• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi RUSH |OT| Dance to the Tango (Game Works)

reinking

Gold Member
Are people really hating on this game that is not pretending to be a 40 hour cutscene with button prompts?

shame.
What? Are you looking for hate? I’m not seeing much. Even still, your answer is to hate on another genre?

Fight For Your Right Reaction GIF by Beastie Boys

Anybody sleeping on this game, don't do it. The game opens up in ways many still don't understand fully appreciate after the first boss battle. The game gets much deeper in terms of customization and the types of combos possible. This is a legit strong action game with much more depth than people think. The rhythm concept is just so damn clever. They got a franchise here for sure.

Still so much more to dig into and learn.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Only got to play for about 45 minutes so far, but having a good time with it. As others said, the animation and cel shading is wonder to behold. I really suck at most rhythm games (outside of guitar-hero) so I put it on easy difficulty. Good that timing the combos only gives bonus damage, so even when I miss the beat I'm still at least doing damage. I pressed the select button to enable the little rhythm meter at the bottom, that helped a lot!

My only problem is that I got a bit motion sick with the controls and fast camera movement (on PC). I'll have to go digging through the settings to see if I can alleviate that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its a better game than Bayonetta 3. Just got killed by the 2nd boss on normal, and it looked fucking crazy lol. Just pulled some cyborg wrestling move on me. Haven't seen anything quite like that since Vanquish QTEs.

There's just no weak point. The dialogue and voice acting are great. The music. It all crushes.

This is probably gonna be a 10/10 for me. I landed on 9.5 for Bayonetta. Still too early to score. Much more to play. I feel like I need a cigarette after a level. Just visual excitement overload.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The fooking soundtrack for the boss fights, the action to the music....the style, the combat, the combos, the look of it.I really can't see how this scores under 9s from anyone.

This is fucking incredible, best game of the generation outside of elden ring but that was last gen too and biggest surprise of the gen by far. Its my perfect game pretty much. Sequel is green lit for sure.

We got a new exciting IP from team xbox. Unreal!

Kacho

Gold Member
The soundtrack is great. Devs have good taste.

I know people are retarded and need everything spoon fed to them, but the constant tutorials at the beginning are a bit much. It’s much easier to ‘get it’ by playing and feeling the beat. Even my kids were able to pick it up fast. Got my 6 yo bussin out perfect combos lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Its a better game than Bayonetta 3. Just got killed by the 2nd boss on normal, and it looked fucking crazy lol. Just pulled some cyborg wrestling move on me. Haven't seen anything quite like that since Vanquish QTEs.

There's just no weak point. The dialogue and voice acting are great. The music. It all crushes.

This is probably gonna be a 10/10 for me. I landed on 9.5 for Bayonetta. Still too early to score. Much more to play. I feel like I need a cigarette after a level. Just visual excitement overload.

Yup, it's pretty much flawless. Edge are going to have a field day with this!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The soundtrack is great. Devs have good taste.

I know people are retarded and need everything spoon fed to them, but the constant tutorials at the beginning are a bit much. It’s much easier to ‘get it’ by playing and feeling the beat. Even my kids were able to pick it up fast. Got my 6 yo bussin out perfect combos lol
Repeat playthroughs will be nice with that gone. But all the people chiming in even on here saying they have no rhythm and can't do it tell me why they put in the tutorials.

GametimeUK

Hifi Rush feels like a continuation of games I loved during my youth. I would appreciate more releases like this in the future. Every game doesn't have to have an over the shoulder perspective and a "serious" storyline.

Classic game design never became bad or outdated. I hope this starts a trend.

GHG

Gold Member
This game...

Rhr4pr.png

Finished the first level. This game is fucking awesome in every way. I know I mocked them for saying it's unlike anything else out there during the showcase but they really were telling the truth. Tango:

FjFAa_9WYAEiXw4

Also whoever it was in this thread who made the recommendation to use the Japanese VO, you are a superstar. It shits all over the English VO from great height and suits the aesthetic/theme of the game perfectly.

It runs tremendously on PC, my system is twiddling it's thumbs while running this at 4k 120fps, consistently seeing under 10% CPU utilisation and under 5% GPU. Goes to show, art design >>>> all.

The game just plays tremendously well, playing it on hard difficulty and having a blast. Spent a lot of time messing around with the timings and combos, the biggest testament I can give the game is the fact that I can nail perfect combos with my eyes closed just through listening and feeling (the controller vibrates when you are hitting perfect attacks/dodges, along with the sound additions/changes - the feedback in this regard is top tier).

RhrUeZ.png

Also Greenberg you sly dog:

RhrKfF.png

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Philip IV of Xbox. Less dilly dallying and more of this please. I'll buy all your fucking games if they are this good.

I will probably restart tomorrow in the living room hooked up to the home theater system. No idea if it supports atmos but even if it doesn't it should be great with the surround sound pumped. RIP neighbors.

Last edited:

Billbofet

Just beat the second boss. Great time. As someone mentioned earlier, the platforming seems off a bit until you realize it goes with the beat as does everything in this game.
Combat is super fun - music fits perfectly. Cannot believe this was a stealth drop considering the quality.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Solid and even only after 10 minutes, the cel shading really is impressive. Any videos on how they got it to work so smooth? May be a new standard in cel shading. Aesthetics aside, technically it's a great visual style.

GHG

Gold Member
Solid and even only after 10 minutes, the cel shading really is impressive. Any videos on how they got it to work so smooth? May be a new standard in cel shading. Aesthetics aside, technically it's a great visual style.

This and Hades are a step above everything else in recent memory when it comes to cell shading. Both use Unreal Engine.

Sacred

It's hard to get excited by the footage
The weight and momentum of the character are way off
Floaty running and a jump that sucks you back to the ground

Not to mention the camera that seems to get stuck everywhere
Is it too early to say jankfest?

So you haven't even tried the game and are making these assumptions. You are wrong on everything you said, but don't comment if you haven't even booted up the game.

bender

What time is it?
Achievement notifications seem bugged but restarting your Xbox is supposed to fix this. Finished the second boss today. I'm still having a good time but it hasn't gotten its' claws into me yet. I think that has something to do with the default difficulty level.

Kacho

Gold Member
Achievement notifications seem bugged but restarting your Xbox is supposed to fix this. Finished the second boss today. I'm still having a good time but it hasn't gotten its' claws into me yet. I think that has something to do with the default difficulty level.
I just beat the second boss and was wondering where the achievements were. Just checked and I’ve unlocked 5. Guess I’ll restart my box.

Lasha

First review: 9.5

I think the game will settle around 85 when all is said and done...honestly should be a 90 based on quality/uniqueness but playing on beat is tough and I think points will be docked for that.

Docking a game whose key mechanic is playing to the beat because it requires one to play to the beat would be odd.

Are people really hating on this game that is not pretending to be a 40 hour cutscene with button prompts?

shame.
no one is hating on it, and I also don't understand your comment, the game also has cutscenes and the gameplay while good it is a copy of Dmc with rythm combos, so, are you going to hate on it because it has cutscenes?

Freeza93

Banned
no one is hating on it, and I also don't understand your comment, the game also has cutscenes and the gameplay while good it is a copy of Dmc with rythm combos, so, are you going to hate on it because it has cutscenes?
It was a joke. i thought its clear….

Kataploom

Gold Member
Also whoever it was in this thread who made the recommendation to use the Japanese VO, you are a superstar. It shits all over the English VO from great height and suits the aesthetic/theme of the game perfectly.
Wait, is this game originally in japanese? faces and body expression seems too much "english-based"

Kacho

Gold Member
Wait, is this game originally in japanese? faces and body expression seems too much "english-based"
Japanese voices are always the superior option when given a choice. Xenoblade Chronicles a prime example of that if you want to maintain your sanity.

I rolled my eyes so hard when it popped up in the stream as I hate those weird Japanese fighting games, but that rhythm element really changes that up. Real old school joy to play, and it looks so good too.

How did this happen? How did they make something this good without a word in advance? The restraint to not talk about it when they have been getting hammered so much recently is amazing.

Kacho

Gold Member
I dont think so. Only thing even slightly similar is an air juggle. Its original enough to feel like its own thing in my opinion.
The skill shop, upgrades, deep mechanics, style ranking, end level ranking, combat arenas, epic boss fights. All originated in Devil May Cry. Viewtiful Joe, Metal Gear Rising are also derivatives of that while putting their own spin on it. It’s a GOOD thing to be associated with those games.

But I won’t argue the point further. Just wanted to add my two cents.

The fooking soundtrack for the boss fights, the action to the music....the style, the combat, the combos, the look of it.I really can't see how this scores under 9s from anyone.

This is fucking incredible, best game of the generation outside of elden ring but that was last gen too and biggest surprise of the gen by far. Its my perfect game pretty much. Sequel is green lit for sure.

We got a new exciting IP from team xbox. Unreal!

I honestly agree wholeheartedly with both heavy pieces of praise. It's certainly up there as one of my favorite video games ever. This style of game, the combat, the visual style, the story and humor, all of it just naturally speak to me, so it's like a dream game of sorts. You really see the amount of work and passion that went into this one. This wasn't some small throwaway project, that's for sure. It feels like it should be a major new emphasis and direction for them going forward.

Top Bottom