• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High PC prices: Do you plan on buying games for consoles that otherwise you would not?

TheAssist

So usually I am at a point were I really need to upgrade my PC. Early last year I bought a 4K Monitor and wanted to buy a new GPU shortly after. However the RTX 20xx series didnt seem to be the kind of upgrade I was looking for from my GTX 1070, so I wanted to wait for the 30xx series.
Fast forward a few month and one crisis is following the next resulting in ludicrous pricing among most hardware components. Usually I spend about 400 bucks the GPU, which would give you a good high midrange card (like the 70 series from team green, or the 700/800 series from AMD). These days all you get is a used lower midrange card from last generation, meaning 400 bucks in 2021 gives me about the same gpu power I already have with my card from 2018.

Luckily I got a PS5 on launch day for 400 Euros and it served me well the past few months. Its fast, its silent, its efficient and heck its 400 bucks.

Now with BF 2042 on the Horizon the itch to buy a new PC was increasing several fold again I configured some specs. Mind you, I do want the system to be somewhat future proof and upgradable (though thats a bit hard with AMD probably swapping sockets, but different story). But that means no cheap components that just need to be replaced with the next upgrade to keep up.

So I tried and tried and tried but as soon as the GPU is added (around the 3070 range) the price goes up to about 2200€. And no there is no RGB or watercooling or any of that bs in the system. Maybe you could drop it by another hundred with a cheaper cooler or smaller/cheaper SSD, but again, I want it to be somewhat future proof.

Its not that I cant afford this, but I just dont want to. The system is simply not worth that amount of money. If it had a 3080ti in it, maybe, but not with a 3070 (non ti because of the spike in energy consumption without a decent increase in power).

At any rate, I am now looking at how well mouse and keyboard works on a PS5 and it seems to be quite decent. I guess I'll just play Battlefield on PS5. And honestly, I never thought the day would come, when I play an fps on a console. But here we are. Crazy times.

Are current PC component prices making you reconsider where to play certain games? Is it actively hindering you from upgrading or playing certain games you would like to play on PC?

Kupfer

Are current PC component prices making you reconsider where to play certain games? Is it actively hindering you from upgrading or playing certain games you would like to play on PC?
i7 3770
16gb DDR3
GTX 1070ti
1440p 144hz monitor

vs

PS5
4K LG OLED CX

PS5 just delivers more satisfying performance than my computer with a 9 year old CPU & RAM. In the last few years I also realized, how less fun I have playing competitive online games like Counter Strike, Call of Duty, DayZ, Squad, since there is no sense of a real community anymore and therefore no respect and last but not least a lot of scriptkiddies. I don't have to mention, that I don't like playing competitive games on the PS5 either; I feel like I can't become one with the controller, as I did become one with my M&K in my best Counter Strike years. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Anyway, as I said, I don't like to play competitive multiplayer games anymore, but I'd much rather play good story driven games. And if I have the choice between a game on my shitty PC or my PS5, I'd always choose the PS5 version.
Like TheAssist TheAssist said, it's not that I couldn't afford a way better computer, but it's not worth it anymore, at least for me.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Just upgraded from having a dual core and GTS 450 for the last decade or so to an I5 and a R7 370, so considering how few games that are worth playing which are really demanding, I should be good for a while now. Last console I owned was PS3 and I think I'm done with those unless something really changes in the future.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Windows keeps me away more from pc gaming than anything else. I have a pc that does nothing but gaming. No chrome, no office … only gaming. Constant updates that’s break windows is a pain in the ass. Just this month for some reason my gaming pc will not come out of monitor sleep. The pc is set to never sleep. But some reason every day I have to do a hard reboot. 🤷‍♂️

Braag

Nah, I'm still happy with my 2080TI. If It suddenly died or something I guess I would either take a break from gaming or bite the bullet and pay 1500€ ish for a 3080TI (that's the lowest price for a new one I've found here).
I bought a PS4 Pro last gen which I barely played as I just like PC gaming way more so I know if I bought a new console it would only gather dust. Though PS5's are kinda like RTX 3080's, impossible to find here.

TheAssist

So you just buy expensive upgrades, or you dont play demanding games? Would be cool to know :)

Honestly I am looking forward to all this crap steeling down in 2 or 3 years time. Its not like I want to abandon PC gaming. I still love with and often prefer it over console gaming. But right now consoles are in a good spot when it comes to price to performance. I can hardly remember the last time consoles had the power of a decent midrange PC, let alone a time where this PC could easily cost you 3 or 4 times as much as the console.

It helps that Sony offers the kind of games I enjoy the most these days, but I do like me some casual "competitive" multiplayer games like BF or CoH 3 which just released an open alpha last week and runs like dogshit on my PC.

Mouse and Keyboard on a console really opens up a lot of possibilities. Its sad that Sony killed the web browser on the PS5, really hinders its capabilities as a short term desktop replacement. Even on trips or something similar. Wonder if there is going to be a work around for that some day.

Hinedorf

Banned
There is no PC shortage, it's called if you have money you can get what you want. Will there be delays? Maybe. If you have money doors open for you.

Is this an argument on being poor because there's literally no PC shortage if you want to buy shit, go to any third party PC maker, go through their list and buy ALL THE PARTS YOU WANT, will they be a wait, yes.....money talks.....

The people crying about shortages are people looking to fleece others, if you want a brand new PC, it just takes money.

Mister Wolf

There is no PC shortage, it's called if you have money you can get what you want. Will there be delays? Maybe. If you have money doors open for you.

Is this an argument on being poor because there's literally no PC shortage if you want to buy shit, go to any third party PC maker, go through their list and buy ALL THE PARTS YOU WANT, will they be a wait, yes.....money talks.....

The people crying about shortages are people looking to fleece others, if you want a brand new PC, it just takes money.

Gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

Ellery

I think the price and being held back is also holding me back. It seems kind of stupid to buy a graphics card twice as expensive as a console to have some games use old technology while the weaker consoles get modern tech? Then there is also the problem of having a great 4K HDR TV, but only a 27'' 144hz IPS1440p monitor. A good 32'' Monitor with HDR OLED 4K G-Sync 144hz and all that would be around 3000-6000$ or so. That is a lot of money compared to my TV.

So right now I also wouldn't know what to buy a good graphics card or PC stuff for. I played RDR2 on PS4, I played Control and Metro Exodus with RTX when those games came out and there seems to be no good looking PC games on the horizon (no pun intended).

Eventually I will buy a new Graphics Card and will buy third party games for PC again and play them, but gamingwise on the PC side it seems pretty bland atm and it is always frustrating when u buy a nearly 1000$ RTX 3080 and a PS4 exclusive game running on 1.8 TF looks better.

Also I find Console/TV/Couch gaming to be more immersive. I often find myself tabbing out of PC games or doing other stuff whilst gaming.

i7 3770
16gb DDR3
GTX 1070ti
1440p 144hz monitor

vs

PS5
4K LG OLED CX

PS5 just delivers more satisfying performance than my computer with a 9 year old CPU & RAM. In the last few years I also realized, how less fun I have playing competitive online games like Counter Strike, Call of Duty, DayZ, Squad, since there is no sense of a real community anymore and therefore no respect and last but not least a lot of scriptkiddies. I don't have to mention, that I don't like playing competitive games on the PS5 either; I feel like I can't become one with the controller, as I did become one with my M&K in my best Counter Strike years. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Anyway, as I said, I don't like to play competitive multiplayer games anymore, but I'd much rather play good story driven games. And if I have the choice between a game on my shitty PC or my PS5, I'd always choose the PS5 version.
Like TheAssist TheAssist said, it's not that I couldn't afford a way better computer, but it's not worth it anymore, at least for me.
Same here, dropped PC for console because I no longer play multiplayer games. Multiplayer shooters are much better with K&M and super high framerate, but since consoles provide high resolution and good fps 1440p 60fps and I have not interest in multiplayer I won't spend that much on PC. Unless I decided to play BF2042.

I think the price and being held back is also holding me back. It seems kind of stupid to buy a graphics card twice as expensive as a console to have some games use old technology while the weaker consoles get modern tech? Then there is also the problem of having a great 4K HDR TV, but only a 27'' 144hz IPS1440p monitor. A good 32'' Monitor with HDR OLED 4K G-Sync 144hz and all that would be around 3000-6000$ or so. That is a lot of money compared to my TV.

So right now I also wouldn't know what to buy a good graphics card or PC stuff for. I played RDR2 on PS4, I played Control and Metro Exodus with RTX when those games came out and there seems to be no good looking PC games on the horizon (no pun intended).

Eventually I will buy a new Graphics Card and will buy third party games for PC again and play them, but gamingwise on the PC side it seems pretty bland atm and it is always frustrating when u buy a nearly 1000$ RTX 3080 and a PS4 exclusive game running on 1.8 TF looks better.

Also I find Console/TV/Couch gaming to be more immersive. I often find myself tabbing out of PC games or doing other stuff whilst gaming.
By the time you decide to buy a new card, the pro consoles might release and you re think it again 😂

lmimmfn

No, i prefer free online and avoiding 70euro games, besides have 1000s of pc games already(and getting larger), no interest in starting back at 0.

Ill pickup a ps5 when theyre cheap and upgrade my 1080Ti when cards are close to msrp again.

Hezekiah

Banned
I have a 1070ti which needs replacing, but ultimately I just dont want to play BF 2042 on console. Much better with mouse + keyboard obviously, but also if I'm playing multiplayer I want to be up close to the screen, and the wider FoV available on by my ultrawide just means I get less battered than I would without it.

I'm willing to wait for GPU prices to properly normalise though as I have other stuff to play like RDR single and multiplayer, AC Valhalla, and BF 1 and 5.

HTK

Banned
I feel like if you're not a competitive gamer there is no reason to shell out the kind of money you need for a PC.

Get a PS5/Series X and an OLED TV and enjoy yourself man.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have both options and pending it has cross play it will always be PC. I have a friend who wants to play Rocket League tonight and told him it feels better on my PC 4k120 vs what it runs on PS5. Even if performance is improved I have to be rational.

If its cheaper and I don't own it there's little argument.

But performance and how it feels to me is paramount.

Ney. There's whole genres that are borderline unplayable with gamepad, at least for me, so playing exclusively on consoles is not an option. Also I do understand that there are millions of gamers that don't care, but theres also some who simply can't play multiplats at low settings when they know theres an option to get full experience.

How is the PS5 overpriced? (if paying retail for it)

Bang for your buck I would say. Getting/upgrading a PC has gotten more expensive recently.
Games are absurdly over priced on consoles. You’ll offset the cost of the PC on games alone. Console games are only getting more expensive as well, the PC, even at these prices, offers a great value proposition aside from the exclusives

dDoc

Fair point on game prices, however one can also get them cheaper further down the line. PC players, me included, buy most games when on sale or months down the line.

In regard to hardware, PS5 offers great value for money compared to PC component prices currently.

There's also an increasing problem with kiddies using cheats on consoles that are getting unbearably out of hand, but unlike on PC, where these little pricks getting banned left right and center, they can simply cheat for as long as they wish on consoles and absolutely noone does anything. So if you like to play online without cheaters - your only option is PC private servers. The main issue why theres so many of them is game publishers and their stupidly lax policies, if it was up to me, you get any ban in any online game = you're getting automatically banned from every single online games for life no matter if you never used any scripts in that game.

It can be really enjoyable to see little dumbos getting swatted though:

Celcius

°Temp. member
how does their queue work? just setup for auto notify?

Cant believe these things are still hard to get
Yep exactly. Although if you haven’t already signed up then there’s not a good chance of getting a card this year.

Money for PC is going for a backup generator this year.
It will probable be easier and less expensive to find, install and get working than a full on PC.

Graciaus

I spend most of my time playing JRPGs, indies and reading visual novels. Not being able to upgrade sucks but isn't the end of the world for what I do. Not buying a console.

TheAssist

Games are absurdly over priced on consoles. You’ll offset the cost of the PC on games alone. Console games are only getting more expensive as well, the PC, even at these prices, offers a great value proposition aside from the exclusives
Lets say I payed the 2200 Euros for a PC. And get each game 30 euros cheaper than on the 400 euro PS5. I had to buy 60(!) games to make up the difference. That would take me well over a decade, probably more like 2 decades. Meaning I'd have to upgrade or rebuy a new PC several times over.

Right now, the "PC games are cheaper" argument doesnt work, because PC's are so expansive in comparison that you will never make up the difference. Gets even worse when you consider subscription services, that are usually the same cost on both platforms.

Kupfer

That is, at least where I live, a fallacy. However, this argument is often heard, which may be due to the fact that people now buy their PC games in keystores, which are often dubious to criminal and also work past the taxes. If I now want to buy a game legally, or clean way and just look at the Steamstore, I can buy Days Gone and RDR2 for 40€ each. Both games I can get as physical disc in retail for the console for 20€-22€ each.

Jedi Fallen Order Steam - 40€ Console physical - 25€ - 30€

Hunt Showdown Steam 40€ Console physical - 20€

I bought RE8, new PS5 version for 50€ a month after release. It's still 60€ in Steam.

and so on.
PSN Sales not included.

Of course, if you need every game at release time and then also bought a digital-only console, you're screwed. But you knew beforehand what you are getting into. But to say per se that PC games are cheaper than console games is nonsense, especially when you talk about keystores. Then you could also say that stolen goods are cheaper than buying them in stores - come on people, buy your games from thieves who break open trucks to offer you a good price .

Last edited:

lmimmfn

That is, at least where I live, a fallacy. However, this argument is often heard, which may be due to the fact that people now buy their PC games in keystores, which are often dubious to criminal and also work past the taxes. If I now want to buy a game legally, or clean way and just look at the Steamstore, I can buy Days Gone and RDR2 for 40€ each. Both games I can get as physical disc in retail for the console for 20€-22€ each.

Jedi Fallen Order Steam - 40€ Console physical - 25€ - 30€

Hunt Showdown Steam 40€ Console physical - 20€

I bought RE8, new PS5 version for 50€ a month after release. It's still 60€ in Steam.

and so on.
PSN Sales not included.

Of course, if you need every game at release time and then also bought a digital-only console, you're screwed. But you knew beforehand what you are getting into. But to say per se that PC games are cheaper than console games is nonsense, especially when you talk about keystores. Then you could also say that stolen goods are cheaper than buying them in stores - come on people, buy your games from thieves who break open trucks to offer you a good price .
Who buys directly on steam?

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I've been wanting to upgrade but then I realize there's not much PC games I want to play these days. Age of Empires IV is the only title I'm looking forward to, and I'm sure my current setup can handle thet just fine.

I do have a huge PS4 and Switch backlog tho so I'm keeping busy with that.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Who buys directly on steam?
Thanks - That's exactly what I was talking about. PC gamers mostly have the attitude to buy the key as cheap as possible somewhere. Where it comes from, who profits from it and who doesn't, if you even evade taxes using VPN etc. moves into the background. That does not fit together for me - on the one hand people spend hundreds, thousands of € for hardware, but on the other hand not be willing to spend the some more €uro for a game to acquire the game "legitimately".
When did this become normal?
Speaking for myself and answering your question, me. I'm buying directly on Steam. If only to be able to make use of the right of return.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Anyone who wants the option to refund does.
Humble Store allows refunds and e.g. above Jedi Fallen Order is 20Euro on PC there vs 40Euro on Steam.

I've never had to refund thankfully, I wait for release, multiple reviews and feedback, if a game has issues on PC i wait until patched before purchasing(usually cheaper again then). With 16 years using steam its not like i'm short of things to play.

Haggard

Banned
I´d rather wait and not buy games than losing the mouse and keyboard option on top of having to compromise on performance.
Just not a big fan of console limitations if they`re not absolutely unavoidable (exclusive games).
Luckily I just upgraded before the whole craziness started.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Thanks - That's exactly what I was talking about. PC gamers mostly have the attitude to buy the key as cheap as possible somewhere. Where it comes from, who profits from it and who doesn't, if you even evade taxes using VPN etc. moves into the background. That does not fit together for me - on the one hand people spend hundreds, thousands of € for hardware, but on the other hand not be willing to spend the some more €uro for a game to acquire the game "legitimately".
When did this become normal?
Speaking for myself and answering your question, me. I'm buying directly on Steam. If only to be able to make use of the right of return.

I really do not believe most PC gamers go to the extent you are talking about to save a few bucks on games. Evading taxes using VPN? I'm sure some people do that, but the vast majority I'd say no. I think most PC gamers buy completely legitimate Steam keys from resellers. Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle, and other stores are completely legit. Stores G2A and CD keys have questionable reputations, but a lot of folks avoid those stores because they see it as risky. Either way, I think these practices are outliers and the more common buy from reputable sources.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sure I will play all my shooters, RTS's and WoW clones on consoles because the gameplay there is the same quality on dual stick controllers as on M+kb. Also same low input lag, 21:9, freedom of resolution, framerate and mods...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I use the same 48" lg oled c1 for my pc and ps5 on my desk. Great for both and better than any monitors at this price.... lke 1000x times better.
Ps5 is so much cheaper than even gpu alone on pc... and exclusives aside, prots on ps5 and xbox are great now.

drotahorror

Intel, AMD, and Nvidia have been lying about the shortages all along! This idiot definitely knows what's up.

Top Bottom