• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Wanted to Make a Game That Reacted to the Smell of Your Breath.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hideo Kojima has always been one of the video game industry's most unique voices. As the creator of Konami's Metal Gear franchise, as well as the recent Death Stranding, Kojima has provided gamers with some of the most interesting games ever. In 2003, Kojima produced a somewhat lesser known title by the name of Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand. The Game Boy Advance title had a very interesting hook: a sensor on the game's cartridge could read the sunlight and use it to charge the main character Django's solar weapons. However, a newly unearthed interview with Nintendo Dream from 2003 (translated by Shmupulations) reveals that Kojima wanted to take things one step further with a sensor that could also smell the player's breath!

"Sometime last year, I think, I approached Shigeru Miyamoto at Nintendo and gave a presentation pitch. In the beginning then, it wasn’t just a sunlight sensor – I actually had wanted to include a sensor that measured how your breath smelled too! I *really* wanted to add that! The enemies are vampires, right? So if you ate something garlic-y and breathed on the mic, they’d all die. (laughs)"

Kojima went on to say that the rest of the team, apparently, hated the idea. While it's certainly an intriguing concept, it's easy to see why the idea never got off the ground. Sunlight is (theoretically) plentiful for most, but forcing the player to purchase the foods necessary to defeat Boktai's enemies would have limited the game's audience. Perhaps some players might be allergic to garlic. Younger players might have also had a difficult time asking their parents to change up the evening's dinner plans. Perhaps it's better this idea was left on the cutting room floor!

meirl

Banned
seems so much fun. wow.

honestly, kojima can produce the shittiest ideas, sony fanboys will still eat it up

LoathsomeRelievedArmedcrab.webp

GymWolf

Maybe a police simulator where you stop drivers to control their alcohol level with that breath machine??

After "death stranding", the story of a man who walk a lot, there is "life drinking", the story of a man who can't walk in a straight line...

Last edited:

Oh wow, I came too late to make this joke :(

Wait:

Kojima wanted to make game that reacts to semen. 'The player would put his semen inside and 9 months later a baby pops out. I called that process "D-LiveR-ing". Someone at Nintendo told me we can't sell females, though.'

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
seems so much fun. wow.

honestly, kojima can produce the shittiest ideas, sony fanboys will still eat it up
Boktai was surely a Sony fanboy thing yeah... no worries, once it is out on PC and maybe Xbox One one day you can enjoy DS and other games of his too without even having to lose face on here ;).

meirl

Banned
Boktai was surely a Sony fanboy thing yeah... no worries, once it is out on PC and maybe Xbox One one day you can enjoy DS and other games of his too without even having to lose face on here ;).

nah, not going to waste my time with this delivery game lol have a lot of other - better - games to play, than this fucking CHORE.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
nah, not going to waste my time with this delivery game lol have a lot of other - better - games to play, than this fucking CHORE.

Have fun with his other work then ;). I am having tons of fun with this game and it’s interesting twist on async multiplayer. Sorry you can only reduce it to one of its components, delivery, and how that happens is seemingly inconsequential, but it is not a game for everyone.

Top Bottom