• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: Sony's First Party has over 25 titles in development for PS5, almost half of which are new IPs

SLB1904

Banned
Why are you calling Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule Take-out? I didn't go that far, you're foul, those are great studios capable of some great output.
what you on about?
take your fanboy goggles off.
insomniac games, sucker punch and media molecule are Sony made studios.
insomniac has been working with sony so closely like a first-party studio since the 90s. do you think the media molecule or even sucker punch is the same studios as before? now you go even further compare them to a publisher that was making games for PlayStation until yesterday.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Good stuff, hope they add some diversity to the portfolio and not just third person action adventure titles. Do a racing game for one. A fighting game. A strategy game. Heck, a FPS. The problem I have with Sony is not the amount of games, but the amount of overlap between them.
Like a rogue/bullet hell AAA shooter? Or Gran Turismo 7?

SSfox

So basically at least 23 games (Jayde Raymon game and Bungie Gaas doesn't count to me)

Also i would like to know how many japanese games are there in those 23 games, hopefully not just Gran Turismo 7 and Astro Sir Hermen.

Edit: 22 games actually, if you remove tlou1 remake as well (i don't care about that lazy cashgrab remake)

Last edited:
Third-person isn't a genre. Spider-Man does not play like God of War. TLOU doesn't play like Ratchet & Clank.

And Sony does plenty of different types of games: Racing (Gran Turismo), fighting (Guilty Strive), FPS (Killzone + Firewalk's team is working on a AAA multiplayer + GG's second time is also working on a shooter).

I never claimed it was a genre. What the fuck is Guilty Strive and how does Guilty Gear fit into the conversation of Sony first party offerings? And how long has it been since we had Killzone?

I don't feel like having this conversation. If you feel their offering is diverse enough, good for you but I respectfully disagree and I'll keep hoping they will approach it more creatively than they did in recent years.

Like a rogue/bullet hell AAA shooter? Or Gran Turismo 7?

Grant Turismo 7 does work. Returnal is still a third person action adventure title.

Ok Sony not so conservative after all. Cool. I'm liking what I have been hearing from Sony's PR lately and its getting me closer to buying a PS5.

But dont they need more than 25 games to have a service that competes against Gamepass. If services are the endgame and not hardware then Sony might be getting caught flat footed right now. I guess Sony can make it up by paying third parties to drop new games on PSnow(or whatever their Gamepass equivalent is) but I feel MS will pay enormous amounts of money to make sure they have more 3rd party Day 1 releases.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm optimistic but with only 13 studios the "over 25" seems suspect to me and would require each team to have at least 2 games in development. Then you have timeframes for these games, 2 to 3 years min it would be highly unlikely we'll see all these this gen.

I bet it's a combination of...

A) Sony has a few studios working on two games simultaneously.

B) There seems to be a redefining of the term "first party". The 2nd party games of yore, are now classified as 1st party for whatever reason.

For example, Arrowhead Studios, Jade Raymonds Haven Studios, and Firewalk Studio are all making 1st party PS5 games even though they're 3rd party companies.

pratyush

Wait till Bloomberg prints it's next story. Article is being structured at Bloomberg headquarters as we speak by certain scumbag.

On a serious note, new IP excite me. Bring new games Sony and MS.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
But dont they need more than 25 games to have a service that competes against Gamepass. If services are the endgame and not hardware then Sony might be getting caught flat footed right now. I guess Sony can make it up by paying third parties to drop new games on PSnow(or whatever their Gamepass equivalent is) but I feel MS will pay enormous amounts of money to make sure they have more 3rd party Day 1 releases.
Why do they need a service that competes with Gamepass?

I know it's the general consensus among gaming forums that Sony needs a service like this, but to be fair, first MS has to prove that Gamepass is the right model for this industry and that it is more profitable than Sony's current strategy. Unless that happens, I don't see Sony jumping ship, and they really don't need to.

Hobbygaming

I never claimed it was a genre. What the fuck is Guilty Strive and how does Guilty Gear fit into the conversation of Sony first party offerings? And how long has it been since we had Killzone?

I don't feel like having this conversation. If you feel their offering is diverse enough, good for you but I respectfully disagree and I'll keep hoping they will approach it more creatively than they did in recent years.

Grant Turismo 7 does work. Returnal is still a third person action adventure title.
Does Returnal play the same as Spider-man, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima? Do any of those play the same?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm optimistic but with only 13 studios the "over 25" seems suspect to me and would require each team to have at least 2 games in development. Then you have timeframes for these games, 2 to 3 years min it would be highly unlikely we'll see all these this gen.
With damn near everything else already being confirmed or answered in The Road to PS5....this part might be true too:

ps5-slides-01-640x360.png

playstation-5-ps5.png

This is from the ease of development part. Not saying games will be made that fast, but things should be easier to deal with.

Last edited:
Why do they need a service that competes with Gamepass?

I know it's the general consensus among gaming forums that Sony needs a service like this, but to be fair, first MS has to prove that Gamepass is the right model for this industry and that it is more profitable than Sony's current strategy. Unless that happens, I don't see Sony jumping ship, and they really don't need to.
I guess you are right. It just feels to me like like the industry is moving in that direction. But I know I am not a casual gamer. People in the gaming community think different than the casual players

Hobbygaming

Ok Sony not so conservative after all. Cool. I'm liking what I have been hearing from Sony's PR lately and its getting me closer to buying a PS5.

There's no sign of services ruling over hardware anytime soon. PS doesn't need to compete with a service that isn't even profitable

Estocolmo

Sony had more mature exclusive games last gen and even this gen than MS did....Disney like characters....can someone show footage of blowing someone's jaw off in tlou2

The thing is that Sony exclusives are not video games, they are interactive videos.
Remove the word “game” from the formula and put in interactive, you get interactive videos.

Sony games are not about the player, it’s not about YOU as the player, buts it’s Disney like story formed by corporate focus groups.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This post didnt have the effect you were hoping for :messenger_grinning_smiling:
And what was this effect exactly? i mean other than some light troll directed to their crossgen politics :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I own a ps5, everything i say always aim to push ps5 to be a better product (for my personal taste of course, not everything i say is shared by many sony fans), even in form of trolling, i'm actually hoping for 25 exclusive ps5 games when i ask "how many crossgen", not the opposite, the rest is just some flavour to make people laugh:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Ever heard of Astro, Knack, Sackboy, TLG or GT? (to name just those)

And btw those are not just Uncharted spin off, unlike where with Nintendo almost everything is Mario spin off.

Astro and Sackboy are definitely a step in the right direction. I would hope for more stuff like TLG, but Sony killed off Japan Studio so I don't know.

And 0 people would give a shit about a Uncharted spinoff.

Third person action adventure with realistic art style is pretty broad. These games are all different

Good friend. I disagree, but that doesn't mean you aren't entitled to your opinion.

You're just breaking down PS games to their simplest forms so why can't I with Nintendo games?

Because those games I mentioned are nothing alike in how they're designed.

They are definitely as different as Dreams, Astro Bot, Concrete Genie, MLB The Show, Knowledge is Power, Tearaway just to name a few.

Good, hope we get more like those. Wait, what the fuck is Knowledge is Power?

Ceadeus

Doesn't matter much as for now people are playing the waiting game.

I truly hope for Sony to push VR even more than anyone because pancake gaming has been stale. If not, well , I would like to be optimistic about advanced next gen AI, level design that pushes boundaries and new game mechanics never seen before.

Friend you are entitled to think Returnal, God of War and Spiderman are as diverse in relation to each other as Mario, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I disagree. Not sure what you're hoping to achieve here.

I mean, you think they're all the same because they're third person with a realistic artstyle

So Mario, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are all the same since they're third person with an unrealistic artstyle

SSfox

You don't know, you're assuming. Some people would definitely give a shit, and some other won't, just like i don't give a shit about the hundreds Mario spin off games.

And i'm definitely glad that milking their popular franchises it's not something Sony does, unlike Nintendo and Microsoft do with their spin off franchises.

Bartski

Gold Member
So basically at least 23 games (Jayde Raymon game and Bungie Gaas doesn't count to me)

Also i would like to know how many japanese games are there in those 23 games, hopefully not just Gran Turismo 7 and Astro Sir Hermen.

Edit: 22 games actually, if you remove tlou1 remake as well (i don't care about that lazy cashgrab remake)
lol I was about to make a joke they should now just move some of their staff from US to Japan to get their no.1 most important problem sorted but here you are :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep. Several of the studios just make one game. polyphony Digital and their baseball studio for example.

ND, GG and SSM were all hiring for new IPs so its possible they have 2 games in development simultaneously. Media Molecule took like 6 years after shipping tearaway to ship Dreams. not sure if they can put out one game, let alone two. Sony Bend is also just starting their new IP after seeing Days Gone 2 and their Uncharted reboot get canned.

I am guessing Herman is including those smaller VR titles from London Studios, Team Asobi, Pixel Opus and Sony San Mateo. Those are the only studios that I can see might have 3-4 projects in the works. We still likely wont see half of them since smaller projects are the fist to get cut.

Anyway, at E3, if Sony just shows up with Factions, GOW, Horizon and GT7 then we will know hes BSing. If they show up with those games AND 3-4 new IPs then it's time to celebrate.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They are definitely as different as Dreams, Astro Bot, Concrete Genie, MLB The Show, Knowledge is Power, Tearaway just to name a few.
Now...did you check to see if any tress were in them first....

:pie_thinking:

Because we all know every 3rd person game with the same camera angle is the same game.

yurinka

He said "more than 25".

So the Jade Raymond game + ex-Bungie bosses games + at least 24 other 1st/2nd party games.

Almost everything else in that article has been debunked by now, so who knows if the TLOU remake ever existed. But yes, very likely this remake is one of these "more than 25 games" they have under development (plus 3rd party AAA and indie exclusives).

Astro and Sackboy are definitely a step in the right direction. I would hope for more stuff like TLG, but Sony killed off Japan Studio so I don't know.

They didn't kill Japan Studio, they downsized their internal development part to focus it around their internal Team Asobi, and removed its 2nd party publishing part because they unified all their regional 2nd party publishing parts into a global team.

And an Uncharted spinoff would sell several millions of copies, like the previous ones. Millions of people will give a shit.

Good, hope we get more like those. Wait, what the fuck is Knowledge is Power?
A game for Playlink, the PS4 label for casual games that use a smartphone as controller. Sony published that and other Playlink games like Hidden Agenda, Singstar Celebration, Chimparty, Frantics or That's You!

Btw, regarding first person games, Sony published several ones on PS4 for VR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom