• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: Sony's First Party has over 25 titles in development for PS5, almost half of which are new IPs

GuinGuin

Banned
TLOU2 is a full exclusive, which means is only available on a console brand.
Street Fighter V is a console exclusive, which means it's only available on a single console brand and on PC.
Deathloop is a timed console exclusive, which means that at launch is only available in a single console brand and some months/years later may/will be released on other console brands.

Nobody uses 'omni'.

The previous Kojima game was a Sony 2nd party game, which means it was published and funded by Sony, did use a Sony engine, got a 84 MC and was profitable.

Later, even if Sony owns the IP, Sony let them port it PC with another publisher, that port was also was profitable (very likely Sony also got part of the PC port money).

So Sony and Kojima had a good relationship before Death Stranding, and both very likely are happy with Death Stranding. So despite what rumors may say, it's very likely that they will continue working together.

Even if Kojima decides to keep or himself the IP of the next game and wants to self publish, Sony can support it as a timed 3rd party exclusive as Sony is doing with many 3rd party both AAA and indie exclusives, or even if Kojima wants to go full multiplatform since day one Sony can support him with a marketing deal as did with many 3rd party AAA and big indies before.

They recently announced Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown, an anime space opera-like Strategy RPG with mechas from Kadokawa as 3rd party Japanese exclusives, and it's rumored they will announce a Final Fantasy spin-off from Team Ninja plus they will soon have Guilty Gear Strive and Square JRPG stuff with Final Fantasy and a new AAA IP. So they are going strong betting on Japanese 3rd party exclusives, and now from Sony XDEV pretty likely they will do a better job with future 2nd Japanese party games.

I don't see why Sony or Kojima wouldn't want to continue working together in the future, specially now in Sony's side that they downsized Japan Studio, so they will release less stuff. It wouldn't be for money, because Kojima went with Sony when any big publisher would have given Kojima a blank check to go with them.

I think they are including 2nd party games in this number as long as they are getting first party help from internal studios like XDev or ICE Team.

AmuroChan

I think they are including 2nd party games in this number as long as they are getting first party help from internal studios like XDev or ICE Team.

They absolutely are. Sony internally doesn't distinguish between 1st party or 2nd party. If the game is published by Sony, they consider it first party.

AlexxKidd

TLOU2 is a full exclusive, which means is only available on a console brand.
Street Fighter V is a console exclusive, which means it's only available on a single console brand and on PC.
Deathloop is a timed console exclusive, which means that at launch is only available in a single console brand and some months/years later may/will be released on other console brands.

Nobody uses 'omni'.

Hell are you talking about? Did you quote me just to repeat what I've said throughout the thread?

yurinka

It looks like the 25 titles mentioned don't include games coming from 3rd parties.

I was already confirmed in the original quote, Hermen said they had 'more than 25' (not 25) games he was talking about PlayStation Studios games, the ones they publish (so 1st and 2nd party, not 3rd).

wOs

God fall is on PC but not on Xbox.

So a sequel to Astrobot: rescue mission doesn't count? It was a short game similar to rescue mission for PSVR.

Rescue Mission felt like more, which was really disappointing. I do like the demo though and it is usually what I usually have people play who have never seen a Ps5 before.

yurinka

"According to Hermen Hulst, a Guerrilla cofounder whom Jim Ryan tapped to lead PlayStation Studios in 2019, the group has more than 25 titles in development for the PS5—nearly half of which are entirely new IP. “There’s an incredible amount of variety originating from different regions,” Hulst says. “Big, small, different genres.”

Hermen is the head of PlayStation Studios, his group includes both 1st and 2nd party games, when he says things like that he also includes 2nd party games.Technically 2nd party games are 1st party games, because they are published by the platform holder. And beyond publishing it, as you mention in 2nd party games 1st party studios like XDEV help on different tasks from QA, to localization, to marketing, CM, PR, outsourcing or tech support.

I think Sony’s $5 billion investment to grow their own studios will prove to a better investment than Microsoft giving $7 billion to Zenimax’s shareholders to lock down Bethesda.
Yes, specially in the short and medium term because they already are integrated, and are basically giving way more resources to teams that already sell more, release more games and their recent games are better reviewed. With these extra resources the Sony teams will release more (very successful) gaes than they did before.

Last edited:

yurinka

Hell are you talking about? Did you quote me just to repeat what I've said throughout the thread?
I'm quoting you because you are things that are wrong like here:

Then you assumed wrong. Street Fighter V is on PlayStation and PC. Street Fighter V is multiplatform. "Multi" means more than one, "Omni" means all.
Technically, if we go to check the real meaning of the word 'multiplatform', SFV is a multiplatform game. But nobody uses it on videogames for cases like Street Fighter V, when it's released on a single console.

In videogmes 'multiplatform' is almost always used for games released on multiple consoles, and 'console exclusive' is almost always used for the ones released in a single console and PC, to differientiate it from a full, complete exclusive (single console with no PC version) and from games released on multiple consoles. Then there's the timed console exclusive when it's released on a single console for a certain period of time and after that it can be released on other consoles, and in many cases on PC too (very frequently at the same time of the original launch, in some cases later).

There's also the marketing exclusives, where a console platform holder locks a game to help marketing it on their channels (corporate blog, youtube channel, social media channels, events like E3 or Gamescom, etc) and not in the ones of the rival console. Pretty frequently this deal also comes with some additional tiny exclusives like getting some DLC or demos (if they exist) a bit earlier or to keep them as full exclusive, or to be the only brand to include it on console bundles or even subscription during at least a certain amount of time.

And well, nobody uses 'omni' in games for nothing.

AlexxKidd

I'm quoting you because you are things that are wrong like here:

Technically, if we go to check the real meaning of the word 'multiplatform', SFV is a multiplatform game. But nobody uses it on videogames for cases like Street Fighter V, when it's released on a single console.

In videogmes 'multiplatform' is almost always used for games released on multiple consoles, and 'console exclusive' is almost always used for the ones released in a single console and PC, to differientiate it from a full, complete exclusive (single console with no PC version) and from games released on multiple consoles. Then there's the timed console exclusive when it's released on a single console for a certain period of time and after that it can be released on other consoles, and in many cases on PC too (very frequently at the same time of the original launch, in some cases later).

There's also the marketing exclusives, where a console platform holder locks a game to help marketing it on their channels (corporate blog, youtube channel, social media channels, events like E3 or Gamescom, etc) and not in the ones of the rival console. Pretty frequently this deal also comes with some additional tiny exclusives like getting some DLC or demos (if they exist) a bit earlier or to keep them as full exclusive, or to be the only brand to include it on console bundles or even subscription during at least a certain amount of time.

And well, nobody uses 'omni' in games for nothing.

"Technically, if we go to check the real meaning of the word 'multiplatform', SFV is a multiplatform game. But nobody uses it on videogames for cases like Street Fighter V, when it's released on a single console."

Bruh, stop talking.

Oh man! I visited RE and fanboys -Sony's- made the threads viscous with their snot and tears...The level of entitlement is delicious! 😂😂😂

noise36

Hopefully some good ones in there, I like the odds , but people overate their output because of a few tent pole franchises.

Top Bottom