• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High On Life.... I love it. Anyone else playing this gem?

Discovered this game somewhat by chance, noticed a YouTube video about it's controversial reviews... Saw that it was on Game Pass so I checked it out.

I'm hooked.

It's like a funky mix of Metroid Prime, Half-Life, Halo, and Oddworld... with smart in your face raunchy humor. I have enjoyed Rick and Morty before and noticed this is by the same guy and his game studio... Which I was surprisingly unaware of til now.

The colorful and weird graphics that are so full of detail and nuance. Exploration and fun enemy encounters. Great boss fights and mission structure. Cool movement and traversal options that open areas up to you naturally. An enjoyable story that doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't have lengthy non-interactive cutscenes but kind of plays out in front of you ala Half Life.

I didn't expect it, but this is the most fun I've had playing a game in awhile.

What are your thoughts?

Topher

Gold Member
Fun game. Personally, I like the humor. The gunplay is good, but through four bosses only the guns have really changed and not the enemies. I've been playing in small chunks the last week or so due to Christmas, but I hope to finish in the next few days. A solid shooter overall. 7-ish/10

Banned
I started playing it after the PC version can now be played with a higher FOV thanks to Flawless Widescreen, so I don't have to throw up while playing.

I like it... it's super janky in many ways but it's pretty fun

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

I enjoyed the gameplay and some of the humour. The achievements were funny as hell, but i really disliked the excessive swearing to say they overdid it would be an understatement. Wish knifey and MacNcheese brothers were used a bit more.

Last edited:
Discovered this game somewhat by chance, noticed a YouTube video about it's controversial reviews... Saw that it was on Game Pass so I checked it out.

I'm hooked.

It's like a funky mix of Metroid Prime, Half-Life, Halo, and Oddworld... with smart in your face raunchy humor. I have enjoyed Rick and Morty before and noticed this is by the same guy and his game studio... Which I was surprisingly unaware of til now.

The colorful and weird graphics that are so full of detail and nuance. Exploration and fun enemy encounters. Great boss fights and mission structure. Cool movement and traversal options that open areas up to you naturally. An enjoyable story that doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't have lengthy non-interactive cutscenes but kind of plays out in front of you ala Half Life.

What are your thoughts?
I was expecting to hate it based on all the reviews. Made me think this game was borderlands 2/3 levels of cringe but after checking it out on Gamepass I fell I love with it. Really applaud the studio for their attempt at a comedic title such games are pretty rare now that p&c adventure games have mostly gone extinct.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I absolutely loved it. It displaced Triangle Strategy for me and is now my 3rd best GOTY. The story, humor, easter eggs mixed with almost Nintendo level quality bosses and fun gameplay. I think its the best comedy game ever made by a mile, and probably my favorite FPS ever made.

A sequel will get more investment for movies, comedians, and enemy variety. Its just going to get better. They've got a winner.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
chair table GIF by South Park

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's not bad but has so much needless swearing. Like this is circa 2008 and a dev thinks it's cool to toss in bad words for the sake of it. It's bad enough to where I had to change the settings for voice and for the gun/enemy banter to be off.

No kid or anyone of age should think that excessive swearing somehow takes a game go a notch.

Kokoloko85

It's bad enough to where I had to change the settings for voice and for the gun/enemy banter to be off.

Normally I like Banter or talking between characters in video games. But Rick and Morty or Family guy banter…. Id rather have Forspoken out of the cringe battle

Roberts

It's not bad but has so much needless swearing. Like this is circa 2008 and a dev thinks it's cool to toss in bad words for the sake of it. It's bad enough to where I had to change the settings for voice and for the gun/enemy banter to be off.

No kid or anyone of age should think that excessive swearing somehow takes a game go a notch.
Swearing is part of the world building - it's a universe full of psychos, sociopaths, weirdos un creeps. Of course it will have swearing. It actually never feels forced.

acm2000

Thoroughly enjoyed it, make sure to try find the secrets and but all the disks as they add a lot to the experience.

I rate it 69/80

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you guys have actually played it and want to talk about why you don't like it, that would be helpful. Just citing Gamepass is pretty much the lowest form of commentary you could have. I can get incredibly specific about why I think it's a great game. Has nothing to do with Gamepass.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I wish I had more time to play games. With the holidays behind us, I should start to have a little more free time. This is a game I want to really sink my teeth into. I’ve only played the first couple of hours. Which were fantastic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you guys have actually played it and want to talk about why you don't like it, that would be helpful. Just citing Game Pass is pretty much the lowest form of commentary you could have. I can get incredibly specific about why I think it's a great game. Has nothing to do with Game Pass.
FTFY, sugar ;)

brian0057

Banned
Good news is that not everything has to be for everyone! How incredible is that?
How about spending less time on things you don't like, and more time on things you do like?

It's a winn-winn situation, we don't have to see those kind of comment (that serve no purpose, for real) you, you don't waste your time!
I'm waiting for Subnautica to update.
Also, don't post on a public forum if you feel in danger of reading opinions you don't like.

Kokoloko85

If you guys have actually played it and want to talk about why you don't like it, that would be helpful. Just citing Gamepass is pretty much the lowest form of commentary you could have. I can get incredibly specific about why I think it's a great game. Has nothing to do with Gamepass.

The humour just isn’t my thing. But then again Ive only watched a handful of episodes my friends got me to watch. Now if they make a 1st person South Park game like this, Id be interested

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm waiting for Subnautica to update.
Also, don't post on a public forum if you feel in danger of reading opinions you don't like.
There is a difference between reading contrary opinions which can be interesting, and just a blatant troll that serve no purpose.
But hey, you do you.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Looks fun. It's on my list of games that I'd like to play in a more immediate future. Which is completely different from my list of games that I'd like to play in a completely unspecified, probably distant future, i.e. "backlog"

Drewpee

Banned

I'm hooked.

What are your thoughts?
It's an Xbox console exclusive so you're going to find theres not a super high opinion on it around here. There's alot of little general complaints from people that haven't actually touched the game.

Personally I am enjoying the hell out of it. Love the little details, makes me feel like Im playing a game the creators really cared about. My only complaint would he the 3d model they used for the sister. She looks weird and out of placed compared to the rest of the game.

Topher

Gold Member
It's an Xbox console exclusive so you're going to find theres not a super high opinion on it around here. There's alot of little general complaints from people that haven't actually touched the game.

Well, if someone hasn't played the game then that is one thing, but let's not pretend complaints about the game are isolated to folks "around here". Plenty of reviewers were not kind at all. Unfairly so, imo, but it is what it is.

The idea of ricky and morty yelling at me for hours on end didn't appeal to me at first. But I have to admit I've been enjoying this game. It makes me chuckle from time to time. Gameplay and visuals aren't bad either.

Top Bottom