• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman's Sapienza really is a masterclass in level design

Fools idol

Banned
I recently got back into Hitman world of assasination trilogy with the intention of going for the plat trophy. Playing through Sapienza for almost 8 hours straight today I am just in awe at how detailed this level is. It's gorgeous idyllic setting during a pandemic lockdown where travel has been almost impossible for most people myself included, I am now dying for a beach holiday in Italy. Amalfi coast, Italy -- One of my personal favourite places to vacation every couple of years, and in my opinion the inspiration for Hitman reboot's best mission..

YZg5DFasJTb2v8QHhRSrQX.jpg

The layers to this level are truly incredible. For those who haven't yet played this game, there are so many ways to complete the double assassination and destruction of the secret bioweapon lab under Caruso’s seaside mansion which are all interconnected in clever ways that I can imagine it caused the meltdown of many a QA tester. I have completed probably 25+ runs going for the 100% on this one and I am still finding new ways to complete stuff that stray from the path of the story methods / challenges. The actual layout of the level gives you probably well over 100+ ways to off your targest and feel like a badass as you exit.

There is something 'umami' , that I couldn't quite put my finger on what made these games so special that after this play session I finally realise this - the immersion and sense of 'fly on the wall' present in maps like this. As you unlock starting points with each playthrough, theres an apartment block where a stoner guy lives. It;s possibly the most believable stoner pad I have ever seen. One of my favourite touches is there is a blunt in there you can steal which can then be used to mess with one of the targets, and doing this mission dressed as the stoner guy once you bump him off... silly shit like this is just jampacked in these levels. Not really sure what the point of this thread is other than me gushing about how much I love this shit.

Onward to the Hitman 2 levels.

Hitman 1 was full of amazing levels... I feel the games sort of declined in terms of really fun sandbox levels. Hitman 2 still had some pretty good ones (I loved Miami), but the only one in Hitman 3 I really liked was the Dartmoor level, though Dubai and Mendoza were decent.

Honestly I've spent more time on individual levels like Sapienza or Paris than many other actual games. You are completely right in that these levels have nearly endless replayability because there are just so many options and so much density to the level design.

Fools idol

Banned
Hitman 1 was full of amazing levels... I feel the games sort of declined in terms of really fun sandbox levels. Hitman 2 still had some pretty good ones (I loved Miami), but the only one in Hitman 3 I really liked was the Dartmoor level, though Dubai and Mendoza were decent.

Honestly I've spent more time on individual levels like Sapienza or Paris than many other actual games. You are completely right in that these levels have nearly endless replayability because there are just so many options and so much density to the level design.

I think Mendoza is very close honestly. The freedom is definitely there, and the intricate pathways to each assassination are well done. My personal favourite is the meal poisoning during the speech.

Notabueno

Banned
Hitman is one of the best "open-world" game in terms of level design.

Each levels is beautiful in terms of construction, landscape, topology and immersion, when you arrive in a new destination they feel huge and you have several of them in each game, it's a shame that they were always under utilized in terms of functions and interactions. Overwatch is another game that did it masterfully.

Fuck other open-world games with boring, redundant, empty and ugly flat land of mush, except BoTW that revolutionized it to some extent.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Call me crazy but I played all of the Hitman games but never really enjoyed them. Only ones I didnt finish are the original and Contracts.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
quick q: should i buy hitman 2 dlc on sale now so when hitman 3 comes to steam i get all that dlc? or will there be a cheaper package when 3 releases?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Thing I didn't know about Sapienza map even after playing Hitman 1 for 600 hours: In the underground lab, the roof of the break room "pod" where the virus control case thing is that you insert the key into to destroy the virus remotely can be accessed by climbing up some boxes on the opposite side of where the stairs are.

Not knowing that made one thing I tried so fucking annoying because I was stuck with guards searching and I couldn't get up the stairs in time or hide effectively and I had to keep reloading over and over to get the perfect random pattern of the guard facing away and the scientist up top being in a position where I could run up and knock him out. If I'd known about that damn climbable I could've just jumped straight up there, fuck sake.

Hope that helps someone else avoid tearing out their hair.

Random: Did they ever fix the bug where in pro difficulty where the guard investigates the floor above the one the CCTV camera you shoot is on rather than the one where the camera actually is in the stairwell next to Silvio's lab (where the Plague Doctor outfit is)? The one that leads to the underground lab, with the keycard door at the bottom.

I remember than driving me nuts as well since I was trying to kill both targets SASO without no knockouts and had used my one save but refused to restart the level even though this bug kept fucking me so bad due to having to shoot the CCTV to move the guard out of the way. He just wasn't going where he was supposed to.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
quick q: should i buy hitman 2 dlc on sale now so when hitman 3 comes to steam i get all that dlc? or will there be a cheaper package when 3 releases?
knowing iOi there will be a some kind of 'buy it all at once' for a full high price on launch with the year 2 content coming for H3.

Top Bottom