• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima turns 58, vows to stay creative even after his body fails him

Gaming legend Hideo Kojima recently celebrated his 58th birthday, and to mark the occasion, the Metal Gear designer promised to stay creative for as long as he can.

In a tweet, Kojima acknowledged that his physical body is on the decline, but his creativity is as sharp as ever. "Although my body is failing me, my creativity is not waning yet. Until my brain loses its creative power, I'll continue to strive to create things. That's my instinct, and that's what I love to do. Thank you," he wrote.

Kojima also reminded his Twitter followers that Brad Pitt is also 58 and Tom Cruise is 59. And although about 95% of Kojima Productions is working remotely, they still had an office birthday party for Kojima featuring a scrumptious-looking cake topped with strawberries and blueberries.

Kojima's latest project is Death Stranding, which sold 5 million copies and is now getting a director's cut edition in September. An "extended" gameplay trailer for the game on PlayStation 5 will air during Gamescom Opening Night Live this Wednesday, August 25. Separate from that, Kojima recently teased that a different video for the game is set to be released soon. This trailer could be released as soon as early September, Kojima himself estimates.

Kojima's next game after Death Stranding might be an exclusive for Xbox with cloud integration. According to a report, Kojima and Xbox have signed a letter of intent, but it might not be a done deal, and it's early days in any event.

Very interested as always to see what game Kojima is cooking up. He is definitely one of the more creative game designers and puts out the best trailers in my opinion.

Stuart360

I'm not a big fan compared to many to be honest, but i hope he's not talking about anyhting serious here. 58 is a little young to be talking about his body failing him through age. I mean i have chronic back pain at 40 but its through an old injury.

He has writers cancer.

When you still can't write even a basic story coherently at a 2nd grade level in 58 years of life, the body just says screw it.

Lol, he's probably fine. Iirc nothing about his health has come up before unless he's hiding something.

The greatest creatives in terms of duration are probably Spielberg, Scorscese, Kurosawa, Miyamoto, and Clint Eastwood. It can be done, and it would be neat to see him making games into his 60s and 70s.
Miyamoto has done relatively very little over many years and get credited for stuff he has had nothing to do with. People keep passing on his name yet he hasn't been consistently active, instead taking a backend executive role.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

He has writers cancer.

When you still can't write even a basic story coherently at a 2nd grade level in 58 years of life, the body just says screw it.

Lol, he's probably fine. Iirc nothing about his health has come up before unless he's hiding something.

Miyamoto has done relatively very little over many years and get credited for stuff he has had nothing to do with. People keep passing on his name yet he hasn't been consistently active, instead taking a backend executive role.
I don't even think he ever recognized his team efforts in any interview. He seems like a very egocentric person.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
His last game was uninteresting. I hope he does some great work for Microsoft, or whoever he makes a game for.

He should work with Microsoft to revive Scalebound, but reskin it so it's based on a movie franchise, like the next Fast and the Furious movie. I miss the bad movie tie-in games from the 80's.

If that's what he looks like at 58 and with a "failing body," then I am terrified for what the next 20 years has in store for me.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kojima in 2071 be like "I got new ideas for Death Stranding VI."

LjrFkS4.jpg

Dr Bass

100% disagree. Video games are a superior story telling medium to films as you have agency in the experience.
I've been playing games since I was 4 or 5 and have experienced many, video game generations.

There is no way games tell better stories than movies. Agency has absolutely nothing to do with telling a story, it's just a feature of playing a game. That's like saying Choose Your Own Adventure books are better than the greatest works of fiction because you have "agency."

No.

I love games, and some games have really left their mark on me. I'll pick maybe the best done video game story I think I've seen in terms of execution both in terms of themes and story telling maturity - Silent Hill 2. It's fantastic. It still doesn't measure up to movies like The Godfather. Chinatown. Rear Window. Vertigo. Seven Samurai. I could go on and on. Games are faaaaar removed from hitting these heights.

It's ok to prefer games because of the kind of experience you get from them. They absolutely are not better at story telling though. They are still far behind movies and books in that regard. Probably always will be.

GuinGuin

Banned
I've been playing games since I was 4 or 5 and have experienced many, video game generations.

There is no way games tell better stories than movies. Agency has absolutely nothing to do with telling a story, it's just a feature of playing a game. That's like saying Choose Your Own Adventure books are better than the greatest works of fiction because you have "agency."

No.

I love games, and some games have really left their mark on me. I'll pick maybe the best done video game story I think I've seen in terms of execution both in terms of themes and story telling maturity - Silent Hill 2. It's fantastic. It still doesn't measure up to movies like The Godfather. Chinatown. Rear Window. Vertigo. Seven Samurai. I could go on and on. Games are faaaaar removed from hitting these heights.

It's ok to prefer games because of the kind of experience you get from them. They absolutely are not better at story telling though. They are still far behind movies and books in that regard. Probably always will be.

We will just have to disagree. Games like Silent Hill 2, Vagrant Story, and TLOU2 are far more interesting and emotional to me than any movie because I'm not watching a character do something on screen. I am living the life of the character and my actions are their actions therefore their consequences are my consequences. Movies just don't come anywhere close to that. In a movie if a character hesitates before entering a frightening area that is their choice. If I hesitate before entering a frightening area that is my emotion being interwoven with the story being told. If I come to terms with the fear and death and Isolation and proceed then that story is my story not just the character's on screen.

SSfox

To me stories are better in games usually than in movies, there are movies with awesome stories, but there are less than there are great stories in games.

GuinGuin

Banned
To me stories are better in games usually than in movies, there are movies with awesome stories, but there are less than there are great stories in games.

Movies have such limited runtime the stories they can tell are very limited. I would put TV shows as a step above movies and just below games.

He's going to create clones of himself and call them Solid Kojima and Liquid Kojima. One of them will work for Microsoft while the other will work for Sony.

Nintendo can have Raiden though.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: RNG
Top Bottom