• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush Was a "Break Out Hit" For Xbox, Says Aaron Greenberg

Ozriel

M$FT
That's not a great example as its entirely possible for additional content production to be baked into the production pipeline in advance.

Generally speaking the timing of release/announcement for such product is the key.

If its all close to release window (e.g. RE4R) then chances are it was pre-planned as an adjunct to the primary offer; if its announced soon after but the additional content takes months to actually become publicly available (e.g. REVIII) then it says that performance likely exceeded expectation because its evident that their ability to capitalize was delayed due to production limitations.

If however neither is announced, then its evidence that post-release a decision was made to apportion production resources elsewhere.

Well, at least it's received quite decent post-launch support.

Photo Mode added in March, and then multiple QOL features added a week ago.

FrankWza

I didn’t say there would be. But this game wouldn’t move the needle for GamePass or the charts on its current platforms. Best to take in as much cash as possible and get praise on all platforms.

Microsoft won’t dig themself out of third place. That ship has sailed.

Their moves into becoming a service through cloud and other means seems the wisest thing for them, it plays into their strength.

They are having to spend over $70b on assets just to be competing with PlayStation on revenue. Playing Sony at their game hasn’t worked for them. That’s why we are seeing the drastic moves. It’s far less drastic to release the smaller games from their purchased publishers on lots of platforms and make more money.
When the sale went through I remember commenting about tango being the real loss from a PS perspective, especially because of Mikami. At that point he was making public comments about moving on and possibly retiring so it really wasn't going to matter long term.
But yes, totally. From a PS standpoint that part of zeni makes sense to be ported to Nintendo and or Playstation. But you will just be accused of port begging or the usual put GoW on xbox comment. There's no question hifi rush would have sold some copies there. Curious to see where he ends up because I don't think he retired.

Topher

Gold Member
I think you mean 3rd party sales, which MS gets a cut. That sale in included in overall revenue.
First party revenue is tied to how much console they sell.

PS4 game ratio sale was less than 1/5th of the lifetime console.

I'm talking about the ratio of Game Pass revenue to overall game revenue. Phil Spencer expects it to remain as it is at 15% of total game revenue. 85% of revenue is coming from non-subscription revenue meaning game sales, microtransactions, etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
While the ratio will remain the same according to Phil Spencer and sales will continue to be a huge part of Microsoft's gaming revenue.

Depends. You have to imagine Activision content + the expected ramp up of AAA games from their expanded first party setup is bound to be an inflection point.

feynoob

Banned
I'm talking about the ratio of Game Pass revenue to overall game revenue. Phil Spencer expects it to remain as it is at 15% of total game revenue. 85% of revenue is coming from non-subscription revenue meaning game sales, microtransactions, etc.
Which is corelated to their console sales.
They wont be able to maintain that ratio, if they dont increase their overall console sales.

Gamepass at 25m is already doing 15% of their revenue.

mnkl13

Put it on PS....feels like a PS game anyway.

It would probably sell like crazy. They would get their "user engagement" from Gamepass players and they would "get dat MONEY" from PS players.
Or it wouldn't....because PS players would see this as a "ewww why would I pay for a game that's free on gamepass...gross".

Just test the waters.

Do the same thing they are going to do with CoD. They need PS players for CoD to be successful, just start doing that now.

Fuck...just start selling software...forget about your console.

feels like a sega game

Topher

Gold Member
Depends. You have to imagine Activision content + the expected ramp up of AAA games from their expanded first party setup is bound to be an inflection point.

We will see. I'm just repeating what Phil Spencer has said.

Which is corelated to their console sales.
They wont be able to maintain that ratio, if they dont increase their overall console sales.

Gamepass at 25m is already doing 15% of their revenue.

Game Pass is on PC as well, dude. Phil Spencer said PC game pass has grown while console Game Pass has slowed down. If you think Phil Spencer is just wrong about all this then that is fine. I'm just repeating what Phil Spencer has said.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Real numbers would be

- Game sales on PC + Xbox consoles
- Number of GamePass subscriptions added since the game launched
- Number of downloads (only counting one device once, NO re-downloads)

They don't do that: it's all hidden
Netflix lost subscribers after releasing the latest season of Stranger Things. Does that mean it was a huge flop even though it was the most watched English language show on the service ever?

feynoob

Banned
Game Pass is on PC as well, dude. Phil Spencer said PC game pass has grown while console Game Pass has slowed down. If you think Phil Spencer is just wrong about all this then that is fine. I'm just repeating what Phil Spencer has said.
The thing you need to understand is that gamepass reached these numbers with minimal support from their first party and low console sales.

PC is going to increase alot after starfield and activision deal gets approved.

Console gamepass is tied to console sales + new xbox users. And those who are willing to sub to gamepass. Currently, there are 50+m Xbox consoles. And less than 35% of that is subbed to gamepass

feynoob

Banned
Wow.... who knew that a measly .10 would be worth THAT much!

(real talk....holy shit that is a lot of bank from gaming revenue)
Roblox has kids. and is available on mobile, pc and xbox. The amount of MTX there is alot.

You can make money from that game, by making your own game inside of that game.

Kvally

Banned
Greenberg is the guy who said all Xbox first party games would be 60fps standard, so...
Stop It No Way GIF by Naughty Dog

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The thing you need to understand is that gamepass reached these numbers with minimal support from their first party and low console sales.

PC is going to increase alot after starfield and activision deal gets approved.

Console gamepass is tied to console sales + new xbox users. And those who are willing to sub to gamepass. Currently, there are 50+m Xbox consoles. And less than 35% of that is subbed to gamepass

And you need to understand that if Microsoft believes no more than 15% of their revenue will come from subscriptions then that means they absolutely care about game sales.

CamHostage

Someone's lying about this game and I can't tell who.

Maybe, and I don't personally seek Grubb posts as a source of truth, but...

The weird thing about the rumor mill is that both things can be true, depending on who's getting their info from whom (or in this case, who is talking. ) You can hear all kinds of things from people in a position of knowledge that ultimately do not happen that way, or that somebody is happy about numbers that somebody else is pissed about. You can have stories circulate the office or elsewhere about your own department which would usually come only from you yet they came from somewhere else nobody asked you if they are correct; maybe you don't even know if they're correct because your boss's boss thinks differentlythan you do about your department. Talk moves around in strange ways.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I gotta keep it a buck. Unless they wanted to sell like 100,000 units, and maybe wanted 300,000 at most Gamepass downloads, then I don’t see how the game was a success for every metric.

It got good critic reviews and user praise, but the only people in the know are the most niche gaming nerds.

The same guy who would hear about Devil May Cry, Call of Duty, God of War, etc through usual channels probably doesn’t have this on their radar.

So I kind of have to call bull shit.

feynoob

Banned
And you need to understand that if Microsoft believes no more than 15% of their revenue will come from subscriptions then that means they absolutely care about game sales.
But those include 3rd party cut, which makes up majority of their sales.

Ozriel

M$FT
I gotta keep it a buck. Unless they wanted to sell like 100,000 units, and maybe wanted 300,000 at most Gamepass downloads, then I don’t see how the game was a success for every metric.

You know it had over 2 million players?

And even the most conservative Steam owner estimates has it at at least triple your estimate on Steam alone?

tmlDan

MS isn’t taking shit from “insiders” with YouTuhe podcasts anymore.

Just because that's true, doesn't mean they're doing a good job.

I'd say MS is pretty bad at marketing as a whole, especially with their games.

No more of these mountain dew logos, master chief donuts or whatever else they do. Sony is so much better at it, they do global activations, experiential experiences, they have a large online presence and build partnerships with adjacent organizations that will help their brand (aka champions league)

I am not sure if they need to switch to another agency partner but I know they're currently working with McCann as a creative agency and the last big push they made was at launch when they did those floating series x consoles but it did not connect well with the rest of their media. Ever since then they haven't done much, you look at how Sony has their experiential Axe in the ground which is surrounded by large digital boards and aligns with their TV and digital ads. It's just so much more cohesive and consistent.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Put it on PS....feels like a PS game anyway.

It would probably sell like crazy. They would get their "user engagement" from Gamepass players and they would "get dat MONEY" from PS players.
Or it wouldn't....because PS players would see this as a "ewww why would I pay for a game that's free on gamepass...gross".

Just test the waters.

Do the same thing they are going to do with CoD. They need PS players for CoD to be successful, just start doing that now.

Fuck...just start selling software...forget about your console.
What a, Yikes!, Yuck, That was F'n gross!, post.

Do better boy 'o!

fallingdove

I dont see why Greenberg would lie. If they had expectations, they would have marketed it and not shadowdropped it. I think it did well, word of mouth was great, and im not in the xbox circle of influence and people were talking about it enough for me to hear about it a lot.
Lol. Cause he is the fucking VP of marketing. His sole responsibility is to make Xbox and Xbox games look as good as possible.

I haven’t gotten around to playing it yet (backlog too intense). It’s probably a good to great game but it definitely didn’t set the charts on fire. Microsoft wouldn’t have slept on marketing the shit out of “hottest new game”, “play the game everyone has been talking about”, over “3 million copies sold”, etc. Instead we got “The game met all of our internal metrics…”

Last edited:
Jeff doesn't have an insider to the sales of MS games.

Neither do VG Chartz but that didn't stop Aaron from quote-tweeting them.

The attempts at replacing me with an AI are amusing and laughable.

They shared the players milestone already. Had artwork and everything.

Why didn't Aaron mention it being a "breakout hit" and meeting "key metrics" at that time? Why wait until Jeff Grubb said otherwise?

Real numbers would be

- Game sales on PC + Xbox consoles
- Number of GamePass subscriptions added since the game launched
- Number of downloads (only counting one device once, NO re-downloads)

They don't do that: it's all hidden

Exactly. And, these are the types of numbers actual 3P publishers would want to know if they were ever considering adding bigger games to a service like Game Pass Day 1. But MS obfuscates all of these, for a service that is supposedly profitable and successful.

Like someone else in the thread said, even Netflix share their revenue and sub gained/loss numbers every quarter, and key viewership metrics for hit series. Microsoft wants to boast they're the "Netflix of gaming" but don't even have the confidence to do this similar reporting for Game Pass. It can only signal that Game Pass metrics actual shareholders and other businesses would care about, aren't looking so hot.

Search his post history. He was every bit as critical to Sony starting off this gen and about 2 years into it.

And there are some things I said then I regret saying now, with what I've learned since.

Like my TLOU Part 2 takes. Can admit those were childish and wrong. Don't think I'm going to look back on the Halo Infinite takes and consider them childish or wrong two years from now, though. That game had all the chances and tools to succeed, and there's never been a case of a live-service FPS becoming as irrelevant as Infinite only to explode in popularity years later.

It's literally never happened and I doubt Halo Infinite would be the first game to break that trend.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
If not just someone but Greenberg saying this then it definitely bombed.
Here's an idea: since it sounds like you have hard data concerning the success metrics of Hi Fi Rush (and not the actual Microsoft employee who has worked for said company for an era or two....) why don't you share the truth of it with all of us? We all now Gaf is where the REAL, accurate info is. Lay it on us, big boy!

Legit holding my breath! This should be interesting....

So you’re saying he was radicalized just last year?

Radicalized? 🤣

Seeing MS go after a giant publisher in ABK after just getting Zenimax, then seeing that acquisition wasn't even really about Xbox specifically. Seeing their partnership with Sega for Azure and thinking it was going to mean some exclusive Sega games like back in the OG Xbox days, but was really just so they could have a big Japanese 3P gaming client for cloud. Seeing Series X continuously lose in performance metrics against the "weaker" PS5, time and again. Seeing Series S languish in demand and start getting pricing promotions in the middle of summer of all times, which was very unusual for something supposedly in demand. Realizing Xbox's only actual console exclusives were trash games like Crossfire X and Space Jam. Seeing Microsoft completely give up getting big 3P releases for Game Pass in 2022 to make up for their anemic release schedule. Seeing them delay RedFall and Starfield, then demoing Starfield to muted applause with bad gameplay footage and "hyping" it up with bloat like 1K planets.

Seeing MS's increasingly extremist, politicized rhetoric around getting the ABK deal approved, insulting regulators, pushing FUD against Sony and their flock of shills in the media shout loudly with even more FUD and vitriol against PlayStation for no good reason. Seeing Microsoft spam Game Pass for Samsung TV ads at The Game Awards instead of actual games, while having virtually no games in the running for any awards...again. And more recently, seeing RedFall almost drop dead out of the gate with mediocre gameplay, and MS not caring about their own Xbox fanbase to ensure they get ports of games like Ghostwire with at least technical parity to the PS5 version on Series X.

Anyone watching what Microsoft's been doing over the past year or so with close focus could see this developing and, if they really otherwise respect Xbox as a brand (historically) and know what its potential could be in the right hands, would have gone from optimism to pessimism for the brand by now. You call that "radicalization", sure. I call it seeing reality for what it is and voicing some real criticism for a brand that by all accounts should be doing a lot better.

But go on, keep pretending everything is "just fine" for Xbox while the mansion burns to the ground in slow-motion. Whenever you want to actually acknowledge the fire so that maybe we can put it out with some fire extinguishers, I'm ready 😀👍

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Grubb gets shit wrong... so I wouldn't be surprised. Like why would Grubb have any actual sources or info on what the actual higher ups at MS are thinking. Unless his source nadella himself.

That being said...

People here stanning Greenberg including the person who quoted me is absolutely hilarious. The dude is a console warrior who just happens to work for MS... he definitely has said many many many dumb things and talks utter shit. All games are 1080p if you have a 1080p TV or something like that, can't remember the dull quote, that is the things this guy says.

As to agree with what many people are saying here, unless MS themselves come out and show numbers then it's hard to believe anyone is actually telling the truth here. MS are wizzards at spinning things in their favor and Grubb again as been wrong often sooooo yeah maybe don't die on a hill defending something you have no idea on nor does anyone else

Bernardougf

Gold Member
GAF after an off-the-cuff comment in the middle of a 2 hour long podcast from someone who's been known to get details wrong on the regular:

Believe Democratic Party GIF by The Democrats

GAF after the report is refuted by an actual VP that works for Microsoft:

You Lie Harry Potter GIF by Sky
Is more like .. jeff grubb ?? Fuck no ..

MS PR (and without any data provided) ???? FUUUUCK NO ....

Trusting ms pr at this point is basically the same of trusting me spreading fud

No, I care about having a quality console/product. You care more about console wars and defending a company that doesn't know you exist.
MS going 3rd party means we have only one "high end" console manufacturer. Historically speaking that usually means doom for the consumer regardless of industry. I don't want to live in a world where Sony takes their foot off the gas and prices rise even more. Nobody wins.

Kvally

Banned
Neither do VG Chartz but that didn't stop Aaron from quote-tweeting them.

The attempts at replacing me with an AI are amusing and laughable.

Why didn't Aaron mention it being a "breakout hit" and meeting "key metrics" at that time? Why wait until Jeff Grubb said otherwise?

Exactly. And, these are the types of numbers actual 3P publishers would want to know if they were ever considering adding bigger games to a service like Game Pass Day 1. But MS obfuscates all of these, for a service that is supposedly profitable and successful.

Like someone else in the thread said, even Netflix share their revenue and sub gained/loss numbers every quarter, and key viewership metrics for hit series. Microsoft wants to boast they're the "Netflix of gaming" but don't even have the confidence to do this similar reporting for Game Pass. It can only signal that Game Pass metrics actual shareholders and other businesses would care about, aren't looking so hot.

And there are some things I said then I regret saying now, with what I've learned since.

Like my TLOU Part 2 takes. Can admit those were childish and wrong. Don't think I'm going to look back on the Halo Infinite takes and consider them childish or wrong two years from now, though. That game had all the chances and tools to succeed, and there's never been a case of a live-service FPS becoming as irrelevant as Infinite only to explode in popularity years later.

It's literally never happened and I doubt Halo Infinite would be the first game to break that trend.
Aaron is still a douche though. I never claimed otherwise. Grubb is a super douche.

Top Bottom