• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High PC prices: Do you plan on buying games for consoles that otherwise you would not?

There is no PC shortage, it's called if you have money you can get what you want. Will there be delays? Maybe. If you have money doors open for you.

Is this an argument on being poor because there's literally no PC shortage if you want to buy shit, go to any third party PC maker, go through their list and buy ALL THE PARTS YOU WANT, will they be a wait, yes.....money talks.....

The people crying about shortages are people looking to fleece others, if you want a brand new PC, it just takes money.
Cards were selling for 3-4x MSRP for a while. Something must have driven those prices up. If it wasn't a shortage, then what was it?

Brofist

Thanks - That's exactly what I was talking about. PC gamers mostly have the attitude to buy the key as cheap as possible somewhere. Where it comes from, who profits from it and who doesn't, if you even evade taxes using VPN etc. moves into the background. That does not fit together for me - on the one hand people spend hundreds, thousands of € for hardware, but on the other hand not be willing to spend the some more €uro for a game to acquire the game "legitimately".
When did this become normal?
Speaking for myself and answering your question, me. I'm buying directly on Steam. If only to be able to make use of the right of return.
There are plenty of places to buy PC games that aren't Steam and also aren't run by criminal syndicates you know. If you can't be bothered to find the best price for a game you really have only yourself to blame.

There is no PC shortage, it's called if you have money you can get what you want. Will there be delays? Maybe. If you have money doors open for you.

Is this an argument on being poor because there's literally no PC shortage if you want to buy shit, go to any third party PC maker, go through their list and buy ALL THE PARTS YOU WANT, will they be a wait, yes.....money talks.....

The people crying about shortages are people looking to fleece others, if you want a brand new PC, it just takes money.
I know what you are trying to do/say but you are doing a shite job at it. Try harder next time.

GreenAlien

There are hundreds of games in my backlog, most of which run maxed out at 1080p on my RX480.. Sure, a lot of it isn't state of the art anymore, but still fun enough.

So no, I'm pretty comfortable with waiting for better prices.. Especially since I also want a good sub 1000€ 4k HDR monitor to go with the pc hardware upgrade and that's still fantasy anyway.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's a new day and I have to repeat my message. Rocket League feels so weird coming from a 120hz 4l presentation on PC to how it runs on PS5. They need a native version for that badly.

Whole different input delay and feel when it's locked at 4k120.

MikeM

I think people are forgetting that the new consoles are not the penalty boxes of before. 120 fps options are real for MP games (at least right now). COD Cold War runs mint on my PS5, same for WZ with the most recent patch. I'm going PC next year once the GPU nonsense stabilizes, and if it doesn't, I'll wait further. These new consoles are plenty good, or dare I say damn good.

TheAssist

I´d rather wait and not buy games than losing the mouse and keyboard option on top of having to compromise on performance.
Just not a big fan of console limitations if they`re not absolutely unavoidable (exclusive games).
Luckily I just upgraded before the whole craziness started.

That was kind of my turning point. When I realized that m&k on PS5 works pretty well. Low input lag, just plug and play. At least in supported games, which most a lot of multiplayer games do.

My PC and PS5 are connected to the same 43 inch HDR, 4K, 144Hz monitor and it works fine.
I do understand your point though if you say that you rely on high fps gaming. Thats something consoles cant really do without compromise. My train of thought is that a 3070 is not enough to play 4K with Ultra high details anyway. So I either have to turn down the res and upscale, or I significantly reduce effects. At any rate the console version is doing a bit of both, but probably more optimized to reach a stable 60 at 4K upscaled. I dont think the difference in image quality will be worth more than 2000€. Personally I am not that bitchy. The mouse and keyboard issue was way bigger, but I'll try that out and see how it goes.

There are plenty of places to buy PC games that aren't Steam and also aren't run by criminal syndicates you know. If you can't be bothered to find the best price for a game you really have only yourself to blame.

Nah he's right people are just trying to legitimize their behaviour.
When you're buying a key that was supposed to be for Malaysia you know what you are doing.
Mind you console gamers do it too.

Sinfulgore

Games are absurdly over priced on consoles. You’ll offset the cost of the PC on games alone. Console games are only getting more expensive as well, the PC, even at these prices, offers a great value proposition aside from the exclusives
I disagree. PC games are only cheaper if you get them years after release. Console games aren't all digital and they(physical copies) actually have value so the initial cost doesn't matter much because you have the option to sell it to make some money back. You also have access to the secondhand market that offers way better deals than anything on PC. I just bought a PS5 last week and was able to get the new Ratchet and Clank for only $45 and once I finish it in a week I'll sell it for $30.

OP, your problem is the monitor you bought. Sell your 4k monitor and buy a 1080p monitor and your 1070 will run Battlefield fine. I only buy games on PC if they are really cheap or exclusive. I like having the option of selling my games back or just renting them so when it comes to big AAA games like Battlefield I get them on consoles.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I already took the dip into current high end PC hardware. That being said, there are some games I preferred to get on console. Part of this is due to Gamepass, sure, but some games I just feel play much better on console. Latest one (which is also on Gamepass) is Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Before that, it was Outriders. Obviously, when I get a PS5, I would end up buying the exclusives on PS5 prior to their release on PC. The 60fps ports to PS5, though convoluted in their pricing, the quality is absolutely there and so I don't feel like I did last generation where I'm constantly wishing for PC ports for all of their exclusives. For exclusives from last gen, I will wait. But for current and future exclusives, it'll be day one on PS5.

TheAssist

I disagree. PC games are only cheaper if you get them years after release. Console games aren't all digital and they(physical copies) actually have value so the initial cost doesn't matter much because you have the option to sell it to make some money back. You also have access to the secondhand market that offers way better deals than anything on PC. I just bought a PS5 last week and was able to get the new Ratchet and Clank for only $45 and once I finish it in a week I'll sell it for $30.

OP, your problem is the monitor you bought. Sell your 4k monitor and buy a 1080p monitor and your 1070 will run Battlefield fine. I only buy games on PC if they are really cheap or exclusive. I like having the option of selling my games back or just renting them so when it comes to big AAA games like Battlefield I get them on consoles.
I use that Monitor for more than just gaming though. Also, I cant go back to a smaller screen. 43 inch is my life now :D. The immersion. Its breathtaking I tell you.

And my PS5 can handle it just fine, so.... (yeah yeah upscaled and all that, but again, its more about the value proposition of current PC hardware than anything else. A 3070 has to do upscale as well for 60 fps 4K).
The point of the thread is not really that my PC is a problem, its more that the console is a better solution than I had initially thought. Didnt think I would get that much out of it, after being part of the PCMR since after I sold my PS2 in 2005.

Sinfulgore

I use that Monitor for more than just gaming though. Also, I cant go back to a smaller screen. 43 inch is my life now :D. The immersion. Its breathtaking I tell you.

And my PS5 can handle it just fine, so.... (yeah yeah upscaled and all that, but again, its more about the value proposition of current PC hardware than anything else. A 3070 has to do upscale as well for 60 fps 4K).
The point of the thread is not really that my PC is a problem, its more that the console is a better solution than I had initially thought. Didnt think I would get that much out of it, after being part of the PCMR since after I sold my PS2 in 2005.
That makes sense. I like to keep my PC gaming stuff separate from my consoles so I have different displays for each.

Rival

Gold Member
I’m waiting to build a new monster pc until the next gpu generation from amd and nvidia. I’m content with series x, ps5, and switch until then. My 1080 and 4790k have a few more runs left in them and honestly I’m only really playing older cheap games on pc right now anyways. X and ps5 are fine for everything else right now. I don’t understand at this point why anyone would overpay for a 3080 that is quickly approaching its first birthday.

Quixz

Haven't been able to buy a PS5 since last year but got one of these delivered 2 weeks ago. Yay for me!

zCgcMi6.jpg

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte

Wait, so according to you the people scalping aren't fleecing? Just the people asking for there not to be scalping?

I'm proud I waited for a retail cost for my GPU and didn't give one fucking dime to some third party scalper who didn't deserve it. Good riddens. I only hope others share my patience.

Kenpachii

Consoles simple do not offer the experience of a PC. They are not even comparable.

I spended about 2 grand on my hardware last month or something 3080 and ultra wide screen, while it sounds expensive its really not if i look at the time i spend behind my PC. Its worth it.

iQuasarLV

My Intel i9 and RX 5600xt play just fine at 4k. No need to explore options. Of course I bought just before shortages hit in 2020, so I got lucky.

I was giving the consoles a year to mature before revisiting the question of whether to buy. Not worth it.

You don't have to have the latest, greatest, pc hardware to compete against the consoles. So, why not save the money and just game on what works. Unless your money is burning a hole in your wallet and the FOMO is a real thing for you.

If you have computers more than 5 years old (parts wise). I figure you were never interested in upgrading to begin with. So why compare a 2020 console to a pc 5+ years old? It should be compared to a pc younger than 5 years. Then look at what you got and see if it is even worth it.

Mr.ODST

I work in Esports so its required to have a PC especially if I get a call to do something in Valorant, Counter-Strike or any PC only title.

If it wasn't for that I'd sell my PC and get a cheap laptop to just play Final Fantasy XI and Star Wars Galaxies as I dont play much else on my PC so my 3060Ti is wasted

ACESHIGH

Banned
Nah I'll just lower settings. The trusty RX 580 will be fine for AAA 720p gaming through the end of the generation. Besides there's a ton of games I still have to play from my backlog.

Worst case scenario I'll get a Chinese retro console. Those are the only ones I am interested nowadays.

Or the mighty steam deck. But traditional console gaming is not for me. Way too limited.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
i see no point spending more money on consoles. Not paying $70 for brand new game, brand new expensive controllers and online fee. Its rather insane to charge GTA5 full price on new consoles when Epic is giving them out for free

And with Xbox and Playstation games coming to PC, its silly to buy consoles when console exclusives are coming to PC

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I used to, but gotta be honest. There is too much, old and new, that will keep me occupied on the pc to do it this time. Don't think I'll be buying new gen consoles for a couple singleplayer games. I haven't really had a 'I'm burned out on all the games I play' sensation for 5+ years. And hate me for saying it, but it just feels like more console games just keep coming out for pc anyway. I'm just going to invest all my money there.

reinking

Gold Member
I am doing great this gen.

XBSX -launch
PS5 x2 -launch
RTX 3080 FE -retail price (took patience)
Ryzen 5800x - (on sale for $310 US)

Feel bad for you folks that have been caught up in the scalper/limited inventory issues.

/humblebrag

reinking

Gold Member
Thanks - That's exactly what I was talking about. PC gamers mostly have the attitude to buy the key as cheap as possible somewhere. Where it comes from, who profits from it and who doesn't, if you even evade taxes using VPN etc. moves into the background. That does not fit together for me - on the one hand people spend hundreds, thousands of € for hardware, but on the other hand not be willing to spend the some more €uro for a game to acquire the game "legitimately".
When did this become normal?
Speaking for myself and answering your question, me. I'm buying directly on Steam. If only to be able to make use of the right of return.
You say this yet we see tons of posts about using cdkey type services to get the XBL 12 month cards to take advantage of the $1 deal. I see lots of stuff for console games too including using VPN to buy games cheaper. Trying to save a buck or ten is not exclusive to PC gaming.

Midn1ght

Definitely considering it.

I have a 3060 Ti and a PS5 and honestly I shouldn't keep them both.
I could sell the PS5 and be ok with my 3060 Ti but the inevitable Pro consoles coming in 2023-2024 mean I'll probably have to upgrade the gpu and the cpu at some point. With how ridiculous the GPU market has become, I sometimes feel I shouldn't keep riding the PC road. Even if things come back to normal, I feel Nvidia and retailers will keep asking ridiculous prices for high end cards. I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them releasing a top of the line gpu at 700-900 bucks. 1200-1500 is the new normal.

But I love PC so I'll probably sell the PS5 and save up for the 4000 series.

Griffon

Console game price is insane (80€ RRP + having to pay a sub for online, yeah fuck off), I'd rather invest that into good PC hardware.

Last edited:
What high prices? It won't last.. Console gaming is expensive in a long run. Thanks to Scalpers as well... Meanwhile on PC, 100s of hardware components to choose from... Loads of old and free to play games. There's millions of things to do on the PC, unlike consoles.

GametimeUK

For sure. I'd use EGS for games that weren't on Steam. Now that consoles are hitting 60fps with good enough settings it's worth the trade off for me. Kena is one such example.

Top Bottom