• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 surpasses its predecessor to claim No.1 (PS5 took nearly 50% of sales)

Bodomism

Banned
So let me get this straight, Hitman 3 sold 7000 (seven thousand) copies on the PS5 and now SonyGAF is predicting that PS5 will outsell the Switch?

ricky gervais laughing GIF
Yep. Lol 😂

Animal Crossing NH and MK8D are still the best selling SKU and yet the talk about outselling Switch is very rampant.

lol not happening
Well PS5 managed to be sold out globally, switch never did.

So in a sense it already happened, not by numbers, but by popularity.

Switch didn't sell out even on launch here (+ at least few other countries), and it have been easily available always, while Sony consoles still sell out around december + PS5 have been sold out for months globally and will be

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
Well PS5 managed to be sold out globally, switch never did.

So in a sense it already happened, not by numbers, but by popularity.

Switch didn't sell out even on launch here (+ at least few other countries), and it have been easily available always, while Sony consoles still sell out around december + PS5 have been sold out for months globally and will be
Nintendo Switch was launched in March not in holiday month like PS5 and XSX.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console while PS5 is trailing behind PS4 launch aligned.

Nintendo Switch is selling at monstrous level in a year, something that has never been done by any playstation console ever.

Bryank75

Banned

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console while PS5 is trailing behind PS4 launch aligned.

Nintendo Switch is selling at monstrous level in a year, something that has never been done by any playstation console ever.
PS5 is only behind due to supply issues.

Switch is doing great, nobody is diminishing what it achieved. Many PS owners also buy Nintendo.

You also have to see that Switch is 200-300 vs PS5 400-500. You can buy 2 Switches for the same money as 1 PS5. It will also impact sales longterm.

Bodomism

Banned
PS5 is only behind due to supply issues.

Switch is doing great, nobody is diminishing what it achieved. Many PS owners also buy Nintendo.

You also have to see that Switch is 200-300 vs PS5 400-500. You can buy 2 Switches for the same money as 1 PS5. It will also impact sales longterm.
If you say dollar sales let's talk about record breaking profits of Nintendo Switch vs Playstation.

Nintendo Switch will generate more profits than PS4 and PS5 combined.

RPSleon

Think gamepass had an impact here? People might just not buy it on xbox and wait for it to be on gamepass. I know if i was paying for that id not wanna buy new games on top.

Rikkori

That's actually really bad, shows low interest in the game besides people on next-gen who are lacking in games. So it's selling based on famine more than pure interest.

United Kingdom - Week 3, 2021
Retail sales estimate

1. Hitman 3 - 13.800 <> 14.100
PS5 (49%): ~6.700 <> ~6.850
XBS+XBO (27%): ~3.700 <> ~3.800
PS4 (25%): ~3.400 <> ~3.500

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 13.000 <> 13.300

Aanimal Crossing New Horizons is the real beast here Basically the best selling SKU in UK week 3.
What does this have to do with Hitman?

If you say dollar sales let's talk about record breaking profits of Nintendo Switch vs Playstation.

That's not what's being said at all.
The point being made was that the PS5 is more expensive, which will impact sales volume. The Switch is cheaper. The Switch Lite is much much cheaper.

I don't doubt Nintendo make a higher margin on the Switch, given its cheap hardware and frankly abysmal build quality. And I don't doubt they make a lot of money on their games, because they're able to get away with not reducing their prices. They probably also don't have as large an overhead on network services given how badly run it is.
But these are separate discussions entirely.

Success isn't a zero sum game. Nintendo is doing very well. But that doesn't mean Sony isn't or can't be doing just as well.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned

Ps4 is the most profitable console in history & Switch will never, ever touch that record.

Straight facts.

& will keep printing money for the next 2/3 years or so.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I was feeling pretty good about XBox up until Satya Nadel started commenting on gaming. Which is ironic because so many Xbox fans saw that as a good sign. But if you listened to what he said, all he cares about is the promise of game streaming and the money from subscription services. They are raking in dough with high profit margin Azure services and want to apply that to gaming.

