• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush | Review Thread

anthony2690

Banned
Aren’t the reviews of corporate outlets a little null since the consumer already reviewed it.
Imagine a world where all games are shadow dropped and the consumer reviews it completely sending “journalism” review scores the way of the dinosaurs.
This would be pretty cool, we would be back at a time when people actually played games for themselves and word of mouth spread for games people loved.

Makes me think of simpler times like the McDonald's thps demo etc.

clarky

Gold Member
Disregarding the positive reviews for a sec, Its good this game dropped in the hands of gamers before the reviewers got their fingers on it. They tend to soil the rep of games with some more than often faulty assessments which deters most gamers from giving a game a proper chance. Very, very few bother to give a game a chance, even if it might look remotely interesting to them, after its been sullied by the opinions of the "renowned" gaming media "experts".

This time around, gamers got to assess it for themselves without any prior influence.
Agreed, and for a change us gamers get to tell reviewers what to like. lol. All the positive vibes (both on the internet and in game) are bound to push the scores up a bit.

Refreshing to say the least.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you compare it to character action games it's simple.

If you compare it to your standard action/adventure game it's complex enough.

So it depends on how you want to categorise it.
Nope you are complete wrong here. It has just as many moves and mechanics as any of those games you have mentioned.
It just doesn’t give you everything in the first stage.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Less weapons. But its on par with any action game. Its kept intentionally simplified at times because the rhythm aspect makes it more complicated
Weapons are replaced by the character attacks which can also be upgraded and get move moves for which those other games don’t have. I don’t want to spoil it for people so I won’t go into it too much detail.

This would be pretty cool, we would be back at a time when people actually played games for themselves and word of mouth spread for games people loved.

Makes me think of simpler times like the McDonald's thps demo etc.
Absolutely, I haven’t paid attention to a review score since Clinton was in office.
I figured out a long time ago I don’t need a group of paid personnel to sway me in any direction.

GHG

Nope you are complete wrong here. It has just as many moves and mechanics as any of those games you have mentioned.
It just doesn’t give you everything in the first stage.

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

You guys are trying too hard. Since you want to tell me I'm "wrong" how about you count up everything here on these respective lists and tell me what the results are:

https://prodigygamers.com/2023/01/27/hi-fi-rush-all-combo-list-keybind-special-attacks/

https://bayonetta.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Combo_Attacks

https://gamewith.net/devil-may-cry-5/article/show/8164

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

You guys are trying too hard. Since you want to tell me I'm "wrong" how about you count up everything here on these respective lists and tell me what the results are:

https://prodigygamers.com/2023/01/27/hi-fi-rush-all-combo-list-keybind-special-attacks/

I can’t tell you everything without spoiling the game but yeah there is just as many combos ground , air, juggles, grapples , and character assisted.

The problem here is you obviously haven’t played it enough to know.

GHG

I can’t tell you everything without spoiling the game but yeah there is just as many combos ground , air, juggles, grapples , and character assisted.

The problem here is you obviously haven’t played it enough to know.

So now you want to stick your fingers in your ears?

The list I linked is everything available in the game.

If this ends up being your gateway into character action games then congratulations.

anthony2690

Banned
Well I'm seeing people try to compare this to bayonetta and DMC. If you compare the move list of HiFi rush to those games it pales in comparison.

We get it, DMCV & Bayonetta have more moves.

I love bayonetta 1, not so much 2, not played 3 and I loved DMCV.

I can understand the comparisons, it has combo mechanics and more mechanics unlock as you progress, combos, parrying, grapplehook & ranking system for combat & you buy new moves like in DMC & bayonetta etc.

I'd personally say the game is a platforming, rhythm, DMC inspired game, with a hint of space channel 5. (The parry patterns that some enemies do, when it shows you the parry timing prior)

I'm personally enjoying this game more.

I wish DMCV had better levels after the first one (demo one) I need to go back and play the Vergil dlc at some point soon though.

GHG

We get it, DMCV & Bayonetta have more moves.

You do, some other people clearly don't though.

I love bayonetta 1, not so much 2, not played 3 and I loved DMCV.

I can understand the comparisons, it has combo mechanics and more mechanics unlock as you progress, combos, parrying, grapplehook & ranking system for combat & you buy new moves like in DMC & bayonetta etc.

I'd personally say the game is a platforming, rhythm, DMC inspired game, with a hint of space channel 5. (The parry patterns that some enemies do, when it shows you the parry timing prior)

I'm personally enjoying this game more.

I wish DMCV had better levels after the first one (demo one) I need to go back and play the Vergil dlc at some point soon though.

I can also see the combat has clearly been inspired by stuff like DMC and Bayonetta and I'd go as far to say that if someone is looking to get into character action games then I'd recommend Hi Fi Rush as a starting point. Everything a player learns while playing this game can be carried over to those games and then some.

Fighting games and character action games are essentially rhythm games without the music anyway, everything hinges around the timing of inputs.

For what it's worth I'm also having more fun with this than I had with DMC5. Bayonetta is a massive step above though.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

If this ends up being your gateway into character action games then congratulations.
A long combo list is not really a great way to measure if a game is an action game or not. Sekiro has a shorter list than both of these. Most Bayonetta combos are the same 10 strings on each weapon. Its important how the game feels, and the core addition of rhythm to the combat system is the big advancement.

If you don't like it then fine. The issue is you trying to tell everyone else they're not allowed to think this is a real action game. You dont get to dictate that. I played Bayonetta 3. I played every major action game. This is comparable with any major action game. Easily.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Have you played through the game and unlocked all the combos? Mastered all the combo starters?

You are comparing old games that people have played to death to a new game that you obviously haven’t played through to really know much. 🤷‍♂️

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

I didn't count but it felt like I was scrolling for longer on Bayo and DMC. 😆

Saying that, HFR has deffo got a very robust combat system and it's up there with the best character action games for me in fucn and execution but I'm not a hard-core as fook player...I can deffo hang though.

anthony2690

Banned
You do, some other people clearly don't though.

I can also see the combat has clearly been inspired by stuff like DMC and Bayonetta and I'd go as far to say that if someone is looking to get into character action games then I'd recommend Hi Fi Rush as a starting point. Everything a player learns while playing this game can be carried over to those games and then some.

Fighting games and character action games are essentially rhythm games without the music anyway, everything hinges around the timing of inputs.

For what it's worth I'm also having more fun with this than I had with DMC5. Bayonetta is a massive step above though.
I'm glad you're having fun with the game too. :)

I was a little worried about the rhythm aspect with the game myself, but I have a that little bar on at the bottom of the screen and I hit around 60+% average what I'm happy with, but hopefully I'll get better with the rhythm aspect as I play more on harder difficulties etc.

My execution on fighting games is excellent though. (Except characters where you hold buttons, like Carl Clover & Arakune from blazblue series, playing finger twister on my controller just makes my hands ache) XD

GHG

A long combo list is not really a great way to measure if a game is an action game or not. Sekiro has a shorter list than both of these. Most Bayonetta combos are the same 10 strings on each weapon. Its important how the game feels, and the core addition of rhythm to the combat system is the big advancement.

If you don't like it then fine. The issue is you trying to tell everyone else they're not allowed to think this is a real action game. You dont get to dictate that. I played Bayonetta 3. I played every major action game. This is comparable with any major action game. Easily.

Unfortunately for you I've expressed my feelings on this game in a post above with someone who is capable of having a grounded discussion about games without the need to reach for hyperbole. Your assumptions on my opinions on the game are wrong as are your assertions that it shares complexity with games like DMC and Bayonetta. The depth quite simply isn't there, that's something that is easily quantifiable as well, but I'll not let that get in the way of your feelings.

Sekiro is not a character action game either by the way, it stands alone as it's own thing despite also being rhythmic in nature.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Unfortunately for you I've expressed my feelings on this game in a post above with someone who is capable of having a grounded discussion about games without the need to reach for hyperbole. Your assumptions on my opinions on the game are wrong as are your assertions that it shares complexity with games like DMC and Bayonetta. The depth quite simply isn't there, that's something that is easily quantifiable as well, but I'll not let that get in the way of your feelings.

Sekiro is not a character action game either by the way, it stands alone as it's own thing despite also being rhythmic in nature.
My feelings lol? Okayyyyy. You get really weirdly arrogant sometimes. Maybe just stop telling others what they are allowed to think. You can have your own opinion and argue it without belittling others that have played more of the game than you. Your own opinion can be whatever you want.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
My feelings lol? Okayyyyy. You get really weirdly arrogant sometimes. Maybe just stop telling others what they are allowed to think. You can have your own opinion and argue it without belittling others that have played more of the game than you. Your own opinion can be whatever you want.
He is basically saying one Shinji Mikami game is better than another because he knows more about it. 😂

Ozriel

M$FT
Absolutely, I haven’t paid attention to a review score since Clinton was in office.
I figured out a long time ago I don’t need a group of paid personnel to sway me in any direction.

This would be a good way of going about things…if we were back In the days of pre-launch demos for every big game.

As it stands, reviews are pretty much now the main way you can get an indication of game quality before you spend money…since reviewers get the game ahead of release.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He is basically saying one Shinji Mikami game is better than another because he knows more about it. 😂
Its just weird. God Hand is an action game also. Not every game is just a list of combos. The original DMC had more exploration and platforming before they just only focused on adding combos in the sequels. This adds an additional layer of complexity over the entire combat system with the rhythm requirement that doesn't exist in Bayonetta. They're both great action games. But of course there's always these constant attempts to downplay this particular game.

Last edited:

sainraja

Comparing these games based on move lists is one of the most bizarre attempts at downplaying yet; bayonetta is my favourite game of all time and this game lights the same spark of joy, who gives a flying fuck there's 3 billion moves in one game and fewer in the other holy shit.
He wasn't downplaying the game lol. He was simply pointing out something based on what **others** were saying and using a metric/point of reference that can be observed/compared, to support his point. He didn't mention the other games, the others did; so if you truly believe "who gives a flying fuck there's 3 billion moves in one game vs the other" then perhaps don't feel the need to knock/equalize this to the other games, when BOTH type of games can be enjoyed? OR if you do, don't be offended if someone does point out or say "well, not exactly".

He's kinda making the point you are. You can enjoy this game without saying it is the same as, or is more so, then A, B, C. Some of you are really like sitting on the edge and waiting to get offended. Like, how dare someone say anything opposite of what you may believe.

EDIT x3 lol, but anyway, I came here to share my opinion but got sidetracked, obviously. I am liking the game and it is pretty fun for the type of game it is. I know I shouldn't say this because it might equally trigger the hive, but it is good to see people on the Xbox side enjoying a game that also stops you from time to time, for "cinematics", has a lot of "talking", and some walking as well (;)) etc etc. Sure, you might enjoy this over that, but others might enjoy that, which is sometimes downplayed by some folks. Anyway, variety is good. Learn to enjoy different things!

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
so if you truly believe "who gives a flying fuck there's 3 billion moves in one game vs the other" then perhaps don't feel the knock the other games when comparing them to this when BOTH type of games can be enjoyed?
When did I compare anything to anything?
It's a braindead comparison to make if you want to reduce it to move lists, especially since the most effective way to play character action game is to just use a small selection of powerful attacks, heck the objectively "best" way to play let's say ninja gaiden, is to abuse essence charge loops, not to go through ryu's 1000 move combo list every encounter, you'll get fucking destroyed playing that way, so who gives a fuck how many moves are in the list of one game vs another, such a comparison only serves to downplay the praise and can only be made argue for the sake of arguing.

This game is fucking sublime, combat included; doesn't take away how magnificent bayonetta is either, get over it, move on.

sainraja

When did I compare anything to anything?
I wasn't saying you said anything but you were responding to the bigger conversation happening overall when saying "Comparing these games based on move lists is one of the most bizarre attempts at downplaying yet", so I was simply clarifying that there was a reason the conversation went in that direction. It wasn't to downplay the game. If anything, I did group you with the others based on your comment...which maybe I shouldn't have.

It's a braindead comparison to make if you want to reduce it to move lists, especially since the most effective way to play character action game is to just use a small selection of powerful attacks, heck the objectively "best" way to play let's say ninja gaiden, is to abuse essence charge loops, not to go through ryu's 1000 move combo list every encounter, you'll get fucking destroyed playing that way, so who gives a fuck how many moves are in the list of one game vs another, such a comparison only serves to downplay the praise and can only be made argue for the sake of arguing.
Sure, but there was a reason it was brought up. If Person A states that game A has the same depth as game B, Person B can come in and say, well that is not the case. I am simplifying the conversation a little bit, but that is kinda where it was at.

This game is fucking sublime, combat included; doesn't take away how magnificent bayonetta is either, get over it, move on.
I don't think anyone was saying otherwise. The comment on move set wasn't a knock on Hi-Fi Rush or its enjoyment.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The comment on move set wasn't a knock on Hi-Fi Rush or it's enjoyment.
Of course it is. Been happening since the game came out.

Youre allowed to like it, but you can't claim its a GOTY candidate. Too early.
Youre allowed to like it, but you can't claim its anything other than a training wheels baby action game that can never be compared to the real action games.

Its all downplaying and coping. And its not like it's just their own opinion. Its trying to dictate what other people are allowed to say.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Just finished it, amazing game. It definitely deserves all the 9s and 10s it's getting. I expect it to be a 90+ MC ad OC game after all the reviews have been added.

acm2000

some people clearly need to increase their dosage of copium, even better is the fact there will be, somewhere, a ps5 version of this sat there unfinished forever.

i dont even own an xbox, but xbox games are for everyone be it pc, xbox, mobile phones or browsers via cloud, stop getting your knickers in a twist.

GHG

Comparing these games based on move lists is one of the most bizarre attempts at downplaying yet; bayonetta is my favourite game of all time and this game lights the same spark of joy, who gives a flying fuck there's 3 billion moves in one game and fewer in the other holy shit.

Nah I'm not downplaying the game, I was having a discussion with someone explaining why someone might deem the combat mechanics in this game to be "simple" (the reviewers words, not mine). At first glance it seems bizarre but when coming at it from an angle of comparing it to the best character action games around it makes sense. It just doesn't have the depth or complexity that the other games mentioned have.

But this is what happens when people insist on comparing games instead of judging them on their own individual merits. Hi Fi Rush is doing things that no other games out there are doing and it should be credited for that, not this nonsense of it's DMC, it's bayonetta, it's this game, it's that's game its everything to everyone. Its just not. It takes inspiration from a number of things and puts it's own unique spin on it and it's fantastic because of that.

Youre allowed to like it, but you can't claim its anything other than a training wheels baby action game that can never be compared to the real action games.

Its all downplaying and coping. And its not like it's just their own opinion. Its trying to dictate what other people are allowed to say.

Get a grip man. Always the victim. Punished by nature, punished by name.

Last edited:

sachos

Super happy for this game and Tango Gameworks going into the future, they have potential to become one of the most important MS devs specially since they are the only Japanese ones right? Although i would like to push back a little on the notion that this is a "small Gamecube era game", that was my original impression too but im reading this started development in 2017 so it definitely took longer to make than i expected.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nah I'm not downplaying the game, I was having a discussion with someone explaining why someone might deem the combat mechanics in this game to be "simple" (the reviewers words, not mine). At first glance it seems bizarre but when coming at it from an angle of comparing it to the best character action games around it makes sense. It just doesn't have the depth or complexity that the other games mentioned.

But this is what happens when people insist on comparing games instead of judging them on their own individual merits. Hi Fi Rush is doing things that no other games out there are doing and it should be credited for that, not this nonsense of it's DMC, it's bayonetta, it's this game, it's that's game its everything to everyone. Its just not. It takes inspiration from a number of things and puts it's own unique spin on it and it's fantastic because of that.

Get a grip man. Always the victim. Punished by nature, punished by name.
I have a grip. I just know how this works on here. Certain opinions get deemed "outside the bounds of normal opinion." Then no one says it except a handful of people who get laugh emoji spam. People should be able to say whatever their opinion on the game is. Period. If people think its comparable to Bayonetta, thats not a fringe opinion. I just beat Bayonetta 3 2 months ago.

Your summary was literally telling everyone they can't claim its on par with Bayonetta or "the best action games." You're doing exactly what I claimed you were doing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Who is dictating what others are allowed to say? I'm not seeing that in this thread at all.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Who is dictating what others are allowed to say? I'm not seeing that in this thread at all.
Im not re-explaining things. I did that 10x yesterday and got a 3 point warning. Multiple other people saw it. Read back if you want. Its literally right above you. Certain positive opinions about this game are "nonsense." Those opinions can't be rational.

GHG

I have a grip. I just know how this works on here. Certain opinions get deemed "outside the bounds of normal opinion." Then no one says it except a handful of people who get laugh emoji spam. People should be able to say whatever their opinion on the game is. Period. If people think its comparable to Bayonetta, thats not a fringe opinion. I just beat Bayonetta 3 2 months ago.

Considering you're being sensitive about reaction emojis I'm not sure you do have a grip in all honesty.

I don't think this is in any way comparable to bayonetta or DMC, I've explained why. Complexity is very much a staple of the character action subgenre. Tough titty.

You'll just have to deal with it unfortunately, especially since the game is in everyone's hands and those who have played those other games can see for themselves how they differ. I'll be glad if all this sudden talk of DMC and bayonetta results in more people playing them.

Me apparently but I'm the one who was told they are "wrong" when stating something in this thread. Funny that.

Im not re-explaining things. I did that 10x yesterday and got a 3 point warning. Multiple other people saw it. Read back if you want. Its literally right above you. Certain positive opinions about this game are "nonsense." Those opinions can't be rational.

Yep, punished indeed.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Nah, looks like a simple disagreement on complexity of the combat when compared to other games. No one is dictating opinions here. Hell....how would they even do that? Makes no sense at all.

Gambit2483

Nah, looks like a simple disagreement on complexity of the combat when compared to other games. No one is dictating opinions here. Hell....how would they even do that? Makes no sense at all.
These games are both similar yet very different in their own respective ways. There's no need to try to directly compare them.

They both open up to a much more complex and deep system as your progress but the parameters of scoring are different.

Getting an "S" rank in Hi Fi Rush is just as hard as getting a "Platinum" rank in Bayonetta (under similar difficulty settings).

Ultimately both games are high quality, fun action games. I don't see why we can't all agree to this single concept.

Topher

Gold Member
These games are both similar yet very different in their own respective ways. There's no need to try to directly compare them.

They both open up to a much more complex and deep system as your progress but the parameters of scoring are different.

Getting an "S" rank in Hi Fi Rush is just as hard as getting a "Platinum" rank in Bayonetta (under similar difficulty settings).

I see no reason not to make comparisons in the ways they are similar though. I think back to Psychonauts 2 and R&C. Both have platforming aspects but generally folks said Psychonauts 2 was stronger in that area. Both have shooting aspects but generally folks think that's more of a strength for R&C. A healthy discussion can make those kinds of comparisons without getting offended. I don't think anyone has said Hi Fi Rush pales in comparison to DMC V and Bayonetaa 3 in every way. It was specifically about the combat moves being "simpler". I see nothing wrong with that.

Ultimately both games are high quality, fun action games. I don't see why we can't all agree to this single concept.

That seems to be what most are saying from what I can tell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom