• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 3 development “is well underway”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Developer Io Interactive has had a significant share of ups and downs since the episodic relaunch of Hitman back in 2016, but it’s brought us a pair of world-class sandbox games that you should really be playing. While the studio has suggested that Hitman will continue, its focus has been on a new IP – and now, the devs have finally confirmed that the next chapter for Agent 47 is in development.

“After 13 months of full-time support and content for Hitman 2,” Io says in its November roadmap, “we’re now at a place where we are looking increasingly to the future. In real terms, we’re moving more and more of the Hitman 2 team to join the next Hitman game, which is well underway.”

The devs have recently said that “Hitman is a trilogy,” and they’ve been talking about carrying levels forward into a big number of new games since before Hitman 2 was even out. Yet they’ve been cagey about actually announcing their plans for Hitman 3 – and while they still haven’t actually said that title, this is by far the clearest indication that the game’s actually coming.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This reminds me I have the season pass for Hitman 2 and have yet to play the last 2 maps. Need to reinstall and replay the whole game again. Hopefully for the third game Jesper Kyd can make a return.

Von Hugh

I'm glad they have finally found their format, but I have a feeling that Hitman 2 already felt very same-y as Hitman 1. Now they are just making the same game with few to none changes but with different maps.

These are like DLC disguised as standalone games.

Coflash

I'm glad they have finally found their format, but I have a feeling that Hitman 2 already felt very same-y as Hitman 1. Now they are just making the same game with few to none changes but with different maps.

Agreed. Look at how much Hitman evolved from the first game through to Blood Money. There's hardly any of that going on anymore. The jump from Hitman > Hitman 2 alone, back then, was pretty amazing. Everything they do now feels like a map pack.

Blood Money had more interesting mechanics and it's 13 years old. It's hard to be impressed by levels just because large crowds are present - most of the mechanics, paths etc are very similar. Take those large crowds away and it's pretty shallow IMO.

xrnzaaas

This reminds me I have the season pass for Hitman 2 and have yet to play the last 2 maps. Need to reinstall and replay the whole game again. Hopefully for the third game Jesper Kyd can make a return.
New York is meh, but Haven Island is one of the best maps in the game and not only because the mission takes place in an island paradise. :)

Strider311

IMO, there is no longer a need for Hitman to reinvent itself with each sequel. The mechanics are where they need to be. For fans like me, all we need is more maps. I’m happy to give IO my money and support for more maps.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I can't say I'm interested, cuz it'll be more of the same on new maps with the same exact stuff to do which is basically - complete levels 15981795876987 times. and this is no what Hitman is all about to me and it never was to a such a scale. Hitman unfortunately lost all the appeal when they're doubled down on what first reboot did. I'd much rather buy / a lot more interested in another Absolution-like game.

They're basically making Sniper Elite out of Hitman now and I don't like it.

Last edited:

vpance

Can't imagine how good it's going to look on next gen.

Not too worried about them repeating things too much. With the CPU bump, extra memory and SSD they should probably be able to do a bunch of things they couldn't before with level design and AI.

Arachnid

Honestly, I'm good with it. I LOVE having my maps all under a single launcher and sharing unlocks between levels from 1 and 2. The format is great enough that I can enjoy it for a trilogy. Plus, any single Hitman game is already jam packed with content, so it's not like I'm not getting my money's worth. I can deal with the same format for one more game.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Importing H1 + H2 locations is huge. Wish more games did this. Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2 would have been much better games if they included their 1st games content right off the bat with updated GFX and game play mechanics.

Top Bottom