What XBox is doing right now is fine to me, but it's all a house of cards IMO. I really am not bullish on game streaming, and at the very least think it's going to take a long time to really become some big thing. I have my doubts that Microsoft has the patience for that, and I think the actions of the last year (removing the one year Live cards, effectively raising the price, the recent price hike, etc.) leads me to believe that while they do have a bit of a blank check right now, the bean counters are also paying attention. We all know the MS board of directors was not happy with the lack of real profitability some years ago an wanted to ditch the brand.. if game streaming doesn't take off quickly, my bet is on those voices getting louder and they'll have every right to be loud.
Yep, this is the point I made the other day.

Hezekiah

Banned
Retail sales estimate

Aanimal Crossing New Horizons is the real beast here Basically the best selling SKU in UK week 3.
What does Animal Crossing have to do with anything in a Hitman thread?

You already have a weekly thread where you can jerk off to Nintendo's sales margins, let's not pollute more threads with your Asperger's addiction to Nintendo financial reports and sales.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yep, this is the point I made the other day.
It’s definitely true that sub services can creep up in price and are designed to eventually do so, but their real goal is this idea that they will scale the subs massively.

Started with “1 billllion gamers” and the latest from Satya was “THREE billllion gamers.”

I’m sure he knows that’s hyperbole but it reveals they have insanely lofty goals. That goes hand in hand with Spencer’s comments about how Google and Amazon are the real competitors.

You do have to keep in mind they intend to sell that tech to others, including Sony, so some of it is the expectation that they’ll have their own Xbox stuff and then “Azure Game Streaming” to sell to other platforms or publishers... but it’s definitely what is going on behind the scenes with the blank checks, and I think the price hikes are evidence they aren’t currently happy with their revenue. They probably didn’t see the rise they expected from a new console launch.

They also think the S is going to outsell the X, which may or may not be true, but is also tied to the same strategy. It’s the casual gamers they really want; they want mobile phone gamers mainly.

They embarrassed themselves with the core gaming audience this past gen, and at the end of the 360 gen which became the “Kinect gen”, and are definitely courting that audience... so hopefully that is ALSO part of their strategy long term, but if the casual / cloud thing doesn’t scale the business the way they want to... it’ll not be pretty at Xbox, dealing with Microsoft execs and their board of directors.

Wizz-Art

Even if Xbox community buying more games digitally, it won't mitigate that huge percentage difference in physical purchases because also PS community buying games digitally too
Of course not, that's not what I was saying but the split would obviously be a lot closer then physical is my point.

It’s definitely true that sub services can creep up in price and are designed to eventually do so, but their real goal is this idea that they will scale the subs massively.

Started with “1 billllion gamers” and the latest from Satya was “THREE billllion gamers.”

I’m sure he knows that’s hyperbole but it reveals they have insanely lofty goals. That goes hand in hand with Spencer’s comments about how Google and Amazon are the real competitors.

You do have to keep in mind they intend to sell that tech to others, including Sony, so some of it is the expectation that they’ll have their own Xbox stuff and then “Azure Game Streaming” to sell to other platforms or publishers... but it’s definitely what is going on behind the scenes with the blank checks, and I think the price hikes are evidence they aren’t currently happy with their revenue. They probably didn’t see the rise they expected from a new console launch.

They also think the S is going to outsell the X, which may or may not be true, but is also tied to the same strategy. It’s the casual gamers they really want; they want mobile phone gamers mainly.

They embarrassed themselves with the core gaming audience this past gen, and at the end of the 360 gen which became the “Kinect gen”, and are definitely courting that audience... so hopefully that is ALSO part of their strategy long term, but if the casual / cloud thing doesn’t scale the business the way they want to... it’ll not be pretty at Xbox, dealing with Microsoft execs and their board of directors.
What Microsoft doesn't realize, is that they can't ASSUME that they are going to have a popular product, and then design and market it as if the popularity is baked in. It is the same mistake the Avengers game made, that they decided from the onset that the game will be well-loved and all they need to do is to make lots of easy money.

This is especially strange for Xbox, because Xbox products is coming third in console gaming. To assume that they would suddenly become many times more successful than they ever have been in the last decade, is literally fantasy.

Bodomism

Banned
Ps4 is the most profitable console in history & Switch will never, ever touch that record.

Straight facts.

