• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hervé Gengler (Playground Games): If a game was cross-platform prior to acquisition, Microsoft will not cancel any version"

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
EiiRnthXkAIthF0-scaled.jpg

About Bethesda:
"The studios were already in their development cycle and, this is a message that Microsoft communicates all the time, they are not going to suddenly stop the development of a Playstation version for example.
If your game is cross-platform, they're not going to say now it's an Xbox exclusive.
They are in a long term strategy and do not want to expressly take the game away from a community because they bought the studio."

Edit: what really stand out from this interview is that Microsoft grants great freedom to the Studios they own.

Source (in French):

Great news for all gamers !

Last edited:
This was always true. Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were always going to still come to PS5. And no one seriously thought games that are already out like Elderscrolls online was going to get removed from PS4s that already have it. I'll wait to see what games like Starfield and ES 6 do. MS has always supported pc so PlayStation gamers can use the 3080 Pcs they own.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Who?

anyway I suppose it could be true. games like Starfield/Elder Scrolls 6 could be multiplatform but any games after that would be Xbox/pc only.

or maybe MS says nope PlayStation ain’t getting anything. You wanna play starfield/elder scrolls then you’ll buy an Xbox or build a pc.

If Phil says anything then that’s what you should listen to.

I think it would be a bad move for Xbox to do this especially with Sony doing everything it can to keep games off Xbox. That being said I don’t think they will. I feel like all Bethesda games will be Xbox/pc minus online games like fallout 76 and eso. We should know soon

Airbus Jr

Banned
These guys don't make these decisions they don't know. They're just making educated guesses don't look much into it.
It is what it is !!

Elder Scroll VI is coming to Playstation 5 !!

Look at that salt !!

Hahaha!!

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
he could be telling what he thinks is the truth and still be completely wrong

Don't matter if he confident. The only people that matter are Spencer and his boss the head of Microsoft.

The fact that an insider (read: MS game developer) spoke bluntly enough about this topic should suggest pretty clear indication of where MS is headed with all this.

If he wasn't certain, he wouldn't say one way or the other. "This is a message MS communicates all the time".

That's a fairly black or white statement.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I feel we knew this already; announced platforms will be respected and inked deals remain unchanged. We've seen this already with two PS timed exclusives remaining timed exclusives even though Microsoft now own the studio.

The question is... games like Starfield and TES6 never announced their platforms: are they exclusives? The answer, I feel, is of course they are - Microsoft paid for them to be exclusives.

There really is no reason to keep bringing this up. We'll know when Microsoft buys the company and starts talking about these games. Until then all anyone can do is guess

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
My favorite thing about NeoGAF...

A Microsoft game developer strongly believes that Microsoft has a specific policy with regards to third party games based on things Microsoft tells them.

Some NeoGAF members are like "No, he is wrong. They will be exclusive."

Not really even a NeoGAF thing. More just gamers are crazy everywhere.

longdi

Banned
There really is no reason to keep bringing this up. We'll know when Microsoft buys the company and starts talking about these games. Until then all anyone can do is guess

yap, Phil said the same thing or along this line. it's those unannounced games, once the buyout is done, things will then work differently

RGB'D

This is like the second time the spokeperson talk about this

Time for the denial camp to admit the truth
I wouldn't be shocked either way. Phil said that it was a case by case situation and I wouldn't be surprised that if something was far into development, they wouldn't go ahead and release on all planned consoles. I am confident however that the best version of those releases will be on XBox/PC since Microsoft literally said that. I would expect an inferior version on competitors consoles. I doubt however that if they do release on multiple platforms for some games, that it would extend beyond the period of acquisition and projects that are far into development. I think as a new parent company, it would be tough to come to studio and say that all the work they put in designing it for a competitors console would just be thrown out, especially if the project is mostly completed. But it's not like Microsoft is going to be saying, "Lets start working on Elder Scrolls 7 to released on Playstation and Xbox."

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
This is what I think will happen

- Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein and all existing Multiplatform big names will remain multiplatform.

- All new IP will be Xbox/PC/Android/Samsung Fridges only.

Fredrik

anyway I suppose it could be true. games like Starfield/Elder Scrolls 6 could be multiplatform but any games after that would be Xbox/pc only.
And people worry about this now? That could be 15 years away...

Anyway my guess is that they’ll go Xbox+PC exclusive on everything without a signed contract for other platforms. This could mean PS5 versions of Starfield, TES6, Indiana Jones, etc. Or not, we don’t know.

Kagey K

Banned
The fun thing is most of these games (Ok Starfield only) was announced for next gen consoles, but didn’t say which.

So it could be Series X and Series S and not break any contracts.

Kagey K

Banned
The experts on GAF told me that exclusives are the only way.
The best is MS needs Sony money to make Bethesda worth it, but Sony should buy Square and make everything exclusive.

And somehow they don’t see the double standard or hypocrisy while spouting that bullshit.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Considering Microsoft's strategy of beefing up Game Pass, it could be that they are more than happy to put it on other platforms but it will only be available in subscription format for Game Pass.

In that scenario, Xbox owners get all the games for no extra cost (aside from continuing to pay their GP subscription) and everyone else has to pay full price.

I'm personally glad I didn't buy a PS5 yet because I'm slowly warming to the idea of just getting an Xbox Series X, getting Game Pass for practically everything and then maybe shelling out full price just for Fifa and Battlefield. Most likely I can get everything else I want on GP. Haven't had an Xbox for myself since 360 so there are plenty of games I haven't tried.

Last edited:

kyussman

Eh,whatever.....if all those Bethesda titles become Xbox exclusive I'll be buying an Xbox....if they stay on PlayStation I probably won't need to(although their other first party is looking much better now too,will wait and see about those),.....either way it's nothing to worry about....although lots of people do seem rather worried for some reason.

sublimit

Banned
Looking forward to see the backpedalling of some people here...and in other places...when they were so adamant about what MS will do in the future (as if they themselves were the ones making the deal).

Good thing i have bookmarked some threads and posts for future...ahem reference. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

FranXico

Game, not franchise. Stop hoping for those games to come to playstation. They have spent billions to take those games away from that platform forever.

Releasing Starfield and ES6 on PS5 will be a dumb move. Sure you will get more money but you will fail to attract new gamers to Xbox ecosystem who never owned or experienced Xbox ecosystem till now.

To increase number of subscribers of Game pass, you need those PS only gamers who also are big ES and Bethesda fans to invest either in pc or Xbox and get in Game pass to play Bethesda games. If you release games there then they will happily pay 70$ and play on ps5. MS gets cut but game pass gets no new subscribers .

My friend who was hardcore Xbox fan and never bought PS till now. Last of Us2 convinced him to experience PS and now he bought PS5 as well plus subscription. If Last of us 2 was on Xbox or PC, Sony would have made money by taking the cut, but by not releasing it on Xbox or PC, they gained not only PS system owner but also a plus subscriber.

So bottomline is you gain less by releasing your first party content on other platforms compared to bringing them to your platform.

Last edited:

John Wick

EiiRnthXkAIthF0-scaled.jpg

About Bethesda:
"The studios were already in their development cycle and, this is a message that Microsoft communicates all the time, they are not going to suddenly stop the development of a Playstation version for example.
If your game is cross-platform, they're not going to say now it's an Xbox exclusive.
They are in a long term strategy and do not want to expressly take the game away from a community because they bought the studio."

Edit: what really stand out from this interview is that Microsoft grants great freedom to the Studios they own.

Source (in French):

Great news for all gamers !

So what happens when Phil says they are exclusive to Xbox?
I would assume anything already in development they will release otherwise they are wasting time, resources and money. It could also upset some devs if their hardwork is just flushed down the drain.

Shmunter

I would assume anything already in development they will release otherwise they are wasting time, resources and money. It could also upset some devs if their hardwork is just flushed down the drain.
Sony fans will cancel Phil. Outrage culture knows no bounds.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It'll be a mix... it's almost certain Bethesda's big RPGs will be Xbox exclusive though.

But I could see iD rebelling against the idea for instance.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This was always true. Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were always going to still come to PS5. And no one seriously thought games that are already out like Elderscrolls online was going to get removed from PS4s that already have it. I'll wait to see what games like Starfield and ES 6 do. MS has always supported pc so PlayStation gamers can use the 3080 Pcs they own.
Nope, better to play it on XSX than PC for me in that case :)... not looking forward to game on PC much anymore (retro titles on Parallels/Windows through Bootcamp maybe and leaving the house machines for work and or other media task and enjoying the macOS and iOS ecosystem benefits there).

fermcr

Microsoft will not cancel any cross-platform game prior to acquisition, but they may make games timed exclusive to Xbox.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Or he doesn't say it at all

I am guessing OP lifted this from here.

No, I just listened to the interview and made a traduction, that's all

He talk about respecting "publisher contract" and not "game was in development prior the acquisition".

Stop making nonsense. That why Deathloop stay PS5 timed exclusive.
He talk about both, he specifically says it.

I won't care, I game on PC.

Denton

As long as all their games have PC version, I don't care where else they come out.

But I do hope MS's hands off approach will be upheld. MS had historically terrible management of many of their studios. Hopefully this approach will be more functional. Just support them and let them do what they want to do and do best.

Top Bottom