• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Wanted Hans Zimmer to Score Metal Gear Solid 2

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent interview, series producer Rika Muranaka divulged some details about the Metal Gear Solid series as a whole, but paid special attention to the sequel Metal Gear Solid 2. Muranaka recounted the original game’s more synthetic and mechanical soundtrack. Since the sequel had a bigger budget, the development studio wanted to create more robust audio and even have a fully orchestral score. When the team approached Zimmer about the project, he declined, citing that the payout was not sufficient.

Ultimately, Metal Gear Solid 2 would be shipped with a soundtrack by someone working under Zimmer, a man named Harry Gregson-Williams. Muranaka recalls him being “an upcoming composer,” but he would go on to provide some of the Metal Gear Solid franchise’s most iconic melodies. Gregson-Williams said that he had not considered video games at that time, and he went on to describe the challenges that came with the interactive medium.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Season 3 Crying GIF

ManaByte

Ultimately, Metal Gear Solid 2 would be shipped with a soundtrack by someone working under Zimmer, a man named Harry Gregson-Williams. Muranaka recalls him being “an upcoming composer,” but he would go on to provide some of the Metal Gear Solid franchise’s most iconic melodies. Gregson-Williams said that he had not considered video games at that time, and he went on to describe the challenges that came with the interactive medium.

And now his theme is erased from the franchise.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
He didn't get him. Who cares? Why is this a story?

WitchHunter

Well, by the looks of it Hans is a cool guy. He recommended a badass for the project: HGW. HGW is one of the biggest king kong level music composers around.

Mozzarella

Never saw the huge appeal for Hans Zimmer, I thought he makes a lot of similar soundtracks which are loud noisy and generic, he does have a bunch of great ones though especially older ones.

MrA

Banned
Kinda glad he didn't. Zimmer is easily the most overrated composer in movie history. His only score which stands out to me is Broken Arrow, and it's merely decent.
what are you talking about parley is great, oh that's right it just rips off man with a harmonica, and dead minimum broken arrows theme gets all its ques from Watch Chimes without the context

Sophist

At the time, the music from the the first MGS reminded me the one from the movie Speed (1994, starring Keanu reeves and sandra bullocks, ... a little action movie, you probably never heard of it) composed by Mark Mancina. Haven't played the game again since then but i remember that.

Zimmer did great in Modern Warfare 2, my favorite COD Soundtrack.

Do we know what was exactly composed by Hans zimmer? The game credits do say

Main Themes byHans Zimmer
Music Produced byHans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe
Music Composed byLorne Balfe
Additional MusicMark Mancina, Nick Phoenix, Thomas Bergersen, Dave Metzger, Jacob Shea, Noah Sorota, Atli Örvarsson

At the time, the music from the the first MGS reminded me the one from the movie Speed (1994, starring Keanu reeves and sandra bullocks, ... a little action movie, you probably never heard of it) composed by Mark Mancina. Haven't played the game again since then but i remember that.

Additional MusicMark Mancina, Nick Phoenix, Thomas Bergersen, Dave Metzger, Jacob Shea, Noah Sorota, Atli Örvarsson

I don't know, no, but Thomas bergerson is the epic half of two steps from hell so I wouldn't be surprised if the hard hitting tracks are his.

OrionNebula

Wasn’t Beyond Two Souls a similar situation as well? Aren’t the vast majority of tracks and recordings by Balfe?

Kev Kev

Lol, typical Kojima, of course he did.

would have been awesome, but the soundtrack turned out great anyway.

Notabueno

Banned
Sometimes you think you need or want someone but in the end you give the chance to someone who does a way better job than the most wanted would have. Just the menu of MGS2 geez, one of the best of all video game history, so fucking edgy, intriguing and cinema worthy

Last edited:
Odd numbered games are the best. Sure great gameplay in mgsV.
Don't forget he did make mgs 2 and 4 some of the most awful, hubris laden, nonsensical games ever.

Ironically Konami looking over his shoulder to make sure he wasn't making batshit crazy segments and reining in his ideas might have been the best use case (death stranding was shite)

wolywood

T’was a good joke though. Hans Zimmer’s fell off hard after The Dark Knight trilogy anyways. Spider-Man 2, Dark Phoenix and 2049 whatever he put towards that were not noteworthy at all.

Interstellar had a fantastic score. But in general I agree with you

Jack Uzi

Banned
Interstellar had a fantastic score. But in general I agree with you
At the time of writing my original post it slipped my mind that movie. It might be one of his best scores because it was different to how he usually scores movies.

The ticking clock stuff was very good.

Top Bottom