• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 to become Hitman: world of assassination

Yeah Freelancer is really cool. Collecting stuff is fun, but I guess there isn't a spot in the hideout for some of the wacky melee weapons like the fish lol

Gonna have to read up on how progression works exactly and what you lose if you fail.

Fuck this game, publisher and devs. HDR is still broken since launch. In fact even SDR is broken.
This!! Wtf is wrong with these devs? They have 3 games in one collection, the first two have great HDR then the third and most recent has this broken HDR that actively makes it look the worst of the three and they don't give a shit to fix it despite knowing about the issue since the beginning.

Io can go fuck themselves.

calistan

This!! Wtf is wrong with these devs? They have 3 games in one collection, the first two have great HDR then the third and most recent has this broken HDR that actively makes it look the worst of the three and they don't give a shit to fix it despite knowing about the issue since the beginning.

What's wrong with the HDR? I've played all three games, a lot, and I've never had any complaints about the way it looks.

Dries

Does anyone else feel like DLSS is broken with the new update? I get the same performance when in Ultra Perf. and Quality. That shouldn't happen at all.

coniglio

Banned
I need to ask: the hell is happened to the raytracing patch for console? They promised it a year ago then stop to talk about it. The hell is that shit. Just say isn't it possible tech wise and I will stop to give any hope about it. It's a torture for me.

Last edited:

calistan

It's washed out. I've been playing it and was wondering why it looked so dull in some areas.
Fair enough, maybe I haven’t noticed it because I played the previous ones on non-HDR Xbox One. I remember being quite impressed the first time I saw the lobby of the Dubai level in HDR on Series X though.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
. . .mode is definitely fun, but you kind of want to beat the game first if you (like myself) never have. Some of these maps seem like a shame to play in this form versus the original (where you can save when you need to, take risks - like BIG risks - and still appreciate the scenery). The no-save-lose-everything nature of FL is way more tense than any mission in the base game and has me less focused on the amazing map design and more on saving my skin.

Also like how shit that doesn't fly in the base game is a-ok here. I shot someone in the middle of the street and - because there's no score tied to normal assassination - was still good to kick rocks and take out the other target.

Speaking of targets, I love how its literally ANYBODY. Not sure how the simulations work in this game or if the placement is random but that is a lot of randomness if it is. . .random. o_0.

Is THAT what is going on? I mean I remember having to do some wacky stuff with Hitman 2 on PC to get the HDR to look good, but it did look good. Looks slightly off here. Also the RT in this game absolutely MURDERS my setup. . .and gets turned on automatically when settings get reset for some reason (autodetection thinking I want to play at 12FPS at 4K I guess).

calistan

Speaking of targets, I love how its literally ANYBODY. Not sure how the simulations work in this game or if the placement is random but that is a lot of randomness if it is. . .random. o_0.
The final stage of each group of missions seems less random. A bunch of people who look and act really similar, and you have to find the right one.

It’s a bit odd having some random tourist as a syndicate member though. I thought they’d behave differently, act suspicious and all that, but it really can be any old person.

Quitting the game when things go wrong has been my saviour a few times. I don’t want to lose half my money and all my gear if I mess it up.

. . .mode is definitely fun, but you kind of want to beat the game first if you (like myself) never have. Some of these maps seem like a shame to play in this form versus the original (where you can save when you need to, take risks - like BIG risks - and still appreciate the scenery). The no-save-lose-everything nature of FL is way more tense than any mission in the base game and has me less focused on the amazing map design and more on saving my skin.

Also like how shit that doesn't fly in the base game is a-ok here. I shot someone in the middle of the street and - because there's no score tied to normal assassination - was still good to kick rocks and take out the other target.

Yeah there are a few missions I haven't dont yet singleplayer (the new island plus the two Hitman 2 expansion levels) so I only had like 1 or 2 books I could even pick from where I played all the levels. I guess I should play those first before getting too deep into Freelancer...

Also agreed about the stuff you can get away with. You are conditioned in normal levels to not kill everyone and make a mess, but in this you may as well just murder everyone to get them out of your way because there is no penalty for doing so. Hell my very fist mission one of the bonus objectives was kill 3 guards with an SMG. I literally knocked three of them out, carried them to a side room, then killed them all at the very end with my noisy SMG and ran to the exit.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah, I'm mostly going to go back and play the maps in the campaign just to get a better lay of the maps. I almost failed Colombia because I had no idea about the map whatsoever. Miami - my first map - was super easy because I've played that map for hours. I feel like that meta knowledge is kind of critical with how brutal some of these Secondary Objectives are - like how can you do the "Unlock No Doors" objective efficiently if you have no idea about the map (I failed this on Miami, because I couldn't figure out how to get to the Race Marshal room without unlocking a door)?

