• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 has 50% negative reviews on Steam

Bullet Club

Hitman 3 has 50% negative reviews on Steam​

Mostly because of the price

Hitman 1-3 is a fantastic trilogy and, also, a curse upon digital storefronts. Hitman 3 frustrated players when it first launched on Epic, because their progress didn't carry over; Hitman 1 frustrated players on GOG last year because its internet requirements constitute DRM; and now Hitman 3 is back at it again on Steam. It currently has "Mixed" reviews after arriving on the platform earlier this week, with players cross about its price, its umpteen editions, and - yes, again - progress not carrying over for some.

At the time of writing, Hitman 3 on Steam has a mere 50% positive reviews. Chief among the issues in negative reviews is the price, which is set at £50/$60 for the standard edition. That's the same price as when it launched a year ago on the Epic Games Store. Some reviews feel it should be lower given a year has passed, while others feel there should be a launch discount. Many users point out that the game has previously been more than half-off on the Epic Games Store.

The issue is that some players waited a year for the game to come to Steam, and feel they ought to be compensated for waiting, while others already own it on Epic or on console and are buying it again for the additional content or to own all three games in one place. In either case, players seemingly feel entitled to a cheaper game.

Making matters worse is that Hitman 3 has a particularly complicated set of editions. There's the aforementioned standard edition, plus a deluxe edition, the Hitman Trilogy, the Trilogy Premium Add-Ons Bundle, the Hitman 3: Seven Deadly Sins Collection, and the Hitman 3 Access Pass: Hitman 2 Gold. These various bundles are offered in respect of players who already own some parts of the content elsewhere, or already own previous games, but trying to work out which contains what and which you should buy is a mission.

Still more complaints centre on some of the new content added for this Steam release, particularly the addition of the previously PlayStation-exclusive virtual reality mode. Most reviews don't offer specifics, only suggesting that the implementation is subpar. "Even a VR mod from a hobby developer is far better than this," writes one reviewer.

Hitman 3 is a great game and a fitting end to a fantastic trilogy. Many of the negative Steam reviews even say so. It seems unreasonable to expect a great game - with another year of content on the way - to be cheap just because it's a year old. Still, players aren't wrong to be confused by the various editions, or to be disappointed by lackluster new modes if they've been compelled to buy the game for a second time. It's a shame that Hitman 3's second launch seems as tainted as its first.

Source: RPS

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I had another go of the 3rd last night on the Series X and was reminded that it is such a brilliant game (excluding all that online only bullshit Square wants to ram up our arse, because 'reasons..')

So glad Hitman went back to being great after that hot mess of Absolution.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The whole trilogy just dropped on Game Pass. I can't imagine wanting to spend £50 on Hitman 3 when I could sign up for a £1 GP trial on a burner account and just play through it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly they should just include the prior titles in 3 for all versions, it avoids this stupid issue and confusion between all the versions.

One of the reasons I didn't get it on epic (outside of it being epic) is that since I owned the prior two games on Steam and they had decided to be paid off for exclusivity rights to epic there solution for me was "too buy the prior games again on EPIC" to unlock the levels... wow thanks for the huge fuck you.

I ended up getting it super cheap on PS5, that's the advantage of physical media and the games media chanting at the time "deathloop deathloop deathloop deathloop" much better titles drop in price, it'd a great game but has a shitty pricing model.

I'm with the steam users on this, it's a year old, most games would be selling a GOTY edition including everything at a reduced cost by now.

I will point out Hitman 1-3 is now part of PC Gamepass meaning that really no one should be buying the title on steam.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Isn't the new steam version the trilogy with all 3 games included? $60 for all 3 games and the DLC seems fair as a launch price to be honest. The game that launched a year ago was just Hitman 3, You had to pay extra if you wanted to integrate Hitman 1 and 2 into 3 if you didn't already own them, and even more if you wanted to integrate the DLC levels from the first two games. Here's you get everything in a single package, so it seems fair to me.

