• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey everyone

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore EviLore if I gift someone Gold anonymously, do you or the other admins see that I gifted it or is it anonymous to you as well?

Es8MJQs.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Bring back :

stifllersmum

cryptoaddams

mrfunsocks

slashbringhacker

ethomaz

bryank75

miyazakihateskojima

kojimahatesmiyazaki

and 3 others

Dr Aspirino

captainraincoat

KingGhidorah

VirtMcPolygon

Gediminas

Kretos

Dabaus

Sublimit

Vtecomega

Molasar

DynamiteCop!

Kholinar

longdi

Birdo

JonNeu

Mista

regawdless

Acesofspades

Tesseract

Smaug

Night Ninja

New York Finest

Stofflers

ExpandKong

MetalAllien

King of Foxes

Texas Pride

Freedom Gate Co

JordanN

#Phonepunk#

TeamGhobad

Vawn

JimiNutz

TheWhiteYosh

LuvofThaGame

JaffeLion

TaySan

Neogaf are boring without them

boring with them to be honest, same anti xbox/Pc threads/pots all the time

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Bring back :

stifllersmum

cryptoaddams

mrfunsocks

slashbringhacker

ethomaz

bryank75

miyazakihateskojima

kojimahatesmiyazaki

and 3 others

Dr Aspirino

captainraincoat

KingGhidorah

VirtMcPolygon

Gediminas

Kretos

Dabaus

Sublimit

Vtecomega

Molasar

DynamiteCop!

Kholinar

longdi

Birdo

JonNeu

Mista

regawdless

Acesofspades

Tesseract

Smaug

Night Ninja

New York Finest

Stofflers

ExpandKong

MetalAllien

King of Foxes

Texas Pride

Freedom Gate Co

JordanN

#Phonepunk#

TeamGhobad

Vawn

JimiNutz

TheWhiteYosh

LuvofThaGame

JaffeLion

TaySan

Neogaf are boring without them

Some of those were requested bans. You going to force them to come back?

Gotcha Dragging GIF by tv2norge

saintjules

Hi. I've mostly been working behind the scenes to make sure the site keeps running smoothly. The real reason we haven't built any new features lately is that Elden Ring released and has consumed the dev team's free time.

Just kidding

Or am I? :messenger_winking_tongue:
Obviously I am

But as EviLore EviLore mentioned on the last page, we have some new developments in the works that I'm excited about. Stay tuned for more information!

Have you guys considered making this thread a sticky? Maybe more people can see it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Actually, I take back what I said earlier. Whitelisting seems to be having a positive effect these past two days, so please do whitelist if you can. The ads are minimalist and clean.

There are ways to detect that ads are being blocked by a user. It wouldn't hurt to put a banner message at the top of the page asking folks to turn off their ad blocker if it is detected that ads are being blocked, just as a reminder.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There are ways to detect that ads are being blocked by a user. It wouldn't hurt to put a banner message at the top of the page asking folks to turn off their ad blocker if it is detected that ads are being blocked, just as a reminder.
Yeah, we're currently investigating that.

Star-Lord

Adding to the GAF Platinum idea, would it be easy to implement a reward system, similar to the achievements already in place, where users earn coins that can be saved up and used to buy real-life stuff? Like 500 coins for a month of Platinum, or 1500 for a t-shirt from the shop? Or is that idea just completely stupid?

Wohc

Banned
The ads here are so unobtrusive, i wouldn't mind if there was a popup or a scrolling ad.from time to time if it helps. You could start a poll how many people would be ok with more ads.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The ads here are so unobtrusive, i wouldn't mind if there was a popup or a scrolling ad.from time to time if it helps. You could start a poll how many people would be ok with more ads.
They are kind of intrusive on an iPad in Safari, but I've seen worse.

Do a GAF Gold "Blood Drive" - Reach X number of subs in the month of May and all permanent bans are forgiven one time.
That's not a good incentive. A lot of those bans are good. How about a hunger games where we take two users on a perm ban warning and subscribers get to choose which one gets banned? Or get to pick which one gets 30 days to prove themselves worthy of being unbanned?

Topher

Gold Member
Weird, just checked it out. Absolutely zero ads with Chrome. Tried Opera too, also no ads. I have a stock Realme phone and no blocking adons at all installed.

I'm seeing banner ads in Chrome on Android. Ads are typically also regional so your area may not have any allocated.

Wohc

Banned
I'm seeing banner ads in Chrome on Android. Ads are typically also regional so your area may not have any allocated.
Interesting, didn't know there was a difference between Desktop and Android when i comes to ads. I get german ads on desktop with Edge and nothing with Android. Just tried a thrid browser on Android (Edge). It asked if i want to try to block ads. I declined and still nothing. Seems you are right.

Maybe that's something the admin should have a look at since many people visit the site with their phones.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Do a GAF Gold "Blood Drive" - Reach X number of subs in the month of May and all permanent bans are forgiven one time.
how about a bad boy forum where all the banned posters get stuck in for X amount of time. Like the griefer servers in GTA Online.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Any chance of some additional payment methods for gold?

What infuriates me is my bank will take the dollar to pound conversion and they'll charge me an admin fee for it - cos you know banks are cunts and don't make enough money.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Any chance of some additional payment methods for gold?

What infuriates me is my bank will take the dollar to pound conversion and they'll charge me an admin fee for it - cos you know banks are cunts and don't make enough money.
PayPal option is on the to-do list. You can also PM me for now if you want to do an annual Gold sub via manual PayPal send.

I’ve had adblock off for as long as I’ve been a member, but using Safari on iOS on mobile I get no ads. I don’t know why.

Edit: Never mind, back when I first installed Adblock and whitelisted this site in the app, I wrote .con instead of .com

Sorry.

Last edited:

Mato

I don't know how affiliate links work. Maybe it would be possible to automatically embed a few on posts whenever a certain product is referenced? Sort of, if a member references a game in an OT top post, the game name gets highlighted. In other news I tried turning off the adblock and now I have to deal with noscript trial and error to see what sticks, cause I'm still not getting any ads. I'm a lazy bum, I'll admit.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I’ve had adblock off for as long as I’ve been a member, but using Safari on iOS on mobile I get no ads. I don’t know why.

Edit: Never mind, back when I first installed Adblock and whitelisted this site in the app, I wrote .con instead of .com

Sorry.
Another thing that can block ads on iOS Safari is if you have Firefox Focus installed. It integrates with Safari and blocks a lot of cross domain stuff, including most ads. It was blocking embedded tweets for me so I uninstalled it.

cireza

Banned
I whitelisted the site, I will be seeing ads from now on.

About Patreon, it is great to have set one up. Even if it is not much, you should put a 1$ tier. I believe that you will get more people if you do this.

Jeeves

I think I do need to recommend running NoScript in your browser if you're whitelisting ads. Even if you're running it in its least aggressive mode (disable restrictions globally). It's blocked a couple of attempts today from the ads to do...something to my computer. I'm not an expert and I'm not sure how harmful that stuff is or could be, but seemed worth a mention.

Last edited:

Gold Member
Ive whitelisted in brave browser and im still not seeing any ads. Yes Ive got the brave 'shield' down for this site too. Whats up with that?
I was messing about yesterday (meant to post this, worked late) and it is possible to not see Ads if your cookie settings are wrong - clear your cookies for the site, reload the page and when the cookie box appears make sure you at least select “Allow to store data on this device”. If that setting is not ticked you won’t see Ads apparently. At least in Chrome / Safari on Mac, so give it a shot it might work for you.

Seems odd that there is no fallback when that option is selected though, might be a bug? There is nothing I could see of any note (other than the usual tracking stuff) in Local Storage but who knows 😀

Top Bottom