• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima announces Death Stranding Director's Cut for PS5

Audiophile

Gold Member
Adaptive Triggers will be absolutely killer for this with the walking mechanics. Haptics too; I'd like to feel the rope between my left and right hands as I ascend/descend; or the grab of the ladder. The feeling of grass, rock or water; the sense of weight and resistance in the case of the latter especially. This game has the greatest potential for conveying weight to the player through haptics, controller/3d-audio and trigger effects. It's a game about "the struggle" and I'd like to feel it in my hands.

A good implementation of 3D audio would be great for navigating the BTs as well..

Last edited:

Aggelos

So, who cut the original?

I guess that was "the Sony Cut"...

S9eei.gif

So now it's time to get the director's true vision on PS5... i.e. Death Stranding Director's Cut.

Last edited:
Part of me was expecting Hideo Kojima to reveal his brand new game - the "scariest horror game" - but then I remember he tweeted about it almost two years ago which likely isn't enough time to show anything. Especially if he and his team are also working on porting Death Stranding to the PS5. So I guess we will see it at E3 2022.

rofif

Banned
I guess that was "the Sony Cut"...

S9eei.gif

So not it's time to get the director's true vision on PS5... i.e. Death Stranding Director's Cut.
That's not so strange. Usually movies have to be cut for international market mandated by the studio.
Then DC comes out which sometimes is worse because someone had to control the director. Like Donnie Darko. the DC is terrible and misses the point of whole movie :p

In case of Death Stranding, we were under impressions that sony gave all the freedom to Kojima... maybe apparently not ?

yurinka

So is Kojima part of their PlayStation studios?
No, it's a 2nd party studio. Which means Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director's Cut are PlayStation Studios games.

Idk, from the read, Kojima hinted that 'traditional' games are off his menu.

'no more like the past, no more one step a time' - sounds like he is going episodic.
In a previous interview he specified that in the future he'd like to make some smaller games, a manga, a mecha anime and a movie. He didn't say anything about episodic games.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
No, it's a 2nd party studio. Which means Death Stranding and Death Stranding Director's Cut are PlayStation Studios games.

In a previous interview he specified that in the future he'd like to make some smaller games, a manga, a mecha anime and a movie. He didn't say anything about episodic games.
Sony also owns the ip

Skifi28

I get excited every time this get bumped. I don't know why, but I feel the dualsense was built for this and GT7.

kyliethicc

Eh? A cut is a version, not what was taken out. Not sure what Hideo is smoking
He's just trying to say that the new stuff in DS DC for PS5 was not cut from the 2019 PS4 version.

That its all new content that was created after the original game had already shipped.

Shmunter

He's just trying to say that the new stuff in DS DC for PS5 was not cut from the 2019 PS4 version.

That its all new content that was created after the original game had already shipped.
Yeah he is saying it.

However a Directors Cut can be whatever the directors vision is, not limited to previously dropped content. Can be a rearrangement, can drop things, add things, change things.

Directors Cut is correct assuming the director is responsible for the thing. His premise is odd.

ZywyPL

Banned
Slightly more accurate version of what he actually said.

I kind of feel him, Extended Edition would be a more fitting name that sounds better, with more positive reception, like something was in fact added to the game (same for upcoming GoT), while Director's Cut does associate with the fact that the OG version was rushed and the director could't fully sell his full vision, which is later released on DVD/BD. Especially recently with Snyder's cut and all the drama around it.

kyliethicc

Yeah he is saying it.

However a Directors Cut can be whatever the directors vision is, not limited to previously dropped content. Can be a rearrangement, can drop things, add things, change things.

Directors Cut is correct assuming the director is responsible for the thing. His premise is odd.
I kind of feel him, Extended Edition would be a more fitting name that sounds better, with more positive reception, like something was in fact added to the game (same for upcoming GoT), while Director's Cut does associate with the fact that the OG version was rushed and the director could't fully sell his full vision, which is later released on DVD/BD. Especially recently with Snyder's cut and all the drama around it.

Yeah. Peter Jackson said the Extended Editions of The Lord of the Rings films are NOT "Director's Cuts" because the theatrical releases are the director (Peter Jackson)'s cuts. He said his preferred edit was just the original film released in theaters and the extended cuts were just made for fans to enjoy more scenes.

Kojima is saying the same thing here, sorta. He's pointing out that the original release was fully his vision. And therefore the term Director's Cut is a bit misleading. Oh well. Its just a dumb marketing term for a remaster+DLC anyway.

YCoCg

So the thing peoples were blaming Kojima for callin this a "Director's Cut" was actually Sony's fault all along.

Top Bottom