• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima says he wants to create a game that changes in real-time, says players have become more creative and continue to play his games

hideo_kojima-710x400.jpg

In an interview with Japanese magazine Anan, Death Stranding creator Hideo Kojima says that he wants to make games that “change in real-time.” Kojima detailed the creative process behind the upcoming Death Stranding Director’s Cut. He also expressed an interest in creating games that can continue to serve a purpose beyond the initial playthrough. He wants his work to serve as a “playground” for different kinds of people.

When creating the initial concept of Death Stranding, Kojima stated that the game was inspired by how humanity’s existence is made possible due to indirect connections. One example he gives is when mountain climbers use man-made bridges to hike up mountains. “By that same perspective,” Kojima says, “roads and convenience stores exist because someone else made them, and through this, players understand that they live in a society.”

When asked how he plans to continue evolving games, Kojima referenced Boktai. The game is a lesser-known title for the Game Boy Advance that he worked on during his time at Konami. Centered around vampire-hunters combating undead creatures, the game used the GBA’s built-in solar sensor to battle enemies.

"I want to create a game that changes in real-time. Even though there are people of different ages and trades playing the same game, they are playing it in the same way. Instead, I want the game to change based on where that person lives, and that person’s unique perspective … Because you would defeat vampires using the light from the sun, [Boktai] would change based on where and when you played the game. That kind of feature connects man-made systems to real-life."

Kojima also notes how the video game community has become more creative, particularly those playing the games. Starting with professional gamers, live streamers, and more recently in-game photographers, he compares his role as a game designer to that of someone who builds a park or playground. He expressed happiness at the fact that players are continuing to “play in his playground” long after completing the game.

GymWolf

Yeah, after ds i wanna see the receipts before buying anything from our master and savior.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Seems only really feasible on Cloud, if it's going to change much, otherwise people would have bitch about high data usage (even though cloud, etc..but I mean local data storage usage)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Death Stranding creator Hideo Kojima says that he wants to make games that “change in real-time.”

tnDXoKr.jpg

PLAYSTATION EXPERIENCE DECEMBER RUMORED.

OK SH CONFIRMED.

Death Stranding creator Hideo Kojima says that he wants to make games that “change in real-time.”

tnDXoKr.jpg

PLAYSTATION EXPERIENCE DECEMBER RUMORED.

OK SH CONFIRMED.
Well, first you said Kojima should go back to making Metal Gear Solid games for Sony and now you're saying Silent Hills.

It's been six years. He no longer works for Konami so I'm pretty sure whatever he creates will be a new IP.

When creating the initial concept of Death Stranding, Kojima stated that the game was inspired by how humanity’s existence is made possible due to indirect connections. One example he gives is when mountain climbers use man-made bridges to hike up mountains. “By that same perspective,” Kojima says, “roads and convenience stores exist because someone else made them, and through this, players understand that they live in a society.
You know the translator had some fun.

Edit: The relevant Japanese passage and a Google translation. (I'm starting to wonder how much is abridged in the Siliconera article.)
山登りに行くと、“これ、誰が作ったんだ”と思うような、丸太でできた橋とかがあるでしょ。それが本当に助かるわけです。同じ山でも、低い場所にあるのより高い場所にある自販機のほうがドリンクの値段が高かったりするけど、それも誰かがそこに持ってきてくれたから飲める。その視点で見ると、道路もコンビニも誰かが作ってくれたから利用できるし、そういう社会で自分は生きてきたとわかるはず。ゲームにおける足跡や建造物は、それに気づくギミックでもあるんです。間接的につながり、群れることで、人類は生きていけるんですよね
When you go up the mountain, you will find a bridge made of logs that makes you think, "Who made this?" That really helps. Even in the same mountain, drinks are more expensive in vending machines in higher places than in lower places, but I can drink it because someone brought it there. From that point of view, you can use the roads and convenience stores because someone made them, and you can see that I have lived in such a society. Footprints and structures in the game are also gimmicks to notice. Human beings can live by indirectly connecting and flocking.

Last edited:

"According to a recent interview with Japanese gaming publication Anan, Kojima would like to make a game that changes in real-time and in accordance to the individual player.

“What I want to do is to make games that change in real time,” Kojima said. “People of all ages and professions are playing the same game, but everyone is playing the same way. Instead, it’s something that changes depending on where you live and how you feel about it.”

Kojima referenced that the idea would build upon one instituted in a previous game in his resume, Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand, which was released for the Game Boy Advance in 2003."

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Kojima always makes me nervous. Like, just make yet another awesome action and/or stealth game. They’re always great and they’re never retreads.

but then, he said a lot of weird shit about DS and at the end of the day it still has the action/adventure elements I love.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not sure why his next game is taking so long. It's disappointing to see him go this long without revealing his new title. He typically reveals games within a year of development.

Let kojima run wild. At the very least, he would make something truly unique (if not "fun" in the regular sense).

You go build that game Kojima-san!

A.Romero

He is the Japanese Molyneux. I mean, remember how he talked about Death Stranding? It was supposed to be a new game genre. We got a TPS adventure game.

I love the guy and his games but sometimes he tends to talk like if he was a misunderstood artist when he is basically producing AAA games.

Come on Kojima, try smaller innovative games. Fuck Hollywood actors. Put your head to think about gameplay innovation.

Hugare

That's...Battle Royale. The genre he criticized about a year ago.

DifficultFeminineDeer-max-1mb.gif
Dude, your Battle Royale / multiplayer fanatism is kinda sad at this point, honestly

Playing Fortnite in Brazil or the UK, I'll still play it with obnoxious children and have the same experience

It has nothing to do with the topic at hand and what Kojima is trying to say.

On topic: Kojima loves to smell his own farts.

Loved Death Stranding, but "first strand game" and all that was just bullshit

_Ex_

I once read in an interview with Kojima, back in the '80s he wanted to make a game where when your character died the game's floppy would erase itself. For some reason Konami said no.

Plantoid

I'm getting black mirror vibes here, that episode where they've got the Ai terror game that adapts to the user fears

Top Bottom