• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of Playstation 3 (retrospective)

Flakster99

Where has the time gone. For all the shit the PS3 has gotten over the years, it's a solid system with some of the best games I have ever played, which in turn provided some of the most unique experiences I have ever had.

• Heavy Rain
  • Uncharted 2
  • Journey
  • Flower

Can't ever forget these experiences from this gen. ( Personal opinion). These games will remind me of ps3, just like mgs2 etc defined ps2 for me.

Fuck yeah. Replaced God of War 3 with Uncharted 2.

nordique

Good thread, OP

A Personal Side Story, for those interested:
I just recently purchased a PS3 (only to open once my current big examination is done with) as a reward. I'll have some free time, and look forward to getting in some games I have missed over the past several years.

Its actually my third PS3, and a its a 500GB super slim (black, with 1 year PS plus).

I have owned a 40GB fat, and a 120 GB slim in the past, and a 60GB fat (backwards compat)

By fortune, I got both the slim and 40GB PS3s for free, the 60GB I didn't.

I gave the fat ones away to friends (who each at different times were going through some personal hardships) and my slim away to a friend's family in Calgary (who couldn't afford a PS3)

and it felt great. Honestly, the situations were very complex, and when I need to focus on things I have a tendency to sell my systems and re-purchase them a few years later, catch up on the main titles, and redo it. I know not everyone can afford to something like that (and you don't lose $ if you're smart about it), but I have of recent been just giving stuff away rather than selling .... sounds weird but I feel its almost like a karmic thing. Have done similar things with my 3DS, PSP, PS2, Vita, Xbox 360, and Wii in the past (and why I don't own anything but a PS3 and Wii U as current).

Some involved secret santa presents around Xmas time to kids who can't afford them. Some have involved giving them to close family friends, to cope with deaths. And honestly the few hundred dollars doesn't mean much when it helps people cope with greater things or when it really makes a kids Christmas because his family couldn't afford X system(s).

Just wanted to share :) its probably the main reason I never truly gave up gaming no matter how many times I get rid of my stuff.

Anywho,
Last games I played were Uncharted 2 and God of War 3, around the time GoW3 came out

Will catch up on:
- Bayonetta
- Vanquish
- Last of Us
- God of War: A
- Uncharted 3
- Metal Gear Rising

Will enjoy other titles like Tokyo Jungle from PSN and PS plus; this PS3 though I will probably trade it in for a PS4 :)

mr stroke

Great thread.

PS3 really hit it out of the park a few years into the system. Uncharted 2 and MGS4 are two of my favorite games of all time. Both defined the PS3 generation.

I know we're all obligated to hate CoD, but the first Modern Warfare needs a shout out for how much it impacted online multiplayer this generation.

But also fantastic post, good work.

I would love for the IGN PlayStation team to do something like this right before the launch of PS4.

Hey guys,
I've added a video of select PS3 exclusives over the years to the OP.

It took ages to make and I had trouble getting some of the footage in decent quality. I also realized there was no way I could include all major exclusives, this came half way through editing. In the end i just stuck together a varied mix, most in order of release date.

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES

meta4

Hey guys,

It took ages to make and I had trouble getting some of the footage in decent quality. I also realized there was no way I could include all major exclusives, this came half way through editing. In the end i just stuck together a varied mix, most in order of release date.

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES

That was beautiful! Thank you. Its very well done!

LastNac

Hey guys,

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES

I wish UC3 would have gotten a mention.

Mr.Fresh

Damn yo, PS3 was the first system I bought myself. I was 15 years old and I saved up an entire year and bought it November 08 for $399 from Walmart on Black Friday. First games were Resistance, MGS4, GTA 4, DBZ Burst Limit, and Little Big Planet. Had some great times with the system. Can't wait for. PS4 now!

Hey guys,

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES
Kaz would be proud *salute*. Great video.

Drencrom

Hey guys,

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES

That was almost only 06'-09' titles lol, great otherwise

Hey guys,

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES

Now if this was about X-Box exclusives the video would be like 50 seconds long! Am I rite guys?!

sono

Just watched the link in the OP of the Kevin Butler ads. (Its several ads that play in sequence)

Man they were classic.

except for the shorts

• Heavy Rain
  • God of War 3
  • Journey
  • Flower

Can't ever forget these experiences from this gen. ( Personal opinion). These games will remind me of ps3, just like mgs2 etc defined ps2 for me.

I love those four games too. In fact, I bought a PS3 in late '09 pretty much for Uncharted 2, Flower and Heavy Rain (which was still a couple of months away). They all delivered, as did my super cheap copy of LBP which I purchased on a whim.

Sponge

Banned
I got into the PS3 late in 2011 after having a fallout with Microsoft's business practices. I haven't looked back since, and loved both the new and old games I was introduced to.

I picked up the Sly Cooper collection and fell in love with the series. If it wasn't for that I don't think I would have picked up Sly 4, which is without a doubt my favorite Sly game.
5IOZTaS.jpg

InFamous is another game I'm grateful to have tried. The sequel is hands down my favorite game on the PS3.
rH2x6hp.png

I can't not mention Journey, do I have to say anything about this one? Just look at it!
KO6cqC6.png

Thanks to PS1 backwards compatibility, I discovered PaRappa The Rapper and UmJammer Lammy.

Two really simple, but fun games full of style and charm. Here's to hoping one day PaRappa gets his long, overdue comeback in the near future.
Z2HJqRc.png

These are probably my most memorable experiences on the PS3, really hoping the PS4 can knock it out the park for me too.

Thanks to PS1 backwards compatibility, I discovered PaRappa The Rapper and UmJammer Lammy.

Two really simple, but fun games full of style and charm. Here's to hoping one day PaRappa gets his long, overdue comeback in the near future.
Z2HJqRc.png

I think PaRappa could make a really great PSN title. $10-$15 price point, 6-8 songs then more as DLC if you want extra content later down the line.

Twinduct

Sony should have made warhawk a F2P game in the same way as TF2 :/
Ala not P2W. Also costmetic items for pre-ordering games via PSN.
(Granted both the f2p game & the idea of rewarding pre-orders through a system of cosmetic items weren't there when it came out.)

Maybe something like this for Planetside 2? Would be awesome.

Playing Ridge Racer 7 in 1080p and 60 fps made me very happy at launch. And Resistance offered up a fairly long campaign for a fps, plus a pretty robust multiplayer. So those 2 games did me well until Motorstorm came out. I have nothing but find memories of the early days of the PS3.

Ridge Racer 7

Hey guys,

Enjoy.

SELECT PS3 EXCLUSIVES

Wow...great job! Good choice in music too, makes me feel nostalgic,feels like it was yesterday I picked up my PS3.

Chad Warden

The original console wars troll

Years ago when I still flat shared, me and my flat-mate would watch the Chad Warden videos on youtube over and over. They seemed to get funnier with each viewing. Good times.

He really needs to return after tomorrows conference with a new video shot on his ballin' iPhone 5 in HD. That would be a true internet megaton.

Top Bottom