Edit: Oh wow nvm, I guess it's only Hitman 3 and apparently the trilogy doesn't include the DLC of the first two game which they're charging an additional $40 for, wow. I thought they were charging $60 for the trilogy with all DLC but this here is some straight up bullshit pricing.

Last edited:

Strider311

I had another go of the 3rd last night on the Series X and was reminded that it is such a brilliant game (excluding all that online only bullshit Square wants to ram up our arse, because 'reasons..')

So glad Hitman went back to being great after that hot mess of Absolution.
I love the new trilogy, but… I also love Absolution, with all its faults. What can I say… I’m just a stealth junky.

50/60 for the trilogy on steam?
That's great...PS Store has it for 100€ and the Add-Ons Bundle i have to pay an extra 60€ lmao! 🤡

I don't know who thought this was a good idea...but okay. I'll buy this at a discount in 3 years

GHG

The VR is shit and there's no simple way to get the trilogy for people who already own hitman 1 and 2 on Steam.

They fucked it up so deserve to be told so.

Entitlement is off the fucking charts.

Why don't you go and read some reviews instead of taking what this journalist says as gospel?

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'd be very interested to see the difference in sales and profit when a game launches on all platforms and storefronts compared to exclusivity deals like epic store of 12 months on xbox etc.

Surely a game does much better when released on everything day 1!

Sentenza

Isn't the new steam version the trilogy with all 3 games included? $60 for all 3 games and the DLC seems fair as a launch price to be honest. The game that launched a year ago was just Hitman 3, You had to pay extra if you wanted to integrate Hitman 1 and 2 into 3 if you didn't already own them, and even more if you wanted to integrate the DLC levels from the first two games. Here's you get everything in a single package, so it seems fair to me.

Edit: Oh wow nvm, I guess it's only Hitman 3 and apparently the trilogy doesn't include the DLC of the first two game which they're charging an additional $40 for, wow. I thought they were charging $60 for the trilogy with all DLC but this here is some straight up bullshit pricing.
There also seems to be no discount for owners of the previous two on Steam.

Quick reminder that there's no intermediary "greedy publisher" to blame here and all the questionable decisions IOI made in recent times were all of their own making.

It's a bit like Bungie and how everyone assumed that it was MS first and Activision then that pushed for the most egregious bullshit, but it turned out that no, they were the ones deserving of being called out as greedy fuckers.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hitman 3 is a brilliant game…..why is it always steam that shits the bed

How many times does this need to be repeated.

Because steam reviews are people reviewing a Product not the game.

You could have a perfect 10/10 titles but if someone turned round a year later and sold it for £100 minimum you would get your ass handed in reviews, that's because the reviews are for the "product" this includes prices, DRM, control's, bad translations in things like Spanish, German etc. Not just "HURR DURR GRAPPLE HOOK GUD GOTY"

This is how Steam reviews have been for a decade, they are the same as Amazon reviews vs a critic review its that simple. This makes them a useful tool for a consumer because we already have critic reviews all over the place telling us over 4 pages that a title is GOTY because a grapple hook works.

Last edited:

GHG

"entitlement"

"steam fans are the worst".

Here are the most recent negative reviews on steam:

XHS1A4f.jpg
A7mgPFj.jpg
zUWzWhi.jpg
gIk2ePd.jpg
PZKWohT.jpg
0IFtpfE.jpg
hMdaBm7.jpg
9urMsmd.jpg
MaFGCv8.jpg
ObOJchs.jpg

Such entitlement for wanting a game to fucking work and to have a simple path for accessing content you already own.

Last edited:
Game was 60 percent off this month so I wouldn't say it's entitled to expect that a sale at launch at the very least. Would also be nice if they had a complete your bundle offer but that's their call.

Since they want to play that way I'll just keep pretending the game doesn't exist until it hits a monthly bundle or the equivalent pricing like used PlayStation copies.

