• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts: Legacy confirmed as single player RPG (No co-op/multiplayer)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://wbgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053572774-Hogwarts-Legacy-FAQ

Q: Is Hogwarts Legacy an original story?
A: Hogwarts Legacy is an open-world, single-player, action role-playing videogame (RPG) set in the 1800s wizarding world. The story has players experiencing life as a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry like never before, as they live the unwritten and embark on a dangerous journey to uncover a hidden truth of the wizarding world.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wonder if people will stick to there guns and not buy this or is it just a really vocal minority up in arms.

Not a Harry Potter fan myself so gonna pass either way.

Wonder if people will stick to there guns and not buy this or is it just a really vocal minority up in arms.
Judging from the comments on the YT videos for this game, it is absolutely a vocal minority that is up in arms. Everyone else seems to be absolutely ecstatic about this game.

Senua

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Last edited:

Humdinger

Awesome. Glad to hear it.

Very surprised by this game. Never expected to be interested in a Harry Potter game, but this one looks very good, at least so far.

It really is a missed opportunity for a multiplayer game since it's an inviting setting, but nonetheless, I love it. I'm actually glad I will have one less game telling me how I should be playing it.

Larxia

I'm quite disappointed....
I mean I wanted a real good single player campaign, but I would have also really loved an online mode.
I always dreamed about a harry potter mmo / mini mmo game, I really love this world, it's so comfy, I would have liked to be able to just free roam around it and chat with other people, would have been a good change from garry's mod hogwarts role playing servers...
Having a multiplayer would have been a good way to stay in the game on the long term if it's a world you really want to stay in.

SilentUser

I wouldn't have minded a destiny style team co op thing, but this is fine, I like more condensed games like this
Me too, I would like to see this game having coop. Ok, I think most games should have coop lol I'm a massive fan of being able to play with my friends.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Are they sure...? Was the trailer not what the game will look like because I'm pretty sure after watching it again, there are scenes where you have multiple people with you and they look like generic customizable characters, including your own character.

Are they sure...? Was the trailer not what the game will look like because I'm pretty sure after watching it again, there are scenes where you have multiple people with you and they look like generic customizable characters, including your own character.

NPCs will be made with the assets from the character creator

What's this about?

J.K. Rowlings new book contains the following line:

“He had his failures you know. Penny Hiskett, she got away from him and gave the police a description in ’71, but that didn’t help them much. She said he was dark and stocky, because he was wearing a wig at the time and all padded out in a woman’s coat.”

This has caused people to burn books and demand she be cancelled.

J.K. Rowlings new book contains the following line:

“He had his failures you know. Penny Hiskett, she got away from him and gave the police a description in ’71, but that didn’t help them much. She said he was dark and stocky, because he was wearing a wig at the time and all padded out in a woman’s coat.”

This has caused people to burn books and demand she be cancelled.

LOL Oh right, that. Vaguely aware there was some controversy going on with rowling when I saw videos with titles like "JK Rowling is killing trannies" or some ridiculous shit like that.

So it's a randomly generated world or what? You will have customizable/random AI companions, aka a party in an action rpg game? No unique main characters? I'm very confused now.

Think Skyrim or any other RPG with a character creator.

There can still be handcrafted story characters, but they'll still be made using the same assets as your character creator most likely.

Last edited:
Given the movies centered around the trio it feels like a missed opportunity for PvE multiplayer. The fans of the universe would likely want to experience it together. I know my son and his xbox buddies will play it but it won't be something like minecraft without a shared world experience.

It is looking like a very well built solo game though.

Saber

Gold Member
Sounds great, thanks.

Now I just hope this game doesn't turn a chore to play in the gameplay departament. Other than that, I have good hopes for this game.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
tbh this shouldve been a single player starter experience, diagon alley quests getting geared up for school, further quests getting to the platform and onto the train itself and then once you hit the castle it shouldve opened up into an MMO type game with a fully explorable castle & grounds as the central hub, levels 1-10 (Year 1) involve running around the castle and its grounds leveling up, Levels 10-20 (Year 2) etc and has you questing out in the wider world e.g. dark forest, HogsMeade but always coming back to the castle to attend classes to learn your new skills/spells etc.

PVP could be taken care off via Dueling, Quidditch for team PVP between houses. Each week points collected from various things go towards your house with the winner chosen and that house gaining buffs etc for that week.

Instant Dungeons aplenty..

list goes on and it wouldve been absolutely massive, not that this single player game wont be anything but, but i truly beleive they missed the boat in going down the single player route as people wouldve easily paid a sub fee to live in this world and run around in it, christ the money you could make alone with selling bloody pets in a cash shop

GodofWhimsy

I would like to know how being situated into a school house works. I'm hoping for a quiz (ala The Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon series), along with the option to choose your preferred house if you want. Just incase the game decides you belong in *shudders* Hufflepuff.

Holammer

Good, forced multiplayer breaks narrative flow. There's a reason why Sony's first party are well regarded, they focus on the singlerplayer experience.

Just the way I like it. Laser focused on the single-playet experience.

They could make a multiplayer DLC though if they want, I'll get it too.

Top Bottom