• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi RUSH |OT| Dance to the Tango (Game Works)

Wait, is this game originally in japanese? faces and body expression seems too much "english-based"
Japanese voices are always the superior option when given a choice.
showme-show.gif

Edit: Also after looking it up, the main character's english VA is a Spiderman VA. Can the JP dub beat Spiderman?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It takes me back to the Mega Man Battle Network days on the Game Boy Advance despite it being a different style of game. Just got done with the first boss. I love this game thus far. So damn good!

They did a great job at crafting a game that is just straight up fun to play. I can see myself running through this one a time or two more just to pump up my scores. Not something I do that often.

Kudos to the artists and animators on this one too, it's so smooth it almost feels like you are watching an old Saturday morning cartoon from the 80s or early 90s.

The poster that said it was reminiscent of the DreamCast era really nailed it. It has that classic Sega flare to it in a way, which is high praise, IMO.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I tried to play this on the Xcloud, since I am away from my Xbox, but I can’t get past the second wave of tutorials.

Not sure if the lag is making me fail, or if I can’t understand how to perform a “Batidão”.

Guess I will wait to play once I go home.

As a gamer who constantly keeps himself updated on the daily news, it's really refreshing getting shadow drops like this. You have no knowledge whether the game is good or bad. Nobody has reviewed it yet. You just get to play it for yourself and decide whether its for you or not. Gamepass can operate like Netflix in that way, where Microsoft doesn't care whether the gamer plays the game on release day or 6 months later. It's all the same to them. So they don't need months of marketing in advance

They did a great job at crafting a game that is just straight up fun to play. I can see myself running through this one a time or two more just to pump up my scores. Not something I do that often.

Kudos to the artists and animators on this one too, it's so smooth it almost feels like you are watching an old Saturday morning cartoon from the 80s or early 90s.

The poster that said it was reminiscent of the DreamCast era really nailed it. It has that classic Sega flare to it in a way, which is high praise, IMO.

It feels substantial. It feels like a AAA game to me, and I personally see it as such. It just has a visual style commonly associated with less than AAA, but all the pieces of a bigger experience are here. It has elements as polished as any Persona game, it has some real depth to its design and combat. I'm also reminded of the way Max Payne told its story through that graphic novel style. That's how I view what this game is doing. It also establishes quite the identity for itself with those amazing animated cutscenes and the incredible combat setpieces.

RGB'D

Anyone tried it on steam deck?
It's great on Steam deck. I ended up buying it on steam to play on deck natively. I restarted the game on steam (I was only through rekka on Xbox) but it really speaks to how fun the game was that I loved every minute of replaying the levels in my new game.

RGB'D

It's ok so far.

Playing a lot of rhythm games it doesn't feel great with the way they delay the attacks to the beat. But I guess they have to have that delay for it to be playable for people with no rhythm at all.

One of the better looking cel shaded games that have come out though.

Someone has already made the Seinfeld joke right?
Umm if your hitting it on the beat, there is no delay lol.

Don’t think this is your kind of game but yeah, give it go. It’s rhythm based so timing is key. You bounced off Sekiro hard so not sure you’ll stick with it, it is way more forgiving here tho.

Production values are right up your alley.

Don’t mind timing/parry stuff, actually enjoy it

I should have given Sekiro more time. I beat ER no problem

This looks like a Dreamcast game with modern visuals. Have high hopes

DavidGzz

That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying it’s a bit premature to say it’s top 10 without having seen what the next 11 months has to offer.

Hey if someone loves it that much they love it that much, I knew Elden ring would get game of the year and out came out in February.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Its a better game than Bayonetta 3. Just got killed by the 2nd boss on normal, and it looked fucking crazy lol. Just pulled some cyborg wrestling move on me. Haven't seen anything quite like that since Vanquish QTEs.

There's just no weak point. The dialogue and voice acting are great. The music. It all crushes.

This is probably gonna be a 10/10 for me. I landed on 9.5 for Bayonetta. Still too early to score. Much more to play. I feel like I need a cigarette after a level. Just visual excitement overload.
It's a way better game than Bayonetta 3 in basically every way, and very much feels like the sort of thing Clover Studios would be doing if they were still around.

It isn't flawless. The writing is comedic in tone but never really manages to be actually funny. And some of the levels feel padded with a lot of samey corridors. But it's such a masterpiece of gamefeel.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Tango explore more out there concepts and passion projects. This is the best thing they have done yet.

It becomes crystal clear by the second level this is a game the same size and scope as a Ratchet and Clank title.

