• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill To Star in ‘Highlander reboot

Bullet Club

Don't lose your head, Henry.

Henry Cavill To Star in Lionsgate’s ‘Highlander’ Reboot From Chad Stahelski​

ToevcSJ.jpg

In the world of the Highlander films, there can be only one and Henry Cavill has his eyes on the title. Sources tell Deadline that the Man of Steel star is in talks for one of the lead roles in Lionsgate’s reboot of Highlander with John Wick director Chad Stahelski helming. Kerry Williamson penned the script.

Neal H. Moritz and Josh Davis are producing the project. Amanda Lewis, Patrick Wachsberger and Gregory Widen will exec produce. Peter Davis, the original producer of the first film, was also on board to produce before his death this past February.

The original 1986 Highlander pic starred Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and Clancy Brown as immortal beings, hunting down one another and collecting more power. The film — with its “There can be only one” catchphrase — spawned four sequels and three television series including the popular USA series starring Adrian Paul.

The plot of this latest take is unknown, as is whether Cavill will be playing a brand new character to the universe or a character from previous projects. The reboot has been gestating for a while with everyone from Ryan Reynolds to Justin Lin involved at some point, but sources say these latest pieces coming together put this film into position to get into production.

For Cavill, it gives him yet another franchise with a large fanbase after starring roles in major tentpoles like Man of Steel and Mission: Impossible – Fallout. He is currently filming the second season of Netflix’s The Witcher following its record-breaking first season. He is also set to return as Sherlock Holmes in the sequel to Netflix’s Enola Holmes with Millie Bobby Brown returning in the title role.

Cavill is repped by WME and The Garcia Companies.

Source: Deadline

Pejo

Man I forgot that at one point early in the season, the Witcher show actually featured the Witcher instead of stupid shit sideplots about witches and elves.

Anyways, on topic, I'm hopeful that this is good. I loved the original highlander and even the cheesy TV series. I like the lore of that world. Cavill is a great choice.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Good casting, but new ideas pls Hollywood.
Ack c'mon man have you ever watched Highlander lately? Both me and the missus where huge fans back in the day and stuck it on after a few jars not that long ago and holy fuck it has aged, were talking Melanie Griffith aged we switched off after about 20 mins so I'd be up for a wee remake tbh

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
That could work. I'm not hopeful that it will, but it could.

Great Hair

Banned
Why though? Watched them recently and they´re rough and it should have been Tom Hardy, a much better actor than him (range, Bronson).

How about Will Ferrell plays Highlander and John C. Reilly or Danny McBride play Ramirez? You know they´re going to crash land this. All CGi ... ; Mark Wahlberg plays Ramirez? :p

iu

epicnemesis

It really doesn't "need" one though, at least imo. Although I am open to seeing a sort of reimagining of those ideas.
When did you first watch it? I watched it for the first time like 15-20 years ago, so without any nostalgia and the 80s cheese and samurai Sean Connery distracted from an otherwise awesome premise.

mortal

Gold Member
When did you first watch it? I watched it for the first time like 15-20 years ago, so without any nostalgia and the 80s cheese and samurai Sean Connery distracted from an otherwise awesome premise.
I first watched it years ago as well, might've been 10 years ago or so although I don't remember exactly when.

lol yea I'm aware it's very 80's, but I also like that about it as well. It lends well to the aesthetic of the time. Imo at least.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Henry Cavill is going for that Sly/Schwarzenegger action hero pocket.

Last edited:

pel1300

This movie along with Final Fantasy inspired to to do thd whole vagabonding backpacking around the world.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The original films were a bit shit. The first one is okay, but the film's after that were incoherent nonsense. Not sure this is a series that is screaming for a reboot.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Who's should play the Clancy Brown part? I"m trying to think of some modern Hollywood actor who can be remotely intimidating. I'm drawing a blank.

*Nightwing

I have never seen Highlander but damn that is so bad, could fit in the cringe thread very easily
mfMmu25.gif
.....even though you right

Edit: Highlander the TV series is proof the Nobel Prize is rigged and fake by mere fact it did not win the prize for literature each year of its season because of how majestic each screenplay was for each episode

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Antonio Banderas would make for a good Ramierez (if they actually want a Spaniard for the role) but he just never ages himself, wouldn't have the gravitas. Brosnan def has the look, but an Irishman playing a spaniard these days?Hollywood would probably try to shoehorn Pedro Pascal into the role. I'd vote for Javier Bardem but he'd probably be a better Kurgan, honestly. Cavill is so big, who ever they cast for Kurgan has to be a MONSTER in size or just overwhelming in personality.

And the swordfights had better be AMAZING! Cavill needs to bring in the team that (re)did the first Witcher fight.

And Karen Gillan had better be his Scottish wife, she at least has a good accent.

FunkMiller

Antonio Banderas would make for a good Ramierez (if they actually want a Spaniard for the role) but he just never ages himself, wouldn't have the gravitas. Brosnan def has the look, but an Irishman playing a spaniard these days?Hollywood would probably try to shoehorn Pedro Pascal into the role. I'd vote for Javier Bardem but he'd probably be a better Kurgan, honestly. Cavill is so big, who ever they cast for Kurgan has to be a MONSTER in size or just overwhelming in personality.

And the swordfights had better be AMAZING! Cavill needs to bring in the team that (re)did the first Witcher fight.

And Karen Gillan had better be his Scottish wife, she at least has a good accent.

Dave Bautista nailed on for Kurgan surely?

Make Daniel Craig Ramirez for the shits and giggles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom