• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Will Talk Design Philosophy Of Death Stranding At GDC 2020

Mass Shift

I wish I could attend just for the laughs because we all know that session is going to be irrationally hilarious.

Poordevil

Have not played Death Stranding. Kinda tied up with Sekiro ATM. If I ever slug my way through it, I might be ready for a change of pace and Death Stranding might be PERFECT. Totally different design philosophy, I can be sure of that!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The only people who need to shut the fuck up are the nay-sayers and whiners.

Whether you like the game or not does not matter, because if nothing else its an interesting case-study into taking an alternative approach to the usual combat-centrism and power accumulation loop that is so common in modern game design.

That's important, because even if Kojima didn't perfect it, someone else could pick up where he left off and create something better.

root number

Neo Member
awesome. looking forward to this a lot.

there are some cool GDC talks around the Metal Gear games. here is one i really like.

He needs to take time with the multiplayer.

Don't incorporate stealth into every game type!

Have a few game modes where stealth is used.

I understand how hard it is to make MGS TPP Multiplayer.

I, personally, wasn't dissapointed with TPP multiplayer. It's still my favorite game. Please, focus heavily on single player.

Go Kojima go.

Jtibh

Banned
He will talk about life after the pandemic.
And how to build bunkers underground and how to carry 500pounds of face masks on your body.

A true hero.

GymWolf

I was heavily drugged during the entire process, the end.

Don't forget to pick you're gift pack with piss and shit granades replica models from the game on the way out my deer fans.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"so I looked at a mailman and said to myself 'I need to create a game with this', then I wanted to be just as boring as the real job is"

A HUMBLE KING
JDyWvnx.png

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm gonna grab this again on PC in the next couple of weeks.

Will be interesting to play it again with a different perspective having experienced the year we've all had (and for me personally because I lost my father to cancer in the last few months).
C’mon not a smart move buying the same game twice

OutRun88

Looking forward to it!

I just started playing this game. I know it gets a lot of hate, but so far the world and story is bizarre and incredible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
or lack thereof..
I came here expecting this type of answer and it's annoying af.
The game has so much gameplay mechanics and unique features. It's one of very few new single player games without any mtx that tries something new and has everything unique about it.
It's not just a walking sim but even if, it's the best damn walking ever and it's genuinely involving mechanic. It's kinda relaxing for me and not boring which was very surprising.

I understand people subjectively not liking it but can we please stop bashing creative single player games? We don't get stuff like this anymore

Lethal01

People really out here acting like you need to think you are a god to give a presentation on your game at GDC.

ZywyPL

Banned
I understand people subjectively not liking it but can we please stop bashing creative single player games? We don't get stuff like this anymore

Being creative just for the sake of being creative doesn't make a game any better, if a game is simply not good/fun then it doesn't matter in the greater picture, and if so, it doesn't sell well, and that's exactly why we "don't get stuff like this anymore", after all it's all just a business.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Being creative just for the sake of being creative doesn't make a game any better, if a game is simply not good/fun then it doesn't matter in the greater picture, and if so, it doesn't sell well, and that's exactly why we "don't get stuff like this anymore", after all it's all just a business.
But that's not true. The game is creative and it's better thanks to that. Imo it was very addicting and fun.

ZywyPL

Banned
But that's not true. The game is creative and it's better thanks to that. Imo it was very addicting and fun.

Well most people disagree. But we will see within next week or two how the PC audience welcomed the game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The thing is that it is fun, very creating, and engaging. It sold well enough and thanks to it being available on PC now less system warriors will feel bad about getting it and will enjoy it more (see NMS after Next...).

LokusAbriss

While it is totally understandable to describe the gameplay as boring or not liking the game at all, they definetly created something special. A game that does speak to few deeply and goes far beyound a fedex simulator. Kojima and other japanese developers see themselves as much higher artists as they are. While it is often great and incredible art, they still just make videogames and are no gods.

That said, only someone who suffered similar losses would have come up with the many different fates in the game. In my first playthrough at the end of last year, the game didn't really move me and neither did I really grasb some fates. But that has changed for me very fast after and I am definetly not alone.

Carrying and caring for an unborn for the most part of the game might not feel special or deep for most. But there is a small percentage of parents for who this is all they ever get to experience with their child. After 36 months, while you feld its reactions and kicks, it might be born and not live. An experience that is so incredible incomprehensible and devastating. It lived, but also didn't lived. The game captured this very comprehensible. Unfortunately, unlike Sam, these parents have no chance to save their child and have to live with this fate forever. It will never make sense and you have no living memories, like when older people lose their lives.

Somebody, who has not experienced or witnessed this, would never come up with such a subject. It sadly happens too often from my point of view and is so hard to make sense of.

I liked the game from the beginning, but it definetly helps to come to grips with it more.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member

"Fun" is subjective.

I had a good time playing the game on PS4 last year.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well most people disagree. But we will see within next week or two how the PC audience welcomed the game.
Most people? The game is exactly split 50/50 with reviews being positive.
Don't see most people. Go hate on good games somewhere else

GymWolf

Gameplay loop and sense of progression were ok to good, it was combat, story and chara who were mostly trash.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Most people? The game is exactly split 50/50 with reviews being positive.
Don't see most people. Go hate on good games somewhere else

Not only there's a split but many people simply didn't bought the game, it's not a sales hit, and even Kojima admitted it in the interview.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not only there's a split but many people simply didn't bought the game, it's not a sales hit, and even Kojima admitted it in the interview.
That's because people are idiots and like milking call of duty and assassins creed. We can't have good things

LarknThe4th

I'm gonna grab this again on PC in the next couple of weeks.

Will be interesting to play it again with a different perspective having experienced the year we've all had (and for me personally because I lost my father to cancer in the last few months).

I'm really sorry for your loss, fuck cancer

Videogames are a good distraction in tough times I have found

• Love
Reactions: GHG

ZywyPL

Banned
That's because people are idiots and like milking call of duty and assassins creed. We can't have good things

"Good" is a very subjective word. You liked the game, cool, good for you, but neglecting the fact that the majority of gamers didn't even found it interesting enough to give it a try won't change anything.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"Good" is a very subjective word. You liked the game, cool, good for you, but neglecting the fact that the majority of gamers didn't even found it interesting enough to give it a try won't change anything.
That's right. They did not give it a try. Just as people bash tlou2 who have not played it

Top Bottom