• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of Playstation 3 (retrospective)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They really turned this muthafuckin disaster around. Pretty sure it doesnt pip the PS2 as my fave console of all time, but the sheer amount of A* accumulated games and content comes into the stadium for a running shot at least.

PS3 for me started with the heavenly trio of Uncharted, MGS4(MGO2 mainly), and DMC4.

SkylineRKR

Well done, its exactly how it went with my perception.

Hype, seeing 360 as nothing more than a bridge, wtf reaction at price, delay, downgrades, E3 conference itself... ended up not buying Ps3 until late 2007.

Bumhead

Banned
I remember paying £425 for a launch PS3 and spending the first 6 months playing PES6 (PS2 version) and Resident Evil 2, once I'd realised I didn't like Motorstorm or Resistance.

Bad times.

But the turn around has been admirable. I still think the PS3 is a misstep in many ways compared to the PS2, but it's also my favourite console from this generation at this point. If someone had waited until 2013 to buy a PS3, 360 or Wii, I'd recommend them the PS3 without a seconds hesitation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If someone had waited until 2013 to buy a PS3, 360 or Wii, I'd recommend them the PS3 without a seconds hesitation.
I'm considering buying a PS3 (main reason was the lack of HD television in the house), but I thought I'd wait to see if the PS4 is backwards compatible. I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

Pachimari

I remember I bought my first PS3 some days after launch and payed around $995 for one that had been used for some days. Then some years later I bought a white PS3 model while I were on vacation so that I could play and complete MGS4 right away. Later I sold both and later on bought the PS3 Slim, which I still have.

I'm very impressed by Sony 1st party.

*I played and completed MGS4 on a standard TV, haven't played it since.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Appollowexx said:
YEAR 2 - Bad Ports and Nothing Worth Playing (2007)
Surely you meant YEAR 2- Bad Ports and Super Stardust HD all day every day.

I got mine in late December 2008 with Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, MGS4, LBP, Valkyria Chronicles and MotorStorm.

Hard to believe I was mocking the system for two straight years but it really did manage to pick up and has become my favourite of the three last gen systems.

It's definitely not the PS2 (I mean what is, really?) but the system turned out pretty great in the end.

spats

Bought mine in 2008, on the MGS4 launch day along with GTA4 and of course a copy of MGS4. System still works like brand new, love it.

Kouichi

Warhawk and Littlebigplanet are what pulled me into buying a PS3 in 08. Then Infamous sealed the deal in 09 and I've been in love with my PS3 ever since. I cannot wait for Feb. 20th.

No Demon's Souls mention?

demons2.jpg

I owned a Wii and 360 early on in their life cycle and ignored the PS3 until about 2009 when Quantic Dream's next game was getting hyped beyond belief (was a big fan of Fahrenheit on the Xbox) and Uncharted 2 was dropping everybody's knickers in a flurry of rave reviews. I found my two killer-apps and picked up LBP on the cheap and I haven't looked back since. After paying £40 a year for online gaming on the 360, it was a breath of fresh air to get the same surface for free. The console didn't sound like a vacuum cleaner when I turned it on, the controller didn't require batteries and I had a wireless connection without having to pay £60 for some overpriced adapter (fuck that!). And boy did those exclusives deliver. LittleBigPlanet, which I didn't fancy the look of and purchased solely because of the reviews/price, grew on me like foot fungi. Uncharted 2 was instantaneous love, while Heavy Rain and Yakuza 3 came out a couple of months later and quickly joined the ranks of my favourite games. Not quite as strong an introduction to a console as the triple-whammy of Sonic Adventure, Power Stone and SoulCalibur, but close.

You add in future pro-consumer features like PS+ and Crossbuy, plus a steady stream of excellent exclusives, and it's no contest who the victor of the home console market is this gen, imo. And the best part is there's more to come as well. As excited as I am for what the next gen has to offer, I'm more hyped right now for the likes of The Last of Us, Rain, Beyond, Yakuza 5 and Puppeteer.

OK everyone, as promised the OT has now been updated and completed. It should contain all the main info chronicling the last y years of Playstation.

There are plenty of visual aids and links to videos. The games year by year are the games that I personally liked the most and played the most, there are hundreds of games and I couldn't add everything - hence omissions such as Demons Souls (didn't care for it myself, don't hate me).

Anyway enjoy and discuss - this thread has taken bloody ages so I hope people enjoy it. :)

LuuKyK

Wow, great thread! Well done. Loved looking back to everything that happened. It went by so fast. :/ It was a roller coaster of emotions for Sony, thats for sure.

One of the craziest and most controversial console launches ever...but I've always been happy with my PS3 from day one. Easily the best generation for Sony from a first-party software perspective.

see5harp

Year 1 and 2 weren't bad just because of poor ports and a lack of software. You need to include the glorious update that finally allowed in game XMB.

has it been that long. i got my system december. i was trolling Nintendo's Nsider forum with constant barrages of Ps3 news. i even dedicated a thread about FFXIII on there and even wrote a lengthy post which i regret not saving online somewhere. Software wise no one will ever top Ps2 library but ps3 did get its fair share of quality games. i know i spent a lot of money on ps3 alone this generation (not including pc). i for one welcome the next generation of Playstation gaming and hope Sony brings back what made the ps2 so awesome.

SykoTech

Woah, good stuff. Nice job, Appollowexx.

It sure has been an emotional ride. I still remember my friends and I hating on the PS3 to death after E3 2006 and onward. That one issue of EGM with the tomato thrown on the PS3 as the cover always pops into my head. That and the creepy baby commerical of course. I was gearing up to join the Wii60 movement myself, but then I caught wind of Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. I was expecting Insomniac to ditch R&C let it get ruined by another developer like what happened to Spyro, especially since Resistance already showed that they had moved on to a new IP. Was overjoyed to hear that they were developing a new R&C themselves, and knew that I'd have to get a PS3 now.

Man did this thing do a 180. Here's hoping Sony can deliver another great console with the PS4, but without the absymal start.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
iNAYt6BLzv56g.gif

Man, this brings back memories. I remember first playing my console on an 18" CRT screen in my dorm room, and here I am 5 years later playing it on a 50" plasma HDTV in my very own apartment. This console has really been with me through thick and thin, I love it so much.

It also gave me Uncharted 2, easily my favorite game of all time. Keep it up Sony, I'm looking forward to your reveal on the 20th.

Ah, the 'good old days' of "Wait for ... to save the PS3". Should have that old chalkboard pic in the OP. Sure turned into a good system over time, though, didn't it?

Oh, and yeah, Demon's Souls. 2nd best game of the gen (after Dark, of course). Can't leave that out.

Derrick01

Banned
The system really did come a long way. It feels like the time that I barely used it at all because there was nothing on it that wasn't on 360 and likely superior there too was a lifetime ago. Now there's literally dozens of quality exclusives on the system and more coming.

Ein Bear

Awesome OT.

It's crazy to think how terribly the PS3 started out, only to go on to be my favourite console ever. I bought one in 2009 and haven't looked back since.

mingus

Is it worth mentioning the availability at launch and the severe price gouging on craigslist/eBay? I've noticed that people tried to do the same for Wii U last year but there wasn't an issue of stock (at least where I am) and the scalping didn't nearly go as high as twice the price that ps3 went.

Is it worth mentioning the availability at launch and the severe price gouging on craigslist/eBay? I've noticed that people tried to do the same for Wii U last year but there wasn't an issue of stock (at least where I am) and the scalping didn't nearly go as high as twice the price that ps3 went.

I've had to edit things as they are just to get everything in one post. I'm not sure if this can be added to the OP now, it's hard to know what to include and what not to include. Maybe less games stuff and more general history?

Thanks for the thread love everyone! I too have had a PS3 since launch, and so I've been through the best and worst moments, like many others posting here.

So many memories.

I was a big PS1/PS2 fan but I knew that based on the reaction to the price that the PS3 was going to have problems.

Got in a good number of debates on the official playstation forum from people who said that it would do well just because it was playstation. I got banned from the forums after disagreeing that the PS3 would have the same impact on the entertainment industry as the television. People actually agreed with a silly article that stated it. I disagreed, gave points as to why, and then got banned.

It was the strangest thing. The mods hated me I guess (lol).

Well, that's not fair. I remember people were total Playstation fanboys in the begening of this gen when the Playstation name was so strong. I kinda hated the Playstation fans at that time because they were so delusional, no matter how hard you tried to convince them that this or that game looked tons better on 360 or how online with party chat was better, PS3 was still winning... The most fun was seeing Final Fantasy 13 going to 360, the meltdowns... it was fun to watch !

But i can't believe how Sony screwed up. They were a supreme force in the videogame industry and look where they are now, fighting for 3rd place. They made so many things that were questionable... the Sony of the 90's is long gone now.

Also, Microsoft played their cards so right this gen, many people may not agree with their practices but you can't deny how good they are now, making strategic moves that matter. They are the industry leader and now everyone is playing follow the leader... They're the firsts to actually make online gaming on consoles big, achievements, party chat, gamer score... all now copied by the competition.

Top Bottom