• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is what I have. Please recommend me some conversation/dialogue heavy JRPGS on PlayStation 4

Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy 12
Final Fantasy 15
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Berseria
Tales of Vesperia DE
Tales of Arise
Persona 5 Royal and Strikers
Valkyria Revolution
Valkyria Chronicles 1
Valkyria Chronicles 4
The Legend of heroes 1,2,3,4
Dragon Quest 11 DE
Ni No Kuni 1

I want lots of scenes of downtime between combat. Do not suggest anything already listed or things that are more dungeon crawler with occasional scenes of talking only, like the SMT series. Oh, and must have English dub option because I am sight challenged at too great a distance.

elliot5

yeah just the entire yakuza series. and judgment i guess. Like A Dragon is turn based and has some dungeons, but overall Yakuza is very "run around, beat goons up, watch 30 minutes of dialogue, do whacky side things, repeat". Yakuza 0 is an awesome game.

edit: oh for english dub only Like A Dragon has one, but it's still a great game! Lots of dialogue scenes/cutscenes.

Last edited:
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

There are a bunch of visual novels that might be up your alley, but most of them won't have an English dub.

If you are interested in stretching into visual novel type games I would suggest 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (actually has light strategy RPG battles between lengthy dialog segments) or AI: The Somnium Files (no RPG at all, just detective stuff, but the English dub is fantastic and so is the story).

Edit: and also, again depending on what you are going after with your JRPG with tons of dialog request (do you really just want anime type games with good story?), you could try the Danganronpa or Zero Escape series, which are both murder mystery/escape room type games that have English dubs.

Last edited:
NieR Replicant is an action JRPG with great characters and story. Same with NieR Automata. Its more action than pure conversation, but it has great writing.

I hear Sakura Wars is basically a visual novel almost. Might be right up your alley.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

There are a bunch of visual novels that might be up your alley, but most of them won't have an English dub.

If you are interested in stretching into visual novel type games I would suggest 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (actually has light strategy RPG battles between lengthy dialog segments) or AI: The Somnium Files (no RPG at all, just detective stuff, but the English dub is fantastic and so is the story).

Edit: and also, again depending on what you are going after with your JRPG with tons of dialog request (do you really just want anime type games with good story?), you could try the Danganronpa or Zero Escape series, which are both murder mystery/escape room type games that have English dubs.

NieR Replicant is an action JRPG with great characters and story. Same with NieR Automata. Its more action than pure conversation, but it has great writing.

I hear Sakura Wars is basically a visual novel almost. Might be right up your alley.
This and also....
stJIF1yVqivr1P3NoKwrsbRt.png

Should have mentioned: These do not have to be system exclusive to ps4, but I do want ps4 versions, or have more convos to gameplay, just that I would like long talking segments in between long grinding segments. I don't need to grind, it's just something I like doing sometimes.
So basically, nothing Soulsborne and reminder it does need to have a Dub.

Last edited:
Thought of another, I think most if not all the Neptunia games have dubs if you wanna go hyper weeb. I only really liked the first one (they get very repetitive), but there are a lot of games in the series.

Honestly though I would check out Yakuza Like a Dragon (Dragon Quest style RPG and full English dub), and then watch some videos or something of the gameplay of 13 Sentinels and AI Somnium Files and see if they are up your alley, because the story in both those games is just fantastic and they need to be enjoyed by more people.

Thought of another, I think most if not all the Neptunia games have dubs if you wanna go hyper weeb. I only really liked the first one (they get very repetitive), but there are a lot of games in the series.

Honestly though I would check out Yakuza Like a Dragon (Dragon Quest style RPG and full English dub), and then watch some videos or something of the gameplay of 13 Sentinels and AI Somnium Files and see if they are up your alley, because the story in both those games is just fantastic and they need to be enjoyed by more people.
yeah Neptunia was a bit too much weeb for me, funnily enough. I am interested in that turn based Yakuza game, but the art style is almost too realistic and in the opposit direction. it's weird because while I do not watch anime, I like Tales of and Trails games, but I need to feel the story is at least somewhat serious. Not Nier serious, but not Neptunia comedic either. I am a hard person to shop for because my criteria is very rigid.

Metnut

FF7REMAKE is the most obvious choice for you imaginable.

Yakuza series is almost as obvious. Like a Dragon (Yakuza 7) has English and is great. Older ones don’t, but are great too and right up your alley.

gtrwll

Screams like Trails of Cold Steel-quadrilogy to me. And the rest of Trails, but those aren’t on PS4 (yet at least).

Trust me, Trails is the very definition of dialogue heavy.

E: Oh damn, I guess you had them on your list, didn’t see Trails so I jumped the gun 😅

Last edited:

Duchess

True, but I want to wait until I get a Ps5 so I can have all or most of them on one system
I played it on PS5 and my brother on PS4. When he saw it running on PS5 he said he wished he'd waited a few month for the patch :)

Guilty_AI

Uh, if you're mainly interested in dialogue/conversations, why not play some visual novels instead? JRPGs are basicaly VNs with some combat mechanics shoved in anyway

arvfab

Banned
Not going to repeat some of the obvious (and good!) recommendations which were already given.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't mentioned before:

Kingdom Hearts

The 2 collections + KH3 are all available on PS4.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

Final Fantasy XIV Online. It is an MMO, but it is Final Fantasy first and foremost. Damn near a single player game really.
This is a great choice actually. You can play the game as if it was a single player game, and there's tons of story and dialog on it (that gets better with each expansion). It's also free until level 60 or something like that, I would definitely try it out.

arvfab

Banned
This is a great choice actually. You can play the game as if it was a single player game, and there's tons of story and dialog on it (that gets better with each expansion). It's also free until level 60 or something like that, I would definitely try it out.

I wanted to do that... But SE won't let me because I participated in the PS3 beta...

Griffon

Final Fantasy 14 fits the bill better than all those other games.

WYYTLOBhNe2otQfKJ3Teu33gl7VFA7oXxt7FiNQYfUE.png

Just follow the main story quest line, and you'll have a loooot of text with short dungeons inbetween. And by the time you power through the slower ARR parts and get through to Heavensward (the first expension) you'll be hooked for good. It's genuinely the best FF of the last decade.

Unlike other mmos, there is no chains of "kill x rats" quests, it's a real story and there's little to no mandatory field combat in it.

Also, the game is free, A Realm Reborn and Heavensward are both completely free to play without any time limits for newcomers.

Last edited:
In response to the recent mod sticky about console warring, I wish to alter the parameters of this topic to also include Nintendo Switch games. All other rules still apply: English dub, no games with direct sequels because I am on a budget, nothing listed in my initial post.

Uh, if you're mainly interested in dialogue/conversations, why not play some visual novels instead? JRPGs are basicaly VNs with some combat mechanics shoved in anyway
Because I want something that has both. long cinematic scenes and conversations with optional battle grinding just because.

arvfab

Banned
If you want to start from the beginning you can just create a new account.

I know and I will probably do it this way (actually need to use a different PSN account for that). It's just annoying that I can't make use of the free trial because I played the beta (and only that!) ages ago.

Last edited:

nowhat

Is the RPG part essential? If not, Danganronpa (and the sequels) is something you might want to consider. Don't remember if there's an English dub though.

Amiga

How about just grid of the grinding all together? many good visual novels out there like Steins Gate and Psycho Pass

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is also this game coming out in October 28th.
97669526d514af3160524eab72d87edb8d41db80.jpg

Despite of its looks, it NOT a card battle game, it turn based RPG that uses cards as its aesthetics.

Top Bottom