• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst - "We value PC gamers, and will continue to look at the right times to launch EACH game [on PC]."

Topher

Gold Member
TLOU2 will never, ever come to PC, haha. Bookmark this post. :messenger_beaming:

200.gif

laynelane

Now you don't wanna go down that route. You can always edit your post, and I'll amend your quote if you do... So speak now, or forever hold your peace.

He could be right or he could be a rare, almost mythical person rarely seen on the internet - one who doesn't care about being proven wrong.

He could be right or he could be a rare, almost mythical person rarely seen on the internet - one who doesn't care about being proven wrong.
In that case, might as well not make a claim so bold lol. It's better to be right and quiet, vs wrong and loud, at least for me. That's why I don't make claims that can be disproven.

and the last piece of the puzzle is sony releasing their version of Gamepass ...with all the exclusives at launch. I bet on it
I always wonder why this logic is used. Sony has ps now already which is cheaper than game pass and xcloud and does both combined. If anything gamepass (over 100 games) is far behind because ps now has many more games (over 700), and games can be downloaded and played on console and/or be streamed. It’s not for me though because I like to play the latest first party games so I will take it again if that would be available in the future, but the value of ps now far surpasses gamepass and/or xcloud in my opinion.

laynelane

In that case, might as well not make a claim so bold lol. It's better to be right and quiet, vs wrong and loud, at least for me. That's why I don't make claims that can be disproven.

There's always the idea a person can admit they were wrong and just move on, isn't there?

00L1soS.png
Asking in a job opening for knowledge of modern architectures does not equal actually using those architectures. They just ask if you have knowledge about any of those because the things you’ll be working with align for a big part to these things. I have my own it consultancy company and get requests like these all the time. In the end 90% of mentioned items is never used for the actual job

Last edited:

sendit

Yeah the whole PC industry is broken now.

But to be fair, your 1080 still runs both HZD and DG way better than your console. I could run HZD at 80+ fps avg 150+ fps max on my 1080ti at ultimate quality, only 1080p though but framerate is king imo.
PS4 was released in 2013
1080 Ti was released in 2017

Shocking! One would hope the top of the line PC hardware (at the time) available several years after a console release would achieve higher framerates.

Here is what PC hardware from 2013 achieved:

780 TI (MSRP: 699.99)
PS4 (MSRP: 399)

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I always wonder why this logic is used. Sony has ps now already which is cheaper than game pass and xcloud and does both combined. If anything gamepass (over 100 games) is far behind because ps now has many more games (over 700), and games can be downloaded and played on console and/or be streamed. It’s not for me though because I like to play the latest first party games so I will take it again if that would be available in the future, but the value of ps now far surpasses gamepass and/or xcloud in my opinion.
the 100 games is just a buzzword......there are more than 400 games nowdays in gp ..all can be downloaded without spending a dime more on PC or console or if you want streamed. There are also all EA play games yes including the very famous Fifa 21 that is the sole reason why many Europeans buy a console. But the real point here is that being a subscriber to gamepass you have access to all the Ms exclusives on day one. and also some big third party releases, mbl21, Outriders just to say the most recent. There is a clear difference between the two services and this is the reason why one has 25 million users and psnow despite having been launched long time before gamepass has just 3.something practically psnow is a failure. and that is why I am more than convinced that it will be rebranded and relaunched

Last edited:

laynelane

the 100 games is just a buzzword......there are more than 400 games nowdays in gp ..all can be downloaded without spending a dime more on PC or console or if you want streamed. There are also all EA play games yes including the very famous Fifa 21 that is the sole reason why many Europeans buy a console. But the real point here is that being a subscriber to gamepass you have access to all the Ms exclusives on day one. and also some big third party releases, mbl21, Outriders just to say the most recent. There is a clear difference between the two services and this is the reason why one has 25 million users and psnow despite having been launched before has just 3.something practically psnow was a half failure. and that is why I am more than convinced that it will be rebranded and relaunched

Where does the "more than 400 games" come from? In their own ads, MS says there's over a 100. It's the same for GamePass on PC too.

Kenpachii

PS4 was released in 2013

Shocking! One would hope the top of the line PC hardware (at the time) available several years after a console release would achieve higher framerates.

They do actually as the game was terrible optimized when it released on PC later patches fixed this. also 970 is probably what replaced most PC gamers PS3 area gpu's, and that card got sold for 250 bucks mostly and is still valid to this day.

So honestly not sure what u are getting towards.

Agree with a lot of the other points in the post, but why are you misquoting that?

That quote is infamous mostly because people make shit up with it and never quote it in full.

Where is the infamy or lie in that?
The reason why nobody cares about these quotes is that Jim is trying to sell rumble controls and 3D audio (headset only btw) as next gen. It's hard to take Jim seriously here.

the 100 games is just a buzzword......there are more than 400 games nowdays in gp ..all can be downloaded without spending a dime more on PC or console or if you want streamed. There are also all EA play games yes including the very famous Fifa 21 that is the sole reason why many Europeans buy a console. But the real point here is that being a subscriber to gamepass you have access to all the Ms exclusives on day one. and also some big third party releases, mbl21, Outriders just to say the most recent. There is a clear difference between the two services and this is the reason why one has 25 million users and psnow despite having been launched long time before gamepass has just 3.something practically psnow is a failure. and that is why I am more than convinced that it will be rebranded and relaunched
Ok then it’s still almost a factor 2 for games. But more important, lets see how many gamepass subscribers will be left after all the discounts are passed. Because ps now members always pay the full price so those members will likely stay, but after having 3 years of gamepass for one dollar how many people will actually going to pay the full price?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The reason why nobody cares about these quotes is that Jim is trying to sell rumble controls and 3D audio (headset only btw) as next gen. It's hard to take Jim seriously here.
Suit yourself, it is part of next generation to improve controllers and DualSense is way beyond basic rumble that DS4 was limited to: you are free to reduce haptic feedback and adaptive triggers to basic rumble, but you would be wrong IMHO, cannot disagree with that more strongly.

It is a bit like crying about innovation in tires or suspension systems “boring, that is only what connects you to the road… I want next gen car stuff instead”.

Going back to the controller… DualSense is also only one of the things he was mentioning PS5 games would need to push in a new generation and offering a leap from the previous generation (audio, headroom for VR expansion, SSD and I/O tech, etc…). Not only that, by this summer we will have had first party exclusive PS5 games (not just cross generation ones).We are free to misquote that and stretch it for comedic or console warring purposes, but people that do tend to always focus on a part of the quote or another and stretch them thin and this does not help at all in terms of the discussion feeling genuine or constructive… anyways, just a personal thought.

Immersive 3D audio is also definitely next generation and something the previous console could only do effectively with an additional box with an extra sound processor on it. PSVR2 is definitely part of the PS5 generation and Tempest 3D on headset is part of that strategy not the only thing.
Even with shitty headphones audio on PSVR was definitely very immersive and helped create a sense of presence… Tempest takes that and pushes it further also allowing devs that do not plan to make tons of use of it the way Sony planned it as a general purpose programmable DSP unit. Again, you do not have to love it personally but crapping on it like this as if it were an objective truth is unhelpful to say the least.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

English is not my native language but it would seem that you are wrong

Each can also refer to each game they are considering. Otherwise he would say every game.

Plus it can be older games, not new games etc.

Fredrik

PS4 was released in 2013

The game released on PC in 2020, I don’t see how it’s relevant what PC gaming looked like In 2013. What you highlight is just the downsides of locked console hardware, a 2017 console version is stuck using 2013 hardware while a 2020 PC version can use 2017 hardware, or better.

MonarchJT

Banned
Each can also refer to each game they are considering. Otherwise he would say every game.

Plus it can be older games, not new games etc.
the sentence is very clear ...
"I want to emphasize that PlayStation will remain the best place to play our PlayStation Studios titles at launch. But we do value PC gamers, and we’ll continue to look at the right times to launch each game. "

He saying, all games from PlayStation Studios will launch on day One on consoles, then we'll evaluate the best time to release them all, one by one, on PC.

Basically he is talking about timed consoles exclusive

There are no other ways to interpret it

Last edited:

laynelane

"I want to emphasize that PlayStation will remain the best place to play our PlayStation Studios titles at launch. But we do value PC gamers, and we’ll continue to look at the right times to launch each game. "

He saying, all games from PlayStation Studios will launch on day One on consoles, then we'll evaluate the best time to release them all, one by one, on PC.

By not explicitly saying this, Hulst leaves more than one way to interpret the statement. You may be right or the other poster may be, it's hard to say when the only who actually knows with 100% certainty is Sony itself.

Last edited:
This is kind of a dream come true, but I also can't believe it's really happening, now the only hold out is Nintendo.
Nintendo is very smart about how they develop their games. Their budget is only a fraction of what Sony spends on their AAA games. Furthermore, Nintendo doesn't reduce their games in price very much. I think the lowest price for Zelda, a now 4 year old game, was 40 bucks. My point is: Nintendo doesn't need PC in order to mitigate development cost risks. I wouldn't expect them on PC anytime soon, if ever.

Nintendo is very smart about how they develop their games. Their budget is only a fraction of what Sony spends on their AAA games. Furthermore, Nintendo doesn't reduce their games in price very much. I think the lowest price for Zelda, a now 4 year old game, was 40 bucks. My point is: Nintendo doesn't need PC in order to mitigate development cost risks. I wouldn't expect them on PC anytime soon, if ever.
I'd have to agree %100 with you there. Their stuff maintains price, and rarely ever goes on sale. They can sell the same game, over and over, and it gets gobbled up. Nintendo and Apple are the only companies that can really get away with this, so it makes sense that Nintendo won't ever *officially* come to PC, but we know that's only partially true.

I'd love to see a timeline of when Herman will release each game from their Sony portfolio onto PC.

This is great, the more people who can enjoy the amazing games of Playstation the bigger the budget will become for even more groundbreaking games.

Md Ray

I would like to see Insomniac Games' Resistance series ported to PC. Never had the chance to play them on PS3.

FranXico

Think I'll stop my plus sub too.

I'm not buying games at launch prices anymore either.

I fthis continues, I'll move to PC or Nintendo fully.
I haven't paid for plus in years, never regretted leaving it behind. Online MP paywalls are a scam.
Already have a collection of classics on PC.

EDMIX

Likewise. Irs clear as day for me what Sony's long term strategy is in regards to PC. They just dont want to piss off the fanbase so are doing it bit by bit.
As a massive fan myself, I feel they are doing a great job. The most worrying thing about this is simply the idea that the team won't focus 100% on Playstation consoles during development, so if this is just years later, I have no issue with it as my only concern really is the development being too loose or too many platforms or less focus on 1 etc. With that worked out, I don't really care that someone else gets to play Days Gone years later.

Console fans get focused on.

PC gamers get focused on.

Its a solid win win and I don't think it should really be that much of an issue as those who like PS will still buy those systems for the features offered, shit I own a gaming PC and console and this won't make me magically stop buying titles on Playstation or something. The set up I have, I'm use to and don't really want to change tbh. The fact that Series X is even selling just fine shows even with MS literally putting 100% of their AAA titles on PC too isn't really hurting them that much as gamers already know what they want.

That being said, I'll only be against this if we find out developers are running thin to put out these ports or they are done poorly etc. People mainly are worried that their favorite IP won't get the attention it needs for PS4 / PS5 cause PC, but I don't really see that as the case based on how they've been doing things lately. This isn't a AC or COD situation where they have many versions being made at once where they have to focus on the lessor

Kokoloko85

We’ll just have to see. Each game doesn’t necessarily mean every game they are going to release. It could be from a selection of games etc

Atm the have a long backlog of games they havent release.

Papacheeks

Banned
As a massive fan myself, I feel they are doing a great job. The most worrying thing about this is simply the idea that the team won't focus 100% on Playstation consoles during development, so if this is just years later, I have no issue with it as my only concern really is the development being too loose or too many platforms or less focus on 1 etc. With that worked out, I don't really care that someone else gets to play Days Gone years later.

Console fans get focused on.

PC gamers get focused on.

Its a solid win win and I don't think it should really be that much of an issue as those who like PS will still buy those systems for the features offered, shit I own a gaming PC and console and this won't make me magically stop buying titles on Playstation or something. The set up I have, I'm use to and don't really want to change tbh. The fact that Series X is even selling just fine shows even with MS literally putting 100% of their AAA titles on PC too isn't really hurting them that much as gamers already know what they want.

That being said, I'll only be against this if we find out developers are running thin to put out these ports or they are done poorly etc. People mainly are worried that their favorite IP won't get the attention it needs for PS4 / PS5 cause PC, but I don't really see that as the case based on how they've been doing things lately. This isn't a AC or COD situation where they have many versions being made at once where they have to focus on the lessor

I think the way they are releasing their titles is a smarter way of doing it. They wait a while, and have the internal team work on PC port after the game is done update/QOL wise. They can implement all of those updates and changes to the PC version. WHich is why I believe Days Gone runs so well on PC.

Horizon had issues because from my knowledge it's not a well known engine and they outsourced to a third party to work on the port. But got it all sorted. It's now a great running looking game. I think also the reason God of war got delayed to next year is also because they have people working internally on PC version of previous entry. That takes people away from internal development of the new title. Santa monic'a engine is internal so it's another similar situation with Horizon but it looks like they are not outsourcing for this port.

Ghost of Tsushima is also one that will need a good amount of work for PC because of the online portion. Especially if they are allowing cross play. Which would help carry that game beyond it's launch craze.

I'm all for this tiered style approach.

Kerotan

im sure you have some hard data from proper studies that indicate this ?
It's common sense. Gamers change platforms all the time and sometimes add platforms to their current one. PlayStation gamers are always moving to pc and pc gamers move back to PlayStation. I play with a lot of friends who've done it and lots of my ps buddies have moved to pc over the years. It will continue to be like this.

Top Bottom