• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN 2 |OT| One Does Not Simply Murder Sean Bean

So what's the best deal on Hitman 2 running right now? Looks like cdkeys has the lowest price on base. Is there any reason to get the silver pack for like $9 more?

The Opportunities/Mission Stories in this one seem more.. linear and braindead than they were in the previous game. I highly recommend turning them off for initial runs through a mission so that you can actually learn the level and discover what is available, rather than simply following waypoint to waypoint.

As for the game itself: it's more Hitman. The levels are daunting at first but, like in the previous one, once you learn them, they become your playground. But again, the way the game constantly nudges you into following a Mission Story is kind of a detriment to the experience, IMO.

BibiMaghoo

The Opportunities/Mission Stories in this one seem more.. linear and braindead than they were in the previous game. I highly recommend turning them off for initial runs through a mission so that you can actually learn the level and discover what is available, rather than simply following waypoint to waypoint.

As for the game itself: it's more Hitman. The levels are daunting at first but, like in the previous one, once you learn them, they become your playground. But again, the way the game constantly nudges you into following a Mission Story is kind of a detriment to the experience, IMO.

I feel like the story missions were done like that as tutorials for the map. You can follow them around and maybe kill each target twice and unlock some mastery, but each level after the first contains many options that cannot be tracked at all and are just as in depth, for example in Miami, the chili shot challenge. No waypoints and just as many steps. There is enough going on to introduce a player to a level with those waypoints if they want them while still leaving plenty to find.

I feel like the story missions were done like that as tutorials for the map. You can follow them around and maybe kill each target twice and unlock some mastery, but each level after the first contains many options that cannot be tracked at all and are just as in depth, for example in Miami, the chili shot challenge. No waypoints and just as many steps. There is enough going on to introduce a player to a level with those waypoints if they want them while still leaving plenty to find.
The reason I say it's a detriment to the experience is because I've already seen a (very popular) streamer simply follow the Mission Stories and call it a day. If I remember correctly, the Opportunities in Season 1 at the very least made you look for the tools you need; in Season 2, every step of the way is waypointed (example: if you need an Emetic Poison, it'll point directly to one). Again, I don't feel like it gives you the opportunity nor incentive to really learn a map.
That's why I recommend turning them off, at least for the initial run.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
The reason I say it's a detriment to the experience is because I've already seen a (very popular) streamer simply follow the Mission Stories and call it a day. If I remember correctly, the Opportunities in Season 1 at the very least made you look for the tools you need; in Season 2, every step of the way is waypointed (example: if you need an Emetic Poison, it'll point directly to one). Again, I don't feel like it gives you the opportunity nor incentive to really learn a map.
That's why I recommend turning them off, at least for the initial run.
That's for the better as far as IOI is concerned, better for casual players to achieve something cool before putting the controller down than for them to roam around the map, die a couple of times and get nowhere.

That's for the better as far as IOI is concerned, better for casual players to achieve something cool before putting the controller down than for them to roam around the map, die a couple of times and get nowhere.
The last time IOI catered to the casual crowd, we got Hitman Absolution. :p

But seriously, I get it. I simply don't think it needs to be waypointed EVERY STEP of the way. Give some incentive to explore.

BibiMaghoo

If I remember correctly, the Opportunities in Season 1 at the very least made you look for the tools you need; in Season 2, every step of the way is waypointed

This is true, and occasionally in the first game this caused a setup to fail because you didn't have a tool you needed which is not ideal. I'm glad they made the markers more specific, but I get why people wouldn't want them. As you say you can just turn them off, but I think they have a place in the game for many players.

Ozrimandias

After Blood Money, they made Kane and Lynch followed by Mini Ninjas and another Kane and Lynch. I'd imagine they are grateful they still can make Hitman at all.

Kane & Lynch was not that bad, got very bad press but had good concepts (solo gameplay with team management) superb soundtrack by Jesper Kyd, really good moments, like going rappel to kill the seven in retomoto tower, among other things.

Kadayi

Banned
This is true, and occasionally in the first game this caused a setup to fail because you didn't have a tool you needed which is not ideal. I'm glad they made the markers more specific, but I get why people wouldn't want them. As you say you can just turn them off, but I think they have a place in the game for many players.

Not gotten into the game yet but I have heard people advising to turn the opportunities off for the initial play and only turning them back for the replay. Would you concur with that?

BibiMaghoo

Kane & Lynch was not that bad, got very bad press but had good concepts (solo gameplay with team management) superb soundtrack by Jesper Kyd, really good moments, like going rappel to kill the seven in retomoto tower, among other things.

I only played the first one and had a little spin on MN, both were playable games, not bad but not setting the world on fire either. My point was just that of all their games, Hitman is where the money is, and it was not for lack of trying something different.

Not gotten into the game yet but I have heard people advising to turn the opportunities off for the initial play and only turning them back for the replay. Would you concur with that?

Yeah I can understand people doing that, it really depends what you want from the game. If you don't want the hand holding and want to discover everything yourself, turn them off for sure. I just think there is so much going on that they are a useful starting point for a player on an unknown map, so if you are a bit lost and overwhelmed you can follow a few of the stories and learn the map a bit before you go any further blind.

Ozrimandias

I only played the first one and had a little spin on MN, both were playable games, not bad but not setting the world on fire either. My point was just that of all their games, Hitman is where the money is, and it was not for lack of trying something different.

Yup. agree with you, they have tried different things, with discreet success, and they have maintained what has worked for them, changed it when was necesary (like absolution)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Fuuuuuck

kPCZDjo.png

BibiMaghoo

Yup. agree with you, they have tried different things, with discreet success, and they have maintained what has worked for them, changed it when was necesary (like absolution)

I also think Hitman is also better positioned than it ever has been and so it is wise to push it over something new. In the past it had to compete with regular Splinter Cell games, Thief and Metal Gear Solid for stealth fans dollar, and all those games are now gone or buried.

Well that sucks.

bshock

Neo Member

If you don’t want to be directed through the mission stories, absolutely. A lot of the replay value comes from the challenges and unlocking mastery for each stage. Those are not pointed to by the game.

I cannot connect online right now. Is it just me?

Or are they doing maintenance or something. Thier website says nothing.

PS4 version btw.

Edit: Back online now

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Fired this up in order to prep for Sean Bean and damn I'm rusty as hell. Also that goddamn Miami level is enormous . Going to have to do some major recon to get a handle on the level before I undertake that Elusive Target. Still game looks great. I just wish they had a free view camera for screenshots and all.

BibiMaghoo

Pretty big update changes wise.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-game-update-2-11/

Mission Story Consistency
We’ve fixed multiple issues across different Mission Stories in the game, where characters might suspend their routine, required items are unusable, etc.

I've had quite a few issues with this one sadly. On the new levels and the legacy ones. Characters get stuck and either stand where they are forever or repeat a section they cannot finish. Whittleton Creek has been the main offender.

Kadayi

Banned
Starting to get a feel for Miami. Managed to post a respectable 157K silent assassin, though I now know I can do it a lot quicker given there's a lot of access points off of the underground carpark once you grab a security guard uniform. Going to get the level fully sussed and understand the control points before committing to taking out Sean Bean.

Pretty big update changes wise.

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-game-update-2-11/

I've had quite a few issues with this one sadly. On the new levels and the legacy ones. Characters get stuck and either stand where they are forever or repeat a section they cannot finish. Whittleton Creek has been the main offender.

Yeah I had some weirdness on the beach house level where I poisoned the tea and the target having drunk it just walked over a table, through the wall and headed off into the dunes, thankfully I managed to get out in time and shoot her in the back of the head before she exited the map, but it was a tad 'WTF!!' at the time

Ladioss

I got the elusive target but botched the job, ended up shooting my way out of the building. It feels gross, and frustrating.

I'm nearly done with Columbia; I still have SA, SA/SO and The hero of Santa Maria to do.
I just tried a quick 10 minutes run of Mumbai berforehand to see how the city looks like, and I'm really disappointed by the whole "Search for the Maelstrom" detective mechanism : it feels way too much hand-holdy.

So far a goot Hitman, but not necessarily superior to the 2016 one.

I have seen the same problem one or two times, too - characters bugging out of their routine. Nothing really game-breaking so far, but I'm worried.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I got the elusive target but botched the job, ended up shooting my way out of the building. It feels gross, and frustrating..

From bitter experience with season 1, I've learnt not to rush the elusive targets. As long as you don't initiate the hit then, you can restart the mission and figure out a strategy/ approach until you have it sussed. It's only when you do commit to killing them that it's game on. I don't think that IO did a good job of conveying this aspect with them tbh, and many people think it's a case of once you start the mission, you have to carry out the assassination then and there.

Ladioss

From bitter experience with season 1, I've learnt not to rush the elusive targets. As long as you don't initiate the hit then, you can restart the mission and figure out a strategy/ approach until you have it sussed. It's only when you do commit to killing them that it's game on. I don't think that IO did a good job of conveying this aspect with them tbh, and many people think it's a case of once you start the mission, you have to carry out the assassination then and there.

Indeed it changes a lot of things. Thanks for the tip !

I got the elusive target but botched the job, ended up shooting my way out of the building. It feels gross, and frustrating.

I'm nearly done with Columbia; I still have SA, SA/SO and The hero of Santa Maria to do.
I just tried a quick 10 minutes run of Mumbai berforehand to see how the city looks like, and I'm really disappointed by the whole "Search for the Maelstrom" detective mechanism : it feels way too much hand-holdy.

So far a goot Hitman, but not necessarily superior to the 2016 one.

Maelstrom seemed lame the first time I played the map. But on repeat plays he got more interesting. Because you learn his back story stuff. Also he looks different each time you play it which is a cool touch. I think they randomize his clothes at the start of the mission.

Last edited:
Elusive target was going great until I left a door open and got spotted dumping a body....proceeded to murder the entire building and got my target

TFGB

Two questions for those playing this at the moment, regarding the Whittleton Creek level:

1) Has anyone discovered how to destroy the package or is it glitched?

2) After gaining access to the secret safe at the back of the vault in Schmidt’s house, is there any relevance to the Statue, Battleaxe, and/or closed box?

Kadayi

Banned
Managed to get Sean Bean yesterday. Took a few dry runs to suss things out. In large part, the problem came down to getting rid of his bodyguards so I could dispatch him quietly (a couple of dropped weapons in the lab did the trick). I was tempted to actually snipe him because I rarely use it, but in truth, it was too risky a proposition and getting into position, getting the kill and then getting to safety was a concern given the base sniper has no silencer.

Presently working my way through the rest of the Miami challenges. I've completed all the story ones, but it's the more esoteric ones that are proving to be a real issue. One thing I've noticed is that reloading a save does seem to fubar up the race finish in some manner. I was going for the 2 birds 1 one stone challenge of pushing the Father onto the tracks causing Sierra to crash and despite starting as an Engineer in the venue and getting to the third floor in about a minute, reloading a save there would cause the race to prematurely end before Knox had even come to repair the satellite. In the end, I just went 'fuck it we're doing it live' and just ploughed through the whole thing with no safety net. Ultimately patience and figuring out the NPCs routines paid out, coupled with knowing when to run to cover. Still, a lot to explore in it and a nice parallel to Paris in many ways.

Kadayi

Banned
Sadly yes.

Honestly, the game is legit dope, especially if you already own Hitman 1. There's so so much goddamn content in there it beggars belief. You've got an insane number of assassination options, plus feats, challenges, escalations, contracts, sniper challenges and Elusive Targets, plus the environmental storytelling is great. I genuinely enjoy just eavesdropping on some of the conversations many of which feed into the broader scope of the narrative world. I'm really digging into getting a lot of the challenges out of the way and unlocking better equipment at present versus rushing through the game. I think if you're looking for something truly engaging on your own terms over the Christmas break then you should consider picking up a copy. I'm honestly surprised at the lack of media coverage about it tbh.

I'm currently at Little Creek, great game, but feels like a lot more trial and error than the first season. Feels like there is a little bit less leeway to try things out, a lot more trial and error for me.

Also the number of times a bug fucked up a challenge I'm doing is really annoying, like one of the targets being immune to being shocked by the battery, but works on everyone else :/

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Never finished the first game, but I was able to pick up a copy for 6 bucks after using a 20 dollar gift card. Replaying the first game thanks to its legacy level pack. Almost completed all of Paris's challenges and will work my way up the list. Also did Hawke's Ridge, which was pretty enjoyable for what it was.

I tried out the Elusive Target and got glitched out. Spawned and everyone immediately spotted me as soon as the map loaded. Couldn't do anything and now I can't even try it again. Really hate that.

I tried out the Elusive Target and got glitched out. Spawned and everyone immediately spotted me as soon as the map loaded. Couldn't do anything and now I can't even try it again. Really hate that.

Just restart the mission!

You only cannot try it again IF you died or killed the target. If you fucked up on your way to the target, and got spotted you can restart as many times as you like.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Just restart the mission!

You only cannot try it again IF you died or killed the target. If you fucked up on your way to the target, and got spotted you can restart as many times as you like.

I did die. I was a bit shocked by the glitch and wasn't able to quit out in time.

Top Bottom