• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, do you ever walk in games?

Do you ever walk in games?

• Total voters
Usually in horror games (or at least on an initial play through) because half the time you decide to run that just makes it easier for enemies to catch you off guard.

This is especially true for Dead Space, what with all those fuckers who jump out of vents.

6jDafXD.gif

Trilobit

I spend some time walking in games when I feel it's warranted in the game world. Like when it's so atmospheric and I just want to take it all in. I think I did it sometimes in BotW and Jedi: FO. Otherwise I'm mostly a jog/run around type of guy.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Say what you want about Cyberpunk but it's the only game in recent memory that induced this state of total immersion in me. Now, what do I mean by that... it's the kind of immersion where you willingly participate in activities that have zero impact or meaning from a gameplay standpoint but you do them anyway because it makes the game feel more believable and it enhances your immersion in it. For example:
  • hitting the sack every so often, and during evening hours because you realize that your character haven't had any sleep for several days now
  • taking off your character's clothes before taking a shower or going to bed
  • grabbing a snack every now and then so that your character wouldn't go hungry
  • driving around while following the rules of the road
  • or more in line with this thread - walking around and taking in the scenery when you have full control and ability to barrel through that particular section of the game.

It's also the reason why each end every bug in CP2077 stands out so much more than in most other games - every time I see a piece of geometry awkwardly clipping or folding in on itself or some other dumb bug happens, it pretty much ruins that feeling of total immersion.

Another game that made me feel this way before Cyberpunk was Kingdom Come: Deliverance and while that game had its fair share of stability issues and bugs, it did a far better job at avoiding any immersion-breaking bugs (at least after patches, I can still remember characters walking around without heads at launch, lol). I love it when games let you be this immersed in them and a lot of it depends on how much interactivity they have.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I pretty much primarily walk unless there's a sensible reason to run, or I'll get a game over for being too slow. I'll also usually run in open worlds/hub areas when I'm just trying to get from point a to be point b, or doing side content.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
MGSV is probably my favorite game of all time, but the walking animation in that games feels as funny as Mass Effect 2. Didn't stop me from walking everywhere anyway, though the stick threshold for walking is difficult to maintain in V.

What do you mean? Can u be specific please?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Btw, i reckon i walked about 80+% playing Dead Stranding ; only used those trucks for big loads...

First time playing MGSV same thing, although this time around I make full use of my horse.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
What do you mean? Can u be specific please?
Sure. The walking animation is of Snake in an always 'tense' pose, which is usually crooked or asymmetrical. Works when enemies are close and you're in the middle of combat. But doesn't feel natural for roaming or walking around in a non combative situation.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sure. The walking animation is of Snake in an always 'tense' pose, which is usually crooked or asymmetrical. Works when enemies are close and you're in the middle of combat. But doesn't feel natural for roaming or walking around in a non combative situation.

First of all, thanks for your response... secondly... I dunno man; looks like a military ingrained thing... would look weird if he was taking a relaxing stroll likes he going to buy some bread or something....

And btw.. EVERTHING around him is hostile (that's my take on it anyways)

I do get what your mean though <3

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I walk all the time in atmospheric games like RDR2 and in first person RPGs like Skyrim/Fallout.

I am still holding out hope a company will release a replacement for the Logitech G13 ! To my knowledge the only peripheral which allows you to use an analog stick for movement and a mouse for aiming on PC.

Happy walking.

GymWolf

Only when i'm trying to pick something from the ground in rdr2, shit needs precision.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Only when i'm trying to pick something from the ground in rdr2, shit needs precision.
MGSV does it best; when in close proximity to whatever object just hold down O

You can spot a plant or ammo of whatever and just hold O in advance and walk over it. Most of the time you kan keep walking... perfection

Last edited:

GymWolf

MGSV does it best; when in close proximity to whatever object just hold down O

You can spot a plant or ammo of whatever and just hold O in advance and walk over it. Most of the time you kan keep walking... perfection
Every game in existence does picking objects from the ground better than rdr2.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Every game in existence does picking objects from the ground better than rdr2

In Ghost Breakdown you have to actively aim at a marker to use its appliance. FFS. Hate that shit

I'm next to a car door under fire but if my reticule is 0.1 mm of said "use" marker it's very very frustrating. AAA folks

In MGSV you run towards the car holding O en Snake get is.. So seamless.....

Last edited:

Filben

Dont you hate it when lightly pressed you go about 2 mph and press just a tad more and your running like a thief escaping the law... gimme some middlegrounnd man...
I remember Prince of Persia 2008 as one the earliest game with seamless transition between like five different speeds. Animations were impeccable in that regard.

It's interesting to see that still in some Assassin's Creed games, e.g. in Black Flag, but you have to do some "fingerwork" on the pad: pulling RT/R2 completely will always make you run like the devil; when you only pull it slightly you can cycle through different running/jogging animations by both moving the movement stick and the trigger slightly. So even moving the trigger will change you running speed when the stick isn't fully pushed (and vice versa). It's kind of awkward to pull that off in the game and you notice it wasn't meant to be played like that. They still have all those animations however because in some instances (like interiors) you can't run full speed, so they actually animated/designed different walking/running speeds... only to be used in rare instances or when making weird inputs on your pad.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yes. Adds to immersion. I hate Mfers who just run everywhere and have no sense of immersion and making shit look cool

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I feel a little more silly doing it in an mmorpg setting or a multiplayer game where everyone around me is just running. 100% I use walking in singleplayer, stealth and atmospheric games.

Tschumi

When you said "Hey" in your thread title it was to get my attention as i walked by as Geralt in The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom