• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

History of Playstation 3 (retrospective)

Anyone have a link to the original KZ2 (real game) reveal thread, ideally the page it all starts from. I seem to remember it kicking off with this leaked image lol.

Killzone2_screenshot_11.jpg

Here's the epic Killzone 2 E3 2007 reveal thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170302&page=43

Such an exciting thread, lol.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good post man, but you should definitely mention PS+ somewhere.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't see the gripe about the price. I know they went overboard with the two jobs analogy and it reeked of arrogance, but perspective is needed here.

HD was just coming into its infancy. I was still gaming on my SD monitor. Sony put this fancy high tech crap in there and MS did not have these things. Space limitations, lack of WiFi, small HDD, not many ports, couldn't buy your own HDD, controllers needed batteries, etc etc etc.

I jumped into 360 later on and I have to admit the PS3 spoiled me because during set up I kept thinking wtf my ps3 has this or that.

On top of that, you get free online multiplayer gaming, which MS charges you for. You had BC with PSOne and some PS2 games before they took it out. You could install Linux on it. You had DLNA. You had an optical out and an HDMI out.

The PS3 was good value for what you were getting at the time. How much were Bluray players at the time of first release? Weren't they already like 299 and up AND you couldn't upgrade some of them?

I didn't think of it as just a gaming system, it was a premium price for the first step into HD AS WELL AS a gaming system. If you wanted games only, then you would go Nintendo. Even after all these years, the PS3 is still the only one with bluray playback and it's comparable to price to the Xbox.

On top of all this, some people reported problems on their PS3, the YLOD, but I believe the 360 crowd outdid us with stories of people getting 3 or 4 360s before sorting their problem out when there was a clear design flaw in the console. I haven't heard of any 360 problems recently, but again, perspective as my white Jpn launch PS 3 is STILL going strong after 8 fucking years.

I don't play it as much as I used to since I vastly prefer PC nowadays, but the exclusives cater to my tastes more than 360 exclusives as well.

Example was last e3 where MS showed a bunch of fucking shooters.

LBP
Uncharted
GT
GoW
MGS4
PJ Monsters
Journey
DS
Wipeout
The superior version of Burnout
The better RR
Ni no kuni
VC
are all fantastic and I loved the HD remakes as well.

What exclusives did I miss on MS worth playing? Halo? Shooter. Gears? Shooter. ME? Released on PS3. AW? Fable? Sucked, BUT I got the better version on PC, which I could say for practically most other MS exclusives.

On top of that PS+ gave you free games while subscribed. Free full games. Who the fuck does that? You pay for online gaming for MS and you get discounts, but you got free games with plus!

It took a LONG ass time to start the piracy scene up as well, and you figure people forced to pay for 3rd party games had a ton of pirates on 360.

It wasn't all sunshine and happiness though. PS3 ports sucked. I believe most devs simply refused to put in the effort to optimize for the PS3. Skyrim, Bayonetta, AC, Dragon's Dogma were the glaring examples. I bought into the Move hype and Sony basically dropped the ball on this. I don't think there are any further games worth getting coming out and FUCK that Wonderbook bullshit.

Bluray doesn't mean as much now since online content came about. I would MUCH rather stream than put a BR in and watch.

The PS Store is a piece of shit. It looks ugly and runs slow and I can't find what I want and it updates so late.

Sony got hacked and personal info got leaked.

They removed BC and Linux, which was bullshit. And now there is piracy as well though games can be prohibitively huge.

The Lamp

Bluray doesn't mean as much now since online content came about. I would MUCH rather stream than put a BR in and watch.

Maybe to you, but BR is still the best quality with which I can watch a movie at home right now.

scsa

• Heavy Rain
  • God of War 3
  • Journey
  • Flower

Can't ever forget these experiences from this gen. ( Personal opinion). These games will remind me of ps3, just like mgs2 etc defined ps2 for me.

YEAR 7 - SUPER SLIM, NOT SO SEXY: 2012

In October 2012 Sony launched a PS3 Super Slim model for a RRP of $199.99. Finally the system has become very affordable for late buyers. However, many, myself included, regard the design as far less visually pleasing than past iterations. Still, it's a decent price and it wasn't exactly hideous.

d77579b7a5e573fe30442797b9f8679a.jpg

umm, what? The lowest priced console is still $270. They technically raised the price by $20 with the super slim release, although it was a better value.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe to you, but BR is still the best quality with which I can watch a movie at home right now.
I buy the occasional BR, my wife thinks the images are too detailed and sharp............

I just prefer streaming my digital copies via the media server.

Awesome OP, PS3 had and still continues a great run indeed :D

P.S. Baby commercial is one of my all-time favorites. Play B3yond campaign was very cool.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I buy the occasional BR, my wife thinks the images are too detailed and sharp............

Lol...Reminds me off friends who asks me why I needed to watch off Blu-ray (or DVDs when they first came) when what we had was enough....... The same friend who asks me to just play my PS3 on my SD TV because there is no difference and its just me being picky....

Balb

Nothing symbolizes the early PS3 days for me more than Chad Warden. Possibly the greatest troll of all time.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think the meltdown from the DMC4 being multiplatform deserves a mention too. It was at the lowest point of the PS3, it was one of the earliest major PS franchises that became multiplatform. and the PS3 fans were calling for a boycott of the game.

hatmoza

How are your video editing skills? You should definitely consider making a short film documentary on this.

Great read. I feel like playing Heavenly Sword again after all these years.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think the meltdown from the DMC4 being multiplatform deserves a mention too. It was at the lowest point of the PS3, it was one of the earliest major PS franchises that became multiplatform. and the PS3 fans were calling for a boycott of the game.

Tekken going multiplatform was pretty big too for fighting game players.

Alx

Tekken going multiplatform was pretty big too for fighting game players.

Virtua Fighter too, especially since it was one of the expected "saviors" of the PS3, and came with the added (and much discussed) online mode.

antispin

This gen's been quite the ride! Got the 360 first, then the Wii and only recently bought the PS3. But I did play some of my favourites on the console: Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Uncharted(s), R&C(s), Valkyrie Chronicles. Didn't like the shooters so much -- both Resistance and Killzone bored me.

I appreciate the console's transition from start of gen to now -- the PS3 has come a long way, ditto its services (PS+ rocks). Both the 360 and the Wii went the other way for me. Next gen for me will probably start with the PS4. Probably.

- J - D -

Great op, op. Launch month PS3 still works to this day without issue, so based solely on its sturdiness, it may be my favorite console of the last generation.

B.O.O.M

Fantastic thread/read. Thanks for making this

I am much more optimistic about the PS4 launch years (software wise) than the ps3. Sony did a great job building a real strong first party dev team this generation. Results should really start showing with the PS4..hopefully

Alastor

Bought a fatty in 2008 for DMC4. Lasted two years and three months. After that, I went back to PS2 and PC gaming. Planning to buy the second one, as the pile of unplayed exclusives grows bigger and bigger.

Great op, op. Launch month PS3 still works to this day without issue

Man, that's like winning a lottery!

olimpia84

I got mine in 2009 so I skipped the early shitty years and was welcomed with awesomeness. PS3 rocks and I'll be really sad when they confirm that the PS4 won't be BC with PS3 games.

Servbot24

Banned
I bought the 120GB Slim SKU in 2010, Resident Evil 5 was my first game because I had loved RE4 so much. Bit of a disappointment but I finished it quickly and moved on to MGS4 which was absolutely incredible. Love the console. Since I'm a late adapter to this gen I'll probably be fine waiting a year or two before moving on to the new one, still a lot of games to catch up on.

Bgamer90

Banned
Virtua Fighter too, especially since it was one of the expected "saviors" of the PS3, and came with the added (and much discussed) online mode.

Yeah definitely. Forgot all about that (even though I played VF4: Evo on my PS2 & have VF5 on my 360).

tsab

Man I remember Sony messing everything up with their launch.
  1. Giant enemy crabs
  2. 1 SKU, 600€ (660€ here) in Europe with software emulation PS2 BC with worse compatibility
  3. No rumble - stating rumble is last gen.
  4. cut down ports (ethernet/usb etc)
  5. No simultaneous launch as promised
  6. Fake trailers
  7. Shoddy ports.

We got a PS3 60GB PAL though in 2007, broke down after a year, the retailer replaced it for us with a new one instead of paying sony 300€+ for a refurbished motherboard!

Well I got lost on youtube because of this thread.. brings back some good memories. Also I'm still impressed with the original MotorStorm.. my favorite of the series.

This brings a tear to my eye. My BC PS3 model got the YLOD like 2 months ago. Waiting till the 20th so I can decide whether or not I will buy a new one.

6 years of love and dedication. <3

Endo Punk

Man PS3 started off so badly. It almost killed the brand for me. Shit like Heavenly Sword was utterly terrible, having played God of War II prior to it made it all the more awful in comparison. Kojima really saved the system in my eyes. MGS4 was truly an exceptional title and Valkyria Chronicles cemented my purchase. Course a year later Sony really came unto its own with stellar first party titles. Funny, they ignored 3rd party exclusives when it was intrummental to its success.

Mogwai

Nice thread!

I'm still sad that Motorstorm franchise never got as good as I wanted it to be. It got the graphics, artstyle and the cool vehicles. But something about the steering that just didn't click with me.

DieH@rd

Banned
Anyone have a link to the original KZ2 (real game) reveal thread, ideally the page it all starts from. I seem to remember it kicking off with this leaked image lol.

Killzone2_screenshot_11.jpg

Oh man, when that picture came out [lowres version from some newspaper [Times?]].... it broke the fucking internet. That was without a doubt my best time here on GAF.

Darvan

To the OP don't know if anyone posted it.

2 SKUs 20GB and 80GB. Both BC with PS1 and PS2.

It should be 20GB and 60GB

Neifirst

Got my PS3 in March 2007 for Virtua Fighter 5 and Motorstorm, and never once regretted my purchase - even at $599. 2007-early 2010 were great times to be a PS3 owner with two Ratchet & Clank Future, two Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, God of War III, Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Burnout Paradise, Fallout 3, and so on. My enthusiasm wore off just a bit beginning in mid-2010 as a lot of releases were third iterations of basically the same game, so I hope this new generation brings us some fantastic new franchises in addition to the inevitable sequels.

Fun fact they ONLY month in the PS3 lifespan that it outsold the Wii and the xbox360 for USA NPD was June 2008 when people purchased MGS4 + a ps3.

[edit] oops it was 2008 sorry about that

daveo42

Banned
Picked my Fatty PS3 40GB in Spring of 2008 in preparation for MGS4. Still upset I wasn't able to fine a BC one.

Glad I did pick one up. GTAIV, MGS4, Uncharted, and KZ2 were fantastic. I may yet got launch PS4 like I did with my PS2.

Feature

Banned
I think we can all agree that after all these years, the PS3 has established itself as the number 1 go-to console just like the PS2 and PSX were. Based on the PS4 and durango specs next gen will be the same, only it will be this way from the start.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
No mention of Trophy System being implemented... For shame ; ;

Got mine December 15th, 2006, with Resistance FOM, Glorious times!

PnCIa

Totally forgott about Chad Warden...this guy was amazing. XBox 360...XBox circle...we ain't doin' geometry and shit! :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
81yfkoc.jpg

People need to stop recycling this joke for the new generation. It's time for some new jokes. Unless you're being meta and saying the Vita is just PS3 ports including the gags.

For that reason I'm kind of hoping for an E3 2006 pt 2.

Top Bottom