• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 will reduce trilogy file size to 100GB, update graphics on previous games

Bullet Club

Hitman 3 will reduce trilogy file size to 100GB, update graphics on previous games​

It looks like Hitman 3 is going to optimise memory usage for the stealth game trilogy, and retroactively improve the previous two instalments. A developer from IO Interactive has commented that the upcoming game will turn IO’s work on Agent 47 into a neat little package.

In a thread on ResetEra, a verified member of the IO Interactive team discussed some technical details on the action-adventure game. Perhaps the most pertinent piece of information is that Hitman 3 will reduce the combined file size of the trilogy to 100GB, or thereabouts. “We have managed to get the size of the game down significantly. All three games with all content will take up around 100GB,” the developer writes, explaining further: “Biggest wins are because of data management and file structures and how we deliver the game so we could remove duplicate data. We also use newer and better compression for textures – that helps too.”

This isn’t the only upgrade coming in 47’s latest escapades, Hitman and Hitman 2 will get fresh licks of paint, as well. “We upgraded the engine with screenspace reflections,” the developer says. “Best thing? It’s backwards compatible with the previous two games in the trilogy and lots of surfaces has been upgraded.”

While the latter is certainly a plus, the consolidation of space is a relief. The episodic structure of IO’s Hitman games means having both readily playable takes up a fair chunk of hard drive at around 110GB, give-or-take for DLC and what have you. The three together at less than that, all looking better and running as smooth as ever, is very appealing indeed.

This thread spun out of Game Informer’s reveal of five minutes of gameplay from Hitman 3, which you can watch here:

IO Interactive has already revealed its next project, a James Bond game mysteriously known as Project 007. We’re just a little over two weeks away from the Hitman 3 release date.

Source: PCGamesN

Aion002

Awesome! Other studios should learn with them....

Remedy for example.... That Control crap it's ridiculous.

Sentenza

Quite the result, given that the second (which included the first) was already more than 100 GB.

Also, bought both the previous ones, but this one is an EGS exclusive so... See ya in a year or so.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Awesome! Other studios should learn with them....

Remedy for example.... That Control crap it's ridiculous.
Is it? Because there was patch which reduced game size to around 40GBs? If anything Hitman 2 complete edition is by far the larges game I have.

Aion002

Is it? Because there was patch which reduced game size to around 40GBs? If anything Hitman 2 complete edition is by far the larges game I have.
I mean in upgrading the game, rather than selling the same again thing with some upgrades.

If you buy Control right now you don't get the next gen update, unless you buy the complete edition. So if you bought Control on launch with the season pass, you have to buy the same game again to play at a higher resolution.

That's fine and all... But when CD PR comes and say that every version of TW3 (minus switch) will get a free next gen upgrade or now that IO is upgrading Hitman 1 and 2 for free... Well... It makes the Control situation kinda silly.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I mean in upgrading the game, rather than selling the same again more with some upgrades.

If you buy Control right now you don't get the next gen update, unless you buy the complete edition. So if you bought Control on lauch with the season pass, you have to buy the same game again to play at a higher resolution.

That's fine and all... But when CD PR comes and say that every version of TW3 (minus switch) will get a free next gen upgrade or now that IO is upgrading Hitman 1 and 2 for free... Well... It makes the Control situation kinda silly.

I don't think they're upgrading Hitman 1 and 2 for free. It sounds like they're updating the game engine and those missions will be accessible within Hitman 3 if you already own them. You'd launch Hitman 3 and be able to access the trilogy content.

cireza

Banned
That's awesome.

I was looking at the available options for pre-order yesterday on Xbox, but could not identify which content actually offered the previous maps. I already own both Hitman 1 and 2 on Xbox.

Aion002

I don't think they're upgrading Hitman 1 and 2 for free. It sounds like they're updating the game engine and those missions will be accessible within Hitman 3 if you already own them. You'd launch Hitman 3 and be able to access the trilogy content.
Oh... That would be a shame... Still, better than nothing I guess.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Nice.

We are already seeing positives for using SSDs in consoles.

Every PS5 games I have that has a PS4 version, the PS5 version is smaller. Sometimes 20GB+. Cant wait to compare the versions.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean in upgrading the game, rather than selling the same again thing with some upgrades.

If you buy Control right now you don't get the next gen update, unless you buy the complete edition. So if you bought Control on launch with the season pass, you have to buy the same game again to play at a higher resolution.

Oh sorry, that I agree. I made this thread back then:

GHG

Gold Member
I have both of them on disc and one of them was a PS plus game I think. Would I still need to switch discs if I loaded them via Hitman 3? How would it work?

No idea but I know it's straight forward if you own the digital versions of the previous games.

If you don't they sell a DLC pack that adds in the levels from the previous games l, at least that's what they did with hitman 2.

IO Interactive does such a great job with the Hitman franchise. I'm really glad they were able to go independent, and I will definitely continue to support their games.

Futurematic

Just auto-rotate the existing elusive targets, still one and done but in a few months you can try again. That takes the pressure off the new elusive target team and plenty of the player base missed or failed many of them.

That file size decrease is a godsend though, I was already planning my PS5 storage for 200GB of Hitman haha

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I have both of them on disc and one of them was a PS plus game I think. Would I still need to switch discs if I loaded them via Hitman 3? How would it work?
If I remember right with Hitman 2 you needed to install at least the prologue of Hitman 1 and pick a certain option from the main menu to unlock legacy missions in Hitman 2. Maybe it'll be a similar here.

I wish it was easier, like the game checking your saves or the data saved in IOI's cloud.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
180 dollars for the amount of gameplay (Between 1, 2 and 3) I got from Hitman 2:Silent Assassin back in 2002 for 50 bucks and didn't force me into always online to get features which use to be part of the game that are now a form of DRM.

Game development got really weird over the years hasn't it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom