• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on LIfe Steam sales skyrocket alongside PC Game Pass success

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's called a small dick syndrome. It's well know psychological effect: If you feel powerless and desperate you'll most likely overcompensate with vocal cringe.
Wonder how many of us on here drive big ass lifted turbo diesel trucks with a rolling coal tune?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wonder why I knew you'd reply?
Stop thinking about be, sugar.
How You Doin Kiss GIF

Rykan

The audience might differ, but the awful taste is the same.
I don't agree with that at all. This game is clearly carried by its style and sense of humor rather than its gameplay, and humor especially is incredibly subjective. Call of Duty and FIFA are pretty vanilla games in comparison. You're playing this game for very different reasons than a CoD or a FIFA and I don't really see the comparison you're trying to make, mate.

Shifty1897

Story time: A non gamer friend recently bought a gaming PC just to play High on Life. A few days before he forwarded me a TikTok of it and said "What is this game?".

Long story short, I think this game might be pulling a lot of people who don't usually play games at all, as well as gamers.

Wildebeest

Looking at the twitch directory, this game is really popular with women and streamers with animated avatars which take up almost half of their screen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've got the 9 torg and started 2nd area... I am bored out of my ass.
The jokes are clever but not funny. Gameplay is okish/boring.
performance is atrocious.
Does it actually get better?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I think that's a uniquely PC related issue. If you were playing it on Xbox with a smooth 60 FPS you'd be having more fun (I imagine).

Topher

Gold Member
yeah I will lower some settings. Maybe very high 4k is too much

I lowered mine to 1440p and it performs a lot better. Can't see a difference visually.

It seems I hurt your feelings with my comments. Its called having an opinion. It's a mediocre game with a 63 metecritics score, that's what the majority of critics are saying, and I am not trolling.

I'll see myself out of here before more tears flow.

Its called having an uninformed opinion. Play the game first.

Last edited:

manfestival

Honestly the game performance is pretty atrocious considering how wildly inconsistent it is. Especially in some of the latter parts of the game. I am enjoying the game otherwise.
Jokes are about the same across the board for the game with a few outliers. It is one of those things of whether it is your cup of tea or not.

Sleepwalker

That was my experience as well. The divorce lawyer intro was decent, it went downhill very fast after. I uninstalled.

So you’ve unlocked one new gun maybe and haven’t opened up the gameplay at all or any of the platforming. Yes it gets better.

To the talk about the review score, I think this game is the best example in a long time of how out of whack current scoring is. This game at a 63 or whatever would have been great during the PS2 era but for some reason a 63 nowadays is considered trash.

HoL is a good game. There’s something wrong when unique new IPs like HoL are scoring in the 60’s for some reason and bloated focus group tested meh like Forbidden West is almost scoring 90’s, which used to be reserved for truly great games.

Last edited:

KingT731

So you’ve unlocked one new gun maybe and haven’t opened up the gameplay at all or any of the platforming. Yes it gets better.

To the talk about the review score, I think this game is the best example in a long time of how out of whack current scoring is. This game at a 63 or whatever would have been great during the PS2 era but for some reason a 63 nowadays is considered trash.

HoL is a good game. There’s something wrong when unique new IPs like HoL are scoring in the 60’s for some reason and bloated focus group tested meh like Forbidden West is almost scoring 90’s, which used to be reserved for truly great games.
It's just how people look at the scores. On a 1-100 scale a 63 sounds just about right...It's in the land of average the gameplay is pretty basic nothing to write home about..the humor is subjective and the story is ehhh. On steam there's no real grading of the reviews either...it's just Recommend or not and aggregated so you'd have to actually read the reviews to see where people are at with it and where they put their focus on. So i can't really say if there's a true disconnect or if it's just a case of different standards.

Kilau

I like games that make me think, with a serious or dark atmosphere. Baldurs Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age, City Skylines, Darkwood, Rimworld...that kind of stuff.

Stupid brainless fun is fun sometimes...no doubt. But everything this dude makes is praised as the second coming. Remember the Szechuan sauce disaster? Or all those stupid Rick&Morty memes? Yikes....
I don't know why this dude is worshipped so much among Gen X'ers and redditors but those people want me to avoid anything this man creates because i refuse to associate myself with such people. First season of R&M was cool, i give him that...it was original and something different. But what followed (cult worship, depressive nihilism, hype etc) is just pure idiocracy. From the 30 minutes i could stomach (streamer + Justin Roiland = pure hell) - this game is no different.
Gen X? I dunno about that, we are all in our 40s/50s now and we hate everything.

Hugare

Story time: A non gamer friend recently bought a gaming PC just to play High on Life. A few days before he forwarded me a TikTok of it and said "What is this game?".

Long story short, I think this game might be pulling a lot of people who don't usually play games at all, as well as gamers.
I've posted this on a thread that was locked: this is the power of Tiktok, ladies and gentlemen.

I want to play the game soon because I enjoy Rick and Morty, but these numbers are no indicative of the game's quality. People feeling validated saying that the MC score is totally wrong due to the game's boom in popularity should remember how many copies the new Pokemon game sold.

Pentiment is probably the better game of the two, but quite possibly has 1/20 of HOL number of downloads. Maybe less, much less.

People are watching small snipets from the game's dialogue and being attracted to it. Rick and Morty also helps boosting its popularity.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've posted this on a thread that was locked: this is the power of Tiktok, ladies and gentlemen.

I want to play the game soon because I enjoy Rick and Morty, but these numbers are no indicative of the game's quality. People feeling validated saying that the MC score is totally wrong due to the game's boom in popularity should remember how many copies the new Pokemon game sold.

Pentiment is probably the better game of the two, but quite possibly has 1/20 of HOL number of downloads. Maybe less, much less.

People are watching small snipets from the game's dialogue and being attracted to it. Rick and Morty also helps boosting its popularity.
Don't overhype yourself. Its fun. Its not life changing.

But if you want multiple Xbox games and want them cheap get a series S and GP. Thats what I did. Just saying. Get it if you like indies and AA games. Don't expect God of War bangers nonstop and you'll probably enjoy it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Interesting, so no OT, but official Xbox announcement from Xbox with new data than just what was in this thread, gets deleted and can't stand on its own. Ok. This is after the thread I made which was older than this one, was merged into it. Interesting.

Welp.

Anyway here's the Xbox announcement again.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/12/20/high-on-life-xbox-game-pass-biggest-launch/
This is the HOL hype thread. You didn't do anything wrong. We have a thread for it. Just chill dude. Post updates here.

Read the headline. This thread covers it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Top selling game on Steam but is also on part of a sub service, Game Pass. People here said that you can’t have both. Weird. So a game can be both commercially successful and part of a sub service. Interesting.
PC has an huge userbase while Game Pass PC don't have massive numbers. If a game has big market appeal ofc it will sell despite being on subs, we already saw on titles like Sea of Thieves.
There's nothing strange about it, the interesting part would be knowing how much a commercially appealing title can push new subs without being exclusive to it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i hope because of this Sony will release more quality AA games on PS Plus.
Good job Microsoft. Game looks funny and interesting to play.

Last edited:
This is the HOL hype thread. You didn't do anything wrong. We have a thread for it. Just chill dude. Post updates here.

Read the headline. This thread covers it.

That was an official announcement with more stats from Xbox, not a hype thread. This thread originally was just a report on one data point.

But anyway that's spilt milk now.

A mod might as well rename the review topic to the OT, since it's fairly active and that's where the bulk of the games discussion has taken place.

[/URL][/URL]

There was also an older topic merged into this one too. Maybe this can be the OT, or the review thread.

Or maybe they can merge the review thread into this one.

Last edited:
PC has an huge userbase while Game Pass PC don't have massive numbers. If a game has big market appeal ofc it will sell despite being on subs, we already saw on titles like Sea of Thieves.
There's nothing strange about it, the interesting part would be knowing how much a commercially appealing title can push new subs without being exclusive to it.
I was being snarky. Don’t read too much into it.

The gameplay is boring and the story isn't anything great. I see that the game also has poor review scores and it lines up with what I think of it. I'm struggling to comprehend the attention the game is getting

bender

What time is it?
The gameplay is boring and the story isn't anything great. I see that the game also has poor review scores and it lines up with what I think of it. I'm struggling to comprehend the attention the game is getting

I think enjoyment probably hinges on if the humor clicks with you. I'm getting a lot of BioShock Infinite vibes from the combat design and that's not a compliment.

Top Bottom