The final stage of each group of missions seems less random. A bunch of people who look and act really similar, and you have to find the right one.

It’s a bit odd having some random tourist as a syndicate member though. I thought they’d behave differently, act suspicious and all that, but it really can be any old person.

Quitting the game when things go wrong has been my saviour a few times. I don’t want to lose half my money and all my gear if I mess it up.

I asked about this in DISCORD. Does quitting the game just reset back to the beginning of the mission? Exiting the game specifically mentions losing the mission, and didn't want to risk hard quitting so just finished the map I was on.

. . .also, yeah, one of my syndicate members was working the fields, but then I remembered the briefing they gave: everyone is meant to be a syndicate member and not everyone is going to necessarily "powerful" by traditional HITMAN standards. I haven't played enough to get to a "Boss" target (just played two missions) but I'm guessing the final-final Boss won't be some guy milling about in a ten-foot area with no guards whatsoever like one of my targets.

calistan

Yeah, I'm mostly going to go back and play the maps in the campaign just to get a better lay of the maps. I almost failed Colombia because I had no idea about the map whatsoever. Miami - my first map - was super easy because I've played that map for hours. I feel like that meta knowledge is kind of critical with how brutal some of these Secondary Objectives are - like how can you do the "Unlock No Doors" objective efficiently if you have no idea about the map (I failed this on Miami, because I couldn't figure out how to get to the Race Marshal room without unlocking a door)?

I asked about this in DISCORD. Does quitting the game just reset back to the beginning of the mission? Exiting the game specifically mentions losing the mission, and didn't want to risk hard quitting so just finished the map I was on.

. . .also, yeah, one of my syndicate members was working the fields, but then I remembered the briefing they gave: everyone is meant to be a syndicate member and not everyone is going to necessarily "powerful" by traditional HITMAN standards. I haven't played enough to get to a "Boss" target (just played two missions) but I'm guessing the final-final Boss won't be some guy milling about in a ten-foot area with no guards whatsoever like one of my targets.
Just hard quit the game. I’m on Xbox, so I pause it, go to the menu and force quit. Alt-F4 or whatever. When you reload you’ll be back at the safe house as if you’d never done the mission. Save scumming for Hitman!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Why is adding weapons and gear to your wall so damn satisfying? It reminds me of the previous games hideout.

I really need to get a briefcase so I can smuggle out a sniper rifle.

GHG

Gold Member
Does anyone else feel like DLSS is broken with the new update? I get the same performance when in Ultra Perf. and Quality. That shouldn't happen at all.

You're CPU limited that's why.

This game is heavily CPU limited, especially if you're playing the hitman 1 and 2 levels.

AJUMP23

Anyone else getting their but kicked. I made it through one whole syndicate finally. On the second one and doing better. I am map rusty. Also there needs to be a base that I travel with. A silenced weapon and fiber wire. I’m a rich assassin I would have that stuff.

it is very fun though.

calistan

I’ve been playing this loads, Freelancer mode is fantastic, but holy crap, are the penalties for failure ever harsh.

Fail a mission, lose all the gear you had with you and half your cash. Taking away half your money is bad enough, especially if you’ve just spent a load of it on some new weapons, because you lose those too. But fail an ‘alerted’ mission or a boss level, and you lose your entire campaign progress. That could be up to 18 missions. Back to the start you go.

Generally I’m quick enough to hit pause and quit the game if it goes wrong, but there’s the occasional time when, after spending up to an hour on a mission, I’ve thought I could dash to safety but got shot down instead. There are no saves.

Those times have cost me a silenced sniper rifle, three silenced pistols, a silenced shotgun, a silenced SMG… and that’s just the good stuff. I only have shitty weapons left. Tens of thousand of Hitmanbucks. Maybe 15-20 hours of progress. Agent 47 has a nice house though, at least he gets to keep that.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Mode is super addicting. Been playing this more than the Dead Space Remake actually.

I still hate Colorado and always skip on campaigns that include it. Sapienza plays great for the final mission in a campaign, and if you're lucky enough to spawn at the old fort, there almost always will be several suspects heading there for a meeting.

The hideout/house customization is much deeper than I imagined it would be. Not only can you change up the overall rooms look, but also paintings, furniture, decorations, vehicles, and more. This in turn allows you to grab some items before heading out (stethoscope and banana being top tier).

I've failed LOTS of campaigns already, and lost several sniper rifles, a handful of epic and legendary SMGs and pistols, and of course my near complete tool collection. Despite this I keep coming back and really enjoy the various objectives you can do for extra money. There's also completely unmarked things like the vault in New York that can get you some goodies.

The randomness of your targets combined with your varied spawn locations even enhances the already fantastic replayability that comes with Hitman. Collecting weapons on your wall is just as fun as it was in previous titles, but with added risks and rewards.

HIGHLY recommend people checking this out.

AJUMP23

I finally have a silenced handgun, and now I don't worry about cameras or much else. I even walked through a heightened security mission with a Sniper rifle in a brief case, sniped the dudes, sniped the guards for extra cash and was never seen. Then I peace'd out.

I am about to finish a level three syndicate, then onto a level for to hopefully finish a whole run. Made it to level 10. I would like to be able to take a gun and coins and poison in every mission.

I went to the Island level, target riding a jetski got popped by me after I walked up to him and shot him in the head. Walked out before the guards knew what happened.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I finally have a silenced handgun, and now I don't worry about cameras or much else. I even walked through a heightened security mission with a Sniper rifle in a brief case, sniped the dudes, sniped the guards for extra cash and was never seen. Then I peace'd out.

I am about to finish a level three syndicate, then onto a level for to hopefully finish a whole run. Made it to level 10. I would like to be able to take a gun and coins and poison in every mission.

I went to the Island level, target riding a jetski got popped by me after I walked up to him and shot him in the head. Walked out before the guards knew what happened.
The assassins on the final missions for campaigns have a really good silenced pistol. Overall the best options is grabbing the silenced SMG from Dubai as you can also use it to shoot opens doors fairly quietly.

After I lost my collector's coin twice, I don't bother buying it and instead just collect coins in level.

R6Rider

Gold Member
At what point are items collected permanently saved? At the end of the entire campaign?
No items are permanent.

Anything on the walls will stay if you don't bring them with you (and maybe escape a failed campaign alive, but not 100% about this one).
All the freelancer tools will be gone from the 3 cases on the table.
You can buy higher rarity/collector's versions of these items that will be put on the wall and follow the rules as weapons on the wall as above.
If you lose an ornamental weapon (unlocked through mastery levels) for example, these will be removed from your wall, BUT will show up in supplier shops.

Last edited:
No items are permanent.

Anything on the walls will stay if you don't bring them with you (and maybe escape a failed campaign alive, but not 100% about this one).
All the freelancer tools will be gone from the 3 cases on the table.
You can buy higher rarity/collector's versions of these items that will be put on the wall and follow the rules as weapons on the wall as above.
If you lose an ornamental weapon (unlocked through mastery levels) for example, these will be removed from your wall, BUT will show up in supplier shops.
Ah okay, I thought if you failed one of the showdown things you would lose everything. But it is still just everything in your current inventory, that is good to know.

I guess my question was mostly because of the freelancer tools - seems like they never stay though. Which I guess is fair because some of those are super helpful.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ah okay, I thought if you failed one of the showdown things you would lose everything. But it is still just everything in your current inventory, that is good to know.

I guess my question was mostly because of the freelancer tools - seems like they never stay though. Which I guess is fair because some of those are super helpful.
Exactly. Those tools are very useful for the objectives, and are cheap to buy. The dart guns being overall themes useful and costing the most at 4k. Seeing the cases full is satisfying, but don't be afraid of using those tools whenever needed.

Every time a higher rarity one shows up on a supplier though, it's ALWAYS after I failed or spent my money on something else.

Last edited:

calistan

My top tip for recovering silenced pistols and cash after a failure is to go on a cathartic rampage in a syndicate leader level.

As long as you can pick out the leader early (just watch for the ‘tell’ animations in the x-ray vision mode) you can find a defensible room and go loud to mop up assassins and guards, leaving you free to open safes and kill couriers. Sometimes the couriers are guards, and they’ll drop their cash in the pile of corpses.

I love a good rampage in Hitman. I’ve also got a classy technique for getting the Collateral objective (kill a target plus at least one other in an accident) involving a can of oil and some unconscious people.

Just failed my final Campaign mission in complete bullshit style and I'm pretty salty about it. I don't know, I like the concept (especially the base-building and weapon-earning aspects, which are very similar to previous Hitman games), but it just doesn't feel conducive to or rewarding for my normal Hitman playstyle. It seems optimal to just find/buy a silenced pistol and play like it's Hitman Codename 47 (in other words: barely acknowledge stealth mechanics and just kill every armed enemy that crosses you) since there's no penalty for killing non-targets unless you've taken a SA Prestige Challenge. It genuinely just feels like I'm wasting time and effort trying to SA it with fiberwire and distractions.

Speaking of classic Hitman, I was hoping Freelancer's economy would be more like in Blood Money (i.e. leaving your suit behind incurs a monetary penalty, as does killing non-target enemies, bodies being found, etc.), but of course this version is much simpler... meh. I just don't see myself grinding out the levels like I did in Hitman 2016.

Last edited:

calistan

Just failed my final Campaign mission in complete bullshit style and I'm pretty salty about it. I don't know, I like the concept (especially the base-building and weapon-earning aspects, which are very similar to previous Hitman games), but it just doesn't feel conducive to or rewarding for my normal Hitman playstyle. It seems optimal to just find/buy a silenced pistol and play like it's Hitman Codename 47 (in other words: barely acknowledge stealth mechanics and just kill every armed enemy that crosses you) since there's no penalty for killing non-targets unless you've taken a SA Prestige Challenge. It genuinely just feels like I'm wasting time and effort trying to SA it with fiberwire and distractions.

Speaking of classic Hitman, I was hoping Freelancer's economy would be more like in Blood Money (i.e. leaving your suit behind incurs a monetary penalty, as does killing non-target enemies, bodies being found, etc.), but of course this version is much simpler... meh. I just don't see myself grinding out the levels like I did in Hitman 2016.
Killing civilians costs you a small amount of cash and killing the wrong target in a syndicate leader level costs you a lot.

If you're finding yourself drawn towards the easier, more violent playing style, maybe go for a different type of syndicate. There are plenty where the basic objectives are quite tricky and require stealth.

Killing civilians costs you a small amount of cash and killing the wrong target in a syndicate leader level costs you a lot.

If you're finding yourself drawn towards the easier, more violent playing style, maybe go for a different type of syndicate. There are plenty where the basic objectives are quite tricky and require stealth.
I was already doing the stealth syndicates. Yeah I made a lot of cash (half of which is gone now lol) by accomplishing the goals, but again it feels suboptimal to just doing the headshot/gun syndicates where the challenges will probably be even easier to accomplish. What took me hours of stealthing and espionage will undoubtedly be faster w the HC47 approach. Again, SA-style just feels like a waste of time in this mode - a feeling that is probably exacerbated because I failed my campaign at the very end lol

calistan

I was already doing the stealth syndicates. Yeah I made a lot of cash (half of which is gone now lol) by accomplishing the goals, but again it feels suboptimal to just doing the headshot/gun syndicates where the challenges will probably be even easier to accomplish. What took me hours of stealthing and espionage will undoubtedly be faster w the HC47 approach. Again, SA-style just feels like a waste of time in this mode - a feeling that is probably exacerbated because I failed my campaign at the very end lol
Failing a campaign is definitely a downer, but I keep coming back after I've cooled off.

At the weekend I was doing the Japan level with objectives for killing guards with shotguns and assault rifles. So I went in fully tooled up, plus explosives and a 'legendary' melee weapon for some other objectives, but instead of starting me in the hotel room as I'd expected, it put me on a bench in the middle of the bathhouse, openly armed to the teeth. People were running around screaming before I'd even stood up.

I got mobbed and killed before I could run to safety, and I realised I'd taken the ornamental shotgun reward weapon in with me. I have no idea if I can buy that back. Plus I lost my good lockpick and my complete collection of rubber ducks. Losing the tools from the safehouse makes no sense at all, it's really annoying. But I was back on it the next day, looking for campaigns with the New York level to rebuild my cash supply.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Failing a campaign is definitely a downer, but I keep coming back after I've cooled off.

At the weekend I was doing the Japan level with objectives for killing guards with shotguns and assault rifles. So I went in fully tooled up, plus explosives and a 'legendary' melee weapon for some other objectives, but instead of starting me in the hotel room as I'd expected, it put me on a bench in the middle of the bathhouse, openly armed to the teeth. People were running around screaming before I'd even stood up.

I got mobbed and killed before I could run to safety, and I realised I'd taken the ornamental shotgun reward weapon in with me. I have no idea if I can buy that back. Plus I lost my good lockpick and my complete collection of rubber ducks. Losing the tools from the safehouse makes no sense at all, it's really annoying. But I was back on it the next day, looking for campaigns with the New York level to rebuild my cash supply.

Yeah any single large weapon you bring (or water/oil canister) will be brought in a briefcase. Bringing two will mean one will be visible to NPCs.

You can get the ornamental weapons again, as they will show up at a supplier for sale. Losing the Freelancer tools sucks, but they are cheap and easy to get back so it becomes normal to lose them (I've lost full or nearly full tools dozens of times).

The lock pick is decent, but I found bringing a suppressed weapon (such as the one from Dubai) to be overall much more effective.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Finally made it through a whole syndicate run over the weekend. I really enjoyed the mode. I will say the best place to have Showdown missions is Miami. You have a garage that most of the suspects travel though it has long empty corridors where you can take out Assassins', lookouts and suspects. Even when Miami is elevated it is still great to stick to the parking garage.

calistan

Finally made it through a whole syndicate run over the weekend. I really enjoyed the mode. I will say the best place to have Showdown missions is Miami. You have a garage that most of the suspects travel though it has long empty corridors where you can take out Assassins', lookouts and suspects. Even when Miami is elevated it is still great to stick to the parking garage.
I'm on my fourth run now, I just can't stop playing it. Haven't had a Miami showdown level yet, though. I think the worst one for a showdown is the Chinese level, because the suspects are often in the underground facility and the doors down there don't seem to work in Freelancer mode.

AJUMP23

I'm on my fourth run now, I just can't stop playing it. Haven't had a Miami showdown level yet, though. I think the worst one for a showdown is the Chinese level, because the suspects are often in the underground facility and the doors down there don't seem to work in Freelancer mode.
Avoid China and Colorado. Morocco also sucks.

samenamenick

Neo Member
On showdown mission of final campaign for the second time. Been savescumming on my sx, but last time even that wasn't enough to get lit up and die before I could quit out. Ambrose island. Excited, but scared. I lost my goldballer last time. Great game

Killer8

Only solution I found for this was to use my TV's dynamic tone mapping instead of HGiG. World of difference.

calistan

I finally completed my wall of weapons! Including the melee wall and the DLC bonus stuff. That's five full campaigns, numerous failures, and roughly 60-70 hours of play. Freelancer mode is absolutely my favourite way to play Hitman now, and it cements this game as my all-time #1.
ggyA7Os.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
I finally completed my wall of weapons! Including the melee wall and the DLC bonus stuff. That's five full campaigns, numerous failures, and roughly 60-70 hours of play. Freelancer mode is absolutely my favourite way to play Hitman now, and it cements this game as my all-time #1.
ggyA7Os.jpg
I haven't had time to try out freelancer, can't wait when spare time permits :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why is the app still Hitman III and not changed to World of Assassination only, or Hitman Trilogy or anything, that's annoying me for some reason >_>

SeraphJan

One of my favorite franchise, the sandboxy nature of the game encourage creativity, especially if you are aiming for silent assassin rating, the attention to detail in this franchise is mind blowing

Last edited:

calistan

One of my favorite franchise, the sandboxy nature of the game encourage creativity, especially if you are aiming for silent assassin rating, the attention to detail in this franchise is mind blowing
Freelancer mode has given me a new appreciation of how beautifully the whole thing is put together. The different objectives encourage you to play in different ways, and after you’ve done the same level 20 or 30 times with different playstyles, you can influence the sandbox like some sort of malevolent deity.

Watching through Instinct mode as states of alert spread, and this person tells another person, who runs off and tells a guard, but if you nip it in the bud then nobody gets alerted. It feels alive, and it follows a really organic set of rules.

The only thing I’d consider cheating on the part of the AI is its supernatural ability to track down the source of silenced gunshots. Beyond that, it’s like a living world, albeit one that’s very conscious of its status as a game. This is just the best thing I’ve ever played.

SeraphJan

it’s like a living world
IMO this is one of the most underappreciated franchise of all, people either dive deep into the game and loving it death, or just play few minute of it and never bother with it again, the new trilogy kind of lower the entry bar for appealing to wider audiences, but it still preserves it core design, which is absolutely beautiful. The lively world and its attention to detail is unmatched

Last edited:
Top Bottom