Lanrutcon

I was actually looking forward to this. Everyone says it's great.

But always online? charging full price after a year of holding it hostage? Not to mention the launch on Steam was a technical clusterfuck, and I don't even own a VR rig.

I'll look into this when it's like, 50% off in December.

brian0057

Banned
"entitlement"

"steam fans are the worst".

Here are the most recent negative reviews on steam:

XHS1A4f.jpg
A7mgPFj.jpg
zUWzWhi.jpg
gIk2ePd.jpg
PZKWohT.jpg
0IFtpfE.jpg
hMdaBm7.jpg
9urMsmd.jpg
MaFGCv8.jpg
ObOJchs.jpg

Such entitlement for wanting a game to fucking work and to have a simple path for accessing content you already own.
If there's one series that didn't need the albatross/facehugger that is VR, it was Hitman.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You get people used to sub models and cheap pricing and that's what you get
edit: wtf is going on on that store page lol.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
From watching IO´s roadmap, it seems to me they are trying to convert Hitman 3 into a Game As A Service.
I really enjoyed the previous Hitman games, but if this is the future for the saga, you can count me out.

Paasei

All these complaints are basically what prevented me from buying it again after the Steam release. I play this game almost daily, but these annoying extra packs and progress crossover, truly is such a mess.
A big shame. There's an amazing game waiting for you if you are able to get through this mess first, which shouldn't even be there.

The replayability of these games are still unmatched, because of contracts, Hitman roulette which is a site that sets (random) kill conditions and elusive targets.

Seem like legit negative reviews.

TrueLegend

You get people used to sub models and cheap pricing and that's what you get
Are you high. Have you seen the store page. Buying this game has become a game on itself. More like some people addicted to paying too much money to broken games like recent battlefield have led to developers overpricing and overcomplicating things. Gaming is not cheap hobby, and PC gaming of all things is definitely not that. If anything subscription is bringing games down to their actual values. It's giving good indie games more exposure and saving people's money on bad AAA broken releases.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are you high. Have you seen the store page. Buying this game has become a game on itself. More like some people addicted to paying too much money to broken games like recent battlefield have led to developers overpricing and overcomplicating things. Gaming is not cheap hobby, and PC gaming of all things is definitely not that. If anything subscription is bringing games down to their actual values. It's giving good indie games more exposure and saving people's money on bad AAA broken releases.
you are right.
there are way more packs than I anticipated. wtf

Nautilus

Banned
Eh, this feels mostly like entitlement to me.

Sure that it sucks to pay full price for it, but it is a business at the end of the day. And hey, if you want to pay less, just buy it on the Epic Store. Its just a launcher, and its free to use.

The ones critisizing VR mode serms valid though. But doesn't seem like to be the majority of the complaints.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I loved IOI after the reboot/whatever Hitman in 2016. When 2 came out and you couldn't transfer your progress, I decided not to buy it. I 100%'d the first game and did not want to support the dev team for this type of thing. I did eventually wind up buying 2 when it was on super sale. I have no plans to ever buy 3 or, likely, any other IOI game. Shitty practices should not be rewarded.

Crazy how a dev can garner so much good will and just piss it down the drain.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
How many times does this need to be repeated.

Because steam reviews are people reviewing a Product not the game.

You could have a perfect 10/10 titles but if someone turned round a year later and sold it for £100 minimum you would get your ass handed in reviews, that's because the reviews are for the "product" this includes prices, DRM, control's, bad translations in things like Spanish, German etc. Not just "HURR DURR GRAPPLE HOOK GUD GOTY"

This is how Steam reviews have been for a decade, they are the same as Amazon reviews vs a critic review its that simple. This makes them a useful tool for a consumer because we already have critic reviews all over the place telling us over 4 pages that a title is GOTY because a grapple hook works.

1.5 months later, that 87 MC for Halo Infinite still burns you real bad 😂

Chukhopops

Looking at the store page I can see why PC players would find it confusing. You’d need to pay €135 to get the full content if I understood correctly?

Shame cause the game is really good, playing the first campaign on GP and I love it, didn’t realize how open the mission structure is.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
1.5 months later, that 87 MC for Halo Infinite still burns you real bad 😂

I could be discussing any game with a middling MC average and a grapple hook, there are just so many. However if when you think of over rated titles including a grapple hook, that's the first one that springs to your mind, well...

I couldn't possibly comment.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I'm so confused.

I've owned all 3 of these games throughout the years, loved the amount of content, replayability, the updates, DLC. I've not had performance issues either so I'm not sure what that is about, maybe that's a new issue...

I personally don't see what is wrong with the price cause imo you get so much content.

Von Hugh

The whole trilogy must be the single most confusing offering ever to me.
  • The name is only "Hitman", the same as it was 20 years ago
  • In 2016 is was supposed to be an episodic model, but then they decided it wasn't?
  • Here comes Hitman 2, looking basically like a new set of episodes to Hitman 1, or a DLC, but sold as a separate game
  • And here comes Hitman 3, only a couple years after Hitman 2. I don't even know how it differs from either Hitman 1 or 2

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The price is dumb but this is exactly the kind of shit that gets feedback mechanisms moderated eventually. Buying the game just to complain about the price is nonsense. I legit saw the first reviews and thought the game was broken.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nothing more to say on this subject, GHG GHG and STARSBarry STARSBarry pretty much nailed it. That being said, I have both hitman games on steam, and my dumbass brain kinda wants the third as well there even if I played it on PS4. Fantastic game that I want to replay with a higher framerate and stuff with idiotic product marketing. Guess I'll wait for a big sale or get it from a third party reseller when its cheap.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If you waited a year for it and you still can't afford $60, maybe wait a few more months until it goes on sale? Or, you know, don't buy it?

Cyberpunkd

Ok, so how the whole trilogy thing works on Series X? I start from the first one and it has the improvements of later titles? My progress carries somehow?

Ozriel

M$FT
I could be discussing any game with a middling MC average and a grapple hook, there are just so many. However if when you think of over rated titles including a grapple hook, that's the first one that springs to your mind, well...

I couldn't possibly comment.

Don't complicate things. Easy deduction, since you've been salty about that game for ages 😂

theclaw135

Banned
A game being full price on a different platform, is at least simple enough to comprehend.

All the season passes, GOTY passes, deluxe kits, it's too much.

VN1X

Banned
Entitlement is off the fucking charts.
I mean that's literally just the wording in the article. And let's not pretend that, unless it comes with extra content or other new features, it should have its cake and eat it too by launching full price a year later on Steam. They already got that sweet sweet exclusivity money from Epic even.

I don't think players expecting a slight launch discount is out of the ordinary in this situation nor would I go as far as labeling it as "entitlement being off the fucking charts" lol. Regardless of the game's quality I don't blame those who were willing to wait a year to be somewhat put off by the exact same asking price it had back when it first released.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Abit off topic sorry but a I have a question. Im on xbox and own Hitman 1&2 but have never played them. I read you can play through them via Hitman 3, I have gamepass so I can now play 3 aswell. My question is whats the best way for me to play through the trilogy now, shall i install them seperataly and play through 1 by 1 or install the lot and go through on Hitman 3 ? Thanks.

Chukhopops

Abit off topic sorry but a I have a question. Im on xbox and own Hitman 1&2 but have never played them. I read you can play through them via Hitman 3, I have gamepass so I can now play 3 aswell. My question is whats the best way for me to play through the trilogy now, shall i install them seperataly and play through 1 by 1 or install the lot and go through on Hitman 3 ? Thanks.
Install the trilogy and run the campaigns in order, that’s what I’m doing. Just go in the « Campaigns » tab, choose the first one and start from the tutorial.

Last edited:
Top Bottom