This is definitely a AAA class release imo.
I wouldn't even consider ratchet and clank rift apart a prototypical AAA release. I doubt either of these two games took more than 2 years of full development time. They are both great platformers tho

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This one very few games on Xbox that makes me kind of jealous for not coming out other systems but at same time I cant be mad about this not coming in other platforms because this is exactly type of good exclusives Xbox needs.

It also makes sad, this is type of games Sony used release in old days but this gen is all about cinematic western games.

SF Kosmo

It becomes crystal clear by the second level this is a game the same size and scope as a Ratchet and Clank title.

Yeah I mean there are obviously different tiers when it comes to the AAA space or whatever you want to call it, but this game is certainly on par with other games in the genre like Devil May Cry 5 or Bayonetta 3 in all the ways that matter.

It's why I'm kind of surprised they've positioned it as this sort of budget title GamePass fodder release. It feels like something that could have been positioned as a major release.

Maybe the strategy pays off, maybe not. The "pleasant surprise" position is certainly buying it some good will from fans, but I'm just not sure it needed the help. The game is legit.

Last edited:

geary

Yeah I mean there are obviously different tiers when it comes to the AAA space or whatever you want to call it, but this game is certainly on par with other games in the genre like Devil May Cry 5 or Bayonetta 3 in all the ways that matter.

It's why I'm kind of surprised they've positioned it as this sort of budget title GamePass fodder release. It feels like something that could have been positioned as a major release.

Maybe the strategy pays off, maybe not. The "pleasant surprise" position is certainly buying it some good will from fans, but I'm just not sure it needed the help. The game is legit.
If they would have announced it 1year before, till now would have been subject of console warrring and called out that is not and AAA and what MS is doing to Tango and stuff. I think is better to release games like this, shadow dropped

Danjin44

Who cares it AAA or AA or even indie? Is it fun and that all you need, being AAA does not always mean quality and even sometimes those highly expensive AAA games can be downright broken on release.

Last edited:

RPS37

I made a thread asking what I should play next on my SX, but it looks like it’s going to be this/Dead Space/Goldeneye instead 🤣

SF Kosmo

If they would have announced it 1year before, till now would have been subject of console warrring and called out that is not and AAA and what MS is doing to Tango and stuff. I think is better to release games like this, shadow dropped
Better in terms of good will, certainly. Better in terms of audience awareness and mind share? I seriously doubt it. If you aren't very clued in to gaming media you still haven't heard about this one.

I guess it depends on what MS's goal is here. GamePass is still a new frontier in terms of a business model.

Maybe they expect people to just log in to Game Pass and see an interesting box art and click it. Or just for word of mouth to carry it. That's definitely possible but none of my gamer friends had heard about it when I asked them and that's not a good sign.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Who cares it AAA or AA or even indie? Is it fun and that all you need, being AAA does not always mean quality and even sometimes those highly expensive AAA games can be downright broken on release.

He is a console warrior just astroturfing anything that is related to his favorite company.

Which he really doesn't need to do when the game is good enough to stand on its own, like this one is.

Danjin44

He is a console warrior just astroturfing anything that is related to his favorite company.

Which he really doesn't need to do when the game is good enough to stand on its own, like this one is.
Too many people think AAA=quality and thats not always the case. To me AAA just means it was expensive to make with expensive marketing.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Too many people think AAA=quality and thats not always the case. To me AAA just means it was expensive to make with expensive marketing.

That is exactly what it means. AAA just denotes the amount of funding a game has. Doesn't indicate quality. IF anything, these days it indicates games that play it incredibly safe with very little unique or interesting mechanics.

Kacho

He’s an infamous fanboy comparing this to a very specific game on a rival platform for obvious reasons. It’s not enough to just appreciate what Tango delivered and praise for its own qualities.

That's the best part. I don't think they positioned it as budget gamepass fodder.

I feel they confidently knew they had a banger on tgeir hands.

They just likely understood that too much advanced notice could confuse people about what it was and likely lead to negative press prior to release. Imagine saying Tango was making such a game? There would be doubts all over without the deep dive. There may have even been claims it was a smaller, episodic game or something like that. So, impressed with what they had, they confidently dropped it.

I'm referring to it as AAA for the combination of its overall meaty value offering combined with its insane polish.

Danjin44

I'm referring to it as AAA for the combination of its overall meaty value offering combined with its insane polish.
Thats not always the case with AAA games, Cyberpunk or even Bethesda's own RPGs are AAA and expensive to make but they are faaaaaaaaaar from being polish.

Again who gives fuck its considered AAA or not, I'm looking at it, the visuals looks gorgeous with super fun gameplay, I dont give rat ass its call indie game, this looks more appealing than most super expensive AAA games.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Thanks guys, looks like I’m buying. Huge music nut, and character action games were my jam back in the day so this looks like a perfect mix. I’m not sold 100% on the art but hope it’ll grow on me. Any other weapons besides the guitar? (Spoiler tag)

baphomet

There is no delay for light attacks on the beat unless performing a rest combo or a light attack combo that has a wait in it. Heavy attacks skip a beat. It's so cool. Really getting thr handle on it.

There's a delay for all attacks. Between hitting the light attack perfectly on beat and when the attack hits is a huge window. it doesn't actually land until the next beat.

Light attack pressed on beat 1 won't hit until beat 2. Heavy attack pressed on beat 1 won't hit until beat 3.

Maverick074

Banned
I haven't played this yet, and likely won't for a good while due to needing to save money and get through my backlog, but I like how the game was released
Maybe we should release more games out of the blue without all the pre-release marketing and hype

This one very few games on Xbox that makes me kind of jealous for not coming out other systems but at same time I cant be mad about this not coming in other platforms because this is exactly type of good exclusives Xbox needs.

It also makes sad, this is type of games Sony used release in old days but this gen is all about cinematic western games.
Tell me about it.

As a PS guy, I'm kinda jelly. This game looks really sick. The sour grapes and smearing that appeared in the reveal thread by certain members seems really juvenile. Hope the Xdudes and Xdudettes enjoy it.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm loving the game. Just beat the second boss, and so far I'm loving it. When people compare it to a Sega Dreamcast type game, I agree completely.

The thing is I think that Microsoft must have known they had a banger on their hands way in advance. Stealth dropping a shitty game does nothing, it just means you knew you had a turd and you didn't waste money on marketing. They had to have known this game was killer in order to dare stealth dropping it. I'm really glad to see it paying off. Honestly, this game is what Sunset Overdrive should have been (and I stil love that game, and thought it was underrated). I'm more excited than ever for what Tango is working on next. I also hope that Microsoft makes a habit of dropping these kinds of "surprises" every once in a while. Please keep letting devs make small passion projects!

Thats not always the case with AAA games, Cyberpunk or even Bethesda's own RPGs are AAA and expensive to make but they are faaaaaaaaaar from being polish.

Again who gives fuck its considered AAA or not, I'm looking at it, the visuals looks gorgeous with super fun gameplay, I dont give rat ass its call indie game, this looks more appealing than most super expensive AAA games.

You're missing the point. I'm telling MY reason why it qualifies as AAA. We know that AAA titles aren't always polished. But the point I'm making for me is that this game is fucking incredible, has layers and layers of depth, is much deeper combat and platforming wise than anyone suspected, AND it's polished as fuck. The level of creativity and inventiveness it keeps showing throughout my play-time makes it a real masterpiece.

All of that firmly places it in my AAA category. And just fantastic level design, art, animation, cutscenes, effects, and an interesting cast of characters Im very much enjoying so far. Very charming game. It's my GOTY right now. Starfield, as my most anticipated title of the year, will have to be DAMN good to top this one for me. Same for anything else.

I'm super fucking impressed.

mxbison

I don't really like Rythm games but still enjoying this since it's not that strict.

I usually have like 60-70% beat score and can still play just fine.

Also really appreciate that it's just normal levels without metroidvania elements.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is one of the greatest videogames ever made and almost certainly one of the best new IP in a very, long, long time.

This feels like old-school gaming brought to modern times.

Preach brother, xbox has been through some tough times but here we are. I hope this is a start to how exciting 2023 could be.

Could be the best year for any console in a while.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I didn't even pay attention to this when it was revealed as I thought it was some sort of anime thing.

I gave it a go off the back of the positive hype and was pleasantly surprised.

This feels as AAA as anything else, IMO. Very polished, great visuals, performance, animation, environment. No idea why some are saying AA. I'm not sure what could be better, given that the vision seems complete. I assume it must be quite short, given the price.

I think it's great that Microsoft let this out the door with no build up, no leaks and the result is people have tried it, and embraced it and it's now spreading organically. I assume that this release is an experiment for Microsoft and that they'll be trying various things in the future to see what works best for them and the players, both those subscribed and not.

I'll be interested to see what the reviews are like, seems to be universally liked on metacritic (aside from the obvious weirdos who pop up to slate things - this is obviously not a 0/10!).

Needless to say, a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

cireza

I tried the game quickly yesterday (first stage) and it was really fun. I am still surprised that such a game managed to exist in current times.

Visuals and sound design are excellent and the gameplay is super fun. Even the humor manages to have its moments. And it runs flawlessly, super clean picture and perfectly smooth.

This feels like some very cool games we had in the past such as Jet Set Radio and Viewtiful Joe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom