• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst Famitsu interview: PC Strategy, Cross-Play considered for mobile, Savage Games AAA Live Action, More Decima, Spider-Man 2 for PS5, Japan

DeepSpace5D

To be honest, I think folks nitpick wording too much. Not every single word or phrase is sculpted with layers and extra meaning to it. Not everything will be said with precision and in the best possible way.

It always seems to happen that folks kick, scream and predict doom right up until the very moment that they come out and announce a showcase. It never fails. There's plenty of reasons to expect a showcase is near, so let's all be patient and see what happens. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, we can still remain patient and wait.
Oh dude, in my case personally, I am not anxious for a showcase or new reveal in the slightest. I’m still trying to catch up with what has released this year.

It was literally just the choice of wording and that’s it. Like, why be coy about saying next gen games are in development? Especially when he basically confirms in the same interview that crossgen games are not dead yet. It just felt like, oh, you can confirm crossgen is not dead, but you hope there’s PS5 only games after Spiderman 2?

Again, just didn’t sit well with me. But it’s not a big deal at the end of the day.

vivftp

They won't abandon but there will be less. Even naughty dog are working on a multiplayer only live service game. When have naughty dog ever done that? They are known for their single player narrative games. The writing is on the wall and there will be even less single player focused games in the future. They're already lacking as it is.

Many of their studios are now multi-project, meaning they're working on more than 1 game at a time. Naughty Dog are working on TLOU MP, and they're also working on what we presume is their next big IP under Neil Druckmann. I think they may also be working on the next Uncharted under Shaun Escayg.

So no, there will not be less single player games, there will in fact be more as they're expanding on all fronts. They've got more studios than ever and have a large network of partner studios pumping out games.

SSfox

Shannon went to Google and lost her shot at the job.

Ted price wasn’t part of Sony studios until after Herman took over.

That leaves Evan wells and tbh he would’ve been a better choice than this moron. I mean how do you have the most talented studio work on last gen dlc, remaster and mp 2 years after launching next Gen consoles.

Just put shu back in charge.
Yeah Evan Wells would have been much better, but as @ kyliethicc kyliethicc said, it shouldn't have been a studio head to pick up this post. Somebody like scott rohde deserved this post much more than the other clown. We would have much more excitement now and we would be talking about real stuffs like real next gen exclusive, instead of all the PC porting, mobiles, and crossgen city.

vivftp

Yeah Evan Wells would have been much better, but as @ kyliethicc kyliethicc said, it shouldn't have been a studio head to pick up this post. Somebody like scott rohde deserved this post much more than the other clown. We would have much more excitement now and we would be talking about real stuffs like real next gen exclusive, instead of all the PC porting, mobiles, and crossgen city.

Lol, y'all folks really believe this eh? 😂

Tripolygon

Banned
Lol, y'all folks really believe this eh? 😂
Seriously. I'm always amazed at what people believe and say on this board every day.

Phil Spencer started at Microsoft as an intern, going by that logic he would never be CEO of Microsoft gaming division because apparently there is some rule that prevents studio heads from (checks notes) being in charge of other studios.
it shouldn't have been a studio head to pick up this post.
Yea a studio head shouldn't be able to take up the position of being a worldwide studio head.

Last edited:

vivftp

Seriously. I'm always amazed at what people believe and say on this board every day.

Phil Spencer started at Microsoft as an intern, going by that logic he would never be CEO or Microsoft gaming division.

It seems that folks are making up a fantasy scenario about the way they want things to be. Then they're presuming to guess the details around Hermen getting promoted, when there isn't a single person here who would know the reality. Then they're searching for the white knight to slot into their fantasy scenario, not even knowing if said person would either be qualified or interested in running PlayStation Studios. Then further on top of that, the direction of the company comes from Jim Ryan, not Hermen Hulst.

Seems so silly.

kyliethicc

Phil Spencer started at Microsoft as an intern, going by that logic he would never be CEO of Microsoft gaming division because apparently there is some rule that prevents studio heads from (checks notes) being in charge of other studios.

Yea a studio head shouldn't be able to take up the position of being a worldwide studio head.
Running PlayStation Studios isn’t being just a studio head.

Hulst is the first person I know of at SIE to come up from the dev level at an individual developer to the Sony executive level. And now suddenly he’s the head executive of all of 1st party. He went from running a team of 300-400 making a game or two at a time to managing 4000 people, deciding what games get funded, and what studios to buy - basically overnight.

Shawn Layden, Shuhei Yoshida, and Phil Harrison, the former heads of Sony 1st party, were already in the executive level before taking over WWS. Hulst’s leapfrogging of all of the other people below the chairman of WWS (Layden) is bizarre. Imagine being Connie Booth and working over 25 years as a producer and exec at Sony 1st party, managing multiple teams like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Santa Monica, helping them make hit games, and then being told “oh btw, the guy from Guerrilla is your boss now” lol.

Read this and tell me you’d pick Hulst over Booth to replace Layden.

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) has revealed its 24th hall of fame honoree: longtime Sony vet Connie Booth.

Booth joined Sony, where she held various positions within Sony Electronic Publishing Company, in 1989. In 1995, she joined the newly formed Sony Computer Entertainment America as a producer and exec producer of product development, where she worked with game studio Naughty Dog and Universal Interactive Studios to release Crash Bandicoot, the platforming adventure game whose star became one of PlayStation’s most recognizable characters.

By 1998, Booth had become the director of product development and worked on such titles as Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, The Last of Us and Marvel’s Spider-Man, to name a few. She is currently the vp product development at Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Booth is currently working on two of Sony’s most anticipated games of 2020, Sucker Punch’s Ghost of Tsushima and Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part 2.

“Over the past 25 years the scale and fidelity of games, and the teams who create them, have grown dramatically,” says Booth. “As technology has progressed, we have seen a drastic shift toward more immediate and ongoing delivery of new game content. What hasn’t changed is the essential pact between creators and players to meet and engage in deeply immersive interactive entertainment.”

Booth joins past inductees into AIAS’ hall of fame such as Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney (2012), Rockstar Games founders Dan and Sam Houser (2014), video game director Hideo Kojima (2016) and head of Halo developer 343 Industries Bonnie Ross (2019).

“We are honored to have Connie as our hall of fame recipient,” says Meggan Scavio, president of AIAS. “For over two decades, she has been a leading voice and advocate for countless PlayStation franchises as well as nurturing new talent in the industry. Her tireless work and passion have had an indelible impact on game makers, allowing their creative visions to flourish.”

Tripolygon

Banned
Read this and tell me you’d pick Hulst over Booth to replace Layden.
I’m not an executive at the company so how the fuck would I know who is a good fit for the position. I’ve never held a position at any company that requires I hire people for positions.

If people were hired based on what people on forums thought, I imagine they’d be out of business.

kyliethicc

I’m not an executive at the company so how the fuck would I know who is a good fit for the position. I’ve never held a position at any company that requires I hire people for positions.

If people were hired based on what people on forums thought, I imagine they’d be out of business.
nice cop out

Tripolygon

Banned
nice cop out
How? You asked a question I couldn’t possibly answer. How should I know who to hire in an imaginary executive position you have put me in?

You made up an imaginary position dude. I don’t know these people or have I worked with them. Lol

kyliethicc

How? You asked a question I couldn’t possibly answer. How should I know who to hire in an imaginary executive position you have put me in?

You made up an imaginary position dude. I don’t know these people or have I worked with them. Lol
You expressed an opinion about Hulst becoming head of 1st party.

Now you pretend you can’t possibly form an opinion about that same topic lol

Tripolygon

Banned
You expressed an opinion about Hulst becoming head of 1st party.

Now you pretend you can’t possibly form an opinion about that same topic lol
I expressed an opinion on the incredulity of the opinion I read on these forums every day. How does someone having been a head of a studio not be a criterion for being hired as the head of worldwide studio position? Instead of running one studio, you are in charge of running people who are running other studios, it just makes sense as that should be a good fit since you understand what it takes to run a studio.

As to why a given person is hired, how would i know? I don't know the person other than he has been a head of a studio for many years. What other internal information am i privy to form an opinion on who is more fit for the position?

Last edited:

kyliethicc

How does someone having been a head of a studio not be a criterion for being hired as the head of worldwide studio position? Instead of running one studio, you are in charge of running people who are running other studios, it just makes sense as that should be a good fit since you understand what it takes to run a studio.
Oh but how can we know? You said we can’t have opinions on these matters

kyliethicc

Go on point out where i said you can't have an opinion.

disappointed the audacity GIF by Sacramento Kings

Tripolygon

Banned
You can't comprehend what "I" means?

"I" can't have an opinion on who is more fit for the position because "I" don't know these people, "I" don't have all the information used for hiring process and "I" have never hired anyone in my life in my professional career.

Last edited:
They need to get PSN integration with PC as a priority with cross save support etc as the absolute bare minimum. I've double dipped on a few Microsoft games on steam for playing on the steam deck and would be willing to do the same for a couple of Sony games but the thought of having to start again and progress being separated really puts me off.

sainraja

I agree, that's why i bought day one Elden Ring (that can be GOTY), and will for Ragnarok and SF6. But enough is enough, it's time devs to moves on, it's 2023 and still crossgen? it's time to put a stop on this.
It really shouldn't bother anyone if a game is ALSO available on a previous gen console.

Top Bottom