& will keep printing money for the next 2/3 years or so.
Lmao, Switch has already overtaken PS4 . Official report will be released on 1st February for the confirmation of Nintendo Switch as the most profitable hardware in half of PS4 lifecycle.

1604573794336.png

Can't wait for that.

Zoro7

Banned
You just ignored a huge chunk of my point @isoRhythm lol

No offense, but I don't think you guys really understand the tech aspect or the business aspect.

It's not like these companies haven't experienced this same transition through a ton of generations and are just dummies and forum gamers are really the one's that understand.

Just think about the fact that a game "from scratch" nowadays, a large AAA game, takes more than half a decade to make. So the vast majority of games are just building on the tech of the previous game; that's also why the vast majority of games are sequels, because they can even borrow assets. So even if you think that 10's of millions of dollars lost (what losing just ~170k or so game sales represents) is "trivial" (it isn't), it's not really that POSSIBLE to make a true "next gen game" that quickly anyways.
Wow you come across very obnoxious in a lot of your posts. Even though you make a valid point what’s the point of that first sentence.

So you think the overall split counting physical and digital won't be smaller? I disagree, counting both the split would be closer.

Looks like you didn't paid attention to what i've said

Even if Xbox community buying more games digitally, it won't mitigate that huge percentage difference in physical purchases because also PS community buying games digitally too.

Combining digital percentage and physical then won't put split a lot closer like you said. In that case Xbox community would need to catch up in sales about 3:1 digitally compared to PS community if sales split overall to be a lot closer. That won't happen and can't happen.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned

Cant Wait to play the next battlefield on the switch

🤡🤡🤡🤡
And thats precisely why From is a multiplat dev now
They had a long history of xbox exclusives too, like Otogi (2002), Otogi 2 (2003), Murakumo (2003), Metal Wolf Chaos (2004), Enchanted Arms (2006), Chomehounds (2006), Tenchu Z (2008), Ninja Blade (2009). It's a pity that thay didn't continued some interesting franchises, but I can see why exactly after original Demon's Souls they stopped doing xbox exclusives almost completely (maybe they did a Kinect game, dunno)

Last edited:

Unknown?

This just isn't true about PS5. As for Switch it should only be compared to 3DS or DS lines because it's a tablet.

Tmack

Woah ~75% of Hitman's sales were PS, and even more surprised that 50% were PS5. Doesn't this go against the idea that PS4 still has to be supported for a few more years because it has such a huge base?

Also the only Hitman game I've played was Absolution on the PS3 and thought it was pretty good. If anyone has played Hitman 3 and absolution, how do they compare?

It doesn`t work that way.

There are few PS5 games, so the few that got released get disproportional sales compared to the overall market, simple because they have less competition on the PS5 market.

TheMan

People are thirsty for ps5 games, news at 11. Backwards compatibility is nice but what we really want are native games

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
The PS5 is almost guaranteed to sell over 100m just like 3/4 of the prior Sony consoles, no clue why fanboys cant come to gripes with the obvious that Playsation consoles are hugely successful.

Wizz-Art

Looks like you didn't paid attention to what i've said

Even if Xbox community buying more games digitally, it won't mitigate that huge percentage difference in physical purchases because also PS community buying games digitally too.

Combining digital percentage and physical then won't put split a lot closer like you said. In that case Xbox community would need to catch up in sales about 3:1 digitally compared to PS community if sales split overall to be a lot closer. That won't happen and can't happen.
If the Digital split is closer then what we have with the physical split the combined split will be closer overall. I said the Digital split will be a lot closer when we see the Digital splits, Combined overall will be closer too.

Last edited:
And PS5 is just a pc with Sony O/S, your point is?
The point is that they're not really competing with each other.
Most people who own a PS4 also own a switch and vice versa - this trend will continue into the next generation.

And contgrats to Nintendo for having a profitable console.
Why does that matter in a thread about Hitman performing incredibly well on PS5.

Success isn't a zero sum game. Nintendo can be successful, and Sony can be successful at the same time.
A remarkable thought, but its true.

MagnesG

Banned
Retail sales estimate

LMAO all that headline fanfare with 200 +++++++ percentage and this is the actual number.

Pretty embarrassing I would say.

Top Bottom