comes to a final product? I’d be playing on fidelity mode.

Rush2112

Banned
Fextralife's preview criticizes the facial animation and poor voice acting which is apparent in all the trailers. Ironically, story and quests might not be the strong point of this game. Since the game is supposed you be an rpg, it is disappointing. I think witcher 3 had better facial animations than this game and that came out 8 years ago. The doll face on all the npcs looks pretty cheap.

Last edited:

Boneless

No need to be elitist. I have read both Dark Tower and several Dostoevsky books and can appreciate both for what they are. In any case, people are likely referring to best fantasy story.

Best fantasy book? The name of the wind.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Fextralife's preview criticizes the facial animation and poor voice acting which is apparent in all the trailers. Ironically, story and quests might not be the strong point of this game.

Hm...maybe they were so preocupated in giving the player customization flexibility that forgots the acts?
As for quests, we have to wait and see. Worst case scenario will be fetch quests.

No need to be elitist. I have read both Dark Tower and several Dostoevsky books and can appreciate both for what they are. In any case, people are likely referring to best fantasy story.

Best fantasy book? The name of the wind.
Nahhh…. Lord of the Rings is the king.

Top Bottom